• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 3 best and worst Final Fantasy protagonist designs

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Like many others, I've recently started my Final Fantasy XV play-through and it got me thinking about the design for each of the protagonists in the series. It's been pretty hit and miss over the years, but I'm curious to hear who everyone thinks is the best and worst three.

Here's mine:

Best three desgins:

1) Terra Branford - just a wonderful all-around design - colorful and interesting, but not overly sexy or ridiculously overdone. One of the few protagonist designs that I would call fun.

latest

2) Cecil Harvey - both of his designs are excellent. As a dark knight, he looks like a bad ass. As a paladin, he looks more effeminate, but still maintains his imposing broad-shouldered, warrior appearance, even when depicted by Amano.

3) Squall Leonhart - I really dislike Squall as a character, but design-wise, he nails the edgy, brooding protagonist without being boring, awkward or overdone. Points for having a scar across his face, which I doubt Square would ever do again with a "pretty boy" protagonist.

Worst three designs:

1) Vaan - the metal on his shinguards/greaves and gloves contrast horribly with his... vest? I guess that's a vest? Somehow, his design is both over AND underdone.

2) Noctis - looks like he was designed by a committee. I know it's been overstated, but he really does look like he came straight out of a JPOP boy band and his face is a very generic Japanese pretty boy look that almost looks like a male Lightning. Oh, and the gap between his pants and boots really bugs me.

3) Cloud Strife - I guess we could start with the hair - it doesn't look good no matter how he is depicted. His outfit is actually really pretty boring and looks like it should be worn by a big warrior, not a thin man-boy. Also, what's up with the ginormous sword? It never really fit his character or design.

Best:
Lightning
VIII cast (Nomura at his most iconic yet reserved designs best) so will pick Rinoa and Squall

Worst:

FFIX cast bar Daggee and Vivi
Vaan, Penelo

Zomba13

Zidane might be up there with the worst. Never had much of an issue with it on PS1 but seeing the costume in FFXIV made me realise how ugly and bad it really is.

Desi

I used to really hate Noctis design from all the previous game media. During the game though his look comes off fine. All very much plausible and moves well.

Fou-Lu

Playing the Zodiac Job System Edition made me realise that making Vaan a monk makes his outfit suddenly work.

Shin guards for brutal kicks, bare chest because he's a fucking monk.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
OP I believe Cloud's sword is inspired in part by the Dragon Slayer from Berserk.

ExoSoul

Banned
Zidane might be up there with the worst. Never had much of an issue with it on PS1 but seeing the costume in FFXIV made me realise how ugly and bad it really is.

Yup, base your opinion of a character on an adaptation to another game.

OP baiting like hell with those 2 and 3 worst picks

BUT I think we can all agree Vaan's design is terrible. I would seriously pay extra if the remaster had a different outfit for him.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Vivi has to be one of the best.

latest

Terra is cool

Terra-1.jpg

She's got dumb polka-dot tights but still manages to be awesome. Thanks, Amano.

I thought Cloud's purple getup was stupid as hell when I first saw it but now I appreciate the plain-ness

Squall is pretty alright

I don't mind Zidane

Noctis just pisses me off. It's not the black, it's the stupid fucking gap between his boots and his hi-cut pants it just pissesmeoffsomuchohmygawd

The rest are just not worth mentioning or unotably stupid

You put Squall, the person who basically was the emo king of the Final Fantasy universe and the most useless protagonist ever, as one of the best?

Okay!

I agree with your 1 and 2 though, so you get credz.

Lothar

Banned
Noctis>>>>Squall.
Also Cloud is legitimately iconic so I'm not sure what the fuck OP is on about.

Squall may be the worst character ever but just looking at those two images posted in the OP, Squall at least has a interesting style about him. Noctis in that image doesn't have a style. It's just depressed child look.

rockx4

Love Terra's design too. For worst I'd put all the party members in XV.

edit: nvm, after thinking about it. For worst it's Tidus, then the entire party of XV.

Squall may be the worst character ever but just looking at those two images posted in the OP, Squall at least has a interesting style about him. Noctis in that image doesn't have a style. It's just depressed child look.
Lolwut? Not at all.

So when it comes to these characters, are we only talking about their default outfits/designs?

2) Noctis - looks like he was designed by a committee. I know it's been overstated, but he really does look like he came straight out of a JPOP boy band and his face is a very generic Japanese pretty boy look that almost looks like a male Lightning. Oh, and the gap between his pants and boots really bugs me.

Male Lightning is Cloud bro.

I can only think of two for each categories off the top of my head.

Best:
Terra
Old Noctis/ Suit Noctis

Worst:
Luso
Vaan (Better when he finally affords himself a shirt)

I've only ever played FFXV
so I'm talking pure design. But I mean, if we're going to go that route they look equally as emo.

robotrock

Banned
Are we allowed to post a picture of
Older/Punished Noctis
? Or is it still too early? Cause I want to make a list too.

While it's from the first 5 minutes of the game I still think it's probably too early.

Probably my favorite FF protagonist design though

I don't think Squall's design is bad more than it's just incredibly dated.

Fang isn't bad. Everyone in X outside of Yuna, however, are just so far over the top.

Gemeanie

I cannot believe Tidus didn't make it to the OP

Old Noctis in king uniform is one of the best designs in the series but I can't defense young Noctis much with that Sasuke-wannabe hairstyle. Thanks to that and the dumb black royal color excuse I've been under the wrong impression of him being a shitty emo protagonist for a good decade

Cloud though... LOL

Top Bottom