• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Companies by Gaming Revenue

Bernoulli

M2 slut
How about a chart for engagement?
1uHeWqO.jpg

Sony can't keep users engaged 💍🥶😞💣🏃

Wo5JDLI.png

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Revenue is a worthless number when it comes to business. Profit margin, and positive cash flows are what makes a company healthy.

This is not console warring, Sony is a very successful gaming company, and you guys know I prefer MS. This is basic accounting.
I can't call it, bro. Not after today's leaks.

I can't call it, bro. Not after today's leaks.
From what I've seen the only thing that (might have, the number might be wrong) lost money was Ratchet, and even then it was a fairly small loss. Pedowood is shitting out flops left and right that lose hundreds of millions of dollars, and everyone goes "Ooof" then goes on about their next project.

Sony is doing fine/good financially, and can keep going with this business model indefinitely. The problem (as it always is) is the investors demanding ever-increasing profits. AAA budgets are just too damn high to take any meaningful risks, and I don't know if the PS fanbase will accept 1st party AA games en masse.

The push to get a handful of GaaS games to bolster the rest of the catalogue was, and still is a sound strategy. Sony just has to be willing to risk a Redfall here or there if they want a Sea of Thieves.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
From what I've seen the only thing that (might have, the number might be wrong) lost money was Ratchet, and even then it was a fairly small loss. Pedowood is shitting out flops left and right that lose hundreds of millions of dollars, and everyone goes "Ooof" then goes on about their next project.

Sony is doing fine/good financially, and can keep going with this business model indefinitely. The problem (as it always is) is the investors demanding ever-increasing profits. AAA budgets are just too damn high to take any meaningful risks, and I don't know if the PS fanbase will accept 1st party AA games en masse.

The push to get a handful of GaaS games to bolster the rest of the catalogue was, and still is a sound strategy. Sony just has to be willing to risk a Redfall here or there if they want a Sea of Thieves.
Their in a tricky spot: without GaaS games or CoD, it's hard to justify continuing to risk making single player games like they have been in the past. I think this explains why there's been so many remasters, remakes and DLC content with the more popular IPs. Sony seems less apt to take creative risks for fear of one or two not generating the expected sales or profit margins. One big flop could do some real damage to an already fragile business method.

It's a really unique position they are in. Naughty Dog cancelling Fractions doesn't really instill a lot of confidence.

I know people don't want to hear this but, Sony seems like a hamster on a wheel right now. Only a big risk can help them here. They are literally in a position where they realize it's time to change the music or, becoming a shadow of their former selves. It kinda feels like their turning into Hollywood these days. Don't take any creative risks so they milk the hell out of Franchises they know will sell. Crazy....

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Their in a tricky spot: without GaaS games or CoD, it's hard to justify continuing to risk making single player games like they have been in the past. I think this explains why there's been so many remasters, remakes and DLC content with the more popular IPs. Sony seems less apt to take creative risks for fear of one or two not generating the expected sales or profit margins. One big flop could do some real damage to an already fragile business method.

It's a really unique position they are in. Naughty Dog cancelling Fractions doesn't really instill a lot of confidence.

I know people don't want to hear this but, Sony seems like a hamster on a wheel right now. Only a big risk can help them here. They are literally in a position where they realize it's time to change the music or, becoming a shadow of their former selves. It kinda feels like their turning into Hollywood these days. Don't take any creative risks so they milk the hell out of Franchises they know will sell. Crazy....
Given their track record, all the big budget games sell lots of copies. Days Gone is probably the worst in recent memory at around 7-8M copies. 99% of companies would kill for those sales. So if sony cant make profit on this, thats a spending issue, not a sales copy issue.

When it comes to remakes, Sackboy, Returnal etc.... the stakes are low as those games will be low sellers at low costs so the profit or losses will be negligible.

As for risk of SP or MP, does anyone really know the scale? The assumption seems that making a AAA SP game can churn out terrible losses, while a AAA GAAS game wont be as bad because the game costs less to make and the nature of the game is GAAS so there will be mtx no matter what. So it'll never be as bad. But is this even true? There's a difference between Sony doing a big budget SP game and other companies trying it (Calisto Protocol etc...) because Sony gamers buy up first party games more and even the worst rated one (DG) still gets around 70 MC.

To me, I think it's more Sony wants to take a shortcut to profits as the allure of giant GAAS is too big to give up. They are giving up their tried and true success in SP by having studios make unproven GAAS. Sony isnt even known for GAAS games (look how all their PS3 shooters turned out).

Last edited:
Wtf, has there been a Stadia 2 I don't know about?
Play Store bro. There are some single mobile games that dwarf entire publishers revenue. Without even looking at the numbers, I would make a gentleman's wager that Rovio generates more revenue than all of SEGA on a regular basis. That's just the Angry Birds franchise.

Top Bottom