• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

top ten favorite ps2 games?

In no order ( but The first one is the first ):

256px-Xeno3boxart.jpg

250px-Ffxboxart.jpg

Jak_and_Daxter_-_The_Precursor_Legacy_Coverart.png

260px-Silent_Hill_2.jpg

256px-Box-l-jp.jpg

Sotc_boxart.jpg

Ratchetandclank3box.jpg

256px-Sands_of_time_cover.jpg

250px-Mgs3box.jpg

256px-TombRaiderAnniversary.jpg

AniHawk

i'll just list exclusives. not really hard to do, but it prevents more beyond good & evil gushing.

10. katamari damacy
gaf hype and the $20 price tag did it for me. series might've been milked pretty bad, but this first game was a ton of fun. i think part of it was the value though. the low price made it feel like some sort of find.

9. final fantasy xii
i left this game and came back to it a couple of times, but the final time, everything clicked. yeah, so the story kinda isn't that interesting, but the artstyle, soundtrack, and especially the gameplay more than made up for it. aside from final fantasy x-2, it was probably the most fun final fantasy for me to play.

8. valkyrie profile 2: silmeria
2006 was a huge year for the ps2 and rpgs, and this was my favorite of that bunch. it's gorgeous, it's a lot of fun to play, and the plot twist is something enjoyable even for people who didn't play the first one (with some of my favorite creepy lines in a video game during the final fight).

7. devil may cry
this game blew me away, and the day my friend brought it to my house, i knew i was going to have to buy it. kinda the same reaction i had to bayonetta, actually.

6. metal gear solid 3: snake eater
my personal runner-up in the 2004 gaf goty vote, my opinion on it has slid a little. still, i enjoyed the hell out of it, and i like that even though it's really story-heavy, that kojima had some fun with it too. of the three metal gear games that i've played, this was the one that stood out the most.

5. klonoa 2: lunatea's veil
i bought virtua fighter 4 for $40 in 2002 expecting something more mvc-ish. i traded it in to gamestop a few days later for $30 in credit which i used to purchase klonoa 2. $40 well spent. my first platformer on a playstation console, and it was a damn good one at that.

4. dragon quest viii: journey of the cursed king
if there's any other game not by sega (or rieko kodama) that has the same spirit as skies of arcadia, it's this one. lighthearted most of the way, and surprisingly fun for a turn-based random battle rpg in 2005.

3. shin megami tensei: persona 4
this was an impulse purchase, and i so made the right choice. i'd been iffy on anymore smt after nocturne failed to grab me, but this was a lot of fun. the real-world setting and choices given to interactions or activities helped not making it feel like a dungeon crawler.

2. shadow of the colossus
like resident evil 4, once i played the demo, i was hooked. and what was great about the game wasn't just the creativity in the boss design or how the music kicked in at just the right time, or how great the music was... but just being able to ride to the ends of whatever earth you were on was fantastic. no (visible) load times, just vast, explorable land. one of my favorite moments was taking a break between boss battles and just riding out to a seaside cliff, because i wanted to see what was there. it was all polygons and fake-stuff, but man, what a view.

1. ratchet & clank: going commando
i remember very clearly buying jak ii and this game on or around the same day, and eagerly ripping into jak ii first. i played both jak and daxter and the first ratchet & clank earlier that year, and i preferred naughty dog's game to insomniac's. plus, the advertising at the time made jak ii out to be this really awesome thing. a really badass platformer all right!

well at somepoint into whatever i suppose you could call jak ii, i was extremely frustrated with my purchase, and plugged going commando in, just to see if i was 0 for 2. and instead i was blown away. tons of different weapons to buy: that was in the first game, but now the weapons would upgrade with use. and ratchet would gain health the more you killed things. just those two things alone felt like a bigger advancement over what naughty dog was intentionally doing incorrect, and it made the remaining 20 hours of jak ii (and hoping against hope that the experience would greatly improve), just that much harder.

but man, going commando was great. aside from being the first excellent 3d action-platformer, it had a ton of stuff for the player to do. i didn't stop playing this game until i had sunk over 60 hours into it, having replayed the story a total of 5 or 6 times. when i was done, i was absolutely sick of it- kinda like hearing your favorite song sung to the point where you just become numb to it. up your arsenal was enjoyable too, but it skewed more toward action for me. the dual analog controls and online modes for uya did go a long way to make up for it though.

Amplitude
Burnout 3: Takedown
SSX
SSX Tricky
Katamari Damacy
Gran Turismo 4
Grand Prix Challenge
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
ATV Offroad Fury
Ridge Racer V

ChryZ

Random order:

Gradius V
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
Silent Hill 2/3
Katamari Damacy
Technic Beat
Ratchet & Clank Series
Metal Gear Solid 2/3
ICO / Shadow of the Colossus
Odin Sphere
Okami

Negator

Star Ocean 3
Disgaea 1
Final Fantasy X
Disgaea 2
Arcana Heart
Final Fantasy XII
Guilty Gear XX
Atelier Iris
Megaman X Collection (Is this cheating?)

Pretty much in this order.

If I count imports I played:

Melty Blood: Act Cadenza

Hanmik

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Metal gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Shadow Of the Colossus
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2

that´s the top of my list.. I remember so many great games from the PS2.. and it´s hard to nail a top ten, but my list would look like that, in that order, first on my list is my nr. 1 PS2 game EVAR.... for reasons, just look at the games..

Lakitu

st5fu
Such an amazing console.

In no order:
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Jak and Daxter
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Final Fantasy X
Devil May Cry
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
Gran Turismo 4
Silent Hill 2
Shadow of the Colossus

God of War
God of War II
Resident Evil 4
Final Fantasy XII
Devil May Cry
Metal Gear Solid 2
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2

SykoTech

I was mainly a Gamecube guy last gen (bought all my multiplatform games there too), but the PS2 had plenty of good times.

Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
-A genius mix of platforming, gunplay, and humor. Their all excellent, but this was the pinnacle of the series on the PS2.

Kingdom Hearts
-Rough around the edges, but a fun romp through great Disney themes. KHII was smoother, but too much QTE abuse.

Sly 2: Band of Thieves
-The original had less BS, but I loved the heist setups here. Murray and Bentley were mostly fun too, if not used for too long.

Jak 3
-Most balanced game of the series. No collect-a-thons or repetitive tracking. The Wasteland was great to drive around in too.

Katamari Damacy
-Loved the gameplay and music. Never felt like I needed a sequel though (so never brought one).

SSX 3
-Tricky was great, but this one was my favorite. I'm kinda glad the new SSX seems to be headed more in 3's direction.

Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
-Deep yet accessible fighting game? Oh yes. Sega's height in the fighting scene.

WipEout Fusion
-My first WipEout game. Got it after playing F-Zero GX like crazy. Not the best, but it was great way to get into the franchise.

MegaMan X8
-It was pretty flawed, but probably my favorite MM console game. Too bad Capcom seems to be too scared to make another.

Final Fantasy X
-My only FF game actually. Thoroughly enjoyed it though. Will have to try another one of these days.

Unfortunately, I haven't played Team ICO's games yet. Will fix that once the Collection comes out.

Melchiah

Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Shadow of Memories (AKA Shadow of Destiny)
SSX
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
Final Fantasy X
Soul Reaver 2
Project Zero

There were some others I liked, but I wouldn't put any of them on my top 10 list.

Myriadis

I currently only have around 12 games,so I only choose 5 out of them:

1.Final Fantasy XII
It's the best RPG I've ever played.I like every character,the story is more subtile and yet still great,lots of optional things to do,good soundtrack and excellent graphics with a lot of details.Best Battle System so far,although it has its flaws.

2.Metal Gear Solid 3
Blew me completely away,story is so amazing,the characters are the best.

3.Dragon Quest VIII
Pretty close to FFXII,if it weren't for the random battles and other few flaws,like the completely uninteresting endboss (they really should've stayed with Dhoulmagus).But other than that,beautiful,with a huge explorable world and classic fantasy-RPG charm.A mix between this and FFXII would be perfect,that's why I'm looking toward Xenoblade.

4.Jak and Daxter
I simply love collectathon Platformers.Better humor than Ratchet and Clank and moar exploration.

5.Psychonauts
Same as 4.Who cares about graphics when the gameplay is amazing?

-Rough around the edges, but a fun romp through great Disney themes. KHII was smoother, but too much QTE abuse.
I think that KHII was one of the few that did QTE right.Especially because it is only one button and there are many different uses for it.But KHI has the better level design.

SykoTech

Whoops, forgot Psychonauts. Guess I was thinking I had it on the Gamecube like my other mulitplats. I'd bump off MMX8 for it.

Myriadis said:
I think that KHII was one of the few that did QTE right.Especially because it is only one button and there are many different uses for it.But KHI has the better level design.

I liked them just being on one button too, but the was just used too frequently for me. That 1000 Heartless battle was overkill. And yes, the original's level deign was superior as the sequel mainly used big, empty fields.

Still enjoyed the sequel though. Gummi ships were mildly fun this time too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
more boxarts, screenshots, descriptions, and effort--fewer text only title lists i could get by googling "best ps2 ganes evr ign forum"

Assuming I'm not forgetting anything, and ignoring compilations and games which were noticably better on other systems...

1. Jak 2
2. Okami
3. Klonoa 2
4. Ico
5. Dragon Quest VIII
6. Sly Cooper
7. Disgaea
8. Jak 1
9. Gitaroo Man
10. Suikoden 3

Honorable Mentions: Shin Megami Tensei 3, Amplitude

Londa

Banned
Not listed in any order.

• Final Fantasy XII
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Tales of Abyss
  • Kingdom Hearts II
  • Radiata Stories
  • Odin sphere
  • Soul Calibur III
  • Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
  • Suikoden V
  • Dance Dance Revolution Extreme 2

cj_iwakura

1. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
2. Growlanser II: The Sense of Justice
3. Digital Devil Saga
4. Frequency
5. Persona 3
6. Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
7. Castle Shikigami 2
8. Space Channel 5 Special Edition
9. Rez
10. Samurai Western

-Stranger-

In no order-

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Persona 3: FES
Persona 4
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami
Devil May Cry 3

1. Shadow of the Colossus
2. Okami
3. Final Fantasy X
4. Madden 2003
5. Metal Gear Solid 3
6. Zone of the Enders
7. God of War
8. Dark Cloud
9. Gran Turismo 3
10. Drakengard

Grecco

Some sort of combination of

Okami, Shinobi, MGS3, and ZOE2

I do want to try Persona 3 and 4 in my lifetime though

1. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
3. God of War
4. God of War II
5. Shadow of the Colossus
6. Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
7. Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
8. Guitar Hero II
9. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
10. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Valkyrie Profile 2
Star Ocean Till the End of Time
Kya: Dark Lineage
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
Gradius V
God Hand
Metal Gear Solid 3
Mega Man X8
Kunoichi
Mushihime

Final Fantasy XII- Huge world, tons of things to do, wonderful mature characters, nice art direction, and the best English voice work I've heard in a game. And the game doesn't treat itself like an interactive movie like some other FF games I won't mention.

Kingdom Hearts- Great music, great visuals, fun battle system, and cool FF cameos.

Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix- This is the game when the story of KH just went to stupidsville and never came back. However, the music was just as good and the visuals even better. More importantly, the controls were MUCH better than KH1 now with free camera control on the right stick and the battles were faster paced and more fun. Ton of optional quests and bosses too.

Dragon Quest VIII- This could have been one of the best if it weren't for random battles and an annoying difficulty curve. The game was tremendous otherwise, best overworld I've seen.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
thanks for reminding my about some great ps2 memories. seriously. had such a good time writing this.

vFqmO.jpg

katamari damacy - what makes katamari damacy special is a confluence of factors. one, the visual style immediately sets forth the fact that it is something very different than many other games, emphasizing simplicity of shape and a pastel color palette. two, the way you interact with the game is removed from any act of violence, which you'll notice is only true of two other games on my list (i'm surprised i have three which could be characterized this way). three, the game's soundtrack is EXTREMELY special. if i may take a brief tangent from the pace of my post on this game here and elaborate on my thoughts on the soundtrack: what i find most impressive about it is that besides the songs that are explicitly about the prince, or about a katamari, there are songs that on the surface may seem to have very little connection to the game but are in fact from within that world and constantly referencing things taking place (e.g., a love song that uses the metaphor of "rolling someone up," of becoming one with them, becoming "a single star in the sky"). the OST is probably one of the best gaming soundtracks ever. scratch that--it definitely is. to return to my reasoning, FOUR, the game's mechanic is simultaneously completely new, completely simple, but full of nuance and has room for mastery of individual levels. and five, finally, when it was released, it was $20, and represents what a success a game can be if priced correctly in the market. it sold very well because even though it was unusual and people weren't sure they'd like it, it had great word of mouth, and it was very affordable. it's one of the best games on the playstation 2, easily, and really i think one of the best examples of a video game that i've ever played.

MqscI.jpg

shadow of the colossus - i have always favored games that put a heavy emphasis on atmosphere, and if nothing else shadow of the colossus has atmosphere in spades. it does effortlessly what so few games and even so few movies do with any art at all: it introduces the world, the story, and the main character in a way that is subtle and mysterious, intriguing, and drives you forward into the world to try to understand it more. it entices you with pieces of what's happened--a long closed door opens, then locks you inside, a girl who is dead who must be brought back, a world full of inconceivable things that must be destroyed--and sets you into the landscape to solve this mystery. i will make no excuses for the game's often hideous and frustrating controls, but will say that when you acclimate yourself to them, and when you stand at the feet of something that feels giant and eclipses you, any complaints you may have about the control scheme fall by the wayside. the experience you're left with is unlike anything else you'll ever play. i don't even know a movie that has provided such a sense of atmosphere and scale as this.

Rnr0n.jpg

devil may cry - a game with a lot of flaws that has probably been surpassed by the games later in the series, but i maintain that whatever flaws it may have, it oozes style and the way dante controls is still a pleasure. the progression of the game is really just pitch-perfect video game, too--the rate at which you get new weapons and encounter new enemies is almost mathematical, giving you something new just as you feel you're settling into a groove. i'm also of the opinion that the atmosphere is much better than in later entries; it has a more gothic horror feel that it owes to its heritage as a resident evil game. it is one of the defining games of my ps2 experience.

7WqsP.jpg

sly cooper and the thievius raccoonus - i played this late--after i bought my 360, iirc--and i had not played a platformer in a good long time. i was very exhausted and bored by open world collectathon platformers. my god, this was a revelation. first of all, it's gorgeous. it struck me as a little living cartoon, with all the comic bookish story sequences and neat dark cartoon edges on all the characters. the writing was charming and funny. controlling sly, i felt like a freaking awesome talented thief, and zooming through master thief sprints after finishing the main game was, again, revelatory. you first approach a master thief sprint and fail miserably, thinking, "there is no way in hell i can ever do this in that time!" but slowly you learn to master the mechanics, to cut corners, and then before you know it you're out of master thief sprints and this wonderful game is over. you owe it to yourself to buy and play this game. it's dirt cheap now.

Lx9OC.jpg

prince of persia: the sands of time - the storybook atmosphere and sense of magic really do a lot for sands of time on subsequent replays. the parkour elements were certainly impressive at the time, but have been co-opted by tons of games, and to a great extent improved upon. what makes them lesser to me, then? it comes back to the tone, to the presentation, to the total package. the prince is telling you a story. when something goes awry, he says, "no no wait, that's not how it happened," and we return to a checkpoint. the music feels wondrous, like we've just walked into a catacomb full of gold, like we're experiencing something secret, where anything can happen. limiting the rewinding of time gives you opportunities to fail and immediately retry without removing the element of challenge altogether. the way they took that interesting new manipulation of difficulty, the alteration of punitive "game over" messages, and wove it into one of the best narratives in video games, despite its simplicity? testament to jordan mechner and the other staff in charge of writing, to ubisoft montreal. prince of persia sands of time is so, so special. i know it's multiplatform, but it was a ps2 game to me, so i place it here. i dare anyone to argue it.

K9Dvp.jpg

god hand - i would never say god hand is an easy game to like. i actually think it's an exceedingly hard game to get a handle on for some people. i played it for ten minutes when i bought it on the cheap and let it sit on my shelf a good long time. a friend bought it and raved, so off the shelf it came, back in the ps2. and holy shit. the surreality of the game is just the superficial element that will draw you in--do a search on youtube for "god hand mad midget five"--and it's the well thought out, rewarding battle system that continues to expand and grow more complex as you play that will really make you a believer. like RE4, as you fight, you can expand your fighting repertoire and form custom combos and moves that better allow you to punch angry gorillas and throw midgets into space. tank controls. yes. okay. GET OVER IT. the tank controls make it. mikami. shinji mikami. tank controls. MAD MIDGET FIVE.

aVU07.png

metal gear solid 2 - i'll save you a long diatribe about why metal gear solid 2 is great, why it's one of the essential playstation 2 games. i'll only say that playing it for the first time, the improvement of the metal gear solid mechanics and the unbelievable visuals hooked me. the game is so cinematic. it is just so so so cinematic. it's funny because you play it and you think while you're playing you have a good grasp on what's happening, because moment to moment it makes some degree of sense, but afterward if you were asked to describe the plot you'd likely find yourself very befuddled. it doesn't matter. you sneak around and you snap a guy's neck. good. good. another guard is warned. shit. that sound. BBBRP! exclamation point! he knows. i'm in a box. oh hell. he knows there's a box. wait, he's walking away. yes. i'm throwing him overboard into the sea. wait, i have a call. godzilla? i love this game.

1CkdY.jpg

kingdom hearts - a game that is more than the sum of its parts. what is great about the first kingdom hearts that is not great about the second kingdom hearts is that it strikes a good balance of complexity and simplicity. the elements of the heartless storyline are dwarfed by the strength of the vivid creation of the disney environments and characters. the point is not that you are going to a disney location to chase any particular evil. they are "the heartless," and i see their most simple incarnation, little black shadowblobs, as indicative of how important they are (not at all important). the point is to go to those places and to help with the problem, whatever that problem is. it's to hang out with tarzan and beat up on a giant lizard. you understand? the battle system i love, because yes it is chaos, yes the camera is nuts sometimes, but it is totally secret of mana, whacking on dudes with your sword or spear while your half retarded a.i. buddies do the same and get stuck on rocks. donald and goofy are vocal and the voice acting is spot-on. when goofy yells "WE DIYUD IT!" you will feel like yes, i fucking did it. i did this. the stuff to collect in the game is like crack. god, the little present boxes, i coveted them. i wanted to badly more presents, to get presents and make new weapons. to travel around to the worlds and see every part of them, to collect every trinity, to fight every boss. i exhausted everything i could do in kingdom hearts. i may never love an rpg as much as this one again. this may be the last one that i really latched on to, barring the mario ones.

rnWzr.jpg

guitar hero - i expected nothing of guitar hero. i bought it on a friday after it came out, because i was bored and had eighty dollars, and thought it'd be good for a laugh for me and my four friends. oh holy hell, how could i know? it changed us for that night. i put the guitar strap around me and start to play, held down the chords on the neck and said out loud, "holy shit guys, THIS IS LIKE PLAYING GUITAR." this seems like such a presupposed thing now, but then, it was unheard of for me. i was in shock. we stayed up until 4am playing guitar hero and being together. i love all these songs so much now. "killer queen." "more than a feeling." i had no feelings whatsoever for "more than a feeling" before guitar hero, but it hammered it into my head and now i love it dearly. it represents such goodtimes with one of the ps2's absolutely undeniably best games, one of the games that really made the system a big step forward. i still pull it out and play it to this day.

6qHRm.jpg

aggressive inline - many of you will include tony hawk. i sympathize with your lack of understanding of just how great aggressive inline is. it forgoes the completely pointless "point the skateboard forward as you land" in favor of characters riding inline skates who know how to land skating forward. it's not something you have to worry about. the trick system is elaborate and can lead to multimillion point scores in a short while when the system is mastered, and the levels--which are huge, huge, huge--facilitate that level of score mastery and exploration. my god the levels are just so creative. tony hawk at the time was thinking very inside the box, to my recollection, but aggressive inline had a sense of irreverence and a dispensing with reality that i admire so much. this place wouldn't happen, this wouldn't be that way! why is thomas jefferson telling me to do a grind on those gargoyles? because that's what is the most fun. that's why. aggressive inline is awesome because it makes things vertical. because it's easier to stay up on your skates, it lets you climb high buildings and do insane grinds, insane jumps, lets you go places you feel like you shouldn't. it's like skate platforming. it's a very special game and you should feel like dog shit if you haven't tried it. you should feel like dog shit because you ARE dog shit. once you play it, congratulations, you are my new best friend.

1.Metal Gear Solid 3
2.Metal Gear Solid 2
3.Final Fantasy X
4.Zone of the Enders 2
5.Final Fantasy XII
6.Gran Theft Auto 3
7.Devil May Cry 3
8.Persona 3
9.Digital Devil Saga 2
10.Persona 4

sublimit

Banned
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Gran Turismo 3
Onimusha
Onimusha 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
1) Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
2) Sakura Wars: So Long My Love
3) Ar Tonelico 2: Melody of Metafalica
4) Dragon Quest VIII
5) Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia
6) Final Fantasy X
7) Metal Gear Solid 3
8) Kingdom Hearts II
9) DDR MAX
10) Katamari Damacy

Stumpokapow said:
more boxarts, screenshots, descriptions, and effort--fewer text only title lists i could get by googling "best ps2 ganes evr ign forum"

Normally I do, but difficult when post from iPhone on break. :-/

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Among others, in no particular order:

- Metal Gear Solid 2
- ICO
- Shadow of the Colossus
- GTA Vice City
- Sly Cooper
- Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
- Ratchet & Clank
- Zone of the Enders 2
- Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne
- God of War 2

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Some of these games are multi-platform, but I associate them with the PS2.

GTAIII/GTA: SA
Sly Cooper 1
Amplitude/Frequency
Katamari Damacy
SSX3
Onimusha 2
Prince of Persia: SoT
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
Metal Gear Solid 2
Culdcept

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm probably forgetting a few... and there are a ton of PS2 games I haven't even played much (Persona series, GrimGrimoire, Wild Arms 4/5, Suikoden 3-5, Xenosaga 3, etc.) that I am interested in... but here goes:

rez4.jpg

Rez - the combination of the music and visuals gets me every time... I still get shivers up and down my spine whenever I fight the "Running Man" at the end of level 4. Of course, it was superseded by the HD remake for 360, but this was the first time I played the game.

dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king-20051116001247870_640w.jpg

Dragon Quest VIII - a beautiful world map, great cel-shaded graphics, and classic DQ gameplay/storytelling. Was disappointed with a lot of PS2-era RPGs but this was exactly what I was looking for.

espgaluda-6.jpg

ESPGaluda - My favorite STG ever. The "Kakusei" mode, where you engage in "bullet-time" works perfectly in its gameplay application and scoring model. Not to mention the music is catchy J-pop/trance hybrid.

shc%201.jpg

Shadow Hearts: Covenant - reminded me of a classic 32bit RPG. Great battle system, tons of interesting side-content, and a hilarious/charming storyline.

Gradius%20V%20(14).jpg

Gradius V - Treasure takes the reins on one of my favorite classic STG series. A technical masterpiece for the system, with some epic boss battles and an interesting option-control system that foreshadows the twinstick shooting genre that became popular this gen.

valkyrie-profile-silmeria-20060410020752032_640w.jpg

Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria - the storyline was a mess, and the battle system wasn't as fast-paced as the original's, but the dungeons are some of the best in the RPG genre, not to mention it being another technical showcase.

bofdq4.jpg

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - Unique SOL system that encourages replays, and some of the most interesting dungeon-hacking yet, in one of the most atmospheric environments on the PS2. All topped with a beautiful Sakimoto soundtrack.

godhand-1.jpg

God Hand - one of those games which forces you to adapt to its offbeat control scheme, but when you do, you'll realize just how much sense it makes. The perfect way to bring the beat-em-up genre into 3D, with lots of excess J-style camp that I love.

metalsagarev1.JPG

Metal Saga - niche, nonlinear RPG with multiple endings. Plus dogs with guns! Sadly, extremely overlooked.

lfrmfjlxpk.jpg

Wild Arms 3 - the PS2 era seemed to like to do away with RPG overworlds, but WA3 resisted... and what we have here is a classic, traditional RPG with a few twists and turns, and a lot of great puzzles. The most "western" of the series (in terms of setting, not gameplay mechanics thank god!), also has a ton of awesome side-content, and great soundtrack.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Snuggler said:
Sly Cooper 1 & 2
a couple of the best non-nintendo 3D platformers

i would say THE best. i would say the only thing that comes even remotely close, and it's by virtue of not trying to do anything nintendo does with their platformers. sucker punch made their OWN platformer, with idiosyncrasies and brilliant touches. it's so wonderful, that first game, that i cannot be effusive enough to relay how strongly i feel about it.

MGS 2 and 3
Bully
San Andreas
Shadow of the Colossus
Final Fantasy 12

I never played FF 10. Is it worth going back? I'm seeing it on alot of lists.

acevans2

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Final Fantasy XII
Dark Cloud 2
God of War II
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
Bully
Okami
Kingdom Hearts II

Not a whole lot different from my "favorite games of all time" list.

Proposed Law said:
I never played FF 10. Is it worth going back? I'm seeing it on alot of lists.

I think it holds up pretty well today on many levels. Hell, few JRPGs I have seen nowadays have as much graphical flair as FF X did, and the music is still amazing. Considering how cheap it is I say go for it, as its an experience not to be missed.

Tenks

1) Persona 3
2) Persona 4
3) Star Ocean 3
4) Guitar Hero III
5) Tony Hawk Pro Skater III
6) Devil May Cry 3
7) Champions of Norrath
8) GTA: Vice City
9) Radiata Stories
10) FF X

Not going to go for a full 10 list nor is this in any particular order. Sticking with exclusives here (and ignoring the fact that some got later ports to other platforms)

Shadow Of The Colossus
I knew incredibly little about this game until I played the demo, and what a demo it was. It led to much hype for the full game which didn't disappoint. The third colossus is my favourite for sheer scale (yeah the last guy is bigger but he feels more like a tower to go platforming up with a stab-able head). I don't think there was a truly weak battle in the bunch, some not as good as other to be sure but the game is paced well, doesn't overstay its welcome and has a fantastic soundtrack that makes stabbing seemingly innocent creatures an act of unparalleled glory and bravery.

Metal Gear Solid 2
And here's another game with a great demo, though despite that I didn't play this one until long after its release. But it really didn't matter because the game holds up pretty damn well. The game goes pretty bonkers towards the end as far as plot and characters go but that doesn't lower my opinion of the game. Hiding in lockers, dumping people off into the ocean and much more antics make the game a surprisingly humorous playground.

Okami
First of all I have to say that this game really does drag itself out towards the end (they don't call this a game with an in-built sequel for nothing). Also Issun never shuts the hell up and even seems to explain explanations of stuff that some other character just explained. But that aside this is a damn fine Zelda-style game with a lovely art style and some great paintbrush related mechanics. Unlike Zelda you never quite know what is going to be a dungeon which was something I enjoyed. Any game that has clockwork/robotic, posh looking Owls as a boss battle is a win in my book.

Shadow of Rome
Yeah, damn right! this game was hilarious! The plot borrows heavily from gladiator (are you not entertained satisfied?!), it has some average stealth sections and the core combat is pretty basic but none of that really matters when you carve off some fat guys arm, beat him over the head with it and then german suplex them into a spike pit. I doubt Capcom will be revisiting this anytime soon, such a shame.

WWE Smackdown: here comes the pain
This game could come with only the royal rumble and 6-man hardcore time limit matches and it would still be played to death in multiplayer. The last truly great entry into the SD series. A thoroughly enjoyable season mode with such great storylines as creating your own faction to go against Vince McMahon's new corporation. The newer games need to take a cue from this one, it wasn't going for realistic simulation, it was going for fun which is why I can leap from a helicopter to crush someone through a car in times square.

Jak and Daxter
I remember very little about this, except for that it was great fun. Alas I haven't played it since around the time it came out but I did finish it, that I am sure of. I also remember it having a sequel I'd rather forget but oh well.

Ezalc

In no order whatsoever:

K9Dvp.jpg
Ratchetandclank3box.jpg

MqscI.jpg
7WqsP.jpg

GitarooMan.jpg

I'd have a bigger list but I haven't finished Final Fantasy X or Killer 7 yet, they're next after I complete God Hand. There's also the fact that my PS2 library is pretty small so I'm still building it and etc. Plan to add Odin Sphere, DQ VIII, FFXII, and others to it as I go.

EDIT: I didn't list Okami, Resident Evil 4 nor Viewtiful Joe because I like them better on the Wii and Gamecube respectively.

avaya

Gran Turismo 3
Gran Turismo 4
Ace Combat 4: Shatter Skies
Pro Evolution Soccer 3
Pro Evolution Soccer 5
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Final Fantasy XII
Virtua Tennis 2
Grand Theft Auto 3

Dark Cloud: I
Kingdom Hearts
ICO
Jak and Daxter: Precusor Legacy
Dynasty Warriors 3
Final Fantasy X
Dragon Quest VIII
Star Ocean: Til the End of Time
Prince of Persia:Sands of Time
God of War I

edit: no idea how i dont have GTA III on here... very hard to just choose 10

NinjaJesus

Final Fantasy X
Mark of Kri
Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas
Psi-ops: Mindgate Conspiracy
Metal Gear Solid 3
Zone of the Enders
Kingdom Hearts
NBA Street Vol. 2
TimeSplitters
Dragon Quest VIII

God, I didn't think it would be that hard to choose...

Shadow of the Colossus
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
God of War 2
Guitar Hero 2
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Yakuza 2

I never finished DQ8... :(

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Gooster said:
I never finished DQ8... :(

i did not like dragon quest eight. you know a big reason why i think i did not like it, despite admiring the art style and the really incredible voice acting? the world, because it was fully 3d, felt empty, or like it wasn't as fully alive as i was hoping. buildings felt like cardboard props in plays rather than like fully populated places.

in other words, i would have preferred that dragon quest eight have pre-rendered backgrounds. sue me! for an rpg where there's not a big impetus for precision movement, and creating an intricate city atmosphere is concerned, pre-rendered all the way.

Zwei

Suikoden III
Suikoden IV
Final Fantasy X
Xenosaga I
Dragon Quest VIII
Shadow of the Colossus
Grand Theft Auto III
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories

oracrest