• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

WillyFive

So it seems that a Dairanger box set is going to be released in America after Zyuranger. Apparently they included a promo for it in the Zyuranger box set.

Some proof.

Pretty excited since I haven't seen Dairanger yet.

I think that's just the "Brand New Show Dairanger 1993" promo that aired with the final episode of Zyuranger, rather than proof that it will be sold in the US.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I think that's just the "Brand New Show Dairanger 1993" promo that aired with the final episode of Zyuranger, rather than proof that it will be sold in the US.

Good point...
Another screenshot has the subtitle say "Gosei Sentai Dairanger" instead of a translation. As placeholder. I imagine if Shout Factory got the rights, it would be "FIve-Star Squadron Dairanger"

Some FAQ suggestions for the Dino Charge OP

"What makes this season special?"
"Former head writer Judd Lynn is returning as showrunner. His previous credits include In Space, Lost Galaxy, Time Force, and RPM, all fan favorite seasons."

"Dinosaurs again?"
"Blame Toei, and look up the 'Fleeting Demographic Rule'"

"I saw promos for a big epic battle. Was that awesome?"
"Let's not talk about Megaforce... please."

"What about Go-Busters?"
"Go-Busters was a financial flop in Japan. Plus, Bandai sees dinosaurs as more profitable"

"Will they bring in MMPR and Dino Thunder and do a crossover like Kyoryuger?"
"We don't know yet."

"Is Tommy going to be in it?!"
"Go away"

"MMPR IS THE ONLY GOOD ONE!"
"Don't be a Genwunner"

jwk94

Good point...
Another screenshot has the subtitle say "Gosei Sentai Dairanger" instead of a translation. As placeholder. I imagine if Shout Factory got the rights, it would be "FIve-Star Squadron Dairanger"

Some FAQ suggestions for the Dino Charge OP

"What makes this season special?"
"Former head writer Judd Lynn is returning as showrunner. His previous credits include In Space, Lost Galaxy, Time Force, and RPM, all fan favorite seasons."

"Dinosaurs again?"
"Blame Toei, and look up the 'Fleeting Demographic Rule'"

"I saw promos for a big epic battle. Was that awesome?"
"Let's not talk about Megaforce... please."

"What about Go-Busters?"
"Go-Busters was a financial flop in Japan. Plus, Bandai sees dinosaurs as more profitable"

"Will they bring in MMPR and Dino Thunder and do a crossover like Kyoryuger?"
"We don't know yet."

"Is Tommy going to be in it?!"
"Go away"

"MMPR IS THE ONLY GOOD ONE!"
"Don't be a Genwunner"

Noted. Anyone else want to help out with the FAQ? FIgured I'd just post the Synopsis and the ranger bios for the OT.

WillyFive

No Kyoryuger thread is complete without Kyoryuger gifs.

Sweep through the TokuGAF 2013 thread for the boatloads of amazing gifs the show made during its run. If anything can make people interested in the show (and Toku in general), it's Sakamoto stunts in gif form.

BatDan

No Kyoryuger thread is complete without Kyoryuger gifs.

Sweep through the TokuGAF 2013 thread for the boatloads of amazing gifs the show made during its run. If anything can make people interested in the show (and Toku in general), it's Sakamoto stunts in gif form.

And now the realization that there's lost Sakamoto footage on the Power Rangers cutting room floor.
Surely they filmed more for the Legend War then what the series had. I mean, the whole thing was 2 minutes, and only a minute of it was new footage.

jwk94

And now the realization that there's lost Sakamoto footage on the Power Rangers cutting room floor.
Surely they filmed more for the Legend War then what the series had. I mean, the whole thing was 2 minutes, and only a minute of it was new footage.
I'm still kinda surprised they nixed the footage we saw in Troys dream.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Just got back from the ToQ vs Kyoryuger movie:

1. In general the movie was pretty meh. Last year's Kyoryu\Aba\Jyuranger crossover movie was better. This is mostly because the action scenes kinda sucked. Neither team really gets enough time to do cool stuff because ToQ is a bunch of kids for a fight, Ucchi turns into a baby (for the same fight), and the last fight was just bad. You get to see a helmetless role call but thats about it. The spirit rangers show up towards the end, but in suits only (Cyan was Blue's sister Yuko :( and I assume Grey was Grey's ancestor from the end of the series). And on the ToQ side for some reason the Shadow line folks showed up to help with the last boss (which amounted to them just standing there, really).

I know I shouldn't go into these movies with any sort of expectation they will be any good, they all pretty much universally suck, but I at least i kinda dug last years VS, this one just kinda dragged on without any stand-out scenes. There's a lot more I could talk about (like ToQ becoming kids and how the child actor for green looks hilarious) but honestly I'd rather just talk about NinNinja

2. Ninninja is going to be cool. The impression I got from them in this movie was much better than what I got from last year's VS. Only suit actors as per usual, but we got to see a little bit of each members personality. Red is a cocky\confident type (not hot blooded like Daigo, but not totally cool like Shinken Red, kind of an inbetween maybe? Or maybe the actor was just terrible). Blue is also pretty "cool", he uses magic, didn't really get much of a personality from him. Yellow is a trickster, he used a move where it looks like he was getting beat only it turning out to be a fake. Strikes me as the Michaelangelo of the group (tuned down). Not much I could glean about Pink and White other than they have a very stereotypical "oh you boys" kind of thing going on.

Action scenes were very active, lots of flipping around climbing on things, very effortless and cool. The swords were neat (the henshin sound is the song you hear in the latest trailer ("nanja nanja", very Japanese festival). One interesting thing about them is they had a shuriken that turned big monsters back down to little ones. I'm sure we'll only see that like 2 times in the whole series, but kind of a neat idea. The Gamagama Gun didn't really seem special, just a regular old sentai gun. They also did their final attack, some tornado move where Red stands on the others hands (think cheerleaders) and they kinda spin themselves up into a tornado.

They show up at the beginning of the movie, which I thought was weird, but honestly they were kind of the highlight of the whole thing :/

They did their roll call complete with graphics, and it was pretty neat (read: better than ToQ). They brought back intro lines (something I always hated about ToQ) and all the poses and what not are all very cool.

3. There's a scene where a lawn chair gets smashed. Surely they put that in there for us?

That's it! I still don't like ToQ, and I'm bummed Kyoryuger didn't stand out more (or at least weren't as cool as GoBus last year) but whatever. Bring on the Ninjas.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hell yeah.
Confession... I watched Dairanger through TV-Nihon. The quality didn't bother me as it was a 90s Sentai, compared to their later releases which look like shit.
It's nice to have a better translation now.

Actually there's a better DaiRanger sub now. He only released it after he was finished subbing all eps though, due to how TVN acted.

Corgi

Banned
man... rewatching some gobuster reminds me of how much I enjoyed the fight choreography. Everything is just feels fast and efficient... which is what youd' want from 'special agent dudes'.

Really do hope the rumors are true that gobusters will show up sometime during teh season.

At least we know they will show up during the next anniversary series where the rangers can switch to old suits "Legendary rangers from another world!"

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
pTwAg0M.jpg

lol

jwk94

First for Dino Charge episode summaries

501 – Powers From The Past (2/7)
Millions of years after the mysterious and powerful Energems were entrusted to the now extinct dinosaurs for protection from a ruthless bounty hunter, a pair of courageous teens find themselves in possession of two of these long lost precious artifacts, and come face to face with a monster who will do everything in his power to steal them for himself.

502 – Past, Present and Fusion (2/14)
A new teen finds his own Energem and joins Tyler and Shelby on their pilgrimage to the Dinosaur Museum, where they learn they are a part of the elite team called the Power Rangers. They are entrusted with protecting the Energems from a fierce bounty hunter named Sledge, who has returned and is more determined than ever to capture the Energems for himself.

503 – A Fools Hour (2/21)
Sledge arrives on Earth to confront Keeper and the Rangers. He gives them a deadline to return the Energems, but coming up with a plan to fight back gets compromised when Tyler goes after Fury on his own. Can the Rangers figure out how to work as a team?

504 – Return Of The Caveman (2/28)
Chase tries to help Koda adapt to modern day technology after he struggles to learn how to ride their new high tech Dino Cycles. But when they are caged in a cave by one of Sledge’s monsters, Koda must rely on his caveman instincts to escape and save his friend.

Slayven

Just got back from the ToQ vs Kyoryuger movie:

1. In general the movie was pretty meh. Last year's Kyoryu\Aba\Jyuranger crossover movie was better. This is mostly because the action scenes kinda sucked. Neither team really gets enough time to do cool stuff because ToQ is a bunch of kids for a fight, Ucchi turns into a baby (for the same fight), and the last fight was just bad. You get to see a helmetless role call but thats about it. The spirit rangers show up towards the end, but in suits only (Cyan was Blue's sister Yuko :( and I assume Grey was Grey's ancestor from the end of the series). And on the ToQ side for some reason the Shadow line folks showed up to help with the last boss (which amounted to them just standing there, really).

I know I shouldn't go into these movies with any sort of expectation they will be any good, they all pretty much universally suck, but I at least i kinda dug last years VS, this one just kinda dragged on without any stand-out scenes. There's a lot more I could talk about (like ToQ becoming kids and how the child actor for green looks hilarious) but honestly I'd rather just talk about NinNinja

2. Ninninja is going to be cool. The impression I got from them in this movie was much better than what I got from last year's VS. Only suit actors as per usual, but we got to see a little bit of each members personality. Red is a cocky\confident type (not hot blooded like Daigo, but not totally cool like Shinken Red, kind of an inbetween maybe? Or maybe the actor was just terrible). Blue is also pretty "cool", he uses magic, didn't really get much of a personality from him. Yellow is a trickster, he used a move where it looks like he was getting beat only it turning out to be a fake. Strikes me as the Michaelangelo of the group (tuned down). Not much I could glean about Pink and White other than they have a very stereotypical "oh you boys" kind of thing going on.

Action scenes were very active, lots of flipping around climbing on things, very effortless and cool. The swords were neat (the henshin sound is the song you hear in the latest trailer ("nanja nanja", very Japanese festival). One interesting thing about them is they had a shuriken that turned big monsters back down to little ones. I'm sure we'll only see that like 2 times in the whole series, but kind of a neat idea. The Gamagama Gun didn't really seem special, just a regular old sentai gun. They also did their final attack, some tornado move where Red stands on the others hands (think cheerleaders) and they kinda spin themselves up into a tornado.

They show up at the beginning of the movie, which I thought was weird, but honestly they were kind of the highlight of the whole thing :/

They did their roll call complete with graphics, and it was pretty neat (read: better than ToQ). They brought back intro lines (something I always hated about ToQ) and all the poses and what not are all very cool.

3. There's a scene where a lawn chair gets smashed. Surely they put that in there for us?

That's it! I still don't like ToQ, and I'm bummed Kyoryuger didn't stand out more (or at least weren't as cool as GoBus last year) but whatever. Bring on the Ninjas.

How was King's hair?

BatDan

Keeper, you say?

I wonder if we'll get a new Torin, Doggie Kruger style.

Cast listings for the Keeper reveal a woman. So she's probably an original character. Unless they're gender-swapping Torin... nah that would be dumb

javadoze

Some more character listings from a magazine for Ninninger.

Takaharu Igasaki/RedNinja is the ‘act first, think later’ type. Always acting like a big brother, he’s the center that pulls the group together. He’s extremely caring and is forever an optimist even in the poorest situations, thinking “everything will work itself out”.

Fuuka Igasaki/WhiteNinja is a pure, positive girl and a very hard worker. The sister of Takaharu, her “level-headed” nature was influenced by her older brother and she can be swayed by him. It seems that she gets a bit angry/violent when she’s depressed.

Nagi Matsuo/YellowNinja has a friendly personality featuring all the hallmarks of youth. It may seem like he isn’t paying attention, but he’s actually calmly observing his surroundings. He’s a “qualification maniac” who has acquired a variety of skills and credentials for the future. He’s even got qualifications for a ninja!?

I guess this means we're getting the same personality for Red three shows in a row? (Then again, I feel like there's some definite differences between Daigo and Right, so maybe not.)

WarRock

Shinkenger 25 and 26 I guess
Oooooh boy I'm so pissed. You have a story arc about Dayu and Pink, with the recurrent plot Juuzo x Red as background. Then the Juuzo duel becomes the focus. Eh, ok.

But then they completely throw out Pink's newfound resolve and secondary focus in favor of Blue, with a really shitty conflict (and overnight resolution), making him THE guy of the episode, leading the team while Red duels and using the new power up. why

And the duel ended very anticlimactically. I was expecting something new about Take after the fight. I HOPE Juuzo isn't dead from simply that.
Edit-
also how the fuck Dayu isn't dry yet

man... rewatching some gobuster reminds me of how much I enjoyed the fight choreography. Everything is just feels fast and efficient... which is what youd' want from 'special agent dudes'.
All that throat slicing, compact throwing and binaries "hitsparks"... nggghh.

BatDan

Damn, can't even afford food. Even Saban Brands isn't that cheap, the actors can at least eat.

Kinda related to Shinkenger: ShinkenRed's actor talks about being paid in peanuts while working on Shinkenger.

And here I thought Power Ranger actors were underpaid...

Yeah, it's pretty bad, but they do it because it's a step-stone to bigger stardom due to the "older mom" audience. Basically, many male actors jump from Sentai/Rider into Jdrama. The line tends to be Musicals (Prince of Tennis) > Toku > Jdrama.

Big winners in this area tend to be Riders, including Hiro Mizushima (Kabuto), Takeru Sato (Den-O), and recently Sota Fukushi (Fourze).

sprsk

Yeah, it's pretty bad, but they do it because it's a step-stone to bigger stardom due to the "older mom" audience. Basically, many male actors jump from Sentai/Rider into Jdrama. The line tends to be Musicals (Prince of Tennis) > Toku > Jdrama.

Big winners in this area tend to be Riders, including Hiro Mizushima (Kabuto), Takeru Sato (Den-O), and recently Sota Fukushi (Fourze).

Jump from super sentai is prettttty rare, its almost all riders, with this guy being the rare exception (you can include gaims sano gaku too, and you forgot the big one, odagiri joe)

Jump from super sentai is prettttty rare, its almost all riders, with this guy being the rare exception (you can include gaims sano gaku too, and you forgot the big one, odagiri joe)

Is Sano taking off? I'm expecting big things from him, especially because he seems far more athletic than past Rider actors. Fukushi came out swinging stronger than I've seen in a while. Say I Love You, Kami-sama no Iu Toori, and Kyou wa Kaisha Yasumimasu all in a short period of time.

Kabuto and Den-O was in a jdrama together pretty much playing Kabuto and Den-o sans super powers

Mei-chan_no_Shitsuji.jpg

There's a bunch of shows like that that tend to suck up a bunch of young, upcoming actors.

Mei-chan no Shitsuji, GTO, Gokusen, and Hanazakari no Kimitachi e.

Hanazakari_no_Kimitachi_e_2011.png

Yep, that's W, Gattack, and TheBee.

Same show, a few years earlier?
profile_105842_user_105842_1350041937Hanazakari-no-Kimitachi-e-2007-Japanese.jpg

Kabuto, Kabutorajiger, New Gavan, GokaiSilver, and Sasword.

sprsk

Is Sano taking off? I'm expecting big things from him, especially because he seems far more athletic than past Rider actors. Fukushi came out swinging stronger than I've seen in a while. Say I Love You, Kami-sama no Iu Toori, and Kyou wa Kaisha Yasumimasu all in a short period of time.

He was in a drama recently, and actually now that I'm thinking about it, this season there's a crime drama where Takatora plays a nerdy lab tech. Kinda weird.

NeonZ

The goofy Kaito is actually someone else who looks identical to him and ends up taking his place. One of the scans mentioned his name, but I can't remember it.

Top Bottom