• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toriyama wants Lightning Returns' open world to beat Skyrim

Toriyama wants Lightning Returns' open world to beat Skyrim

He will almost surely fail to get what he wants.

Good grief, this game has "mess" written all over it. And I say that as someone who liked FF13 and FF13-2.

kurbaan

Banned
SOMEONE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET THIS DELUSIONAL HACK AWAY FROM FINAL FANTASY AND SQUARE.

my little heart can barely take it no more.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
GravityMan said:
Good grief, this game has "mess" written all over it. And I say that as someone who liked FF13 and FF13-2.

What makes you say that? It sounds structurally interesting to me and I can see no reason why they couldn't do a very credible open-world region given FFXIII had fairly substantial open areas on Gran Pulse.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Go_Ly_Dow

Come on guys, this is Toriyama's game and he can do whatever he wants. It's his little waifu sidegame. Let him go crazy. It's not like most of you were going to buy it anyway.

Let him do his own thing, as long as XV and XVI are good I don't care. I will be buying this game tho, looks interesting to me.

it damages the brand (which is effects XV and XVI) and sucks up a large amount of finances and resources that could be used for something else.

Well, I don't really like Skyrim, so I'm sure LR will beat it in terms of a game for me. But I'm not getting my hopes up on it being some massive and fun world to explore. I swear SE has meetings where they try to find ways to ruin the fun in their games sometimes. Like having a big world, then adding a time limit into it, lol. The joy of having a huge world to explore is we can take our time and explore at our own pace.

Well, I don't really like Skyrim, so I'm sure LR will beat it in terms of a game for me. But I'm not getting my hopes up on it being some massive and fun world to explore. I swear SE has meetings where they try to find ways to ruin the fun in their games sometimes. Like having a big world, then adding a time limit into it, lol. The joy of having a huge world to explore is we can take our time and explore at our own pace.

Seriously. Why? Why? Why? Why would you make a "massive" open world and then make it impossible to explore most of it? I want to like this game but these design decision make it seem like they are just throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks!

Thread whining. Incoming ban.

Backseat modding isn't much better! And there's hardly much wrong with comparing the tone between a thread full of information about gameplay systems as compared to one very clearly meant to get people hooting and hollering.

Oh well, Lighting threads will bring out the worst in everyone until release.

jcm

Sadly, I suspect that beating Skyrim in this case means a game that's still an inch deep, but is 1.1 miles wide.

Then I will happily eat crow. But somehow I doubt it.

Open World design... restrictive time limit.

WHY!?

Because the game doesn't actually have anywhere close to Skyrim's content. The time-limit artificially restricts how much of the content one can explore in a single playthrough, thus making the game seem grander and larger than it really is.

At least I assume it's something like that.

akaoni

Banned
Pretty sure this was mentioned way back while everyone was busy talking about the weird focus on other stuff.

They're words of inspiration, I don't think it's supposed to be taken literally.

Because the game doesn't actually have anywhere close to Skyrim's content. The time-limit artificially restricts how much of the content one can explore in a single playthrough, thus making the game seem grander and larger than it really is.

At least I assume it's something like that.

And that's what I assumed a few months back. Padding. But I still held out hope that I was being paranoid.

GamingBolt said:
Ignored amid all the news of Lightning going from a C-cup to a D-cup in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (don’t ask), director Motomu Toriyama and “wilderness lead planner” Yui Umeda talked about how the game was meant to “beat Skyrim” (or “Sukairimu” as it’s pronounced in Japan) in their interview with Famitsu.

Seriously.

Umeda stated that, “The wilderness is designed with a natural open world style of play in mind. Toriyama’s first instruction was ‘beat Skyrim!’ That may be a tall order with the resources on hand, but as this is FF we decided it might be best to approach it by letting you run about on a chocobo. Also, although there is lots of freedom in the wilderness, there is only one goal but with many paths to accomplishing it.”

dp27B4o.jpg

This doesn't sound so bad. The landscape of Skyrim was very natural aside from a disturbing abundance of crypts containing similarly sized men

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Why does everyone want to look to skyrim for inspiration when I find xenoblade's open world much more superior

Toth

Perfo is right here. Look how fast Toriyama ridiculous spreads. This has got to start being modded....

Anyway, it's a lofty goal but we will have to see. The world does look pretty large and busy as is. Considering FFXIII was much more fun (and bug free) than Skyrim, LR shouldn't be any worse.

Go_Ly_Dow

Why does everyone want to look to skyrim for inspiration when I find xenoblade's open world much more superior

yes. if there's one game the Japanese should mimic it is Xenoblade.

Huge game world, but extremely varied with a mind blowing art style.

ZiZ

has Toriyama even played Skyrim? does he even know what he is talking about?

sometimes I feel that a lot of Japanese developers are living in their own little world, oblivious to the rest of the world.

yes. if there's one game the Japanese should mimic it is Xenoblade.

Huge game world, but extremely varied with a mind blowing art style.

The variety of zones was cool but the actual areas were too big for their own good. The boring ass factory especially

Wonder if there is a slow-motion mode for chocobo riding...

Man, when I thought I could not be any less interested in FF, it's like they are trying to push me from disinterest to active dislike.

RMI

Banned
I liked each individual tile-set in skyrim, but I don't think there were actually that MANY of them. It was a huge open world full of lots of very similar things.

Set the bar a little higher, Toriyama. Or better yet, just make sure it's better than the last two games. That's all I want.

Ristlager

According to GAF:
Made Final Fantasy 13 a corridor game. Booooo Urns. This is shit, we want open world.
Makes Final Fantasy LR open world. Booo Urns. This is shit. We want something else.
Uses a ton of time on FFXV. Boooo, get your act together.
Uses a bit over a year on LR. Boooo. You should use more time to make it good.

And everyone who has played it (E3) loved the combat, praising it as the best ever. And the tidbits from the other thread was only positives. Get your fricking shit together Gaf. Its getting more and more reddiculuse here every month. With everyone trying to up the previously poster with negative shit. Try to be a little more thoughful in your comments.

Perfo is right here. Look how fast Toriyama ridiculous spreads. This has got to start being modded....

Anyway, it's a lofty goal but we will have to see. The world does look pretty large and busy as is. Considering FFXIII was much more fun (and bug free) than Skyrim, LR shouldn't be any worse.

Toth, I read and commented on the other section because I'm still interested enough in the game to do so. So did about 30 other people. I think you have to accept that beyond that, there isn't much interest in the game, or at least not enough where people will comment. If people can't complain about the game, they won't even bother reading it (didn't the other couple of threads with info get well under 1,000 views? Versus the over 40,000 that the Lightning cup size one got?).

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It sounds like this project is starting to sound like Duke Nukem Forever. Both games have a director going completely off the rails, asking for this and that with no thought given for whether it makes sense.

According to GAF:
Made Final Fantasy 13 a corridor game. Booooo Urns. This is shit, we want open world.
Makes Final Fantasy LR open world. Booo Urns. This is shit. We want something else.

And everyone who has played it (E3) loved the combat, praising it as the best ever. And the tidbits from the other thread was only positives. Get your fricking shit together Gaf. Its getting more and more reddiculuse here every month. With everyone trying to up the previously poster with negative shit. Try to be a little more thoughful in your comments.

Final Fantasy XIII was a corridor for 30+ hours. It's fine to like that. A lot of people didn't.

Lightning Returns is being made in under 14 months and has a timer. Open World with a restrictive timer so that you have to replay the game over and over. Please read the fine print next time.

Final Fantasy XV was formerly Final Fantasy Versus XIII which was shown off 7 1/2 years ago. By the time this game finally comes out, it'll be ~9 to 10 years later. "Get your shit together" in regards to info.

Asking that they spend more than 14 months on a game that seems ambitious is hardly a terrible thing to ask.

KoopaTheCasual

A little off topic, but I recently went to a FFXIII fan forum (yea, I like punishment) and people had actually convinced themselves that Nomura was to blame for the state of SE today. Let's totally forget how the company went under massive restructuring and current projects (Lightning Returns) don't have a clear vision atm. No, let's blame the guy who put too many belts on Lightning's original costume. It's no longer hard to believe how directionless SE seems at the moment, if you just look at how much nonsense the vocal minority spews. I can't with this fanbase sometimes.

Noi

According to GAF:

Who is GAF?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
About time limit, maybe after beating the story you can freely explore the world.

Guys, guys, but what if Lightning returns comes out and it's actually good?
I don't know if it will be a good game overall, but i have this feeling that it could be a decent game gameplay-wise, and i HATED ffxiii gameplay-wise.

Midou

The world does look pretty large and busy as is.

But as far as I understood it, of the four major areas in the game, only one of them is actually 'vast' and 'open to exploration'. I remember it said like one was for timed events, one was for puzzle-sort of areas, and stuff like that.

So I'm kind of confused by this Skyrim comparison, it isn't the same sort of game by any stretch of the imagination. I doubt any area in LR will be larger and more open than anything from previous XIII games, Pulse in the first game was a pretty huge map already. When you look at the map that shows up on screen when Lightning runs around the desert, it appears to be smaller than it looks.

Also lol perfo.

Gorillaz

According to GAF:

A game should not take up to a decade to release. Its poor management, they have been nothing but misguided for an entire generation. They were once considered the biggest pubs in the industry with FF considered a "big event" when ever it released. Compare last gen to now and you realize why people aren't as excited by SE as they use too.

Coxy

According to GAF:

corridor or open world are the only options, there is nothing else. certainly final fantasy has never existed in any form but these. There is also no development time between 14 months and 10 years, these are the only options.
also all of gaf is one person.

Ristlager

Final Fantasy XIII was a corridor for 30+ hours.

Lightning Returns is being made in under 14 months and has a timer. Open World with a restrictive timer so that you have to replay the game over and over. Please read the fine print next time.

Final Fantasy XV was formerly Final Fantasy Versus XIII which was shown off 7 1/2 years ago. By the time this game finally comes out, it'll be ~9 to 10 years later. "Get your shit together" in regards to info.

Asking that they spend more than 14 months on a game that seems ambitious is hardly a terrible thing to ask.

Almost every one here on Gaf has been jumping on the crazy slow ass development in Japan for the whole gen. (And rightfull so). But when some actually tries to do something about it it is just funny to look at the reaction it gets here.

As for the timer, I really don't see the point of it as well. But they have said that all the extra quests and optional monsters hunting are giving you extra time. So you won't "spend" time doing that.

Top Bottom