• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torn between ARMs and Splatoon 2

hollomat

Banned
Splatoon 2 and it's not even close. I say this as a day one purchaser and big fan of ARMs.

ARMs is fun, but lacking in variety.

Splatoon 2 will have a hopefully great single player and much more progression and customization than ARMs.

I feel like this type of question would be a oneside pick because one is already a established IP that has built from it's predecessor so it will feel more of a complete game. While the other is new and has less content because it's an untested IP.

As someone who loves ARMS and believes that the updates will make it a even wonderful and creative game like Splatoon. I would still suggest Splatoon 2 because its building on the first game which means it has more content.

Although that depends if you like fighting games or shooting games. Then again both games are quite different than their respective genre.

PSGames

You want a fighting game or a shooting game and neither of them play like mainstream games of either genre.

Pretty much this. Both are good although from a value proposition Splatoon 2 appears to have a ton more content but if you enjoy fighting games over a shooter that might not matter to you.

Another thing to take into account is local multiplayer. With ARMS you can have split-screen multiplayer on the same system at home, online and on the go. So if you want friends to join in that would be your only choice.

Personally I would say Splatoon 2 (as my life was consumed with the first one) but ARMS is a really unique and surprisingly fun fighting game that allows for quick play sessions and local multiplayer if that's your thing. Just temper your expectations about content.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Splatoon 2 has the benefit of being the second iteration, building on everything the first game had at launch and gained as it was supported with DLC. ARMS is kind of where Splatoon was at in 2015. As such, I think Splatoon 2 will offer you a lot more at this point. Even considering genre preferences, Splatoon 2 is probably the better choice in many more situations because of it simply having "more."

GenG3000

ARMS is a nice first entry but it needs at least a sequel or a bunch of updates to truly shine. The party lobby should be a standard for similar games like Smash Bros.

I say Splatoon 2.

Neiteio

Funny thing about the fighter/shooter distinction is that oftentimes ARMS feels more like a shooter than a fighter, with its ranging projectile attacks, while Splatoon can feel more like a fighter than shooter if you're wielding a roller or inkbrush.

I'd pick Splatoon 2 first mostly because there's less contents if you don't have online and it's free until 2018.
If you don't have online for ARMS, you're not missing as much.

It also seems ARMS is getting updates more slowly, especially if Splatoon 2 is updated in the same way the first was or close enough.

If you don't care about free online, just chose the one you want to play the most first I guess.

I would argue we have gotten more content in the updates for ARMS than Splatoon so far.

Neiteio

I'm interested to see how long before ARMS adds a completely new character we haven't seen before. The work was already done on Max Brass since he existed in the game from the start as a boss, so making him playable doesn't feel as notable as a "from scratch" character.

The next character they add will be interesting in that respect, since it'll be a character that straight-up does not exist in the current game in any form, a character that we've never seen before.

Alienous

I would argue we have gotten more content in the updates for ARMS than Splatoon so far.

They're both in the same realm of 'on disk DLC', no? All things that ought to have been there on release day.

I wouldn't read too much into it concerning future support in any case.

Leatherface

If Splatoon 1 is anything to go by this is an easy choice. Splatoon is one of Nintendo's best original titles in the past 20 years.

Even as someone who digs into fighting games but isn't big on shooters...Splatoon 2.

They're both so unconventional that genre preference here probably wouldn't help. What you like about fighting games you might not find in ARMs, it's pretty much its own thing. I personally regret getting ARMs, and though I didn't play too much of original Splatoon, 2 is gonna be a much better value from the get go, on top of already having a community. I don't think you can go wrong with it, it's the much safer option.

Splatoon 2 will probably be the popular answer but I suggest you try the demo first before buying it. Splatoon was meant to be the next big game I pick up for my Switch and I just assumed I'd like it but I hated the demo so I'll keep waiting for the next must buy game.

I haven't played ARMS so can't comment on that.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I have really enjoyed ARMS but, imo, Splatoon is about as "must-own" as it gets.

They're both in the same realm of 'on disk DLC', no? All things that ought to have been there on release day.

I wouldn't read too much into it concerning future support in any case.

Not true

Splatoons updates were all 'on disk' already

ARMS' updates are all brand new content

Hmmmm, you gotta remind me what update we got for ARMS cuz it's still looking the same until Max comes out.

I'm including the July update since its tomorrow which includes Max Brass, 3 ARMS, a stage, new mode, records, and online adjustments. Plus we got spectator mode real recently.

Leatherface

lol so far only one person recommended ARMS over Splatoon, and that was with a coin toss. Both great games but as you can see OP, Splatoon has a LOT of love and for a very good reason!

lol so far only one person recommended ARMS over Splatoon, and that was with a coin toss. Both great games but as you can see OP, Splatoon has a LOT of love and for a very good reason!

I mean I would recommend ARMS, but one is a untested ip while the other is a sequel.

Little Mons†er;243179613 said:
Not true

For the first couple months they were. After I think July/August, all of its updates were brand new.

Alienous

Little Mons†er;243179613 said:
Not true

I'm speculating, I suppose - has anyone analyzed the cartridge in any case? It just seems to fit the bill of 'on-disk DLC', considering the character being 'on the disc', so to speak, just not playable. They might have done work to make him playable in the month since release, but that seems like too short a time to build a character.

TDLink

Splatoon 2 is the easy choice.

It's packed with content. Full Single player campaign, new co-op mode, all the competitive multiplayer modes, and tons of planned content already announced post-launch for free. Plus consistent events like Splat Fest. It's seriously a great package for $60.

ARMS is fun but it has a lot less for the asking price. The single player mode is kind of pitiful and there are only 11 characters (as of tomorrow), which is low for a fighting game. And while it still has free post launch support, it's at seemingly a much slower rate. Right now it's a very small package for $60.

There's no competition between these two IMO, Splatoon 2 is the better buy. In fact, I'd go as far to say that right now ARMS really doesn't justify its price point.

Cleve

Just another splatoon vote to the mix. I'm okay with arms, it's really lacking in content, and doesn't pull me in the way splatoon did at launch.

Neoxon

Get Splatoon 2.
It'll have better single player content, a larger community, and will be supported longer.

No question.
That depends on if you mean DLC support or general event support. If you mean DLC, I'd imagine that both ARMS & Splatoon 2 will receive a similar amount of support.

To answer the OP's question, it depends on what you want. If you prefer fighting games to shooters, get ARMS. If not, go for Splatoon 2. But you should definitely get the other one at some point in the future regardless of what you choose now, as both are solid games.

oti

Banned
Splatoon 2 no question. The game will have way more content at launch and its online lobbies should always be full. Get ARMS in a year when it's cheaper and meatier.

RRockman

Banned
All of you Splatoon heathens disgust me. All glory to the ARMS masterrace!

I kid, Splatoon 2 is way easier to get into and it has a robust campaign. Some people seem need robust campaigns in EVERYTHING in order to enjoy it but that is a different disscusion. Get ARMS if the fighting really clicked with you and you want to work your way to the top now competitively, but if you want to play the game casually Splatoon 2 makes it far easier and is able to get even more competitive if you want it to.

Also I do not understand some peoples sentiment about ARMS updates being slow lol.

Truth be told I'm quite surprised how quick so far it is.

Kebiinu

Banned
ARMS is great, but if you're stuck between the two, get Splatoon 2 now; and ARMS later when it's had more updates. That being said, you do need to get both in your library.

Neoxon

Splatoon 2 no question. The game will have way more content at launch and its online lobbies should always be full. Get ARMS in a year when it's cheaper and meatier.
Unless ARMS ends up bombing at retail (which doesn't seem to be the case in Japan compared to other fighting games), it's about as likely to go down in price as other major Nintendo games.

Top Bottom