• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torn between ARMs and Splatoon 2

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shame I have to recommend one over the other cause they both deserve awards for being original and awesome (obviously referencing the Splatoon formula here and not a sequel being original)

But splatoon will likely last longer . Arms is incredibly fun and worth it if you could get a local person to play against regularly, I never got into the online deeply for some reason.

Reading this thread it seems clear that Arms is probably not Nintendo's new Splatoon. Pretty lukewarm recommendations for it in contrast to Splatoon, where people were going crazy about how good it was for weeks after launch. (And rightfully so, it was incredible.)

I mean not all new ips always blow up. Plus we are comparing Splatoon 2 to a brand new IP that is following Splatoon update rollout.

ARMS will probably be a slow burn where the gameplay foundation is great and with time will be better with added content.

The sequel will definitely have even more content and probably a full fledged storymode because they do not need to start from scratch.

Edit: Its a really good game that just needs more updated content. Anyway I already figured how this thread would go from the very beginning.

Giga Man

The OP has not a lot of time, and everybody is recommending splatoon 2 because its meatier lol.

ARMS is a great casual chillout game in party mode. Great for short burst of gaming. Id go for that if you are time constrained.

Exactly, so why not give him a game that makes his short time worthwhile? You can apply your same example for ARMS to Splatoon 2.

ronpontelle

Neo Member
I'm in the same boat as the OP.

Although it's not really been that close a call - mainly due to circumstances meaning I'm playing in handheld mode 95% of the time, and to me that lends itself to Splatoon over Arms. Plus I loved the first one and the extra content etc etc.

FloatOn

Although it's not really been that close a call - mainly due to circumstances meaning I'm playing in handheld mode 95% of the time, and to me that lends itself to Splatoon over Arms. Plus I loved the first one and the extra content etc etc.

This is a good point. I play mainly handheld as well. Though I imagine I would have used traditional controls for ARMs anyway.

I play ARMS in handheld mode and it lends itself just as great.

LotusHD

Banned
I thought Splatoon 2 was more awkward in handheld mode for the brief time I played the demo. Well, when you're using the gyro controls anyways.

TZchassis

I honestly can’t say which one to get. They’re both very creative spins on their genres, have interesting visuals, and are a lot of fun (I’ve played 55 hours in ARMS). Splatoon has more content and probably is more appealing to a bigger audience than ARMS ( since shooters are a much more popular genre compared to fighters). I personally think I prefer ARMS slightly more.

Macka

Splatoon 2 is the easy choice. ARMS already looks like it's tapering off. Splatoon 2 is going to be big for the rest of the Switch's life.

jdstorm

Banned
Splatoon 2 just like many others have said is the easy choice.

Its a refinement on a revolutionary TPS that everyone should play and its more feature complete.

ARMS is also fun but moreso as a spectator/party game. Its a good idea but falls short on content in comparison to Splatoon.

Interesting.

I would say Splatoon 2 will give you more mileage. I also think Splatoon is just more fun than ARMS but if you're not in the mood to Splat or you've burned through your copy of the first Splatoon then maybe grab ARMS. Splatoon 2 will be popular for the rest of the Switch's life.

B00TE

Splatoon 2 is probably a much safer/easier recommendation just in terms of content (and that's just basing it off the first game). Quite a bit easier to get into at first and have fun or goof off imo.

I love ARMS though, it's got some really fun, satisfying gameplay and the party mode makes playing a few quick matches online extremely easy.

At the end of the day its OPs choice.

Rather listening to all of us pick the game that fits your taste.

I have listened to GAF quite a few times and half the time I have been burned out lmao.

Splatoon has a lot more depth to it than Arms. Arms is a pretty simple game, I grew tired of it after a while.

I think Splatoon is straight up more fun than Arms, and it has a lot more content too. I'm not even a huge fan of Splatoon.

I have *really* enjoyed ARMS so far. It's been a great surprise. I enjoyed growing up with fighting games, but outside of Smash Bros. they really started to get a little bit too stale. ARMS sort of mixes up an old formula while retaining the core parts that work. You get to deal with 3D space and "projectiles" of sorts. It feels really fun and a joy to jump in for a couple rounds here and there.

However, if I had to recommend to others I would say Splatoon 2 is slightly safer bet. Mostly because it has a single player campaign, making it a good offline game.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Get ARMS and then Splatoon 2 after you play Splatoon 1

I skipped ARMS solely because of Splatoon 2. Way more content and longevity for me. I enjoyed the Testpunches though; I might pick it up on sale sometime.

I enjoy the game play of ARMS better so that is easily the better purchase for me personally. But lucky for me I have the cash for both so I don't have to choose.

I'd recommend Splatoon 2. It's far easier to approach, and I'm personally going to be spending significantly more time with it than with ARMS.

I just really dislike ARMS' controls. A lot of the punches being thrown feels like a whole lot of RNG to me, and I just can't get into it. Really regret buying it for MSRP.

Nerazar

Difficult question. But it basically boils down to your preference in the genre: do you want a fighting game or a squad shooter?

If you dislike one of those, the choice has already been made.

That being said: Splatoon 2 will offer more content for sure, especially in the beginning since it builds from the first one.

Personally, I'll get ARMS first, with a sale or used (I think it's worth around 40€ now) and get to Splatoon on a sale as well. ARMS is probably also the better local coop game, but not by far. And you get Wii Boxing Vibes with motion controls... and a small workout. ;)

mas8705

If we are talking content, then it is fair to say that Splatoon 2 has ARMS beat. Mind you that if you can get both, get both.

OryoN

If the original game is anything to go by, you'll likely get more mileage from Splatoon 2. I also believe that Splatoon caters very well to a limited available play time. Let's face it, by nature of being a combat game, you'll likely get more fun out of Arms when you're winning, or at least being competitive(win or lose). However, to get to that point means you are back to your dilemma - can't invest enough time to "git gud!".

(I do have ARMS, and slightly limited game time. While I can increase me playtime on certain days, I'm not really up to the task these days)

Splatoon 2, on the other hand(with it's unique mechanics and Turf Mode) should offer tons of fun for even the most inexperienced of players. Even if all you do it stay near your spawn area and ink turf, you are still contributing to your team's overall score. As you become more comfortable with the game, you'll find yourself getting closer to the front lines.

Of course, we don't yet know what kind of content ARMS will add in the future, but base on the types of games these two are, I believe Splatoon 2 is the safer bet, easily.

Randomizer

If it were me I would go with Splatoon 2. It has more content at launch, and just like ARMS it will also have updates. The community is already established and great, it is also set to grow exponentially, now that it's on a console that actually sells well.

thefro

Splatoon did a better job of hooking you in since you're getting money to buy new clothes/weapons, plus the steady drip of content in new weapons/maps/modes.

There's not the same appeal to unlock everything in ARMS since you're just getting access to weapons that other characters can use already (at this point), once you unlock ranked.

Splatoon did a better job of hooking you in since you're getting money to buy new clothes/weapons, plus the steady drip of content in new weapons/maps/modes.

There's not the same appeal to unlock everything in ARMS since you're just getting access to weapons that other characters can use already (at this point), once you unlock ranked.

Not really you still have to grind to unlock new ARMS for characters. Like I can't get parasol for Spring man without going through the ARMS getter.

maxmars

I think you would get enough fun and playtime from either, but you should really ask yourself whether you like more 1v1 or team based play style. I got ARMS and preordered Splatoon 2; currently having a great time playing ARMS and not planning to let it go once S2 hits (just like I didn't drop mk8 when ARMS came out). As for neogaf, I found the splatoon 1 gaf community to be more fun and interesting to interact with than the ARMS one.

Macka

Not really you still have to grind to unlock new ARMS for characters. Like I can't get parasol for Spring man without going through the ARMS getter.
His point is that none of the unlocks are really 'new' though. They're just new for that specific character. You can already use Parasol on Twintelle from the start.

In Splatoon, everything you unlock is completely new.

His point is that none of the unlocks are really 'new' though. They're just new for that specific character. You can already use Parasol on Twintelle from the start.

In Splatoon, everything you unlock is completely new.

I mean but what if I want to get parasol for another character? That's a big incentive especially if I want to mix and match.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm going with Splatoon 2, as the gameplay is far more engrossing to me. I can't see myself staying interested in a game where I jump around with only an ability to punch. For the record Virtual On failed to keep me interested in Dreamcast, and Arms reminds of a different take on it.

ARMS flopped and there is no multiplayer community.

With regular events like Splatfests from Nintendo, Splatoon 2 will do way better. I expect to be playing this well into the holidays.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

With regular events like Splatfests from Nintendo, Splatoon 2 will do way better. I expect to be playing this well into the holidays.
They patched in events into ARMS as well you realise there'a an in-game tab and everything. Question will now regular and type.

Damn, this is one of the most one sided threads I've seen. Personally wouldn't even consider buying ARMS but I'm excited to try out the Splatoon demo.

buttdiver

I've had ARMS since release, and played both the testpunch for ARMS and the testfire for Splatoon 2.

If I had to pick 1, it would be Splatoon 2 without question. Both have learning curves but the single player content for ARMS is shit to put it mildly. Typical arcade 10 fight affair (with things like hoops/etc which are more annoying imo).

And the worst part is that you will often be really frustrated at how the AI reacts instantly to whatever you do at the higher levels in single player, as well as some (imo) shitty fundamental design decisions in the game that ruined party mode and ranked mode for me (I've done around 50 ranked games btw, before the 2.0 update).

I've had ARMS since release, and played both the testpunch for ARMS and the testfire for Splatoon 2.

If I had to pick 1, it would be Splatoon 2 without question. Both have learning curves but the single player content for ARMS is shit to put it mildly. Typical arcade 10 fight affair (with things like hoops/etc which are more annoying imo).

I agree with this post. I enjoy ARMS, but it's a local multiplayer affair for me first and foremost. If I could only have one of the two, based on the Testfire and Testpunch, it would be Splatoon 2.

Crazyorloco

And the worst part is that you will often be really frustrated at how the AI reacts instantly to whatever you do at the higher levels in single player, as well as some (imo) shitty fundamental design decisions in the game that ruined party mode and ranked mode for me (I've done around 50 ranked games btw, before the 2.0 update).

I'd pick Splatoon 2 too. And I like the gameplay in ARMS. I think it's fun...

The recent update for ARMS gives it a little more life (Hedlock mode/Max/Stats),but it still isn't enough for sustain it for as much as Splatoon 2 will.

In regards to the single player for ARMS, you'll beat the Grand Prix in less than a half-hour. I'm glad that the game does provide a challenge against the computer, but damn it there needs to be more content.

I do feel this comparison is a bit unfair since fighting games don't usually have a ton of content. I do expect wayyyyy more from a Nintendo game though.

Neoxon

.......wut? It's doing pretty well in Japan based on the numbers we have right now.

Danneee

Personally I didn't like Arms local MP (which would have been my main mode of play in that) because it was messy and hard to follow so I sold that. Splatoon doesn't have split screen so I'm not buying that.

My answer: none of them!

These are two vastly different types of games. I went with Arms for now since I prefer fighters to shooters. Still very satisfied with my purchase.

Top Bottom