• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tornado Season 2014 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in Central Al, and I still have family there. My SIL lives in Calera, and her house got hit by lightening a couple of days ago. The worst part is she was holding the door open for her dog to come in when it hit. Fortunately, she's okay, but just about everything in the house is jacked up. The marble around her fireplace cracked, and some of the hardwood boards in her floor came up. What really sucks is that she and her husband are living in a rental because his house has Chinese drywall, and is unlivable. Of course, it's the house they're renting that gets hit instead of the one they can't get rid of.

cajunator

Banned
Our company had to be very careful not to send drivers into the tornadic areas. It was a challenge since several terminals were affected in Birmingham, Jackson, Meridian, and Tupelo

cajunator

Banned
Here in Ohio we are or were suppose to get damaging winds and hail tonight.

the really bad shit will come at night from this, like the last two nights. Daytime convection is cooking up storms in the atmosphere and stuff will begin popping like popcorn.

Anyone see the Skycam video from Bessemer Alabama?
Was like a scene from Twister.
camera on the roof was watching a calm road with some light rain they turned the camera to the left and suddenly fucking huge tornado is only a couple hundred feet away.

Meohsix

North West Alabama checking in. Tornado sirens went off a few times yesterday, was pretty scary. had heavy rain and strong winds that took down a whole bunch of giant trees and power lines around town. was without power for 10+ hours. one store in town had a tree crash into the roof. i lost my mailbox.

During one of the strongest parts of the storm i had to run down the road and help a guy
who swerved out of the way of a falling tree and crashed his truck into a ditch.
i pulled him out of the truck and we went back to my place. he was fine.

A few neighbors came over and we all chilled outside under my carport for a few hours until the weather let up, then we pulled the guys truck out.

then we all took the food that was going bad in our freezers and started bbqing it.

Fun times. It's starting to get dark and cloudy out right now... I should check the radar...

cajunator

Banned
North West Alabama checking in. Tornado sirens went off a few times yesterday, was pretty scary. had heavy rain and strong winds that took down a whole bunch of giant trees and power lines around town. was without power for 10+ hours. one store in town had a tree crash into the roof. i lost my mailbox.

During one of the strongest parts of the storm i had to run down the road and help a guy
who swerved out of the way of a falling tree and crashed his truck into a ditch.
i pulled him out of the truck and we went back to my place. he was fine.

A few neighbors came over and we all chilled outside under my carport for a few hours until the weather let up, then we pulled the guys truck out.

then we all took the food that was going bad in our freezers and started bbqing it.

Fun times. It's starting to get dark and cloudy out right now... I should check the radar...

Stay safe. The "popcorn convection" I was talking about is starting to fire as we speak. Its gonna get rough again.

TylerD

I'm most likely watching this season from the sidelines due to moving to Lubbock and away from Oklahoma City. The most common weather occurrence this Spring is blowing dust.

Stay safe you all.

cajunator

Banned
Oh wow I just remembered why Ive heard of Bessemer. We stayed at the comfort Inn just southwest of those Timberline apartments and the medical center. Its a really nice area and I hope the damage wasnt too bad.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Oh wow I just remembered why Ive heard of Bessemer. We stayed at the comfort Inn just southwest of those Timberline apartments and the medical center. Its a really nice area and I hope the damage wasnt too bad.
Bwah?

Credo

Around noon, the local news said the serious weather would get here starting at 4:00. It's now 4:19 and they say the serious stuff will get here around 8:00 or 9:00. By tonight, I suppose it'll be coming at 3:00 AM.

Ultima_5

Tornado bullshit is one of the only things that makes me want to move away from St. Louis.

does STL get hit alot? I went to school in ColumbiaMO, and we never had anything really. Grew up close to KC and we had a ton of warnings/watches.

now in Tulsa... =/ hope there isn't much this year

Wookieomg

I live in central Oklahoma, and the nightmarish tornado that hit last May was very close to where I'm at.. But I've lived here all my life, so I'm sort of mentally geared for the worst.

But god damn, it is some scary shit regardless. Really hoping that no one is impacted by some EF-5 level tornadoes this year...

does STL get hit alot? I went to school in ColumbiaMO, and we never had anything really. Grew up close to KC and we had a ton of warnings/watches.

now in Tulsa... =/ hope there isn't much this year

Yeah, unfortunately we do. Usually 2-3 tornadoes per season. One of the more notable ones hit Lambert Airport in 2011. I was at the East Side at the time, after the Cards game got rained out :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_St._Louis_tornado

Sup tornado gaf. Check this shit out.

BpOvO_KIMAEih0s.jpg

not my pic

BpOyslsIgAE7qjj.jpg

also not my pic

Norfolk, NE. Just north of Omaha. Looks like things are gonna get pretty real tonight. Tornado watches all over the place.

Fushin

I've had some minor success this year. Missed an EF-0 by about five miles because of bridge traffic (I was PISSED). Got a good severe storm and some lightning though last week. Excited for what late June holds for Maryland.

http://youtu.be/BN3YZS3dgUs

Lightning in slow motion.

http://youtu.be/wPZ3_0a7xHA

Storm highlights. Guess what movie the song is from!

http://youtu.be/vkuyj3W0Qg4
From last year - my Dad caught up with an EF-0 that I was watching by foot half a mile away. Too many trees for me to get a clear shot so he won the day on this one.

They sounded the sirens in Omaha despite there being no tornado warning. The hail sounds like it will be the main problem with this first storm coming through though. Same cell that drop the hail in Norfolk

Edit:90+ mph wind gusts. Scary stuff

Jburton

Banned
Most significant outbreak of the season so far, been a very quiet season for major Tornados .... no EF5 rated the season if I am correct.

Horrible to hear a town has been impacted.

Hey, thats an hour southwest of where I'm from :eek:. Thank god I moved a few years ago and my parents just sold their house and are getting out of there lol.

I've always wanted to see a live tornado, I live in Houston though so bleh.

Growing up in Tornado Alley as a kid I saw quite a few; scared shitless of them but at the same time I was in awe of natures power. Really are very few things with such destructive force and power like Tornadoes. I've always wanted to stick it out in a hurricane, but we didn't get those in Nebraska heh.

I was watching the Weather Channel when they started covering the first tornado. Kept watching this little spout to the right of the one they were covering turn into something bigger and bigger. Just insane....

legacyzero

Banned
Shot from Pilger just now

iFyEUDW4atXyY.png

Also getting constant weather warnings here in La Crosse Wisconsin now. Mostly severe thunderstorm warning and tornado watches. The worst is staying south apparently.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That double tornado hit 23 minutes from where I lived in the fall. Wow. I drove down 275 quite a few times. There's a lot of small towns out there too. I hope everyone is doing alright tonight. It doesn't look good. Imagine towns with about 12-15 blocks and that's western Nebraska. There's about 29,000 people who live in Norfolk, but those surrounding cities are where the majority of people live.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/16/us/nebraska-severe-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom