• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Spl1nter

I feel bad for the employee getting in the middle of it all. And it could've been her that got a face full of plate.

I guess Toronto isn't above World Star Hip Hop antics.

EDIT: Apparently, the fight was over seating.

Haha man you dont remember the other world star hip hop shit?

(Video at link NSFW)
http://www.nowpublic.com/world/toronto-subway-sex-video-2011-full-ttc-video-led-arrests-2869765.html

Best part of the video is the little kid screeching out world star hip hop.

dantehemi

What's the fastest any of you have ever driven a car?

I've driven 140kmph once on the highway. I was still getting used to my new car and didn't realize how easily it could zip up there.

When I was young and stupid (2001-2002) I took my Subaru WRX down the 400 south (aprox 3am) and hit about 240km/hr, it gets pretty scary at that speed, theese days im all about just cruising while I drive, hitting past 120km/hr on the highway very rarely.

What's the fastest any of you have ever driven a car?

I've driven 140kmph once on the highway. I was still getting used to my new car and didn't realize how easily it could zip up there.

180 in a Fiero. It was a very, very stupid thing to do. There is a section of the 401 past Coburg that has a downward slant...I gunned it for a while, watched the needle tap the 180 mark and then backed the hell down to 140.

I typically do 120 on the highway, but still find myself hitting 130-140 sometimes. On the highway I'm usually driving our minivan so I'm pretty careful because of the kids.

I should note that I'm that jerk driver that leaves a TON of space between me and the car in front of me.

I took my Subaru WRX down the 400 south (aprox 3am) and hit about 240km/hr.

Jesus.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Spent a weekend in Montreal, what a lovely city. So envious of their subway system.

Also, I am so glad we're far inland from the east coast. That hurricane looks like its completely shitting up new york.

dantehemi

At work now (market wharf building) Jarvis and esplanade, the contractor has All the workers securing anything on the higher floors so if the wind picks up they don't loose anything flying off the building... Imagine a full piece of plywood falling from the 32 floor!! It's scary if you think about it.

Link? Not calling you out or anything, but woulda like to see what there saying. Working construction and working on buildings with open walls, I have a huge interest in what the next couple of days are gonna be like.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0696

earlier it showed 40-50mm for monday, now look what it shows. It also showed a lot of rain late sunday and overnight and monday morning. Nada. So I'm inclined to believe it. Wind power has gone up though.

BUT cp24 still says post-tropical storm rainfall is possible and the weather network did change it to say:

Expect plenty of rain as well. By Wednesday morning, parts of south-central Ontario, including the city of Toronto, could get between 30 and 50 mm of rain,

So instead of a super crazy amount of rainfall all day monday it has changed to more spread out monday to wednesday type thing, with less stated than before.

Guess we'll see.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
My work is very uptight when it comes to dress code but they're giving us a casual day tomorrow since it appears tomorrow could be the messiest day out of this rain falling.

I'll take it.

dantehemi

Maybe Toronto Gaf can help me out in this one... I'm looking to buy a pair of redwing boots this weekend..I know exactly which ones I want, but I don't know the style name.. They are about $300, do any of you guys know some reatailers that carry a wide selection of redwings in the city? I'm sure they will have the ones I'm looking for, but unsure where to go look?

That you are so paranoid and jealous that you drugged her drink and blamed it on some random person at the club.

Fuck you.

I just saw this. Gross.

It was pretty bad. I looked up GHB online and it seems like it was that for sure based on the description. One moment she was totally fine and like 5 minutes later she couldn't walk or speak. She only had 2 drinks! I'm pretty sure I know who it was.. she was talking to this one guy that knew one of the bartenders so it would seem that they did it. I can't possibly know for sure though or prove it.
It was a horrible night. I stayed awake the entire night to keep her on her side because she would vomit in her sleep and I had to make sure she wouldn't choke on it.

Then an hour later I got a call that my Dad and Grandparents were in a car accident and my Grandpa is in intensive care.

It was the worst weekend ever and I'm so fucking tired. Off to the hospital again.

Boogie

We've seen a LOT of GBL (the precursor chemical which makes GHB) come into the Toronto area in the last couple of years.

It's also used recreationally and by bodybuilders, so not all of it gets used for attempting date rape, but the amount of it that is out there nonetheless is very disconcerting.

BKXB

Economist
Maybe Toronto Gaf can help me out in this one... I'm looking to buy a pair of redwing boots this weekend..I know exactly which ones I want, but I don't know the style name.. They are about $300, do any of you guys know some reatailers that carry a wide selection of redwings in the city? I'm sure they will have the ones I'm looking for, but unsure where to go look?

Shoe Tree on Yonge St. http://www.yelp.ca/biz/shoe-tree-toronto

They definitely had Redwings when I was there last year buying some Blundstones. Worth giving them a call.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Fuck you.

It was pretty bad. I looked up GHB online and it seems like it was that for sure based on the description. One moment she was totally fine and like 5 minutes later she couldn't walk or speak. She only had 2 drinks! I'm pretty sure I know who it was.. she was talking to this one guy that knew one of the bartenders so it would seem that they did it. I can't possibly know for sure though or prove it.
It was a horrible night. I stayed awake the entire night to keep her on her side because she would vomit in her sleep and I had to make sure she wouldn't choke on it.

Then an hour later I got a call that my Dad and Grandparents were in a car accident and my Grandpa is in intensive care.

It was the worst weekend ever and I'm so fucking tired. Off to the hospital again.

Terrible week. I hope next month is better and everyone in your family is okay.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck you.

Boogie would know better. Take to doctor and get toxicology report?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Dog poop bags are so cheap to buy and you get like a hundred of them. I didn't even know people used shopping bags for that.

Also, lol at that site portraying this law as some war against dogs.

Willectro

Banned
Dog poop bags are so cheap to buy and you get like a hundred of them. I didn't even know people used shopping bags for that.

I could argue either way, but I think Toronto City Counsel should be putting their energy into better initiatives. Preventing impaired driving for instance.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

The city supplies free bags right near my house at the entrance to a path that almost nobody uses for their dogs. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So it seems like some lady (according to CP24's twitter) was killed by flying debris. This storm is a fraction of NYC's strength but we've already topped them in fatalities.

https://twitter.com/CP24

Nah, it's just taking longer for NY to confirm. There's going to be quite a few.

From a minute ago on Twitter: Gov. Andrew Cuomo's office has confirmed at least five storm-related fatalities in New York.

I don't understand people who choose to be out in this sort of weather. 'I'll show that storm!' Yeah, sure, buddy.

First the Globe and Mail, and now it looks like The Toronto Star site is going subscription-based as well.
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1278881--the-star-to-launch-digital-subscription

Those poor saps commenting at the National Post already had the Globe guys stampede in, now they've got the Star readers too. Har har.

Postmedia has also indicated that they intend to put up a paywall starting in January.

Prior to their recent resurgence, they tried doing that and failed miserably. Hm.

dantehemi

Who here is just staying home for the day if this "storm" goes strong and continues into the morning? You have to figure at the least there will be tons of power outages all over the city?

I have to drive down to oakvile to a new job site and I'm already dreading the traffic that I am imaging in my head.

Nah, it's just taking longer for NY to confirm. There's going to be quite a few.

From a minute ago on Twitter: Gov. Andrew Cuomo's office has confirmed at least five storm-related fatalities in New York.

I don't understand people who choose to be out in this sort of weather. 'I'll show that storm!' Yeah, sure, buddy.

From the sounds of it, there may also a fair bit of "ooh! deadly storm? let's take pictures!" at play...

But, I don't know the specific circumstances surrounding those deaths, so...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
From the sounds of it, there may also a fair bit of "ooh! deadly storm? let's take pictures!" at play...

But, I don't know the specific circumstances surrounding those deaths, so...

Yeah, not speaking specifically to the woman that was killed, but there is always this attitude toward storms like this (not just in Toronto) about 'yeeeeaah i'll show that storm, bring it on! i'm not going anywhere!'. Such stupidity. Lots of cars still going up and down Windermere right now, even with the wind blowing the trees sideways and howling a bunch.

Hieberrr

Sounds like it'll be tomorrow, but not as bad as bad as tonight (according to CP24).

I'm staying the fuck away from trees just to be safe.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I have to head to Union (15 min walk) to take a train to Oakville in 20 minutes, it's not that bad out, right?

Only a 4% chance of death.

But seriously stay inside, or at least take a cab / subway if you need to be out in it.

My parents are freaking out.

But it just feels weird, I dont hear any howling wind or any rain at all.

Where are you at? Winds picked up a couple of hours ago, and rain started as soon as I took the dog out for a walk. Tall trees on Windermere (west of High Park) swaying pretty heavily, but it's more gust right now than sustained wind. Less than 3km south of where the person was killed.

Sober

Finished my shift this afternoon, and even in Markham (okay, well just north of Steeles) people are already stocking up on tons of bottled water.

Where are you at? Winds picked up a couple of hours ago, and rain started as soon as I took the dog out for a walk. Tall trees on Windermere (west of High Park) swaying pretty heavily, but it's more gust right now than sustained wind. Less than 3km south of where the person was killed.
Yeah, Im at North York. Its gotten a lot more windy than I realized. Probably get worse in a couple of hours.

Anony

i was outside till 6
sure it was windy
but it is nowhere near dangerous outside

stocking up on water? REALLY now

i think people are overreacting because toronto is a really safe zone with regards to weather and natural disasters

Quick

Banned
i was outside till 6
sure it was windy

i think people are overreacting because toronto is a really safe zone with regards to weather and natural disasters

This is my mindset, as well. It was windy, which would be dangerous near waterways, but nothing insane.

A friend of mine said No Frills was busy as hell with people "gathering supplies."

On the other hand, they'll have the last laugh when legitimate shit actually goes down and we're unprepared, lol.

Roto13

I'm downtown and it really doesn't seem to be very bad here. I have the window open. Maybe I'll go to the Assassin's Creed III midnight launch at Game Centre. :p (I'm not going to the Assassin's Creed III midnight launch at Game Centre.)

i was outside till 6
sure it was windy

It may be hype - we are certainly not expected to get the brunt of the storm as Atlantic City has - but it's better to be prepared than dead.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
i was outside till 6
sure it was windy

It's all fun and games until you get hit in the head with a flying sign.

Prior to the 6pm, it was pretty calm with some wind and rain. It picked up right after that, and if you are not a moron, or a service worker, you'd be inside. Just because we're not flooding out like Manhattan doesn't mean you want to be cracked over the head by something blowing around in the wind.

You probably don't need to stock up for a weeks worth of supplies, but if some people might loose power for a few days.. or if trees come down in the right areas, there's potentially trouble to get in and out of an area. I grew up preparing for earthquakes, and even though you probably won't get trapped if one hit, you never knew. We always have safety supplies and some bottled water on hand just for emergencies.

News blows a ton of things out of proportion, but don't use it as an excuse to ignore your own safety, or let it give you a superman mentality.

I'm downtown and it really doesn't seem to be very bad here. I have the window open. Maybe I'll go to the Assassin's Creed III midnight launch at Game Centre. :p (I'm not going to the Assassin's Creed III midnight launch at Game Centre.)

Moved up to 11:15pm at the Danforth location for the midnight launch, although I'm sure you're going to the Charles St location, mmhmm?

Top Bottom