• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Quick

Banned
I thought about going to the ACIII midnight launch at EB here, but...well, it's a midnight launch and it's EB at midnight.

Nobility

Banned
Rolling blackouts in Scarborough around the St. Clair and Eglinton area.

This isn't the night I can afford blackouts, assignments are due!

Roto13

It's all fun and games until you get hit in the head with a flying sign.

Prior to the 6pm, it was pretty calm with some wind and rain. It picked up right after that, and if you are not a moron, or a service worker, you'd be inside. Just because we're not flooding out like Manhattan doesn't mean you want to be cracked over the head by something blowing around in the wind.

You probably don't need to stock up for a weeks worth of supplies, but if some people might loose power for a few days.. or if trees come down in the right areas, there's potentially trouble to get in and out of an area. I grew up preparing for earthquakes, and even though you probably won't get trapped if one hit, you never knew. We always have safety supplies and some bottled water on hand just for emergencies.

News blows a ton of things out of proportion, but don't use it as an excuse to ignore your own safety, or let it give you a superman mentality.

Moved up to 11:15pm at the Danforth location for the midnight launch, although I'm sure you're going to the Charles St location, mmhmm?

I'm not going to either location. :p But yeah, they're opening the doors to let people in early so they don't drown, but they won't be selling the game until midnight.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm not going to either location. :p But yeah, they're opening the doors to let people in early so they don't drown, but they won't be selling the game until midnight.

Better than Futureshop during the 3DS launch. Half the line probably had hypothermia by the end of the night. Looking forward to that Wii U launch.....

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I was just about to say it didn't seem to bad.

But all of a sudden just heard a huge gust of wind over my music and the TV. D:

Rinoa

The lady died a few subway stops away from where I live, it's REALLY windy up here. Hoping everyone makes it home safe today, my skinny ass was getting blown away everywhere.

Well, EM, you were eerily accurate...

It's all fun and games until you get hit in the head with a flying sign.

Prior to the 6pm, it was pretty calm with some wind and rain. It picked up right after that, and if you are not a moron, or a service worker, you'd be inside. Just because we're not flooding out like Manhattan doesn't mean you want to be cracked over the head by something blowing around in the wind.

You probably don't need to stock up for a weeks worth of supplies, but if some people might loose power for a few days.. or if trees come down in the right areas, there's potentially trouble to get in and out of an area. I grew up preparing for earthquakes, and even though you probably won't get trapped if one hit, you never knew. We always have safety supplies and some bottled water on hand just for emergencies.

News blows a ton of things out of proportion, but don't use it as an excuse to ignore your own safety, or let it give you a superman mentality.

Woman killed by flying sign: CP24

Toronto police say a huge gust of wind caused a business sign to fall apart Monday night, killing a woman with flying debris.
The incident occurred on Keele Street near St. Clair Avenue at around 7:30 p.m. Witnesses said the sign could be seen swaying back and forth.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm afraid I was actually referencing that Blade.. I'm not psychic. :(

edit: Kuro knows. I can barely predict when to Uber Charge.

jokkir

This just happened:

Hard rain outside? is dark? Halloween time? Perfect time to play Amnesia!
*Plays for 10 minutes*
*Blackout happens*

lolNOPE

whitehawk

Banned
Power is out 2-3 blocks from me. Luckily I still have power.

Also breaking news, there was an explosion/fire near peter and queen. In the building above the roots store. Lots of damage.

O088D.jpg

CP24 tweets (nothing on their website yet)
https://twitter.com/CP24

A three-alarm fire has destroyed a building at the corner of Queen West and Soho. The building housed retailer Roots.

Toronto fire says building severely damaged and partially collapsing. There is a huge hole at front of the building on top of Roots store.

Emergency officials say it is too early to tell what started the Queen St. fire. No injuries reported.

Photo from the scene of a three-alarm fire at Queen and Soho. Notice the massive damage above the Roots store.

whitehawk

Banned
http://www.cp24.com/news/queen-west-building-rocked-by-3-alarm-fire-1.1016309

A three-alarm fire on Queen West early Tuesday morning destroyed a building that housed apartments and a popular Canadian retailer.

Witnesses told emergency officials they heard what sounded like explosions before flames erupted above the Roots store. A woman who lives across the street from the fire told CP24 that her apartment shook and when she looked out the window, she saw flames shooting out of the building and high into the air.

Police say they have yet to confirm an explosion occurred.

A hole measuring about 10-feet in height and about five-feet in width could be seen at the front of the building, above the Roots sign. Across the street, on the north side of Queen, garbage and leaves were strewn across the sidewalk and roadway.

No injuries have been reported but fire officials told CP24 they still have to do a thorough search of the property and the adjacent units.
At one point, officials moved spectators back from the fire scene as they feared the building would collapse.

Toronto Fire Captain David Eckerman told CP24 it was too soon to determine what caused the blaze or if superstorm Sandy, which caused widespread damage and power outages throughout the city earlier in the evening, had anything to do with it.

“I can’t speculate the cause yet,” he said. “The inclement weather and the wind certainly hampers our attack though it looks like we’re getting a good handle on this.”

The Fire Marshal’s Office will be investigating the cause of the fire.

Quadratic

To anyone that takes the 504 streetcar. My eastbound driver told the car that electricity is out past Bathurst and all streetcars are diverting to Bathurst station.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Windy this morning, but not close to last night. Doesn't look like any major trees came down around my area, but The Star has plenty of photos of some large ones toppling over.

edit: snip, old piece of news. How much damage is there where the explosion / fire was?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Goddamn it, it looks like it's middle is going RIGHT over my neighborhood. The eye of the storm is a thing, right? It's calm in that bitch, if I remember correctly?

edit: actually no, looks like Ajax is getting the middle, Im getting the middle left.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm assuming a lot of people took today off because it only took me 25 minutes to get to work this morning and 35 minutes to get home this afternoon. Not bad for a 50km commute to Square One.

Top Bottom