• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Silly question, but is there a place in Scarborough that sells good Ramen or Sushi? I'd like to take my family to a place but we're so busy lately that I'd like to go to somewhere that's somewhat close to where I live.

Go to Jtown. There's a ramen place in that complex.

Edit: Taro's Fish is excellent for Sushi

Folks, if you're talking food trucks, this website will give you daily updates as to where they're at. You can also follow them on twitter (et cetera). Sorry if it's already been mentioned or I'm just LTTP here.

I stumbled upon this Hazelton Lanes mini mall in Yorkville the other day. Just wanted to get out of the wet snow as I was going towards union after school. Wtf. Place is a complete mind fuck. They have a beautiful center food court type area with one place to eat: a hero burger.

There is a whole foods somewhere in the mall as well. About two dozen of these expensive boutiques with absolutely no customers in them and only one employee.

Rich dudes with their trophy wives walking around. It was bizarre. I didn't belong there. Apparently there is free WiFi there but I didn't check it out. The center court really is nice though and quiet with leather couches and seats and some electrical outlets to charge things.

Anyone been there? Quite the trip. I've honestly never been inside there before until then other day.

The Whole Foods is on the other side of the chairs from Hero Burger, around where Browns is. They've newly renovated to have a fairly expansive food bar and, despite their "Whole Paycheck" moniker, actually have a number of things that you can get for less than $10.

Which, for the area, is pretty reasonable.

Otherwise, Hazelton Lanes is best reserved for client lunches.

Quick

Banned
Silly question, but is there a place in Scarborough that sells good Ramen or Sushi? I'd like to take my family to a place but we're so busy lately that I'd like to go to somewhere that's somewhat close to where I live.

There's Ajisen at Warden and Steeles that's primarily Ramen. They also sell sushi, but it's not as good, and the selection is limited.

There's Matsuda along Steeles, as well, which is all you can eat. Then there's Ten-Ichi along Sheppard/ Sheppard and Markham Rd. Also all you can eat.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Is this racist?

LXd6vobl.jpg

BprWd3Pl.jpg

Fuck it I don't care, damn good Peking duck

Go to Jtown. There's a ramen place in that complex.

Edit: Taro's Fish is excellent for Sushi

There's Ajisen at Warden and Steeles that's primarily Ramen. They also sell sushi, but it's not as good, and the selection is limited.

There's Matsuda along Steeles, as well, which is all you can eat. Then there's Ten-Ichi along Sheppard/ Sheppard and Markham Rd. Also all you can eat.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely take a look at em.

I went to Grand Electric again last night. So great. I love the pork tinga tacos. The spice is right.

So, apparently most people have today off of work... why not sell your soul to the devil since you have some spare time?

Anyways, photo:

YNBxmlw.jpg

source

Hey Toronto-GAF

If you were to remodel the CN Tower,

how would it look?

One good thing they did was add the lighting a few years ago. When my wife first visited Toronto, she couldn't believe that the CN Tower wasn't lit up. It is such an improvement now.

I really love how it looks overall so I wouldn't change anything besides minor things.

1) clean up the concrete because it looks patchy from up close
2) get rid of the Edgewalk attraction because the support things have impacted the overall look in a negative way (or find some better way to make it less noticeable)

Quick

Banned
Resurface with another material. The concrete looks awful up close in the daytime.

I thought it was just me that had the same opinion on the concrete. It looks like it's still under construction up close, or something.

I don't think it should be painted any kind of colour, and I don't know about resurfacing it with another material, though.

We need more places to eat recommendations in here. I've been using yelp a lot lately and want to bookmark places to visit in the future but need some recommendations!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We need more places to eat recommendations in here. I've been using yelp a lot lately and want to bookmark places to visit in the future but need some recommendations!

Your best bet is to ask for a specific type of food
Not burgers
and/or a location and people will usually chime in.

I recommend---

tacos - Grand Electric
barbecue - Stockyards
snout to tail - The Black Hoof
healthy vegetarian/vegan - Live Organic Food Bar
vegan junk food - Hogtown Vegan
affordable sushi - Sushi Couture
smoked meat sandwich - Caplansky's Delicatessen
Chinese - Mother's Dumplings
Thai - Khao San Road
grilled cheese - Say Cheese
pizza - Buddha Pie (get the pear and prosciutto pizza)
yakitori - Zakkushi on Carlton
Indian - The Host
cheap Indian - Banjara
fine dining in a casual setting - Woodlot
gluten free options - Cardinal Rule
Mexican - Playa Cabana
fish & chips - Olde Yorke
sausage - WVRST
crepes - Hibiscus
beer selection - Bar Volo
waffles / brunch - Starving Artist

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Portuguese Chicken

Alex Rei dos Leitoes (Ossington south of Dundas) but I like St Matthew's BBQ Chicken (Rogers east of Keele) better.

Then afterward getting a pastel de nata (custard tart) and an espresso from Nova Era Bakery (there's one near each place). Some days I love to Pork Chop it up. :)

I recommend---

tacos - Grand Electric
barbecue - Stockyards
snout to tail - The Black Hoof
healthy vegetarian/vegan - Live Organic Food Bar
vegan junk food - Hogtown Vegan
affordable sushi - Sushi Couture
smoked meat sandwich - Caplansky's Delicatessen
Chinese - Mother's Dumplings
Thai - Khao San Road
grilled cheese - Say Cheese
pizza - Buddha Pie (get the pear and prosciutto pizza)
yakitori - Zakkushi on Carlton
Indian - The Host
cheap Indian - Banjara
fine dining in a casual setting - Woodlot
gluten free options - Cardinal Rule
Mexican - Playa Cabana
fish & chips - Olde Yorke
sausage - WVRST
crepes - Hibiscus
beer selection - Bar Volo
waffles / brunch - Starving Artist
Awesomeeeeeee wow.
Portuguese Chicken

Alex Rei dos Leitoes (Ossington south of Dundas) but I like St Matthew's BBQ Chicken (Rogers east of Keele) better.

Then afterward getting a pastel de nata (custard tart) and an espresso from Nova Era Bakery (there's one near each place). Some days I love to Pork Chop it up. :)

Adding Dim Sum at Rol San to the list.
Adding these all to my yelp bookmarks. We should have a place in the OP for this.

Median

Portuguese Chicken

I'm a fan of Churrasco Villa at Mount Pleasant and Eglinton. Their sauce is damn good.

Biff

Since we're on the topic of T.O. food, I finally tried Burger's Priest. Fun trip for the experience, but I don't think I'll make the trek again soon.

+ Highest quality beef I've yet had in a burger... Really good mix.
+ Nice, fresh toppings
+ The "Secret Menu" is ridiculous, but in a fun way (I tried "The Vatican")
+ Surprisingly good fries
- Expensive
- Extremely crowded. Dude's trying to save on rent at the expense of customer comfort I guess..
- Very greasy. A certain extent is expected, but it really hits you about half way through the burger.
- Cash only policy is retarded. It's 2013. Every other customer has to go use the in-store ATM (I wonder what their cut of fees are...) or walk to a nearby bank.

Mr. F

Banned
Since we're on the topic of T.O. food, I finally tried Burger's Priest. Fun trip for the experience, but I don't think I'll make the trek again soon.

+ Nice, fresh toppings
- Expensive
- Extremely crowded. Dude's trying to save on rent at the expense of customer comfort I guess..
- Very greasy. A certain extent is expected, but it really hits you about half way through the burger.
- Cash only policy is retarded. It's 2013. Every other customer has to go use the in-store ATM (I wonder what their cut of fees are...) or walk to a nearby bank.

Still have yet to go, damn. Soon hopefully!

Just tried hero burger for the first time. Overpriceddddddddd.

but pretty good

I find Hero Burger to range from being just okay to slightly disappointing, depending on the location. Definitely hard to justify the cost either way (for me at least) - for that same price range I personally think Big Smoke Burger is much better.

Burger Priest and Big Smoke are on my list. I've been on a burger crave lately. I miss my BBQ. :( #teamsummer

But cash only at Burger Priest is a huge turn off. I haven't carried cash since I was 16. Credit and debit only in my wallet. Bummer, but I'll try it once and see if its worth the hassle.

commence burger war

Willectro

Banned

+ Nice, fresh toppings
- Expensive

This alone ruins 99% of the experience for me. That place can be a nightmare when there is a bunch of people waiting.

We can try. Not very reliab DANGEROUS DAN'S?!

I just want some other places to try...so i can shit on them after. :D

I'm (slowly) making my way around the burger joints in TO. So far, Burger's Priest wins for best meat, Holy Chuck for best mind-blowing experience (the egg changed my life), and Superburger for the onion rings. DD gets points for the shake.

But I also tried a relatively new cafe around Yonge & St Clair (Artisan Bakery), which had some tasty, freshly prepared food. It's priced for the area, but the food is good and fresh and was perfect for a cold Saturday afternoon.

Top Bottom