• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

krae_man

So a LRT from the airport to downtown is finally happening? Can that be extended to KW?

Edit: I guess that would probably require KW getting a Pan Am games.

Zzoram

I had a guy come into work today and say that if Olivia runs he won't vote for her, something about him knowing her personally and how she would destroy the city. I kind of pressed him a bit and all he said was "She's selfish and only cares about downtown" - that he'd rather vote for Doug Holiday for example.

The guy says a lot of things though, always entertaining.

Downtown needs the most services and infrastructure. I don't really see how a focus on downtown is a bad thing for a Toronto Mayor. Rob Ford was elected because of his disregard for downtown though, so maybe a downtown focus just isn't a winning issue these days.

The suburbs are the selfish and short sighted ones though, despite being financially well off they don't want to pay for anything that affects downtown. Upgrades to downtown benefit everyone because people from the suburbs go downtown. Upgrades to public transit will reduce congestion for suburban commuters.

Willectro

Banned
I'm glad to see that the Presto pass will be finally implemented by the TTC. I hope this ends up being a huge positive for the public, but I'm sure the TTC is looking to leverage this to get more money out of us.

I'm also glad to see the bag ban being scrapped for now. No one can waste time like Toronto City Council does.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So a LRT from the airport to downtown is finally happening? Can that be extended to KW?

No. The extension to the airport via the Eglinton LRT was scrapped when Transit City was originally canned. Eglinton LRT will stop at Black Creek now. Also lost in the fighting over Transit City was the Jane LRT, Waterfront LRT , Don Mills LRT and the section of the Finch LRT from Finch West Station to Finch Station.

The original funded plan.

imVSGkRZiLNC2.png

The plan as it stands now.

So not only is it delayed half a decade, but we receive less than half the cover we originally had. Great job fighting for the people, Fordies.

Downtown needs the most services and infrastructure. I don't really see how a focus on downtown is a bad thing for a Toronto Mayor. Rob Ford was elected because of his disregard for downtown though, so maybe a downtown focus just isn't a winning issue these days.

The suburbs are the selfish and short sighted ones though, despite being financially well off they don't want to pay for anything that affects downtown. Upgrades to downtown benefit everyone because people from the suburbs go downtown. Upgrades to public transit will reduce congestion for suburban commuters.

Amalgamation still working its magic.

Zzoram

Plastic bag bans are more about cosmetics than the environment. People just don't like to see plastic bags blowing around the street or littering parks. The thin plastic bags used at most stores are usually produced by a local company using very little plastic while reusable bags are produced in China using substantially more material and then shipped across the world. You also have to wash the reusable bags if you want them to be sanitary because bacteria build up in them over time. The total energy and resource cost of using both types of bags may actually show that the thin plastic bags produced locally are equal or better for the environment. They can also be recycled easily (if you bother to put the empty bags in the recycling bin) or reused as garbage bags, reducing the purchasing of other garbage bags for garbage. Also, local jobs vs off shoring.

Plastic bag bans are a waste of time and effort. They should focus on transit as the #1 issue for Toronto City Council. Fix that shit already. Rob Ford is either out or discredited. Now is the time to move to reinstate as much of the original Transit City plan as possible. Also, they need to move fast to get the current Liberal government's promised Transit City funding before Hudak and the Conservatives win in 2013 because he would probably kill the deal if it isn't signed before he gets in.

It would be nice if they could implement the distance system and allow people / families living in Etobicoke / Scarborough living below a specific income level, to apply for a discounted PRESTO card (ie; $50 worth of credit per month loaded on to the card for $25).

I think that is a great idea.

krae_man

So not only is it delayed half a decade, but we receive less than half the cover we originally had. Great job fighting for the people, Fordies.

The Original plan still required connecting with the TTC Subway? The original plan was cheaped out to begin with.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The Original plan still required connecting with the TTC Subway? The original plan was cheaped out to begin with.

Yes, they still connected to the subway at multiple locations. What are you looking at? Even Eglinton was planned to be underground through downtown. It's like some sort of myth that Eglinton LRT was going to be above around before Ford saved it.

All the intersecting LRT lines were going to connect to the subway at their appropriate station. For the airport, you would go to Eglinton West, or you would transfer on to the Jane LRT, depending on your destination.

Not sure what was cheap about it, or what you were getting at. How was the original cheap and how is the second plan any better if the first was cheap?

krae_man

Yes, they still connected to the subway at multiple locations. What are you looking at? Even Eglinton was planned to be underground through downtown. It's like some sort of myth that Eglinton LRT was going to be above around before Ford saved it.

All the intersecting LRT lines were going to connect to the subway at their appropriate station. For the airport, you would go to Eglinton West, or you would transfer on to the Jane LRT, depending on your destination.

Not sure what was cheap about it, or what you were getting at. How was the original cheap and how is the second plan any better if the first was cheap?

You shouldn't have had to switch to the subway to get downtown. It should have went right to union station. Sure stop at a couple of places along the way for people not going right downtown, but having to switch trains is cheaping out.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You shouldn't have had to switch to the subway to get downtown. It should have went right to union station. Sure stop at a couple of places along the way for people not going right down town, but having to switch trains is cheaping out.

Yeah and now we have nothing. Good solution!

Running an LRT out to the region was an extra expense already, given the area doesn't have population density to warrant the service by itself. Having to switch trains is a minor concern compared to having no rail transit to the airport at all.

You shouldn't have had to switch to the subway to get downtown. It should have went right to union station. Sure stop at a couple of places along the way for people not going right downtown, but having to switch trains is cheaping out.
Toronto Taxi Cabs are a powerful lobby and is why any transit from downtown to the airport won't take flight.

krae_man

Yeah and now we have nothing. Good solution!

Running an LRT out to the region was an extra expense already, given the area doesn't have population density to warrant the service by itself. Having to switch trains is a minor concern compared to having no rail transit to the airport at all.

That is kind of my point. The plan had cost cutting concessions in it to beging with, how in the world did that get scrapped for something even worse?*

*Rob Ford seems to be the answer

Azih

There's a direct heavy rail link between the airport and union being built though for that purpose (to be ready in time for the PAN AM GAMES). It's a better approach than putting in light rail with multiple stops as the volume of people heading between Pearson and Union probably justifies the higher speed and greater capacity of heavy rail.

Not without its own controversy as residents along the line want it to be electric and not diesel while the province (MetroLinx) goes NO LOL TOO EXPENSIVE MAYBE UPGRADE LATER.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Rail_Link

Things *are* actually happening in the city. They're just happening in a Three Stooges kind of way.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
They've stopped back in July!

Most stores have kept with the fee though. I saw so many people getting angry at No Frills cashiers after the 5 cent fee was lifted, because No Frills kept the fee. As if the poor cashier was making the decision. Amazing to see how upset people are over it.

krae_man

There's a direct heavy rail link between the airport and union being built though for that purpose (to be ready in time for the PAN AM GAMES).

Not without its own controversy as residents along the line want it to be electric and not diesel while the province (MetroLinx) goes NO LOL TOO EXPENSIVE MAYBE UPGRADE LATER.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Rail_Link

Things *are* actually happening in the city. They're just happening in a Three Stooges kind of way.

That's nice, except for the part that it's another seperate entity with it's own fare structure. Amalgamate this stuff.

Markster

No. The extension to the airport via the Eglinton LRT was scrapped when Transit City was originally canned. Eglinton LRT will stop at Black Creek now. Also lost in the fighting over Transit City was the Jane LRT, Waterfront LRT , Don Mills LRT and the section of the Finch LRT from Finch West Station to Finch Station.

The original funded plan.

[big]

The plan as it stands now.

[small]
The dream plan was never fully funded. It got pared down to something similar to the current plan long before Ford got his hands on it. The 2008 financial crisis hit, the province dropped the funding from 12 billion to 8 billion, and one they had done further costing of the lines, they discovered that the full design would still cost way too much. Jane, Don Mills, Malvern, Eglinton to the Airport, and Waterfront West all got pushed to an amorphous "phase 2" that was unfunded.

You can blame Ford for 2021 instead of 2015~2018. Also, you can probably blame him for the loss of the Finch LRT all the way to Yonge.

Azih

That's nice, except for the part that it's another seperate entity with it's own fare structure. Amalgamate this stuff.

I'd be pretty surprised if this didn't use the Presto card as this is a MetroLinx project and MetroLinx loves Presto.

Most direct airport links are separate from local transit though. I wouldn't expect to have the same fare structure as either GO or TTC. There's nothing wrong with fleecing out of towners though! Shear them clean I say!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The dream plan was never fully funded. It got pared down to something similar to the current plan long before Ford got his hands on it. The 2008 financial crisis hit, the province dropped the funding from 12 billion to 8 billion, and one they had done further costing of the lines, they discovered that the full design would still cost way too much. Jane, Don Mills, Malvern, Eglinton to the Airport, and Waterfront West all got pushed to an amorphous "phase 2" that was unfunded.

You can blame Ford for 2021 instead of 2015~2018. Also, you can probably blame him for the loss of the Finch LRT all the way to Yonge.

Definitely. I wouldn't expect the project to go smoothly, or within budget (none of them do), but I would have liked to have kept all the LRT plans on the table. Now they're never heard of in any meeting. If they were still talked about, at least we could have environmental surveys, community input, pinning for funding and planning all being done as we build the priority lines.

It could have gone better.. to say the least.

krae_man

These transit plans always seem to double or triple in price by the end. If I was the mayor of the city, I would get some proposals, pick one and get the shovels in a matter of weeks. I would save my city billions!

looking for a HDTV 399 lowe 1080p with headphone jack ... check tigerdirect but i just see some random no name brands and every name brand doesn't have a headphone jack

Azih

These transit plans always seem to double or triple in price by the end. If I was the mayor of the city, I would get some proposals, pick one and get the shovels in a matter of weeks. I would save my city billions!

Where would you get the money from maaaaaan!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Plastic bag bans are more about cosmetics than the environment. People just don't like to see plastic bags blowing around the street or littering parks. The thin plastic bags used at most stores are usually produced by a local company using very little plastic while reusable bags are produced in China using substantially more material and then shipped across the world. You also have to wash the reusable bags if you want them to be sanitary because bacteria build up in them over time. The total energy and resource cost of using both types of bags may actually show that the thin plastic bags produced locally are equal or better for the environment. They can also be recycled easily (if you bother to put the empty bags in the recycling bin) or reused as garbage bags, reducing the purchasing of other garbage bags for garbage. Also, local jobs vs off shoring.

Plastic bag bans are a waste of time and effort. They should focus on transit as the #1 issue for Toronto City Council. Fix that shit already.
Finally some sense in here. Someone gonna approach this?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Would we pay token collectors the same?

edit: unrelated to anything in this thread whatsoever: any of you have your moms unfriend you on facebook?

I'm glad to see that the Presto pass will be finally implemented by the TTC. I hope this ends up being a huge positive for the public, but I'm sure the TTC is looking to leverage this to get more money out of us.

The concept of Presto is awesome. The reality of Presto is something less than awesome. It doesn't work like every other gift card in the country. You buy the card, then you register the card, then you can load the card, you can set a regular trip, but if you deviate, you have to remember to "override", if you re-load the card or auto-reload the card and you happen to be away for seven days, the money transfers back from "holding" into your bank account....Heaven forbid it should work like every other swipe card in the country. I'm also concerned that this "hardware upgrade" that the TTC vehicles are going to get over GO's system will mean I need a second Presto card just to get around...because I wouldn't put it past them to do that.

Anyway, yes, step forward. But OH SO MANY F-UPS to fix before I drink the whole kool aid.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The concept of Presto is awesome. The reality of Presto is something less than awesome. It doesn't work like every other gift card in the country. You buy the card, then you register the card, then you can load the card, you can set a regular trip, but if you deviate, you have to remember to "override", if you re-load the card or auto-reload the card and you happen to be away for seven days, the money transfers back from "holding" into your bank account....Heaven forbid it should work like every other swipe card in the country. I'm also concerned that this "hardware upgrade" that the TTC vehicles are going to get over GO's system will mean I need a second Presto card just to get around...because I wouldn't put it past them to do that.

Anyway, yes, step forward. But OH SO MANY F-UPS to fix before I drink the whole kool aid.

Come on! Have a little faith! Look what happened with our LRTs...

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

valid points. with that said i still love presto cards so far : ]

edit: oh yeah, for a solid month i was tapping the wrong thing (the yellow presto card stations for checking you balance). good thing i never got checked.

Biscuits

Well anything that helps bring the TTC to the 21st century can only be a good thing.

Just take our day passes and compare then with the ones from Montreal. It's an utterly embarrassing comparison.

h5ExM.jpg

shitty scratch card

vs

TgHpEm.jpg

thin card that you can just swipe at a terminal.
I've always wondered why TTC fair media was so ugly. I can see why things might need to be big/shiny to prevent counterfeits and fair evasion, but still. Can't wait for Presto!

Also just read this article in Macleans - I thought it was pretty well written. Turns out the writer also wrote a small ebook on Ford called 'The Gift of Ford' that you guys might enjoy. It's a shame he released it before Ford got sacked.

Magnus

TWO. THOUSAND. CENTS.

Where are you moving too?

Unknown. Getting to know some acquaintances/friends better who might be interested in rooming next year. One already has a place, another would shop around with me. Ideally somewhere near the core, or a bit further north but still close to Yonge.

Great second date ideas for Friday night? I'd love to show the guy a different kind of night than just drinks, but don't wanna go totally off the rails with anything super-involved.

Anyone? =/

Mr. F

Banned
Anyone familiar with any good Brazilian bakeries in the city?

I like Snakes & Lattes, but it depends on the person.

Seconded. Wait times for a table if you don't book ahead can vary wildly depending when you go, though (20 mins - 1.5 hours in my experience).

Magnus

Anyone familiar with any good Brazilian bakeries in the city?

Seconded. Wait times for a table if you don't book ahead can vary wildly depending when you go, though (20 mins - 1.5 hours in my experience).

I'd definitely thought about it for the future. A little too much for a second night out though, no? Especially a Friday night? Haha. I'd kind of prefer something to reinforce a particular mood if you know what I mean, instead of a well-lit (admittedly awesome/fun) games café.

Appreciate the suggestion though.

Mr. F

Banned
I'd definitely thought about it for the future. A little too much for a second night out though, no? Especially a Friday night? Haha. I'd kind of prefer something to reinforce a particular mood if you know what I mean, instead of a well-lit (admittedly awesome/fun) games café.

Appreciate the suggestion though.

It can definitely be an intimate date-like experience! But I see what you mean. Can't offer any other suggestions (hopelessly single) but I'm sure you'll think of something.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Can't say I have, a story behind this?

Sorry I'm laughing pretty hard though.
Mother-in-law unfriended my wife aka her daughter. In law is not good with computers and frankly I'm surprised she even knows how to log in... she had to go out of her way to find out how to remove her.

Wife is librul in law is conservative.

Doesn't hate her or anything. My wife was just surprised.

It is pretty funny the way she described it to me though...I mean it's your mother! :0

Hell, I think in law is still on MY friend's list...

valid points. with that said i still love presto cards so far : ]

edit: oh yeah, for a solid month i was tapping the wrong thing (the yellow presto card stations for checking you balance). good thing i never got checked.
Lol. You know I can't remember the last time I ever got checked on the GO train. It's been years and I use it every day.

Willectro

Banned
Mother-in-law unfriended my wife aka her daughter. In law is not good with computers and frankly I'm surprised she even knows how to log in... she had to go out of her way to find out how to remove her.

Wife is librul in law is conservative.

Doesn't hate her or anything. My wife was just surprised.

It is pretty funny the way she described it to me though...I mean it's your mother! :0

Hell, I think in law is still on MY friend's list...

I think it's odd to have your parents on Facebook in the first place.

Top Bottom