• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toshiba officially ends its HD-DVD support

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Dark Octave said:
Blu-Ray has gotten this far without them. Now they REALLY don't need them. Not imediatley anyway. I'd say Par and Uni need Blu-Ray more right now. I'm not saying Blu-Ray should cut all ties, but they have to teach them some kind of lesson. They can't just let them crawl back with a welcoming smile on their face. "welcome back buddy, we missed you!" Hell nah!

But like I said, the business man in me knows the difference between what I feel and how things work. I just wish Sony mixes a little bit of personal with their business when it comes to those two companies. Just this once.

And digital download will not be a significant threat for a long time. I wouldn't worry about that at all if I was Blu-Ray camp. Par and Uni have no where else to go.

I hope you are never in a decision making position at a major company. BRD beat HDDVD, now it needs to gain traction on its own. DVD is still a competitor, and DD while probably several years off is still on the horizon. They need to move now to grab as much market share as they can as quickly as possible.

The odds of BRD failing at this point are slim, but they do still risk being a niche market.. and doing anyting to keep Transformers, the new Indy movie, etc. off of your format is stupid.

StoOgE

The Main Event said:
Just hoping that all announced HD DVD titles from several studios are still coming out as planned, and on time.

There will be blood, Sweeney Todd, Charlie Wilson's War (but they could always switch it to Blu-ray).

And I still want my German version of Terminator 2.

Same here. If they move it to BRD thats fine since I plan on getting a player of some sort tommorow when I get my bonus check. I just dont want to wait an additional 6 months for these movies.

dude

dude
Dark Octave said:
Like, OMG rite?

C'mon lets say someone at your friend's job was trying to get her fired or rotated so she can take her position. You wouldn't have just a little grudge against that person?
My god, it's almost like the Blu-ray Disc Association thinks like a business.

Dark Octave said:
Blu-Ray has gotten this far without them. Now they REALLY don't need them. Not imediatley anyway. I'd say Par and Uni need Blu-Ray more right now. I'm not saying Blu-Ray should cut all ties, but they have to teach them some kind of lesson. They can't just let them crawl back with a welcoming smile on their face. "welcome back buddy, we missed you!" Hell nah!

But like I said, the business man in me knows the difference between what I feel and how things work. I just wish Sony mixes a little bit of personal with their business when it comes to those two companies. Just this once.

And digital download will not be a significant threat for a long time. I wouldn't worry about that at all if I was Blu-Ray camp. Par and Uni have no where else to go.
First of all, the only way Blu-ray will win, is by becoming the industry standard, to be the de-facto standard, and for that they need all big studios.
And yes, they should welcome them with a smile, why wouldn't they? I don't understand your logic at all. I also think it would be illegal of them to charge certain studios more for no reason at all, especially when the format does become the industry standard.

BTW, I just added a BR drive to the PC I'm building without worries, and it felt great.

StoOgE said:
I hope you are never in a decision making position at a major company. BRD beat HDDVD, now it needs to gain traction on its own. DVD is still a competitor, and DD while probably several years off is still on the horizon. They need to move now to grab as much market share as they can as quickly as possible.

The odds of BRD failing at this point are slim, but they do still risk being a niche market.. and doing anyting to keep Transformers, the new Indy movie, etc. off of your format is stupid.

Oh shut up. The personal attacks aren't needed. I already explained my mentality on the situation and that I understand business over personal feelings. But with that said, DVD ain't shit. No HDTV owner with a decent set is going to continue to buy and watch DVDs a year or two from now. It defeats the whole purpose of owning one. Par and Uni are in need of a next gen storage medium and no doubt they are in serious talks with Blu-Ray camp right now. What I WISH I could do and what I probably WOULD do are two totally different things. Do you not have any personal feelings?

StoOgE

Dark Octave said:
Oh shut up. The personal attacks aren't needed. I already explained my mentality on the situation and that I understand business over personal feelings. But with that said, DVD ain't shit. No HDTV owner with a decent set is going to continue to buy and watch DVDs a year or two from now. It defeats the whole purpose of owning one. Par and Uni are in need of a next gen storage medium and no doubt they are in serious talks with Blu-Ray camp right now. What I WISH I could do and what I probably WOULD do are two totally different things. Do you not have any personal feelings?

that wasnt a personal attack, it was a statement of fact. If you cant divorce emotion from business decisions, you shouldnt be involved in them. BRD needs Uni and Paramount just as much as they need them.

Also, while you and I agree that an HDTV needs HDM, a shocking large number of HDTV's have no source of HD content. Alot of HD owners just think the flat screen looks cool. There is still a battle to educate the average consumer.

SUPREME1

Banned
Seriosu question here:

Where is the best place to find HD DVDs for dirt cheap?

I'll continue to build as big a HD DVD library as I can. It'll be my little stash of HD alt media.. long after Blu-ray has take nover for DVD.

I already have a Blu-ray player, so I'm good on that end. I just want to be able to have a nice cheap 1080p secondary library.

Any help would be appreciated.

Peace.

Also:
R.I.P. HD DVD...

*sniff*

dude said:
My god, it's almost like the Blu-ray Disc Association thinks like a business.

First of all, the only way Blu-ray will win, is by becoming the industry standard, to be the de-facto standard, and for that they need all big studios.
And yes, they should welcome them with a smile, why wouldn't they? I don't understand your logic at all. I also think it would be illegal of them to charge certain studios more for no reason at all, especially when the format does become the industry standard.

BTW, I just added a BR drive to the PC I'm building without worries, and it felt great.
News flash. Blu-Ray has already won. HD-DVD is dead. DVD is the past. Digital downloads still has a ways to go. There is nothing that can stop Blu-Ray now. They can do whatever they want.

And how is charging one company more than another illegal? Is two people working at the same job getting paid different salaries illegal? It's their format. They can charge whatever they want for the license.

Again, please listen, I probably WOULD NOT, again, WOULD NOT, do this, but I WISH, again WISH they would. I understand the difference between business and personal feelings. Should I say it again, or do you want to continue to ignore that part of my posts and continue to comment on how much of a moron I would be in a decisive role at a major corporation?

StoOgE said:
that wasnt a personal attack, it was a statement of fact. If you cant divorce emotion from business decisions, you shouldnt be involved in them. BRD needs Uni and Paramount just as much as they need them.

Also, while you and I agree that an HDTV needs HDM, a shocking large number of HDTV's have no source of HD content. Alot of HD owners just think the flat screen looks cool. There is still a battle to educate the average consumer.
If you can't fully read and respond to someone's posts, then you shouldn't respond to them. I don't want to talk rudley to you, but you have me throwing my hands in the air. I don't know what else to say.

And yes I do agree with you about consumer ignorance. I apologize for my rude comments man. You came back at me in a mature manner and I appreciate that.

ImperialConquest said:
Seriosu question here:

Where is the best place to find HD DVDs for dirt cheap?

I'll continue to build as big a HD DVD library as I can. It'll be my little stash of HD alt media.. long after Blu-ray has take nover for DVD.

I already have a Blu-ray player, so I'm good on that end. I just want to be able to have a nice cheap 1080p secondary library.

Any help would be appreciated.

Peace.

Also:
R.I.P. HD DVD...

*sniff*

There's an already good one here: http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---Universal-Hi-Def-Sale_stcVVcatId476505VVviewcat.htm

dude

dude
Dark Octave said:
News flash. Blu-Ray has already won. HD-DVD is dead. DVD is the past. Digital downloads still has a ways to go. There is nothing that can stop Blu-Ray now. They can do whatever they want.

And how is charging one company more than another illegal? Is two people working at the same job getting paid different salaries illegal? It's their format. They can charge whatever they want for the license.

Again, please listen, I probably WOULD NOT, again, WOULD NOT, do this, but I WISH, again WISH they would. I understand the difference between business and personal feelings. Should I say it again, or do you want to continue to ignore that part of my posts and continue to comment on how much of a moron I would be in a decisive role at a major corporation?
News flash, most people don't have Blu-ray players, until they do, Blu-ray is still a niche. Blu-ray needs all it can get to break into mainstream.
Once it's a de facto standard, it'll be unfair to let Sony charge more for it only to certain company for no reason. Since HD DVD is gone and Blu-ray is alone on the HDM front, it's unfair to not let certain studios in. I don't see Nintendo for example making SEGA pay more for developers kit, because they can't.

I understand that, but why would you want them to do it? I don't understand why in hell do you care, it makes no sense to me. I just want one format to be a standard and find every movie I want in it, why would you WANT otherwise?

MechDX

Wife just left to grocery shop at WM. Told her to go ahead and grab American Gangster. I've got a feeling it will be one pf the last HD DVD movies released.

-=-ONI-=- said:
For all you guys that jump the gun early on the format war I suggest you get one of these....

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-UP5000-HD-DVD-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B000VDG0UK/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1203441957&sr=1-1

There extra cheap now :lol

Ill wait for the Toshiba HDBD XA1, dual format player.:D

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Aww damnit I didn't get to post one last time in the thread :(. I'll miss it. Oh well I'll comment here, yeah universal! Now that they're bluray also, them and spielberg can put out Jurassic park right?

Xater

msdstc said:
Aww damnit I didn't get to post one last time in the thread :(. I'll miss it. Oh well I'll comment here, yeah universal! Now that they're bluray also, them and spielberg can put out Jurassic park right?

Hell yes they can! Spielberg should now have no problems with that. :D

-=-ONI-=-

Banned
I hope people know Blu- Ray players will go up in price, not down.... its pretty simple, with no competition and all, the price of films may go up as well (or not change at all). The tech will be better, but thats of no consequence to me, since I planned on getting a PS3 anyway (as soon as they stop HACKING UP the thing!)

dude

dude
-=-ONI-=- said:
I hope people know Blu- Ray players will go up in price, not down.... its pretty simple, with no competition and all, the price of films may go up as well (or not change at all). The tech will be better, but thats of no consequence to me, since I planned on getting a PS3 anyway (as soon as they stop HACKING UP the thing!)
It's not like they're a monopoly, they need to get the price down and quick if they want to fight DVD.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sad to see that other thread go. I had the most posts, and it will likely be the only discernible "contribution" I'll ever make to GAF.

Crappy sendoff, if you ask me. The last post was anticlimatic. :(

Xisiqomelir

-=-ONI-=- said:
I hope people know Blu- Ray players will go up in price, not down.

Ban betz? I'll stake a month that every model currently on market with an official MSRP will see that MSRP decrease, not increase, from here on out.

Raistlin

-=-ONI-=- said:
I hope people know Blu- Ray players will go up in price, not down.... its pretty simple, with no competition and all, the price of films may go up as well (or not change at all).

:lol

Yeah ... because that's how things work when CE's are directly competing against each other.

Are DVD players still $500?

MechDX

We need an HD DVD movie firesale thread. I am salavating at the thought of how big my movie collection can grow for a low price.

-=-ONI-=- said:

Yes, just like DVD when it was the chosen industry standard format......

....wait-a-minute!

Does the concept of major electronics companies still having to compete against each other in the Blu-ray market elude perception?

dude said:
News flash, most people don't have Blu-ray players, until they do, Blu-ray is still a niche. Blu-ray needs all it can get to break into mainstream.
Once it's a de facto standard, it'll be unfair to let Sony charge more for it only to certain company for no reason. Since HD DVD is gone and Blu-ray is alone on the HDM front, it's unfair to not let certain studios in. I don't see Nintendo for example making SEGA pay more for developers kit, because they can't.

I understand that, but why would you want them to do it? I don't understand why in hell do you care, it makes no sense to me. I just want one format to be a standard and find every movie I want in it, why would you WANT otherwise?
Just a personal grudge. No other reason. That's why I said over and over that if I were in an actual business decision on the matter, I probably wouldn't punish them. But they tried to snatch the plate from under my nose (hypothetical), they sided 100% with the enemy just until yesterday, so of course I'm not going to have the greatest personal or business relationship with them right now. But I'd try to be as professional as possible.

And on the Blu-Ray thing. Nobody had to get DVD either, but they did. It'll take a while no matter what. They still make and sell VHS of new releases. I would say people have more of a reason to go Blu-Ray then they did to go DVD over VHS. If you own an HDTV, you don't really have a choice if you want to get your money's worth. You bought an HDTV because you want more. It makes no sense to stick to DVD at all. Back in 1998, it really didn't matter, TV was TV and many people were happy with VHS or DVD either way.

-=-ONI-=- said:
I hope people know Blu- Ray players will go up in price, not down.... its pretty simple, with no competition and all, the price of films may go up as well (or not change at all).

If you've followed what Sony's been saying about BR recently, it's that their goal is to now show people why they should move from DVD to BR. Now to accomplish that it's pretty safe to say that jacking up prices that people already see as high isn't a smart thing to do.

-=-ONI-=-

Banned
I'm not saying there won't be cheap BD players (there already are), but the best, hi-end players will still astronomical in price, somewhere between $1000-3000. When it comes to hardware, I don't fuck around, and thats why some cheapie Wal-Mart player won't cut it for me. Blu-Ray won't catchup to DVD anytime soon (thats years away), so the PS3 is most people's best bet.....

DrXym

-=-ONI-=- said:

Last time I checked there were blu ray players from Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Pioneer, LG, Sharp and many others. All of these manufacturers are competing against each other for your money.

So why is it that you think the price of players is going to go up?

More likely prices are going to come down and keep dropping as it goes mainstream, production increases and and economies of scale kick in. By the end of the year I expect there will be half a dozen players at or under $300 and maybe a few under $200.

pxleyes

Banned
-=-ONI-=- said:
I'm not saying there won't be cheap BD players (there already are), but the best, hi-end players will still astronomical in price, somewhere between $1000-3000. When it comes to hardware, I don't fuck around, and thats why some cheapie Wal-Mart player won't cut it for me. Blu-Ray won't catchup to DVD anytime soon (thats years away), so the PS3 is most people's best bet.....
Can you pass whatever you are smoking? It must be some good shit.

Xisiqomelir

-=-ONI-=- said:

Pure FUD. There will always be high-end players. Want to drop more than 3 Gs on a DVD player?

DVD-5910

$3,500.00

The DVD-5910 showcases the culmination of pro-grade processing, cutting-edge digital connectivity and advanced vibration-resistant construction to deliver the highest picture and sound quality ever developed. The DVD-5910 uses the finest 10-bit I/P converter, capable of performing one trillion operations per second, to not only dramatically improve motion detection but also accurately detect and correct lines on a per-pixel basis to effectively avoid “jaggies.”

The DVD-5910 is the world’s first DVD player to integrate 10-bit Precision Video Scaling™. The scaler executes optimum conversion to suit the output to the independent HDMI and DVI transmitters. Other high-end video features include 10-bit Pixel Image Correction, an ultra-sophisticated contour correction circuit, and Analog Device dual discrete 216 MHz/14-bit video DACs. The combined result of this breakthrough video processing is a dramatic improvement to your overall viewing experience – clean, blur-free movement, true-to-life colors and contours; and deeper, richer detail – a videophile’s dream come true.

Meticulous attention to multi-channel high resolution audio allows the DVD-5910 to reach new sonic heights. Advanced processing that includes five 192 kHz/24-bit DACs allow you to play either stereo, 5.1-channel SACDs or DVD-Audio discs in a breathtakingly lifelike experience.

Our engineers have thrown conventional wisdom in DVD player design out the window in order to create the world’s finest home entertainment source component. The end result is a uniquely designed universal player that brings new meaning to home entertainment quality, flexibility and performance.

Does that mean there'll never be affordable players in your 2-colour world?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
-=-ONI-=- said:

well that's wrong... PS3 is going to be the go to player for a while, sony made sure of this. It's the best player, and it's very cheap. So either way whether prices go up or down on players it really doesn't matter, the price technically will always be at most 400 dollars for your best option.

I still disagree with you on this besides that fact though. The way I see it the real war has just begun. That's why it's so good to hear that toshiba has finally put an end to this crap. It was pretty obvious from the start blu-ray had this locked up, or at least a few months after launch, but toshiba continued to deny the inevitable, especially when that paramount announcement came out. When you heard that it's like damn blu-ray didn't lose... but it looks like an HD format won't make it mainstream. Either way, with paramount and universal under it's belt now, I expect the BDA to go full steam ahead on this one now. Advertising, prices, sales, and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom