• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

Paches

A shot I managed to snag (Cleveland, OH):

FVBFmnB.jpg

So you are the guy taking pictures of UFOs?

I watched through a welder's mask. That was a safe option right? My eyes are the tiniest bit uncomfortable right now. I never saw it directly without the Welder's mask. Any chance I fucked up?

http://wibx950.com/most-welding-masks-and-goggles-are-not-safe-for-solar-eclipse-viewing/

I mean, I'm not trying to freak you out or anything, but it probably wasn't rated for viewing it. You're probably fine, but I definitely wouldn't use that method in the future.

HTupolev

They say the part of your eye that gets damaged has no pain receptors, so it isn't that.
Well, sort of. Much of what's in the eye CAN feel pain, and can also get sunburned. I wouldn't be surprised if lots of people end up feeling painful gritty scratchiness in their eyes for a few days.

HTupolev

It was quite obvious, though. We had about 75% coverage. Surprised it didn't get darker here, you couldn't really tell any difference in ambient light.
We perceive brightness on a sort of logarithmic curve, and our eyes adjust to the conditions. Quartering the light sounds like a lot, but when it happens as a gradual change, it's a small perceived difference. I had about 90% here, and it definitely looked and felt dim and eerie, but if I'd taken any photos it still basically would have looked like an ordinary sunny day. Even at 99% you'll still have a blue sky and sharp sun shadows.

VariantX

Experiencing totality is an otherworldly experience. Pretty much the whole store stopped work for 2 minutes to stare at the burning ring outside. Glad I lucked out and lived in a town to experience it without having to travel.

MikeDown

Banned
Was in prime totality in Salem, Oregon. Such a neat thing to experience, having a dead mass of rock pass in front of a vibrant firey orb that warms our planet. Great event for the patients to experience too

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
NASA Astronauts @NASA_Astronauts

Astronaut Michael Barratt captured these at 40k ft aboard the @AlaskaAir #GreatAmericanEclipse flight! #SolarEclipse2017 #TotalityAwesome

Nepenthe

Was down in midtown Atlanta, so no full totality for me. However, we had cloud cover that actually worked in our favor. Got this naked eye shot!

LwTAgUM.jpg

Top Bottom