• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

prag16

Banned
Anyone who is worried about a momentary glance at the sun is going to be okay.

It's amazing to me the hysteria over this. I guess the warnings not to look are similar to the warnings not to put your fingers underneath lawnmower blades while its running. Made for morons. And it obviously didn't work; there are tons of people complaining online about their eyes. Derp.

I personally glanced for < 1 second. It was about 69% at its peak here, and I was able to perceive the crescent (and actually had the crescent burned in my retina for a couple minutes). I win. Suck it sungazing alarmists.

Here's the pic I snapped of totality.

koStH2i.jpg

Wow that's an incredible shot!

I was able to get a few good looks here in North ish FL. About 85% covered. It was kinda neat but I will have plans for the 2024 Total Ellipse though.

BFIB

Finally got back home, took an hr and a half from Red Bud to O'Fallon IL where I live. Traffic was nuts.

Awesome experience, never really seen a filter like that during totality. Was pretty amazed at how quiet and still everything got.

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
You people have some amazing shots, mine feel cheap in comparison but here we go.

Took these using a Galaxy S5 with the solar filter over the camera. Having flash on actually made a better picture. Then I cropped the pictures.

Location: Central Alabama, where we got around 90-95% totality. As for how dark it got, it was pretty noticeable but not mind-blowing like 100% totality. It was like you were wearing sunglasses.

YoW6NQt.jpg

JwlxqGh.jpg

YLZsoQ2.jpg

7K5iavS.jpg

Our maximum:
M56QPdq.jpg

ufKIMjw.jpg

Jeff6851

Finally got back home, took an hr and a half from Red Bud to O'Fallon IL where I live. Traffic was nuts.

Awesome experience, never really seen a filter like that during totality. Was pretty amazed at how quiet and still everything got.

lol, Red Bud is like 10 minutes from me should have hung out

Van Bur3n

I condemn clouds. Now and forever. They're god's fluffy fecal matter trapped in Earth's atmosphere. Fucking lizard people did this, I bet.

But man, some of these photos look like some Dark Souls 3 shit. Guess I'll have to wait 7 years to get me a good shot. I will travel far and wide for it. This I swear by my honor.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
That was cool as hell. The sunlight was so weird just before... like wearing sunglasses but not. Reminded me of some filter used on TV shows to make it look late in the day... I remember an effect like that on Westworld.

emb

Went through the upcoming eclipses for my town. Some ok ones here and there in the 20s and 50s, but looks like the next really good one will be in 2078. Looking forward to it!
I'll be dead lol.

InfernoNR

Saw the totality right off of Lake Moultrie in SC. It was probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Took this at the beginning then soaked it all in.
lpk5hoR.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

lol

(Turn around.) Every now and then I get a little bit lonely. And you’re never coming ’round. (Turn around.) Every now and then I get a little bit tired of listening to the sound of my tears. (Turn around.) Every now and then I get a little bit nervous that the best of all the years have gone by. (Turn around.) Every now and then I get a little bit terrified. And then I see the look in your eyes.

(Turn around, bright eyes!) Every now and then I fall apart. (Turn around, bright eyes!) Every now and then I fall apart. (Turn around.) Every now and then I get a little bit restless. And I dream of something wild. (Turn around.)

Every now and then I get a little bit helpless. And I’m lying like a child in your arms (Turn around). Every now and then I get a little bit angry and I know I’ve got to get out and cry (Turn around). Every now and then I get a little bit terrified
But then I see the look in your eyes.

(Turn around, bright eyes!) Every now and then I fall apart.

(Turn around, bright eyes!) Every now and then I fall apart.

And I need you now tonight. And I need you more than ever. And if you only hold me tight. We’ll be holding on forever. And we’ll only be making it right. Cause we’ll never be wrong together.

Boggles my mind how we just happen to be alive at the right time on a planet that has such a perfect eclipse. Got to be the only intelligent species that gets to witness such a thing in the entire universe.

Anyone else feel really tired now? My body just feels weird.

I felt a little funny when I went back inside after for sure.

Now the ads on mobile in this thread are all wedding rings and diamonds.

I am sure google puts its best code on ad selection. Skynet is a long way off.

Drove 9 hours over the weekend to see the totality in Tennessee. Totally worth the trip. Awesome experience, glad I saw the whole thing.

Suplexer

This might be a silly question but better safe than sorry.

I have some yard work that I need to do, specifically tending to my pool. Is it safe to go outside without glasses to skim and tend to my pool right now? What about later tonight? Is there a time I should certainly avoid?

EDIT: I'm dumb, understood, thanks people lmao. &#10084;

prag16

Banned

I have some yard work that I need to do, specifically tending to my pool. Is it safe to go outside without glasses to skim and tend to my pool right now? What about later tonight? Is there a time I should certainly avoid?

I am right outside Philly, if that matters.

Really hope this is a joke post.

MIMIC

Banned

Safety-wise, it's like any other day.

Tadale

I drove up to the North Georgia mountains from Atlanta to see the total eclipse. It was really incredible, and the area I was in was much less crowded than I anticipated.

It's kind of scary how many people I've seen ask questions like this online and in real life...

I remember the total eclipse of 99. Sadly it was cloudy on the day, but it still went as black as night and all of the sea gulls went ape shit.

Ganhyun

We did a thing at work and watched it. In the Atlanta Metro area so not full totality, but was still cool to watch it get darker for a bit and hear crickets and stuff come out for a few minutes.

jstripes

Banned
Luckily someone where I work brought glasses, so I got to see it. I'd made a little pinhole device, but seeing it directly was so much better, even if it was only 80%.

It got eerily dim outside, too. What makes it so strange is it dims without the long shadows and colour scattering we're used to with the sunset, or the dull shadows of overcast.

Joba62x

Neo Member
Orlando here was riding my bike on the Jay blanchard trail from about 130 to 400 and checked it every 5 min or so, no clouds but it never got more than a sliver, like a thumb nail was covering it. I just closed one eye and looked real quick wearing polarized tags. No vision issues, its the same sun thats always there, would have been nice to see the difference with the paper glasses but I don't think I missed much.

Top Bottom