• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Pharaoh - Official Announce Trailer

geary

Watch the announcement trailer for Total War: Pharaoh, the next game in the strategy franchise coming in October 2023. Get ready to dive into the turbulent events of the Egyptian New Kingdom period where you will determine the fate of three great cultures as they fight for survival amid the cataclysmic Bronze-Age Collapse. In Total War: Pharaoh, the Pharaoh is dead, and the people of Egypt, Canaan, and the Hittite empire cry out for a new leader. Many desire the power of the throne, but the path to becoming Pharaoh is a perilous one. As the leader of these great nations, you must overcome societal collapse, face natural disasters and fight to protect your people against invaders from far off lands.  Total War: Pharaoh features a choice of eight faction leaders from three rich cultural hubs, with unique playstyles and diverse unit rosters. Whether you’re charming the courts as a peerless diplomat, charging into battle as an unwavering commander or causing chaos as a fearless warlord, become a leader that history will remember.

Sybrix

Reading the details it sounds historic.

I really dont want anymore bullshit Warhammer or Mythical Troy type games, please bring back historical TW games!!!!

In the game desc i didnt read any wizards or magic or spells or mystic power bullshit.......this is looking promising.

diffusionx

Gold Member
IBiomaL.png

I'm ready

I can't stand CGI trailers.... Nice to look at, but I just want to see gamplay
you know what you're getting with these games at this point

supernova8

Banned
I can't stand CGI trailers.... Nice to look at, but I just want to see gamplay
True.. but at the same time Creative Assembly has always delivered strong visuals with their Total War titles, so I'm not worried about it.

(Also I'm surprised they haven't done a Warhammer 40K game now with the conquest mode spanning multiple planets, especially since Dawn of War is nowhere to be seen)

Last edited:

Killer8

Always on board for Egyptian stuff. I don't normally care about Assassins Creed but bought Origins just for the setting and it's one of my favorite experiences in gaming.

geary

True.. but at the same time Creative Assembly has always delivered strong visuals with their Total War titles, so I'm not worried about it.

(Also I'm surprised they haven't done a Warhammer 40K game now with the conquest mode spanning multiple planets, especially since Dawn of War is nowhere to be seen)
TW40K will be next, I can bet that....They explore the idea with Chaos Dwarfs which have the feel of a 40K unit.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Those pre-order icons could just be a red herring, but this LOOKS like it has the feel of THREE KINGDOMS and I loved that one for one reason and one reason only: the focus on other ways of dominating the game beyond being a badass military commander. The wars in TK were honestly great, but the level of attention to the diplomacy system (that made the diplomacy in WH look like a joke of an afterthought) made the non-war moments actually interesting to play.

. . .especially with how they tried to bring in different play styles for all the Leaders, which is something I am hoping is in this (though knowing nothing about this era in history I have no idea if there are enough "popular" historical pharaoh's to make this work).

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I was hoping they build a new engine after TWW3 because I can't stand that old, unoptimized one they have right now.
Battles should be more organic and not dependent on these pre-rendered animations. Wait and see.

Steam has more info and screens too:

AS_THE_GREAT_RISE.gif
DYNAMIC_BATTLES.gif
CHOOSE_YOUR_LEADER.gif
UNEARTH_ANCIENT_EGYPT.gif

ss_acf1264ee92bde5a091cfdaa40ca75afb9b00e34.jpg
ss_c41734be7b1c8c05ec27b5da655f9b14e954dd73.jpg
ss_1742bd51bd42c37a710a03d439f102f8fe3862dd.jpg
ss_32102c47e13594177a372193eccc89ae23afc5aa.jpg

Creative Assembly have taken over the strategy genre as far as I'm concerned. Which other studio has churned out historical hits like they have? Relic Entertainment (which is also owned by Sega ironically) are their main competition. Ensemble Studios who created Age of Empires has faded into the ether and Westwood Studios was suffocated with a pillow by EA. Who else is there out there with the pedigree than these guys have?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Yes. Yesssss.

I'm not too familiar with this eta of history. What should we expect?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
As a huge fan of Total War......meh.

We've had the Bronze age recently with Troy. This could have easily been an extension to that game.

Would have preferred Empire 2 (with a far larger map) or Pike and Shotte.

geary

Creative Assembly have taken over the strategy genre as far as I'm concerned. Which other studio has churned out historical hits like they have? Relic Entertainment (which is also owned by Sega ironically) are their main competition. Ensemble Studios who created Age of Empires has faded into the ether and Westwood Studios was suffocated with a pillow by EA. Who else is there out there with the pedigree than these guys have?
There's also Paradox and Firaxis, but they are on other strategy genre.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This could be fun I guess but wth is it gonna take for them to make Medieval 3? 😫

We're never getting Med 3.

We know a sequel to 3K is in development, so that'll be up after this one.

Best we can hope for is that Feral Interactive are given the chance to remaster Med 2 like they did with the original Rome.

There's also Paradox and Firaxis, but they are on other strategy genre.
Seems as though Firaxis haven't made one of their conventional Civilization games in years. Paradox is an obvious choice as they've released several games in the strategy genre, though the difference lies in real-time and turn-based.

supernova8

Banned
I was hoping they build a new engine after TWW3 because I can't stand that old, unoptimized one they have right now.
Battles should be more organic and not dependent on these pre-rendered animations. Wait and see.

Steam has more info and screens too:

AS_THE_GREAT_RISE.gif
DYNAMIC_BATTLES.gif
CHOOSE_YOUR_LEADER.gif
UNEARTH_ANCIENT_EGYPT.gif

ss_acf1264ee92bde5a091cfdaa40ca75afb9b00e34.jpg
ss_c41734be7b1c8c05ec27b5da655f9b14e954dd73.jpg
ss_1742bd51bd42c37a710a03d439f102f8fe3862dd.jpg
ss_32102c47e13594177a372193eccc89ae23afc5aa.jpg
Is this a visual upgrade from Total Warhammer 3? I checked out some videos of TW3 and I can't see any obvious improvements.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Is this a visual upgrade from Total Warhammer 3? I checked out some videos of TW3 and I can't see any obvious improvements.
It may have some new features (like the fire which seems part of the gameplay) but I'm not expecting much.
What I would like to see is a total overall of the battle system and the gestion of soldiers on the battlefield because too many things are tied to pre-rendered animations. They need to build something like Euphoria on a new engine, it's time.

supernova8

Banned
It may have some new features (like the fire which seems part of the gameplay) but I'm not expecting much.
What I would like to see is a total overall of the battle system and the gestion of soldiers on the battlefield because too many things are tied to pre-rendered animations. They need to build something like Euphoria on a new engine, it's time.

Given how it's the main genre where you'd play both super zoomed out and super zoomed in, seems like the perfect application for that Unreal 5 nanite technology. Imagine having amazing model and texture quality with no obvious LOD pop in as you zoom closer.

isual

You guys have to understand, whatever CA shows is is probably the most good looking pictures or scenes they will show to present to the market. The developer has been riddled in the past with optimization issues, bugs at launch, which took time (year or years) for the games to be good. One could also argue that the current releases have been quite solid (warhammer 3, troy, even 3 kingdoms), but with decent launches comes content to the game that has been pulled and then opted as DLC (mechanics, units, campaigns).

Optimistic, but it will not be a day 1 purchase for me. probably at the first sale (10 or even 20 percent off).

You guys have to understand, whatever CA shows is is probably the most good looking pictures or scenes they will show to present to the market. The developer has been riddled in the past with optimization issues, bugs at launch, which took time (year or years) for the games to be good. One could also argue that the current releases have been quite solid (warhammer 3, troy, even 3 kingdoms), but with decent launches comes content to the game that has been pulled and then opted as DLC (mechanics, units, campaigns).

Optimistic, but it will not be a day 1 purchase for me. probably at the first sale (10 or even 20 percent off).
Don't foget, there are times when entire games get abandoned because they don't see the point of fixing it anymore. Like with the Napoleon game. I personally bought Rome2 at launch and realized it is an unfinished mess. I don't know if they eventially fixed it or not but I am never buying TW game at launch any more.

mrmeh

Love me some Total War... but not sure they have gotten much better since original Rome/Medieval. Battle AI has always sucked and the region management got more convoluted. Graphics got better but not compared to the PC its running on. Last one I bought was Warhammer 2, didn't get round to playing it much though - Is Troy good? I enjoyed playing the first Viking one on a tighter small map, I think bigger maps become a slog.

Woopah

Don't foget, there are times when entire games get abandoned because they don't see the point of fixing it anymore. Like with the Napoleon game. I personally bought Rome2 at launch and realized it is an unfinished mess. I don't know if they eventially fixed it or not but I am never buying TW game at launch any more.
I went back to Rome 2 after a few years and they made it much much better, especially the politics side.
I've said this many times. This series needs a mode where you can take over any of the soldiers on the battlefield in FPS/TPS style and fight in the huge battle yourself.
This was sort of the idea behind Spartan Total Warrior. Its a really fun game!

Pakoe

I've been trying to get into Total War games for a few times but just get my head wrapped around them.
Seems like there are good games in the series, but I'm to retarded to know wtf I'm doing lol.

Sybrix

It's sounding like a full historical Total War game and not another Troy type game.

Really excited for this.

Woopah

Just finished. Great video. Thanks! Sounds like to get the full picture, they need to really up environment factors for campaign mode.
They are reaaaaaallllly leaning into the "collapse" factor. Should make it very different to the other games.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Honestly doesn't look super interesting.

Historical ones just aren't that exciting to play, or rather get old very quickly.
All units basically look the same, there are no abilities, no spells, no flyers, no monsters, nothing...
Factions will all be pretty much identical (if 3K is anything to go by).
It's just really, really basic stuff.
I don't see any more longevity in this than in 3K or something like Troy.

That asking price is raising a bunch of eyebrows, too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom