• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Totino's Presents: Sonic 25th Anniversary Bee Farm and Vacuuming Convention

How excited are you for Sonic Mania?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun was excellent on guitar, Johnny didn't seem to remember a lot of the words and kept holding the mic for the audience to sing, which the mic didn't pick up, so the words would just drop in and out.

I don't know if I'd call Jun excellent on the guitar. He wasn't awful, certainly not as bad as Johnny, but every now and then he'd hit a sour note, or brush the chords during a silent part, or something. They were both kind of sloppy, though Johnny seemed to jump off the deep end in that regard.

I wonder how much they practiced.

Aswell

As a non-native English speaker, I did not really get the meaning of the word "cringe" I already read there in some other threads.
After having streamed parts of this last night and viewed the compilation posted above, I can tell now I have got quite a good understanding of what something "cringe" is.

Ultimadrago

As a non-native English speaker, I did not really get the meaning of the word "cringe" I already read there in some other threads.
After having streamed parts of this last night and viewed the compilation posted above, I can tell now I have got quite a good understanding of what something "cringe" is.

This is outstanding. Haha! I'm glad the stream showed to be so educational. It actually defined itself!

I don't know if I'd call Jun excellent on the guitar. He wasn't awful, certainly not as bad as Johnny, but every now and then he'd hit a sour note, or brush the chords during a silent part, or something. They were both kind of sloppy, though Johnny seemed to jump off the deep end in that regard.

I wonder how much they practiced.

Are you kidding? I almost can't believe he was playing live is was that good. Johnny hit so bad notes, but he's also almost 50 and it's live. Part of the live experience, the song isn't going to sound the same as the recording room. He might have hit a 'bad note' here or there, but when he hit them, he really hit them with that killer voice.

I dunno, I love this kind of guitar, hairband screaming kind of thing. It was funny in the thread when some Sonic fans went completely limp when they played non sonic music, even though it was the exact same kind of stuff.

Raitaro

Entertaining stream - but for all the wrong reasons of course (except Crush 40's music). One of THE Gaf threads of the year so far as a result as well. Cheers for the laughs guys, even if I had them well after the fact by watching a recording and reading along! (Which is even sadder than staying up for it I guess...)

Man oh man, Sega really remains clueless about what to do with this franchise in terms of innovation it seems. Instead of taking the extra time that the outsourcing of Sonic Boom has granted Sonic Team and use that to go back to the drawing board and do a full reboot of 3D Sonic (preferably like ShayMay suggests in his excellent Spitball videos), they again go for the safe, status quo maintaining option of making yet another attempt to capture the magic of the 2D games and doing another Generations so that no fan is left out. The fact that so many people seem to be genuine fans of downright terrible games like Sonic Boom, going by people's reactions at the event at least, is not helping either in communicating to Sega that the series needs to be built up from the ground again (imo) if they ever want to return to the quality standards set in the 16-bit days and be able to do a proper momentum-based 3D game that would be for Sonic what Mario 64 was for Mario (and which would be without humans, human cities, unneeded additional friends, etc.).

Granted, Sonic Mania does look cool and Taxman does have the chops to create the game that should have been Sonic 4. That said, it worries me a bit that this is essentially a fully non-Sega Japan / non-Sonic Team endeavour going by the lack of Japanese names in the (btw awesome!) post-show credits - which in a sense makes it an officially endorsed fangame. Not that that is a problem necessarily, but it does make the thing feel less official imo.

Finally, I would have appreciated it greatly if they had announced ports of Sonic 1, CD, 2 and S3&K for consoles running on Taxman tech as well in celebration of the series past, especially if their goal was to cater to oldschool fans by going for safe options. Why keep those phenomenal versions locked to tablets and phones instead of allowing console fans to enjoy them in widescreen on their tv's? (And why wasn't there a Taxman version made for S3&K in the first place, not even now for the anniversary?) Surely this would be a relative easy job if the tech is already running on said consoles due to Sonic Mania (assuming it's the same of course).

Thanks Sega, I guess?
Thanks Gaf!

shaowebb

All I know is that both Sonic Mania and Sonic Generations 2 look stellar and are things folks have not stopped saying they wanted made so I think Sega did good this time around and listened to the right fans. Sonic Colors and Generations were the only stellar 3d Sonic titles so going back to do more like them was excellent to see them do.

SOR5

I keep watching the kid unintelligibly screaming during Sonic Heroes and im addicted

Probably the funniest moment of the industry in 2016

CNCOMICS

CoBjHCQWIAEdrGj.jpg

It doesn't matter now, what happens.
This is Glorious

Despite some of the negatives this stream had, I had a lot of fun.

I'm wwayyyyyy more excited about Mania.

Sonic Mania is a weird one for me. I am still interested in it for sure, but the game itself comes off as something that was cobbled together by people from Sonic Retro. I am not really saying that as an insult, but I find it interesting that Sega is now digging further into the Sonic modding community for further inspiration on new games.

Raitaro

Sonic Mania is a weird one for me. I am still interested in it for sure, but the game itself comes off as something that was cobbled together by people from Sonic Retro. I am not really saying that as an insult, but I find it interesting that Sega is now digging further into the Sonic modding community for further inspiration on new games.

I can't fully shake this feeling either though I also am interested to see how it pans out and am quite hopeful for it based on what they showed so far. I'm hoping for a good mix of old and new levels (the old ones with twists) and for a good amount of total zones so people won't complete it in one sitting the first time. Some new style bonus games and possibly a fourth new or forgotten character could be cool as well, if handled properly, as it would continue the trend set by Sonic 2 and 3 to introduce a new character that did win over people and become a mainstay.

Now that I think about it though, isn't it a bit weird that even though they are making such a big deal out of the fact that 2016 is Sonic's 25th anniversary, the best we're getting in celebration of that fact is a new (unwanted) Sonic Boom game and announcements for 2 potentially great games for 2017?

Wouldn't it have been better if Sonic Mania had come out this year - preferably right after the presentation in patented Sega Saturn style - or if they had announced Taxman ports of the classics (including S&K) for PC and consoles as well for this year as a gift to fans and to help people get more hyped for Mania? (Apologies if this comes across as port begging but I felt it was relevant to bring up again considering Whitehead is doing Mania while his previous work is not available on the same consoles yet.)

Oh well.

At least they showed the trailer twice in that 3.5 hour wtf broadcast. But it doesn't look like Sonic Generations 2. It just looks like a new sonic game built with the Sega Genesis engine

Jay RaR

Got pretty excited but a bit dazed at the Sonic 2017 reveal. Showing a post-apocalyptic setting is strange and a bit worrying since it gives off vibes of 06. Classic Sonic showed up did annoy me since I really want to play as other characters again besides Sonic, but his gameplay was largely inoffensive in Generations.

Just hope that Modern Sonic is all 3D and the story is written 'decently' well with as little cringe as possible.

i don't think this is the case...i see it more as the fan community finally making ground with sega after years of ambivalence and failure

The fact that they have to turn to the Sonic modding community only really shows how incompetent Sega has been with this franchise up to this point. It is a far cry from where Nintendo sits with Mario.

But at the same time, I do think it is an interesting turn of events. At this point people pulled out of Sonic Retro to develop this game seem to understand how these games work much better than the people do at Sega.

At least they showed the trailer twice in that 3.5 hour wtf broadcast. But it doesn't look like Sonic Generations 2. It just looks like a new sonic game built with the Sega Genesis engine

It's not really the "Genesis" engine though. The game is using Taxman's Retro Engine which is a 2D game engine that can also handle polygons that was built from the ground up to emulate all of the quirks of the classic Sonic games. It was used for the HD ports of Sonic CD, Sonic 1 and 2 HD (on Mobile). I really still want to see Sonic 1 and 2 HD get ports to PC/ consoles.

But the engine itself is a really good base for Sonic Mania to be built from.

Vappy

Neo Member
i don't think this is the case...i see it more as the fan community finally making ground with sega after years of ambivalence and failure
It's not the first time they've pulled on the work of the fans for an official release. Aside from Taxman and Stealth's work with the Sonic 1, 2 and CD ports, there was also the Sonic Classic Collection for DS which was mainly the homebrew emulator jEnesisDS, Sega bought the author on board and had him lead the project.

Ristifer

I think it's best to remember that this is still an anniversary-type celebration game. It's meant to celebrate Sonic's roots, while giving fans some new 2D territories to explore.

Digging further within the community and allowing Taxman and co. to develop something like this is a great way to celebrate the franchise.

I think it's best to remember that this is still an anniversary-type celebration game. It's meant to celebrate Sonic's roots, while giving fans some new 2D territories to explore.

Digging further within the community and allowing Taxman and co. to develop something like this is a great way to celebrate the franchise.

The pricing on this game will be interesting. I don't think it would sell well at $59.99 but at $29.99 or $19.99 I think it would do fine

RagnarokX

A cringe is a facial expression a person makes when they are in pain, physically or emotionally. To describe something as "cringeworthy" means it's painful to watch.

So a tech that worked on the show answered some questions about what happened, not making excuses, but giving their side.

https://twitter.com/HunterBridges/status/758008405231403008
(You may need to go out to their profile to see all the related Tweets.)

According to them, that chunk of weird stalling and interviews later on was because Aaron Webber's girlfriend was involved in an accident, and he had to go "identify her to the paramedics". (She's ok, he says.) Doesn't excuse what happened before, but puts the end of that show in a different light.

So a tech that worked on the show answered some questions about what happened, not making excuses, but giving their side.

https://twitter.com/HunterBridges/status/758008405231403008
(You may need to go out to their profile to see all the related Tweets.)

According to them, that chunk of weird stalling and interviews later on was because Aaron Webber's girlfriend was involved in an accident, and he had to go "identify her to the paramedics". (She's ok, he says.) Doesn't excuse what happened before, but puts the end of that show in a different light.

Here's a thread on it from yesterday
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1253097

Top Bottom