• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Community Thread | Highly Responsive to Posts

microfolk

Actually you can Auto Collect in IN, it just depends on the character (if you're the Witch team, Marisa already auto collects; the rest of the teams require you to focus to make it work). It's not 100% the same but it still works just as well.

I agree that IN and MoF are pretty easy compared to EoSD. That's pretty much why I think that if you can get EoSD down now; you won't have to worry about going back to it when you go to the other games, and also if you can get EoSD then the next few games should be a cinch. That's just my opinion though.

I know, I was just being nitpicky, I'm sorry. :p
And I absolutely agree about what you're saying here (though I find PCB even easier than IN but I have HUGE problems with Marisa and Kaguya that are born from my irrational fear of tons of multi colored bullets, the fourth stage of PCB scared me to death as well but I eventually learned how to deal with it), but still I find EoSD really fascinating, both for its simple mechanics and the OST and the cast, they may be the most iconic of the whole serie.

Well scoring is pretty important for surviving since you get extra lives every 20 million points and each life comes with 3 bombs. But yeah I think I'll just stick it out.

I'm anticipating getting to IN though, seems like it has some pretty cool systems.

Mh according to the wiki an extend is granted at 10, 20, 40, and 60 million points, and if I remember correctly it's not really that hard to hit the 60 million mark if you play moderately well, at least in Normal. No need to do strange things like mad grazing, milking the boss attacks or timing the killing blow just to maximize the number of bullets on screen.
Though I was talking about the games after EoSD, where the scoring mechanics can be largely ignored if you just aim for survival (PCB, MoF) or you just need to know a tiny subset of them (IN), and the only game that tie scores to extends is MoF.
I'm just saying that when trying to do a 1cc it's better to focus on staying alive and aiming for the safest spot than trying to maximize your score and taking risks, the games are made in such a way that they don't penalize you if you're just trying to play safe.

upandaway

Personally I haven't really considered going through the games in order after "finishing" them, I always go back between them all on whims. I think you'll just burn out if you try to 1cc a game before moving to the next one.

About not being to go back to EoSD, I don't know, I've gone back from TD to SoEW without a problem! There are always the patches but I think the games are good even without the extra features. Especially something like EoSD which is a fan favorite.

I can't say anything about "moving on", but both PCB and IN are more newbie friendly in a sense.

Another thing that should be in the OP: the Vsync Patch.
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Game_Tools_and_Modifications#Vsync_Patches

They are a series of tools that provides some helpful features that can be considered essential:
- Reduction of input delay.
- Enabling custom window size.
- Enabling replay fast-forwarding in earlier games.

PCB in particular suffers from severe input delay in full-screen mode, which the VPatch can mitigate, but not completely eliminate. IN and EoSD also have noticeable delays.

A few weeks ago I saw a forum thread where the OP asked whether the Super Robot Wars games are worth playing purely for their SRPG gameplay, and the answers were uniformly "no, they are not; if you can take Touhou, play Fantasy Maiden Wars instead, huge improvement on the SRW formula".

I've now tried my hand on the first Fantasy Maiden Wars. Can't say anything about strategic depth, but that's a really impressive package, from artwork to gameplay to the soundtrack, which are mashups of Touhou and SRW/robot anime music.
I never noticed a delay but I'm generally oblivious to things like that, so that patch seems nice, I'll have to try it out sometime.

demidar

Mh according to the wiki an extend is granted at 10, 20, 40, and 60 million points, and if I remember correctly it's not really that hard to hit the 60 million mark if you play moderately well, at least in Normal. No need to do strange things like mad grazing, milking the boss attacks or timing the killing blow just to maximize the number of bullets on screen.
Though I was talking about the games after EoSD, where the scoring mechanics can be largely ignored if you just aim for survival (PCB, MoF) or you just need to know a tiny subset of them (IN), and the only game that tie scores to extends is MoF.
I'm just saying that when trying to do a 1cc it's better to focus on staying alive and aiming for the safest spot than trying to maximize your score and taking risks, the games are made in such a way that they don't penalize you if you're just trying to play safe.

Hitting 60 million isn't that hard yeah, but I sometimes get cocky and do tricky stuff that blows up in my face :(

Evilisk

Don't know if anybody else has been playing, but I've finally done a normal* clear for 14.3. I would have been done sooner if it weren't for a certain
bat themed
level...

*as in complete each level at least once

Spoilers (though it's technically in Japanese)

cuc

Well that's kind of a shame about being Practice Mode only

Also is that 3.5 GB for 7.5 only?
There I was, spouting half-remembered nonsense again in this thread lol

Just checked, 7.5 IaMP is 1.2 GB after installation and patching; 10.5 and 12.3 are around 1 GB each, so 3.5 GB was more like the combined size of Touhou fighting games.

I can't trust myself with providing an adequate description of any fighting game, but while 10.5/12.3 is designed to be fast-paced and somewhat chaotic, 7.5 is more deliberate. Combined with the lack of time limit, this also means matches can take longer than usual.

cj_iwakura

Humble effort:

hNUXBNU.jpg

Only caught the first spell card. :( Only one death though!

microfolk

I think I'll settle with the last score I posted, I can easily get 200m+ but to go above 220m I'd need to do a perfect run AND figure how to milk out some additional millions from the spellcards, and I can't really cope with the stress needed to do such runs ahaha.
I'm pretty proud of myself though so that's nice.

upandaway

My biggest problem is definitely consistency. I keep doing silly mistakes 5 seconds into the attempt, I only get past the midboss like once every 20 tries.

microfolk

Got up to 125, but the Orb card breaks me. I can even capture the last one, just not Orb. :(

Just stay on the bottom of the screen and tap left and right to dodge the little bullets while always staying at the leftmost or the rightmost part of her sprite in order to switch side when she spews the giant spheres while continuing to damage her. This is particularly useful with Marilice since poor Alice has ridicolously poor horizontal range and you you should want to end the spellcard as soon as possible (I think? It doesn't seem particularly milkable to me)

Ironically the most difficult part of the stage for me would be Keine's second non-spell card (the first she use when you meet her at the end of the stage), the bullets clutter the screen too quickly and often I can't see any safespot at all. Even when I'm not trying to stay unfocused as much as possible I still bomb or die more time than I'm comfortable with. :\

upandaway

Man, my last best run was pretty much the best I could hope for outside of more graze and actually doing the Last Spell, and I can't even replicate it. Oh well.

How much points can you even get with Reimu/Yukari in Keine's Last Spell?

cj_iwakura

What's the criteria to get a boss to do an extra spell card? I did Lorelai with Reimu and captured every card but no extra.

G-Fex

I always thought it was a bit weird for you to not show your face here wearing (previously) a Cirno avatar.

That's cause I like cirno emotes that cirno_tv uses on twitch. I didn't know she was a touhou character til later. I've played IN for years and didn't know too much about the other Touhou games.

I want more now ;-;

demidar

That's cause I like cirno emotes that cirno_tv uses on twitch. I didn't know she was a touhou character til later. I've played IN for years and didn't know too much about the other Touhou games.

I want more now ;-;

That is very surprising, but it must be nice to find out there's more of what you like. Have some ska Cirno.

EoSD update: I took the wussy option and upped my lives to 5, still deciding which character to focus on but I seemed to have the best luck with Reimu A and Marisa B (Reimu B's bomb is so eh and Marisa A just doesn't do well for me). I can manage to get to the final boss with 0 lives left, but I don't think Remilia is too hard. I can spend about 2 lives on her on a bad run. Sakuya is the most dangerous, followed closely by Patche (those damn lasers) and those two are who eat up most of my lives. Also hate Hong's last two spellcards, I usually fire a bomb at them rather than risk a life. I think I'll be able to 1-cc it by the week's end.

I will order PCB and IN tomorrow maybe.

microfolk

What's the criteria to get a boss to do an extra spell card? I did Lorelai with Reimu and captured every card but no extra.

You only have to collect the required number of time orbs for the current stage, but be aware there are no last spell in easy mode.

EDIT: Ok so I was lying before:

Now THIS is a score I have no intention to improve on, I'm still shaking from having completed a perfect run after at least 30 attempts, but since I'm really happy I proceeded to record the run and upload it on youtube because why the fuck not. The quality sucks since I don't really know how to record videos or compress them or how youtube works but it should be clear enough.

Never payed the games but I figured I should post here due to the fact that my avatar is Cirno-nee. I do however enjoy the music and I love IOSYS.

upandaway

EDIT: Ok so I was lying before:

Now THIS is a score I have no intention to improve on, I'm still shaking from having completed a perfect run after at least 30 attempts, but since I'm really happy I proceeded to record the run and upload it on youtube because why the fuck not. The quality sucks since I don't really know how to record videos or compress them or how youtube works but it should be clear enough.
Hmm I could get close to that (like ~210) based on point checkpoints but it'd definitely require a perfect run. And the stage plays so much more differently from Barrier, I had no clue it was this big of a change.

I'd upload too but I tried recording a while ago and couldn't figure it out. Oh well~

cj_iwakura

Very impressive. Starting to run out of games to use... so the next likely defaults to Mountain of Faith.

cuc

Did anyone notice that the thread OP LeleSocho has been banned? Hopefully this won't affect the thread itself.

upandaway

Don't know if anybody else has been playing, but I've finally done a normal* clear for 14.3. I would have been done sooner if it weren't for a certain
bat themed
level...

*as in complete each level at least once

Spoilers (though it's technically in Japanese)
By the way congrats on this. What are your impressions so far? I haven't seen almost anything of it aside from the trailer which looked amazing.

Did anyone notice that the thread OP LeleSocho have been banned? Hopefully this won't affect the thread's life.
He requested it, should be back by September. Hopefully I'll remember to let him know of the things you said to add to the OP, otherwise you're free to let him know yourself.

cuc

That's good to know. I'm mostly a lurker, so I'm curious: do gaffers often request banning themselves?

The new game is pretty sweet. It is easier and has less content than the photography games, being made in a few weeks. But the game will tantalize you with beating it without using any items.

Comiket 86 news:

ZUN will attend. He has made no announcement at the moment, and we generally assume he will release another music CD.

Tasofro will not attend, meaning no HM expansion pack yet.

The third Fantasy Maiden Wars will be released at C86.

Evilisk

By the way congrats on this. What are your impressions so far? I haven't seen almost anything of it aside from the trailer which looked amazing.

It's pretty cool. It's a bit short but I like how you can make it as difficult as you want.

The only problem I have with the game is that the game definitely seems to have cards that are impossible without items (they aren't literally impossible but I've only seen other people beat it by using things like pause buffering).

At least the soundtrack is top notch. I loved all the tracks just from hearing them on the first go, which is good (though to be fair there's only like
five new
tracks lol)

microfolk

I'll just leave this here (EoSD stage 5 arrangement).
I'll make a nice post with all the beautiful stuff I've found in the last two weeks, the musical-side of the Touhou fandom sure is full of surprises, initially I was taken aback by the abundance of house arrangements and similar (I'm not really quite fond by that part of electronica so I don't know the exact genres) but digging around proved to be quite fruitful.

demidar

Well I managed to 1-cc EoSD (starting with 5 lives T_T) with Marisa B. Just beat Remilia by the skin of my teeth, no lives, no bombs. And I was in such a good spot going in too, with 4 lives and 1 bomb.

I've got PCB ordered and it should be here early next week. Damn import costs, I payed $80 for that game yet the weirdest thing is I'm still not sure if I regret spending that much (especially with the Summer Steam Sale starting so soon). While it's on the way, I'll try 1-cc'ing with Reimu at 3 lives.

Tested the Extra Stage, it's really goddamned hard. Got to the Flandre and saw she had 9 phases. 9 fucking phases. Fuck. That. Shit. I'll leave it until I finish some more Touhou games.

upandaway

Well I managed to 1-cc EoSD (starting with 5 lives T_T) with Marisa B. Just beat Remilia by the skin of my teeth, no lives, no bombs. And I was in such a good spot going in too, with 4 lives and 1 bomb.
This is the only way I'm aware of to 1cc a Touhou game. Do the entire thing perfectly, cheese the last boss. No other way.

How good did it feel to see that ending?

microfolk

STG Weekly made an episode about EoSD!
Still got to watch it but there is chumlum commenting so it must be good.
They've already covered UFO, IN, GFW and PoFV, and every single one of them is excellent, if you have some time to spare give them a shot!

Talking about the games I'm really really sad because I'm improving greatly my performance on the last stages of Touhou 6 (Sakuya is no longer a problem! I can capture Eternal Meek blindfolded! With a bit of luck I can also capture the majority of Remilia spellcards!!!) but I still keep losing at least one life against Cirno. Motherfuckin' Cirno.
I'm lucky that I've found this album made by the Minor=Minor circle, it's really the most impressive take on jazz 2hu I've listened so far, full of surprises and excellent arrangements, I'm really impressed.

demidar

Finally managed to beat EoSD on Normal starting with 3 lives with Marisa A. I had a ridiculously lucky run where I'd manage to survive those massive circles of fire like the ones prior to Sakuya through dumb luck. All of my deaths came from silly mistakes and complacency like dying to Emerald Megalith which I consider to be an easy spell card. Throughout the entirety of Remilia's battle, I only died once and it was to Scarlet Shoot because I ran out of bombs and I ran into an easy bullet. Remi's last spell card was where I thought I would die but I managed to get through without a scratch, which I can't quite believe myself. The endings are so enjoyable, even though they're made with bad art :p

I'm ready to take on the next game, goddamn where is it.

microfolk

Finally managed to beat EoSD on Normal starting with 3 lives with Marisa A. I had a ridiculously lucky run where I'd manage to survive those massive circles of fire like the ones prior to Sakuya through dumb luck. All of my deaths came from silly mistakes and complacency like dying to Emerald Megalith which I consider to be an easy spell card. Throughout the entirety of Remilia's battle, I only died once and it was to Scarlet Shoot because I ran out of bombs and I ran into an easy bullet. Remi's last spell card was where I thought I would die but I managed to get through without a scratch, which I can't quite believe myself. The endings are so enjoyable, even though they're made with bad art :p

I've just beaten the game too, 1cc on Normal with Reimu A! I think this is my first real 1cc on Normal off all the games even though I've been playing Touhous on and off for YEARS, I'm really really satisfied. Though my run was terrible I've pulled out a decent fight with Remilia and managed to beat her with 1 life to spare (and also I've got soooo close to 100m aaaagh).
Now I don't know what to do, I'll probably try to repeat the 1cc with other characters in the next few days but after that I'm not sure if it's better to move on PCB or IN (I'm really close to beat both of them with one credit in normal, it's just a matter of training the last few stages) or try playing Touhou 6 in hard? I don't really know if it would be too hard for me or if I'm ready for the next level of suffering, guess we'll see. :p

Evilisk

I've been playing through Fantastic Danmaku Festival recently. I like the playable Patchouli and the patterns are pretty impressive. At the same time though the game is incredibly easy (for Normal difficulty anyway), I don't think I've played for even 1 hour total and I'm already getting up to Stage 5 before I start to have any real problems... The music is okay though most of them are just remixes which is a bit disappointing. I also thought the colour/contrast wasn't that good, I know my eyes were getting sore when I first started playing it due to all of the red lol

Congrats on the 1cc, I still haven't beat EoSD yet myself :/

Ooooh I forgot to post about it Saturday but Zun is now a father! Congratulations!

And congrats to ZUN! Have they said if it's a boy or girl yet?

demidar

I've just beaten the game too, 1cc on Normal with Reimu A! I think this is my first real 1cc on Normal off all the games even though I've been playing Touhous on and off for YEARS, I'm really really satisfied. Though my run was terrible I've pulled out a decent fight with Remilia and managed to beat her with 1 life to spare (and also I've got soooo close to 100m aaaagh).
Now I don't know what to do, I'll probably try to repeat the 1cc with other characters in the next few days but after that I'm not sure if it's better to move on PCB or IN (I'm really close to beat both of them with one credit in normal, it's just a matter of training the last few stages) or try playing Touhou 6 in hard? I don't really know if it would be too hard for me or if I'm ready for the next level of suffering, guess we'll see. :p

I've managed to beat the game with the rest of the character types on 3 lives (except Reimu B which I did with 5 starting lives but I ended up finishing with 3 lives to spare so that kind of counts). Anyway while I'm waiting for PCB to come, which has probably gotten lost in the mail or the aether, I'll be either going through the game again on hard or trying to bash my head against the wall of the Extra stage.

Btw, my highest score for normal 1cc is about 100 million+ with Reimu A.

demidar

Perfect Cherry Blossom is really kicking my ass, it feels harder than EoSD. It seems like the bullets are both faster and more numerous, and shootback is fairly prominent now. Bosses feel like they have a lot more health and their danmaku is so much more elaborate it makes the previous games' patterns look simple by comparison.

The music has a different tone than EoSD, I think I like it less but it's still nice. I also think Alice's and Youmu's stage themes are superior to their boss themes. I haven't actually reached the end-end boss yet so i don't really have any thoughts on it now.

The Cherry scoring system is interesting. I think the game was made harder because of the defensive options of the Supernatural Border, with additional defense (from sacrificing score) from activating it to cancel bullets. You also seem to get a lot more lives now, with it being tied to point items and having no set cap on how many lives acquired this way (though there is a virtual one since point items are limited).

I'm still jumping around on characters. My favourite to use so far is Sakuya A because of her survivability (4 bombs) and aimed attacks, and she moves a lot faster than Reimu.

Jeez, the Prismriver Sisters really hurt. I think they're harder to beat than Youmu.

microfolk

Aw yessss
I've played PCB after a month passed playing EoSD intensively and I managed to get a 1cc run on my second try with Sakuya A! The first ended just before the last stage since I made hilarious mistakes and Reimu A feels severely underpowered I don't know if I was doing something wrong but the boss battles took FOREVER, and as demidar noted every single boss got a massive boost to their health compared to Touhou 6, it's not even funny how much time I needed to deplete life bars.

On the other hand Sakuya A feels like easy mode, it does tons of damage and having a bigger bomb stock means I finished the last spell card in the game spamming her bomb I'm a little bit ashamed about this. :p

Though I'm not sure I can agree with you demidar, the game definitely SEEMS harder than Touhou 6 but in fact I think it's just trickier. The patterns are more elaborated but also slower (I'm getting quite consistent with dealing with Prismriver Sisters but it requires an awful amount of micrododging, it's really fun) and once you understand how to deal with them I find them easier than the patterns in Touhou 6, which are much more random and unpredictable.
Yet the non-boss portion of stage 4 is BRUTAL holy shit I've got to practice that level a lot before hoping to make a no miss run there are too many bullets and you've got to stream all of them.

I still think EoSD OST is the strongest in the series but PCB is still top notch and offers the best stage 1 theme ever, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy every time.

demidar

Yeah, I've actually beaten the game twice on a single day, with Sakuya A and then Reimu B. It doesn't feel as hard as I thought now but I think it's still a tiny bit harder than EoSD. Yuyuko is harder than Remi because the patterns are a lot more elaborate while she has way more health so you can't just bomb your way through a spell card/non-spell (well you can, it'll just take 2-3 bombs).

The Prismriver Sisters I think I've gotten down, but there are times where I'm caught out because of those phantom bullets or I get a bit confused with bullet colours and just run straight into one

The Stage 1 theme is unusually good, I'll agree with that.

Yuyuko's final spell card (the time-out) was a lot more easier than I thought. It's super predictable and she constantly gives out cherry pickups and point items so it's possible to get a Supernatural Border or an extra life.

I think I'll actually take a run at the Extra stage in this game, I managed o defeat 2 lifebars on a single life so it looks like it's within my capabilities :lol

Anyway, should I get Phantasmagoria of Flower View? I ask because it's fairly unorthodox as an entry but it's also a mainline game.

upandaway

Definitely try out Flower View, it's light on new characters and music and stuff but what is there is still super fun and popular. And I always liked the Phantasmagorias' endings the most even if they're nigh impossible for me to get to.

demidar

Guess I'll get it then. I also plan on getting Shoot the Bullet, Double Spoiler, Great Fairy War and Impossible Spell Card as well, but not the fighting games.

cuc

@demidar I really appreciate reading your thoughts from playing the games.

PoFV was an encore, a way to say "thank you" to fans after the EoSD-PCB-IN trilogy was completed.

Getting PoFV's ending is... actually easier than the single player games. It's already quite doable on Normal. At the most extreme, you can set your lives to max, play on Easy, and keep continuing when you run out of lives, because there are no bad ending.

demidar

I've been getting pretty into Touhou, thanks to this thread actually. I've even read the translated versions of the first two artbooks from the wiki.

upandaway

@demidar I really appreciate reading your thoughts from playing the games.

PoFV was an encore, a way to say "thank you" to fans after the EoSD-PCB-IN trilogy was completed.

Getting PoFV's ending is... actually easier than the single player games. It's already quite doable on Normal. At the most extreme, you can set your lives to max, play on Easy, and keep continuing when you run out of lives, because there are no bad ending.
Oh whoa, I didn't realize that about Easy. But even normal it's really hard for me, it's a matter of concentrating until the computer decides to stop cheating. I guess it would be easy for people who are good at impulsive dodging then.

cuc

The key to playing PoFV is to minimize the amount of actual dodging you have to do by using L2 attacks as often as you can. L2 attacks are also strictly more cost-effective than L3 and L4. All of that has been explained in the STG Weekly video.

The only occasionally useful L3 is Reimu's, or so the experts say.

demidar

This thread's kinda dead eh?

Anyway IN and PoFV arrived today and I so want to start them, but I gotta finish Marisa's two shot types in PCB first. I was planning on doing this earlier and shooting down the extra stage, but real life stuff takes precedence :/

I've noticed how much I rely on bombs, given Marisa's two bomb stock, but that damage is great and she's blazing fast I often run into bullets even though I tilted for a split second.

It feels like Yuyuko actually gets easier the more health bars you chew through. The first non-spell I find the second hardest (not counting resurrection time-out phase), with the hardest being the one where you have those phantasm bullets chasing you and exploding-imploding. Not counting those two phases, everything else is fairly manageable, and I really appreciate the fan hitbox so I can concentrate on dodging.

I also find Marisa's Prismriver fight to be very hard compared to the other characters' Prismriver fight. Ugh, those lasers, that Hino Phantasm too strong :/

upandaway

I won't be able to play or do anything Touhou for the rest of the month, even if there was a challenge, but keep posting your impressions, it's fun to read.

Top Bottom