• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Community Thread | Highly Responsive to Posts

TheChaos0

I can't remember whether the upcoming action RPG Touhou Koukishin (or its predecessor starring Youmu) has been brought up in this thread. But here's a new trailer announcing playable Sakuya:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k96wn_xTb0

The earlier Remilia trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhNRtjcRX8s

Meanwhile, it is now known that while ZUN will attend Comiket 86, he won't be releasing any new Touhou CD or game this time.

That looks great. Getting some Ys vibes from it.

upandaway

Anyone know if there's a translation in progress for Touhou 14.3?
You can see the progress for mainline Touhou stuff here.

Direct link to 14.3 E
This page is a translated version of a page Th143/Dialog and the translation is 98% complete.

Kind of related, but the Center Patch for the PC98 games should be finally coming soon. They're putting a lot of effort into it, so it'll be really cool.

edit: been listening to this album, it's really good

demidar

Hahahahahaha what the heck

And it sounds so good too geez

There, there. It just means you're getting better! (betterthanievermumblemumble)

The power of youth I suppose, but it's not as hard as I thought. I'm having waaaaay more trouble getting through the story on hard, though I have reached Kanako's last spell card as well which is a big improvement over being stuck at Aya. I just gotta loosen up on using bombs.

I've always wondered which fanbase is the most creative
rabid
, Touhou fans or Miku fans. The creative output is insane for both.

shockdude

I've always wondered which fanbase is the most creative
rabid
, Touhou fans or Miku fans. The creative output is insane for both.
Touhou, no question. While Vocaloid has the corporate support to make live CGI concerts, Touhou fans make their own CGI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Zwrx9a9Lo

I should play more Touhou. I'm at a level where I could complete the Extras of MoF and later, and maybe pull off a couple more Hard 1CCs, but I've been too lazy and/or been playing other games.

Edit: I really should play more Touhou.

Spontaneously figured out how to capture Moriya's Iron Ring and then flailed around until I died at Froggy Braves the Elements.

demidar

I forget that Miku has corporate backing. That knocks out consideration for its rhythm games as well as its concerts.

If you find a way to beat "Frog is Eaten by Snake due to the Croak", I'm all ears. I can only get past by bombing incessantly because I don't know how to avoid it.

shockdude

If you find a way to beat "Frog is Eaten by Snake due to the Croak", I'm all ears. I can only get past by bombing incessantly because I don't know how to avoid it.
Start at the bottom. When the spiral appears, wait for the innermost bullet clusters to explode, then quickly cross through the clusters into the center, then around Suwako (the side you should take depends on the direction of the spiral), and then on Suwako's head. Then slowly navigate to the outer edges of the screen until the new spiral appears, then get to the bottom and repeat.

Why am I now dying to Long Arm & Long Leg...

demidar

Start at the bottom. When the spiral appears, wait for the innermost bullet clusters to explode, then quickly cross through the clusters into the center, then around Suwako (the side you should take depends on the direction of the spiral), and then on Suwako's head. Then slowly navigate to the outer edges of the screen until the new spiral appears, then get to the bottom and repeat.

Why am I now dying to Long Arm & Long Leg...

Oh I see. I thought the trick would be to follow the exploding trail. I will try that when I take another run at Suwako.

Long Arm and Log Leg makes my blood pressure spike. Being that close to bullets sends massive alarms sounding in my head.

Huh, I wasn't aware this thread existed. I'm gonna stick around some more.

Touhou Patch Center just released their English Patch for all the PC-98 games. Here is the trailer.

I am not quite sure of what is happening within their team, since it seems the leader of the project went ahead and distributed the pack without everybody's consent, but the patch is up in the description of the trailer, so enjoy, I guess.

shockdude

Beat TH10 Extra. On top of that, I somehow captured Suwako's last spell card on my first try.
The general pattern used in that spellcard (
criss-crossing bullets
) has always been stressful for me in all the games where it's used, and then Suwako takes it and amps it up to frightening levels. That was fun.

Evilisk

Currently trying out TH7.5 but I'm having problems with the controls

What are the buttons exactly? I keep pressing everything but nothing happens, only the arrow keys seem to work

Evilisk

Doesn't it use the numpad?

I've never played TH7.5 so idk, I just know that nothing I'm pressing is working except for moving up and down on the menu

EDIT: Alright nvm I just checked and it seems the buttons are F1 to F4, it seems to be working now

demidar

I've never played TH7.5 so idk, I just know that nothing I'm pressing is working except for moving up and down on the menu

EDIT: Alright nvm I just checked and it seems the buttons are F1 to F4, it seems to be working now

Weird, shouldn't it be bound to Z, X, C, V? Pressing F4 seems dangerous.

Evilisk

Weird, shouldn't it be bound to Z, X, C, V? Pressing F4 seems dangerous.

Yeah I know lol, that's exactly why I never thought about any of the F buttons when I was trying everything on my keyboard

Anyway, now I've just got to figure out how to play this game

cuc

What was that? You are talking about TH7.5 Shoot the Bullet? I've never heard of there being even a problem before. Is there a source about this F1-F4 thing?

Evilisk

What was that? You are talking about TH7.5 Shoot the Bullet? I've never heard of there being even a problem before. Is there a source about this F1-F4 thing?

I'm talking about Immaterial and Missing Power

For some reason the four attack buttons were mapped to F1 to F4, instead of Z to V when I first started the game. It's not really a problem now since I changed it back but yeah

Anyway the game has been sort of fun so far. I haven't really been able to wrap my head around the game system (like sometimes I'll just be attacking and then when I use the attack buttons I get a projectile attack for some reason?) and the whole "infinite spellcard spam by enemies during Story Mode" is a lot more annoying to deal with than in HM.

I also don't really like the music as much. Maybe it's because it's remixing tracks that were already really good but that's how I feel about it. The sprites are pretty good though.

Also since I'm posting about fighting games and Touhou, I thought this might be a good time to post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qcjCnkbROY

Evilisk

Some more impressions:
I can't deal with these stupid spell card phases in Story Mode. I mean I was okay with them in HM because you actually get some space to dodge them if you want. Here though? You can only block and eat a lot of chip damage and, because of the spirit mechanic, you probably won't even fire back at them afterwards. As a result, it's both frustrating and boring as hell to go through Story Mode.

As for the rest of the game, the sprite work and the way the characters themselves play are all really great. Everything else is just kind of okay like the music and the stages (except for the SDM stages, which I really like). I'm not really sure whether there's online for this, even if there was I still wouldn't feel confident in playing it if only because of my slow internet connection (and there's of course the fact I just picked up this game recently and still have to get comfortable with the mechanics of the game).

Tbqh I only really want to play as Suika, and apparently she's a default character in SWR. So I think I'm just going to move on to the next game for now. I might come back to this game and finish the story eventually but I'd probably only come back to this just to play around in the Vs. matches.

demidar

All I know is that they mangled Sakuya's theme, it doesn't sound nearly as oppressive and stifling as the EoSD rendition.

Zweizer

Banned
As for the rest of the game, the sprite work and the way the characters themselves play are all really great. Everything else is just kind of okay like the music and the stages (except for the SDM stages, which I really like). I'm not really sure whether there's online for this, even if there was I still wouldn't feel confident in playing it if only because of my slow internet connection (and there's of course the fact I just picked up this game recently and still have to get comfortable with the mechanics of the game).

There's online for most of the multiplayer games (7.5, 9, 10.5, 12.3, 13.5, etc.) but yeah, you'd better have a steady connection and, if you want to host matches, port forward your modem. Most online plays seem to be focused on 9 and 12.3 however.

As for the level of play, it really depends on the community but it should be fine if you ask a member of this OT to play against you.

Evilisk

Anyway, some impressions of SWR so far.

First off, I like the changes that have been made to the gameplay here. The annoying distance based normals are gone (I like idea of them, but it's hard to keep track of it/it's too easy to waste spirit by accident because of that) though I don't like how spellcards are used here. I also really, really don't like the weather stuff as I expected to.

I still really, really hate these spellcard phases in Story Mode (especially Aya's, seriously wtf at triple tornado) but at least it's more bearable (in IaMP if you ran out of spirit, you had to wait for it to completely refill before you could use any projectile attack, that's thankfully changed). And I did like that Tenshi is able to change the stage during her battle (though I still hate these phases in general, especially you Tenshi and your stupid lasers/rocks/laser rocks >:| )

On the positive side, I just wanted to say that Aya is amazing. I mean, she is so, so much fun to play as and that wind orb move (the one where she sits down/also lets you do another jump) is just so boss. Reisen is also actually pretty cool (I don't really like her as a character tbh) and the way her lunatic eyes have been implemented is great.

There's online for most of the multiplayer games (7.5, 9, 10.5, 12.3, 13.5, etc.) but yeah, you'd better have a steady connection and, if you want to host matches, port forward your modem. Most online plays seem to be focused on 9 and 12.3 however.

As for the level of play, it really depends on the community but it should be fine if you ask a member of this OT to play against you.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind. After finding out how much fun this game is to play, I really hope my internet is able to handle it now :/

Evilisk

Okay, what the hell is this. I finally got to Tenshi's last phase and wtf is this homing master spark. She just literally used that homing laser through all three/four of my lives and I couldn't even do anything. All I could do was guard (and get lots of chip damage) -> get guard broken -> die by laser -> get hit by laser as soon as I start my new life -> back to guarding -> repeat

And then I've got to do the whole Tenshi fight again if I continue? Haha yeah, no >:/ This is stupid as hell. I have to find out find if there's a save file that has all the characters unlocked, because I'm not going through with this for all the characters in Story Mode.

shockdude

Trying another EoSD Hard 1CC w/ MarisaA.
Enter Stage 6 w/ 5 lives. Captured Eternal Meek, then started dying to dumb things and wasted all the lives by the bat nonspell.
Retry Stage 6 in stage practice. Proceed to nearly perfect the stage, including a first-time capture of Thousand Needle Mountain, dying once at the bat nonspell and bombing Scarlet Meister twice.

whoops.

cuc

Okay, what the hell is this. I finally got to Tenshi's last phase and wtf is this homing master spark. She just literally used that homing laser through all three/four of my lives and I couldn't even do anything. All I could do was guard (and get lots of chip damage) -> get guard broken -> die by laser -> get hit by laser as soon as I start my new life -> back to guarding -> repeat

And then I've got to do the whole Tenshi fight again if I continue? Haha yeah, no >:/ This is stupid as hell. I have to find out find if there's a save file that has all the characters unlocked, because I'm not going through with this for all the characters in Story Mode.

That "huge laser" is grazeable. I think you can also dodge to the other side when it fires, because its direction is clearly telegraphed? I honestly don't remember much about it. As long as you remember to graze, it's not hard by any means.

The rules in the Touhou fighting games are highly consistent in that all projectiles can be grazed, and only melee attacks can't be grazed (since the attacker is not danmaku, but the opponent herself).

The main difference lies in that different projectiles have different friction values against grazing. Grazing against projectiles with high friction will slow you down more and deplete more of your spirit meter.

Evilisk

That "huge laser" is grazeable. I think you can also dodge to the other side when it fires, because its direction is clearly telegraphed? I honestly don't remember much about it. As long as you remember to graze, it's not hard by any means.

The rules in the Touhou fighting games are highly consistent in that all projectiles can be grazed, and only melee attacks can't be grazed (since the attacker is not danmaku, but the opponent herself).

The main difference lies in that different projectiles have different friction values against grazing. Grazing against projectiles with high friction will slow you down more and deplete more of your spirit meter.

I know it's grazeable. The problem was that the laser was firing nonstop. As in, even when I lost a life and the opponent normally stops attacking, it was still firing directly at my position. I was even getting hit out of my new life (I'm 100% sure of this because I had four tries to try and get out of it... and if I didn't block as soon as I got up, I just go hit straight away) and that happened all the way until all I lost all my lives.

Evilisk

From the Comiket thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlKyObPdtkc
The first 15 minutes or so are Touhou games.

Quick rundown of them:
--There's that Touhou YS clone we talked about a while back, Touhou Koukishin
--A top-down 4 player vs. shooter/party game (this actually looks sort of fun)
--A sequel to the Sanae Challenge! and Sanae Challenge! FUSION games
--A 2d shooter/platformer with the 3 witches (Marisa, Alice, Patchy), I think it's a Mystical Chain sequel
--A 3D Battle Arena game (I think it's a sequel to another game). Miko is playable (heck yes)
--A Sekibanki Platformer
--A Tower Defense game
--A strategy game of some kind(?) I can't tell what's happening tbh
--I think it's a Visual Novel of some sort?
--Also later on in the video, there is what seems to be a Marisa and Alice's Trap Tower sequel (it's not grouped with the other Touhou games for some reason)

demidar

Suddenly, big news.

Playism has announced the Japanese download release of Touhou 14, starting from August 13, and priced at JPY 1512 (tax included)

The site (being hammered right now, you probably can't open it):
http://www.playism.jp/games/th14/

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxeUQuCNxnI

The international digital download of Touhou games won't be too far away.

Damn that's a pretty big get for Playism. Also at least these games won't be lost to the ages being uploaded to a server somewhere now.

Zweizer

Banned
I personally hope ZUN will one day remaster the PC-98 games. Or bring some more characters from that era back, especially Mima.

I can dream.

shockdude

Playing Concealed the Conclusion on Hard. Final spell card of the game, 1 life 1 bomb.
Successful bomb, need to survive for 8 more seconds.
Boss begins exploding. 2 more seconds.

Died at the very last frame of the boss explosion animation.

Seriously though Concealed the Conclusion is amazing; it probably has the best presentation of all the Touhou danmaku fangames. When coupled with an English patch, I would consider it an absolute must-play for anyone familiar with Touhou 6-9. Even if you know the plot, even if you've listened to the OST and seen videos of the boss fights, you won't truly experience CtC until you play it first-hand.

Zweizer

Banned
It's sad that there doesn't seem to be much interest in translating Touhou fangames anymore. FMW2 translation project is dead so I doubt FMW3 will get any attention soon. Mugen Nise Sato ~ First Disaster (that Touhou Valkyrie Profile game) doesn't seem to have anyone working on it either.

At this point it's just better to suck it up and learn Japanese.

Top Bottom