• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Community Thread | Highly Responsive to Posts

shockdude

Decided to try IaMP on a whim. The only other fighting game experience I have is with SSBM (decent) and Tekken Tag 2 (mediocre), and obviously IaMP is a completely different beast.
Man this game is hard, even on Normal. Reminds me of playing Touhou 6 for the first time, when my experience with shmups at the time was near zero.
I think I'm picking up the game relatively quickly though; after a couple playthoughs and a lot of wiki reading, I did a 2CC normal clear with Marisa, where the continue was on Stage 5. Still need more experience, as the continue meant I never faced Stages 6 & 7.

upandaway

Reading Miko Miko Suika and I didn't know what Youkan is so I looked it up. Don't see the hype.

Exciting times regarding the doujin scene, hopefully that helps the western side develop.

cuc

Reading Miko Miko Suika and I didn't know what Youkan is so I looked it up. Don't see the hype.
You mean the dessert? That's good stuff. Very fine and smooth.

When it comes to doujin manga, my favorite author is Musha Prune. Unfortunately it seems only two works of his have ever been translated: "PAN;1" about Utsuho, and "Yueni Koyoi wa Me o Tsumuru" about Sakuya.

demidar

Exciting times regarding the doujin scene, hopefully that helps the western side develop.

Just looked that up on the Wikipedias. It's aesthetically pleasing and it sounds delicious.

Evilisk

Just found out about this, but it seems someone's working on a Touhou Smash-style game.

Title is Touhou Super Smash Battle (TSSB). Confirmed characters so far are Tenshi and Sakuya. And interestingly enough it's a western dev that's making this.

I'm interested in seeing if they will follow this through to the end (though their constant updates have made me pretty optimistic ).

ibyea

Banned
Just found out about this, but it seems someone's working on a Touhou Smash-style game.

Title is Touhou Super Smash Battle (TSSB). Confirmed characters so far are Tenshi and Sakuya. And interestingly enough it's a western dev that's making this.

I'm interested in seeing if they will follow this through to the end (though their constant updates have made me pretty optimistic ).

Simply amazing. Touhou fans are the most dedicated fans in the universe!

Zweizer

Banned
That fan game does indeed look promising. Out of curiosity, what other fan games have been made by the Western fanbase?

Mainly Pokemon (and other such games) mods and Danmafuku scripts. There's I wanna be the shrine maiden and some Visual Novels as well.

microfolk

8xwdk5d.png

EYE
AM
THE
STRONGEST

After ~10 days of playing PCB more or less intensely I've managed to beat both Extra and Phantasm Stage! It was far easier than I've ever feared, it was just a matter of memorizing the stage and learning the spellcards' tricks. The fact that the entirety of Phantasm with the exception of a couple of Yukari's spellcards is just a powered up version of Extra was quite helpful. And thanks to Sakuya B's bombs I was able to skip Yukari's last spellcard in its entirety ahaha.
Now I'll try to obtain a Phantasm's clear of which I'll be able to be proud of and an Hard 1cc, it's just a matter of stopping losing too many lives against Alice and learning how to deal with Youmu, I can do it.

microfolk

Wow congrats. That must have felt good.

Did you save a replay you can upload?

Yeah I tend to save a replay of every clear I get but my Phantasm Clear is really ugly and messy I don't know if I want to share it ahaha. I'll try to get a nicer run and then maybe I'll upload it on replays.gensokyo!

Nice job Skingheart. Good luck on your Hard 1-cc, it's harder than an extra stage imo.

Yesterday I've managed to reach the Yuyuko's third nonspell playing like a drunken monkey (if I remember correctly I lost 1 life to Chen, 3 or 4 lives to Alice and tons against Youmu), I think I could definitvely do it. :p I've played the 4th stage so much I can do it without losing a single life (I just have to bomb Merlin opening non-spell like there is no tomorrow, that attack might be the hardest one in the entire game) and Yuyuko is really really easy for me (and really fun too!). I just have to concentrate against Alice and learn how to deal with Youmu (or maybe just bomb every single attack I don't know).

It's definitely harder than the extra stage because I've got to stay focused for 30 minutes against the 15 of the extra\phantasm, yeah. Though I still feel like Subterranean Animism 1cc on Normal was harder than both of these, that game is downright brutal and there are far too few resources ugh.

demidar

I think for the majority of the minority of people who clear extra stages, the play is almost always gonna be messy. A messy fight in this case is still a super high achievement. You should post the replay of it.

As to Alice, I've only played it on Normal but there's only one spell card I have trouble with and I think it's called Foggy London Dolls?

microfolk

I think for the majority of the minority of people who clear extra stages, the play is almost always gonna be messy. A messy fight in this case is still a super high achievement. You should post the replay of it.

As to Alice, I've only played it on Normal but there's only one spell card I have trouble with and I think it's called Foggy London Dolls?

Ah, but I think I could achieve a far better result, Yukari is a really fun fight and I think I would be able to make a decent run one of these days. :p
Nonetheless here is the replay.
And here is another replay where i clear Phantasm Stage with Reimu B. The stage part is pretty bad while the Yukari's fight is far better than my first one I think, except for some stupid mistake which I could have totally avoided. I break a border in the beginning of Boundary of Life and Death but then proceeded to do it without dying or bombing, I'm quite pleased of that. I still bomb Danmaku Barrier to death because it was my second time against it and I didn't care to learn how to deal with it.

After this I tried another hard run just to see how fare I could get...
And I finished the game! The run is hilariously bad, I lose a life both in stage 2 and 3, two lives (I think) in stage 4 and then Youmu completely destroy me because I'm stupid and weak. The Yuyuko's fight too was full of stupid deaths but the game throws so many extends at you it's not even funny. I also managed to complete Resurrection Butterfly dodging like two or three times ahahaha.

demidar

Cool, I'll watch them when I get time. I just copy the replay files into the replay folder (and rename them maybe) right?

microfolk

Cool, I'll watch them when I get time. I just copy the replay files into the replay folder (and rename them maybe) right?

Yep. As I stated they are really bad runs don't expect anything from them ahaha.
And you could upload your runs too, it's always nice to see other people's plays.

demidar

Yep. As I stated they are really bad runs don't expect anything from them ahaha.
And you could upload your runs too, it's always nice to see other people's plays.

I think you're being too modest!

Anyway, I'll get to it maybe tomorrow, I've got to hit the sack.

microfolk

I've finally managed to clear DDC on Normal with Reimu A but I didn't really enjoy it very much.
Long story short I love the first four stages and absolutely despise the last two, but it's really more complicated than that and I feel like 3/4 of my apathy stems from me not really knowing how to manage the last boss, the game is quite good.

What is not really good is the character balance, as illustrated in this Sakuya A 1cc which I pulled of right after clearing the game for the first time.
Look at midboss Seija's in the sixth stage. The slow-down effect triggered by her focused shot is ridicolous. So is her bomb.

(since replays.gensokyo still doesn't support DCC you've got to rename the .rpy file to th14_xxx.rpy and then put it into your replay folder)

upandaway

Been trying to get replays to work so I can watch those but it's just ignored. I got them working tons of time before. So weird. I've actually been having a couple of weird problems lately, can't wait for western releases.

And yeah Sakuya A is amazing there (as she should be i didn't say anything)

microfolk

Been trying to get replays to work so I can watch those but it's just ignored. I got them working tons of time before. So weird. I've actually been having a couple of weird problems lately, can't wait for western releases.

And yeah Sakuya A is amazing there (as she should be i didn't say anything)

Weird problems like what? This reminds me that while grinding the first stage when I was aiming for a SA 1cc (and I died during the first stage a lot, I think I've played that stage at least 200 times) the game glitched pretty badly and the result was quite spectacular. One of these days I'll upload the videos I made on youtube, I already posted it on tumblr but their video player is awful.

And yeah, on one hand I like Sakuya's OPness too since I like her really much, but I'd prefer something more akin to PCB where Sakuya A is really easy to use and a good character for beginners (more so than Reimu A!) and Sakuya B is a beast that needs to be tamed to unleash here true potential.

In DCC we have Sakuya A who's simply broken since her focused shot slow down enemy bullets so it trivializes some of the most difficult attack in the game and Sakuya B who's ridicolously underpowered but has the greatest scoring potential by far, thus rendering here completely useless for anybody who's not trying to score.

But the truth is I want ZUN to make Youmu appear more in the future Touhous since she's the best girl and her shottypes are always the most fun in the games they appear in. :p

demidar

I get the feeling Sakuya is always overpowered in the games where she appears...

I wish Marisa was overpowered.

Well she does have that 3 laser glitch in MoF.

I would also like to see more Youmu, because a sword-user in a shmup is hilarious.

Evilisk

I wish Marisa was overpowered.

Well she does have that 3 laser glitch in MoF.

I would also like to see more Youmu, because a sword-user in a shmup is hilarious.

Well, there is the Malice Cannon in IN and I heard one of Marisa's shot types in DDC is pretty good too

And I'd also like more Youmu if only because she brings some fun shot types to the table (learning how to use her shot type properly is pretty fun in IN)

I get the feeling Sakuya is always overpowered in the games where she appears...

I think this is relevant

demidar

Well, there is the Malice Cannon in IN and I heard one of Marisa's shot types in DDC is pretty good too

And I'd also like more Youmu if only because she brings some fun shot types to the table (learning how to use her shot type properly is pretty fun in IN)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Youmu was so good in IN, she wrecked everything (and Yuyuko wasn't bad either).

Remi got utterly stomped.

microfolk

DDC SakuyaA is even more broken than you think. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to_EGwaWcEU

Summary: The closer you are to the boss, the faster the knives detonate. Moreover, you can "restock" your knives by toggling focus. Combine the two and you gain the power to blast through spellcards in under ten seconds.

Maybe I'm thinking about somebody else but I remember reading on MoTK that thplayer stopped playing the series some time ago?
Not that I'm complaining, their videos are fantastic and this one too is highly amusing and useful as always. I don't even know if I'm against such unbalanced shot types when you can do things like these.

Well in IN she has the worst human shot type by far. :p I've never played solo teams with anyone but Youmu but I think that only Alice is worse than Sakuya? But Alice is really really reeeeeeeeally bad in that game so it's not really comforting for the poor maid.
Also I remember having read somewhere that Sakuya is bottom tier in PoFV but I can't comment on this since my experience with the game is barely existent, though I can say that confronting her in the sixth stage is never fun.

Marisa A is fun to use but overall worse than both Reimu A and Sakuya A. The Dark Master Spark is amazing though.
Marisa B has one of the most broken bomb in the history of Touhou. I'd post some videos but I can't find anything that shows how much you can abuse it, I'll search for them later maybe.

Zweizer

Banned

Yep, this is completely true from my experience playing Hisoutensoku.

Well in IN she has the worst human shot type by far. :p I've never played solo teams with anyone but Youmu but I think that only Alice is worse than Sakuya? But Alice is really really reeeeeeeeally bad in that game so it's not really comforting for the poor maid.
Also I remember having read somewhere that Sakuya is bottom tier in PoFV but I can't comment on this since my experience with the game is barely existent, though I can say that confronting her in the sixth stage is never fun.

She's not the best character in both IN and PoFV but she's actually pretty good if you know how to use her (in PoFV in particular she can really mess you up if you can set-up well), but you have a point in that she's not overpowered in every game she appears.

shockdude

Maybe I'm thinking about somebody else but I remember reading on MoTK that thplayer stopped playing the series some time ago?
Not that I'm complaining, their videos are fantastic and this one too is highly amusing and useful as always. I don't even know if I'm against such unbalanced shot types when you can do things like these.

thplayer's last uploaded video is 2 weeks ago. Whether or not he's still playing, he is certainly still documenting crazy Touhou tricks and glitches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7fX9z4rH0o

Marisa B has one of the most broken bomb in the history of Touhou. I'd post some videos but I can't find anything that shows how much you can abuse it, I'll search for them later maybe.
This should do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s1DR6LQlm4

upandaway

Weird problems like what? This reminds me that while grinding the first stage when I was aiming for a SA 1cc (and I died during the first stage a lot, I think I've played that stage at least 200 times) the game glitched pretty badly and the result was quite spectacular. One of these days I'll upload the videos I made on youtube, I already posted it on tumblr but their video player is awful.

And yeah, on one hand I like Sakuya's OPness too since I like her really much, but I'd prefer something more akin to PCB where Sakuya A is really easy to use and a good character for beginners (more so than Reimu A!) and Sakuya B is a beast that needs to be tamed to unleash here true potential.

In DCC we have Sakuya A who's simply broken since her focused shot slow down enemy bullets so it trivializes some of the most difficult attack in the game and Sakuya B who's ridicolously underpowered but has the greatest scoring potential by far, thus rendering here completely useless for anybody who's not trying to score.

But the truth is I want ZUN to make Youmu appear more in the future Touhous since she's the best girl and her shottypes are always the most fun in the games they appear in. :p
Stuff like the outside border flashing after a bomb or controls getting stuck, they don't happen often at all so it's fine, but when they do it just freaks me out.

Never played well with Youmu but yeah it's nice to have someone unique to such an extreme. I always had this idea of a Youmu that plays like Reimu in HRtP, including a ball, with her sword replacing the stick thing.

To be honest that stands more as a testament to his skill than how overpowered the bomb is!
But man I always thought the spell cards in that stage look so neat. Looks fun (given you can shoot).

demidar

I've been working on Kanako's final spell card on hard and I don't think I can do this. I went into that phase with 3 lives and I still got wrecked, I only managed to take her down to about 1/3 health. After 20 or so seconds the waves just get too much, the speed is unmanageable coupled with the one wave (usually it's the red one) covering the opening of the other two waves, meaning I have to spend a bomb to not die (and consequently making the fight impossible due to reducing my shot power). I notice that there's a larger than average gap between the shots in this particular wave but fitting in there while pulsing my dodging is damn hard.

Short of strolling in there with 4+ lives, it seems impossible. Anyone got any tips?

Evilisk

I got bored and found out you can customize the portraits in Labyrinth of Touhou so decided to try it out

(Picture replacements are PC98 Reimu and Marisa for Reimu and Marisa, Orange for Meiling and Rikako for Patchouli. Really wanted to do Yumeko for Sakuya but I couldn't find the right picture for her :/)

It turned out okay for a rush job, well except for the Battle Portraits (lol I forgot about the HP and SP being at the bottom)

demidar

I've finally beat MoF Hard 1-cc with Reimu A. It really did come down to a numbers game, went in with 4 lives and just used bombs constantly to avoid super-narrow dodges. Ended up with 1 life left in reserve. 3 more shot types left, this is gonna be tough with Marisa's trickier shot types.

Apologies if this isnt the right place for asking, but I just wanna ask, where exactly in Tokyo can I buy Touhou doujinshi that was released before C86? I just checked the Toranoana near Namba Station in Osaka and it seems that they only stock C86 stuff and a few Reitaisai 11 stuff. Specifically I'm looking for a copy of Utsutsu no Yume from C81. Would Mandarake in Akibahara be a good place?

Also, where can I find a copy of Perfect Momento in Strict Sense?

Thanks.

cuc

Utsutsu no Yume and other works by the author are apparently sold exclusively at Melonbooks. Site: link. This current version is a reprint of the entire novel.

Melonbooks should also have the official Touhou books in stock.

microfolk

She's not the best character in both IN and PoFV but she's actually pretty good if you know how to use her (in PoFV in particular she can really mess you up if you can set-up well), but you have a point in that she's not overpowered in every game she appears.

As I stated I know very little about PoFV, and little more about soloing IN, so that's good to hear. I apologize for my tone in my previous reply, I don't really want to sound arrogant or anything. :p

thplayer's last uploaded video is 2 weeks ago. Whether or not he's still playing, he is certainly still documenting crazy Touhou tricks and glitches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7fX9z4rH0o

This should do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s1DR6LQlm4

Everybody should spend some quality time watching thplayer videos, they are easily one of the best player in the western community.

And I was searching for something more concise but yeah, that Extra clear is absolutely amazing, too bad that it was made with the 1.00b patch, if I'm not mistaken in the original version of the game Marisa's bomb spawned power items even during spellcards thus increasing its brokenness.

I've finally beat MoF Hard 1-cc with Reimu A. It really did come down to a numbers game, went in with 4 lives and just used bombs constantly to avoid super-narrow dodges. Ended up with 1 life left in reserve. 3 more shot types left, this is gonna be tough with Marisa's trickier shot types.

Congratulations! Care to share your replay?
I think I'll tackle MoF after consolidating my IN clear, I've been playing that game for years but the last half of the game is still filled with stupid mistakes and I want this to change, I'm not satisfied with a Normal Clear which is 90% based on lucky dodges and abusing Ran.

demidar

Congratulations! Care to share your replay?
I think I'll tackle MoF after consolidating my IN clear, I've been playing that game for years but the last half of the game is still filled with stupid mistakes and I want this to change, I'm not satisfied with a Normal Clear which is 90% based on lucky dodges and abusing Ran.

Thanks! Here's the link.

I watched your PCB Extra stage clears and it gave me heart palpitations when you just zoom through a mess of bullets while on low lives.

Zweizer

Banned
As I stated I know very little about PoFV, and little more about soloing IN, so that's good to hear. I apologize for my tone in my previous reply, I don't really want to sound arrogant or anything. :p

No problem since as I've stated you did bring out good counterexamples in how Sakuya isn't always overpowered and, uh, I didn't find your tone arrogant or anything, so I'm not sure why you're apologizing. You're making me feel bad you know~

On another note, anyone knows what's going on with Return of Touhou Mother? It seems like it's been years without any news about it.

upandaway

No problem since as I've stated you did bring out good counterexamples in how Sakuya isn't always overpowered and, uh, I didn't find your tone arrogant or anything, so I'm not sure why you're apologizing. You're making me feel bad you know~

On another note, anyone knows what's going on with Return of Touhou Mother? It seems like it's been years without any news about it.
Nothing since the chapter 5 beta.

vgperson said:
ATTENTION: This game is not dead until S-tele says so.

(it's probably dead)

Listonosh

Aside from the character model they are using is from Touhou, no.

Ah ok, that's pretty much what I meant. I wasn't sure what those characters were, and when I googled Touhou, all I kept getting were bullet hell screenshots, so I was utterly confused.

Zweizer

Banned
Ah ok, that's pretty much what I meant. I wasn't sure what those characters were, and when I googled Touhou, all I kept getting were bullet hell screenshots, so I was utterly confused.

Yeah, well, the games, which are the main thing we discuss here, are bullet hell games.

But there are a plethora of other (fan) games that cover any genre if bullet hells aren't your thing.

Or you could always be in there for other fanworks (doujinshis, music, videos, etc.). Touhou has probably the biggest amount of fanworks after all.

HGH

Banned
Nothing since the chapter 5 beta.

(it's probably dead)

Yeah, that's what I've feared.

I'm still holding out hope that we'll get some news about it though.

Last I checked there was a new video back in the middle of May? Japanese video on Niconico that is. And before that the last video was in August 2013, meaning it took almost 9 months to update. So yeah, I think this thing is still going.

EDIT: Ah jeez, did I take so long writing this that it got preemptively answered? Ah well.
I got bored and found out you can customize the portraits in Labyrinth of Touhou so decided to try it out
Man, for a second I thought that was the sequel. Not that the sequel has bad art in any way, but customization is fun. I never realized how similar the menus were despite how improved LoT2 is. Speaking of which it's fully translated and I personally think it's far more interesting if that matters.

Zweizer

Banned
S-Tele uploaded another part of Return of Touhou Mother on Niconico around May, so I'd say it's not quite dead yet.

EDIT : Here it is.

Oh that's pretty reassuring to know. Well, S-Tele can take their time if it means we get a good game out of it.

Anyone has an idea of how long it took for Touhou Mother to be completed?

Top Bottom