• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Community Thread | Highly Responsive to Posts

shockdude

Ah ok, that's pretty much what I meant. I wasn't sure what those characters were, and when I googled Touhou, all I kept getting were bullet hell screenshots, so I was utterly confused.

Yeah it all started with the bullet hell games, and then the series got super popular.
And then Japanese fans created 3D models of the characters for use with this dance animation software called MMD - as you noticed.
And then people became super good with using MMD and closed the circle by using it to recreate bullet hell sequences from the games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ROf8ZOA1Y

I've finally beat MoF Hard 1-cc with Reimu A. It really did come down to a numbers game, went in with 4 lives and just used bombs constantly to avoid super-narrow dodges. Ended up with 1 life left in reserve. 3 more shot types left, this is gonna be tough with Marisa's trickier shot types.

Bleh, I need to play more Touhou. Haven't bothered to learn MoF stage 4 on higher difficulties, so I got wrecked by the walling fairies and everything else.

demidar

Feels like Kancolle is a good contender for biggest fan output. Didn't the number of circles working on that series recently eclipse Touhou at Comiket?

Well, at least they still haven't got their own convention, I think.

Bleh, I need to play more Touhou. Haven't bothered to learn MoF stage 4 on higher difficulties, so I got wrecked by the walling fairies and everything else.

I can't deal with them either, at least without losing lives or bombing.

Feels like Kancolle is a good contender for biggest fan output. Didn't the number of circles working on that series recently eclipse Touhou at Comiket?

Well, at least they still haven't got their own convention, I think.

I believe they do. Though it appears that they have it more often than Reitaisai (I think there's 6 of them already for this year alone).

Utsutsu no Yume and other works by the author are apparently sold exclusively at Melonbooks. Site: link. This current version is a reprint of the entire novel.

Melonbooks should also have the official Touhou books in stock.

Thanks! By the way, is it still possible to buy doujinshi no longer listed on Melonbooks's site? Such as this

http://nameya.s269.xrea.com/princess_wriggle/main.html
?

upandaway

I think I remember that ended up being a mistake or something?

Googling now:
C86
Touhou: 1910+ circles
KanColle: 1498+ circles

Imouto

Banned
I think I remember that ended up being a mistake or something?

Googling now:
C86
Touhou: 1910+ circles
KanColle: 1498+ circles

Part of Touhou's circles have also moved to Reitaisai. The other thing is the slow update of Touhou's news/info after ZUN's marriage, so the number of circles appeared in Comiket does look like it's Kancolle heavy.

Also, cosplayers currently in love with Kancolle, so it gives an illusion that Kancolle has overtook Touhou as lord of Comiket.

demidar

I thought Marisa would give me some trouble since her shot type are weird.

Nope, I just obliterated Kanako with 3 lives left over.

cuc

By the way, is it still possible to buy doujinshi no longer listed on Melonbooks's site? Such as this

http://nameya.s269.xrea.com/princess_wriggle/main.html
?

From 2010? They no longer list it, so they definitely no longer have it in stock. For doujinshi from a few years ago like this, finding one copy isn't that easy.

EDIT:
So this one consists of a novel, an artbook, and a music CD. A simple google search fetched a secondhand copy of the artbook at Suruga-ya, but not much else.

From 2010? They no longer list it, so they definitely no longer have it in stock. For doujinshi from a few years ago like this, finding one copy isn't that easy.

EDIT:
So this one consists of a novel, an artbook, and a music CD. A simple google search fetched a secondhand copy of the artbook at Suruga-ya, but not much else.

Thank you! I forgot to mention this, but where could I find Touhou figurines on the cheap?

microfolk

Thanks! Here's the link.

I watched your PCB Extra stage clears and it gave me heart palpitations when you just zoom through a mess of bullets while on low lives.

That was a beautiful run, especially the fight aganist Aya, I couldn't believe my eyes when you captured Saruta Cross and Advent of the Divine Grandson with no options.

Eesh, from my standpoint Kancolle seems to have exploded out of nowhere.

Yeah, it's impressive how big it has become in just one year, though Touhou has been around for more than a decade and I still believe that it's incredible how a series so utterly devoid of any form of fanservice has gained such a following.
I'm fairly sure Touhou will stay relevan even in the future, I'm not so sure about Kancolle.

By the way Riverbed Soul Saver ver. 1.00c was released and finally Futo is playable. I believe this version implements Extra stage too but I've too busy playing with Futo B and Futo C, she's too fun to use.

Also ido released a new fangame, White name spoiled past (the download should be the second link on the page), though from what little I've seen they've changed the illustrator and I can't really say I like the new portraits. :\

demidar

That was a beautiful run, especially the fight aganist Aya, I couldn't believe my eyes when you captured Saruta Cross and Advent of the Divine Grandson with no options.

Yeah I couldn't believe it myself. It really boosted my confidence when it comes to tackling spell cards I used to just bomb. I can capture most of Nitori's spell cards now as well (Extending Arm, that random flood one and the wavy one), and do fairly well against Sanae's spell cards too.

I often play better when I have no bombs left, because I can purely focus on dodging without having to worry about whether I should use a bomb or not.

Yeah, it's impressive how big it has become in just one year, though Touhou has been around for more than a decade and I still believe that it's incredible how a series so utterly devoid of any form of fanservice has gained such a following.
I'm fairly sure Touhou will stay relevan even in the future, I'm not so sure about Kancolle.

One of the things I love about Touhou is that there's absolutely no fanservice or sexualization (though it seems a lot of other fans don't agree *cough*rule 34*cough*).

Imouto

Banned
One of the things I love about Touhou is that there's absolutely no fanservice or sexualization (though it seems a lot of other fans don't agree *cough*rule 34*cough*).

Nothing is safe from rule 34, so we should always make an exception for it.

The "fanservice" in Touhou exists in another form. It's the thing Japan is pretty good at, turning everything into girls.

demidar

Nothing is safe from rule 34, so we should always make an exception for it.

The "fanservice" in Touhou exists in another form. It's the thing Japan is pretty good at, turning everything into girls.

Well that's true, but I more meant the lewd type of fanservice.

But I know if I had an inch of drawing ability I'd be drawing cute girls all day :D

Evilisk

By the way Riverbed Soul Saver ver. 1.00c was released and finally Futo is playable. I believe this version implements Extra stage too but I've too busy playing with Futo B and Futo C, she's too fun to use.

Also ido released a new fangame, White name spoiled past (the download should be the second link on the page), though from what little I've seen they've changed the illustrator and I can't really say I like the new portraits. :\

Oh good, time to get that patch now and finally try out Futo. Also hoping that the EX Boss has a nifty theme too (the music in RSS is so good, I've been listening to it so much recently)

Man, for a second I thought that was the sequel. Not that the sequel has bad art in any way, but customization is fun. I never realized how similar the menus were despite how improved LoT2 is. Speaking of which it's fully translated and I personally think it's far more interesting if that matters.

Huh, I'll have to check that out once I beat the first one

microfolk

Mokou went down far more easily than expected.
Though the stage portion of IN's stage is far easier than both Extra's and Phantasm's in PCB and the availability of Spell Practice greatly reduced the time I needed to learn how to deal with Mokou.
Speaking of her I find it funny how most of her spellcards are really easy when you learn how to deal with them (Honest Man's Death and Possessed by Phoenix are the most illustrious example I think) but then you've got Fujiyama Vulcano and Hourai Doll which are really though spellcards and they are a joy to play with, especially the first one in my opinion, dodging giant danmaku bombs never gets old. And then there are her non-spellcards which are just brutal. I don't think I'll be able to survive her last one in the near future, it may be one of the most fast pattern I've ever seen in this series.

Also Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke may be one of my favourite theme of all Touhou, and it's also the only one of which the original track is far, far better than any arrangement I've found thus far.

ibyea

Banned
NOOOOOOOO. I almost 1cc'd a Touhou game for the first time. And due to my inability to bomb on time and because I got too nervous, I died. My fingers need to be more bomb trigger happy.

shockdude

Man I am getting beat up by MoF Hard. That game is full of crazy dense bullet patterns - even the stage 1 boss's first spellcard is a threat.
I really should be bomb spamming more.
I'm also having a bit too much fun collecting faith items in that game, but w/e.

demidar

Mokou went down far more easily than expected.
Though the stage portion of IN's stage is far easier than both Extra's and Phantasm's in PCB and the availability of Spell Practice greatly reduced the time I needed to learn how to deal with Mokou.
Speaking of her I find it funny how most of her spellcards are really easy when you learn how to deal with them (Honest Man's Death and Possessed by Phoenix are the most illustrious example I think) but then you've got Fujiyama Vulcano and Hourai Doll which are really though spellcards and they are a joy to play with, especially the first one in my opinion, dodging giant danmaku bombs never gets old. And then there are her non-spellcards which are just brutal. I don't think I'll be able to survive her last one in the near future, it may be one of the most fast pattern I've ever seen in this series.

Also Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke may be one of my favourite theme of all Touhou, and it's also the only one of which the original track is far, far better than any arrangement I've found thus far.

You're already on your second Extra kill? Oh man I gotta catch up, can't let you whippersnappers get the better of me!

Immortal Smoke is a great theme but I wouldn't call it my favourite. But there are so many themes I like that choosing a favourite is too damn hard.

The only theme that I haven't heard a good arrange for is Sakuya's theme, Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial, but admittedly I haven't listened to too many arranges and don't know how to go about it.

Man I am getting beat up by MoF Hard. That game is full of crazy dense bullet patterns - even the stage 1 boss's first spellcard is a threat.
I'm also having a bit too much fun collecting faith items in that game, but w/e.

The first wall I hit with MoF hard is Nitori, where the bullets start flying faster and patterned/strategized dodging is necessary. Hydro Camouflage hurts, Diluvial Mere killed me a lot, Kappa's Flash Flood is a roll of the dice and Extending Arm still messes me up real good. But I persevered, don't be afraid to abuse bombs. I have one more shot type left to beat on Hard, which is Reimu C (Youkai Buster, the shotgun).

microfolk

You're already on your second Extra kill? Oh man I gotta catch up, can't let you whippersnappers get the better of me!

Immortal Smoke is a great theme but I wouldn't call it my favourite. But there are so many themes I like that choosing a favourite is too damn hard.

The only theme that I haven't heard a good arrange for is Sakuya's theme, Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial, but admittedly I haven't listened to too many arranges and don't know how to go about it.

Now I'm thinking if I should pursue the last two Normal 1CCs I've got left (UFO and TD) (there is also Great Fairy Wars but I'm not really sure how that would work since there are three routes with two variations each and in any case that game is really hard) and then move to Hard Mode or to focus mainly on the Extra Stages while I lazily get the last clears. Thing is I'm pretty lazy and memorizing how Extra Stages work is busywork, though when I begin playing them I find the grind really fun so it's just a matter of motivating myself to do it. :p Maybe I'll try MoF's or SA's ones, I love the themes of both the stages and the bosses, especially Last Remote since it has got one of my favourite piano arranges ever.

Talking about Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial I've found a great deal of beautiful arrangements:
- We obviously can't talk about EoSD arranges without mentioning Minor=Minor, to this day Jazzbar SCARLET is one of my favourite album of Touhou arrangements
- Then there is Bitplane which is another one of my favourite circles, Eastern Fairy Tale is a beautiful album and this arrangement of Sakuya's theme is one of its best track
- Shibayan electronic arrangements may not be up to your alley but I think they are really good. It's not really my cup of tea either but I love his choice of sounds and he always gets great singers to work with him.
- t=NODE always makes these orchestral arrangements with a heavy use of electronics while trying to give them a sense of narration more than repetition, it's pretty cool.
- This is a recent arrangement by TAMUSIC, there is a piano some violins. It's good as it sounds.
- I've tried to stay away from metal arrangements as much as possible since my tastes in metal don't intersect at all with the Touhou's musical production but this one is made by ziki_7 and it shows. Top notch production as always.

I don't even like Sakuya's theme that much (I'm not really a fan of how ZUN uses electric guitars), it's a more sad affair of state for us fans of The Maid and the Pocket Watch of Blood (EoSD stage 5 theme). :(

demidar

Now I'm thinking if I should pursue the last two Normal 1CCs I've got left (UFO and TD) (there is also Great Fairy Wars but I'm not really sure how that would work since there are three routes with two variations each and in any case that game is really hard) and then move to Hard Mode or to focus mainly on the Extra Stages while I lazily get the last clears. Thing is I'm pretty lazy and memorizing how Extra Stages work is busywork, though when I begin playing them I find the grind really fun so it's just a matter of motivating myself to do it. :p Maybe I'll try MoF's or SA's ones, I love the themes of both the stages and the bosses, especially Last Remote since it has got one of my favourite piano arranges ever.

Talking about Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial I've found a great deal of beautiful arrangements:
- We obviously can't talk about EoSD arranges without mentioning Minor=Minor, to this day Jazzbar SCARLET is one of my favourite album of Touhou arrangements
- Then there is Bitplane which is another one of my favourite circles, Eastern Fairy Tale is a beautiful album and this arrangement of Sakuya's theme is one of its best track
- Shibayan electronic arrangements may not be up to your alley but I think they are really good. It's not really my cup of tea either but I love his choice of sounds and he always gets great singers to work with him.
- t=NODE always makes these orchestral arrangements with a heavy use of electronics while trying to give them a sense of narration more than repetition, it's pretty cool.
- This is a recent arrangement by TAMUSIC, there is a piano some violins. It's good as it sounds.
- I've tried to stay away from metal arrangements as much as possible since my tastes in metal don't intersect at all with the Touhou's musical production but this one is made by ziki_7 and it shows. Top notch production as always.

I don't even like Sakuya's theme that much (I'm not really a fan of how ZUN uses electric guitars), it's a more sad affair of state for us fans of The Maid and the Pocket Watch of Blood (EoSD stage 5 theme). :(

I gave them all a listen and while good, aren't really my thing. It's okay though, because even I'm confused by my musical taste.

microfolk

I gave them all a listen and while good, aren't really my thing. It's okay though, because even I'm confused by my musical taste.

Now I'm curious, could you share some arrangement you really like? I've always been fascinated by the diversity in tastes between people and it's always good to listen to something outside my comfort zone.

upandaway

Been slowly going through the M-1 Grand Prix videos, a few misses but some of them are really fun.

Definitely use bombs as much as possible in MoF. There is no reason not to spam bombs in that game.

Just find which places you wanna bomb when you practice the stages. For example there's a place in Nitori's stage that I always bomb in, even if I can dodge it, because I just get the power immediately afterwards, there's no point in not playing it safe.

That's why MoF is my go-to game for beginners because it forces you to learn how to keep a finger on the bomb.

demidar

Now I'm curious, could you share some arrangement you really like? I've always been fascinated by the diversity in tastes between people and it's always good to listen to something outside my comfort zone.

Haha I don't think my music tastes are worth anything, I can't really articulate why I like something, it could be something like "I like the bassline of this song and that's it" or "This small 4 second sample in this 6 minute, non-repeating song really does it for me", and also my music discovery is pretty terrible as well (if I am in a position to listen to anything, I will usually opt for a podcast instead). Regardless, here's a meager list that I have scraped together, and I've also included the spinoff mainline games as well (to pad out my list :p).

Some Mystia arrange.
dBu arrange of Rumia's theme, and I'll throw in the Lunate Elf arrange too.
This calmer arrange of Cirno's theme from K-wave Lab.
A not-so-plain version of Plain Asia.
This ending theme to EoSD I really, really like by Floating Cloud.
I also happened upon the Tokyo Active NEETs while looking for their arrange of the first stage of PCB but the start of this video was the best I got. These videos also seem like promotional videos for their arrange album. I listened to their EoSD one and it's great. And here's the playlist of the rest of their promos. I will have to seriously look into acquiring their albums.

I haven't found a metal arrange that I've really liked so no rep there. I also haven't found this great jazz/swing (I get the two confused a lot) version of Love-Coloured Master Spark.

Anyway, this is a deep hole that I'm about to fall into and I actually got work to do so that'll be it for now. :p

shockdude

I think I'll bomb my way through all the other MoF shottypes on Normal before trying Hard again, since I actually haven't done that yet.

I also have a weird musical taste; in particular I have a preference for strong non-vocal arrangements.
AQUAELIE - 闇時計~Death dial
Demetori - Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial

Heh, both of these ended up being rock/metal arranges. Granted, there aren't many other ways to maintain the drive of the original song.

demidar

I think I'll bomb my way through all the other MoF shottypes on Normal before trying Hard again, since I actually haven't done that yet.

I also have a weird musical taste; in particular I have a preference for strong non-vocal arrangements.
AQUAELIE - 闇時計~Death dial
Demetori - Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial

Heh, both of these ended up being rock/metal arranges. Granted, there aren't many other ways to maintain the drive of the original song.

They're not too bad but I still prefer the original.

I also have a strong preference to non-vocal music, I like it when the instruments is all one has to convey emotion without relying on the meaning of lyrics.

I also forgot the spinoff arranges in my last post so here's a few examples (warning: 10 minute extended videos).
Nitori's theme from Hopeless Masquerade. I think this is far superior to the original, not that the OG is bad by any means.
Cirno's theme from Hisoutensoku. I'm not sure what genre this is but I like it.
Suwako's stage theme also from Hisoutensoku. That flute (?!?!).
I'm also gonna throw in Marisa's theme, because Marisa is objectively the best.

shockdude

Decided to do a MoF Normal 1CC with ReimuA. The differences between Normal and Hard in MoF almost make it feel like a completely different game.
Also, this is the first time I've seen my score literally double in between stages 5 and 6; went from 178M all the way to 361M. Fun stuff.

CtC's arrange of pocket watch is pretty decent. At the very least it makes for a good stage theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lboMpXxXUlo

Evilisk

I also forgot the spinoff arranges in my last post so here's a few examples (warning: 10 minute extended videos).

If we're posting spinoff arranges, here are my picks:
UNL Sanae theme (the original is ace but the electric guitar just turns it into something else)
HM Miko theme (it's pretty good though to be fair, I wouldn't consider the original one of ZUN's best works)
HM Komeiji theme (was never a fan of the original tbh so I really like this version)
HM Byakuren theme (I also really like the original but this is good in it's own right)
HM Disguised Mamizou theme (aka the Futatsuiwa from Sado/Love Coloured Master Spark mashup from HM, this is just sooo good)

demidar

If we're posting spinoff arranges, here are my picks:
UNL Sanae theme (the original is ace but the electric guitar just turns it into something else)
HM Miko theme (it's pretty good though to be fair, I wouldn't consider the original one of ZUN's best works)
HM Komeiji theme (was never a fan of the original tbh so I really like this version)
HM Byakuren theme (I also really like the original but this is good in it's own right)
HM Disguised Mamizou theme (aka the Futatsuiwa from Sado/Love Coloured Master Spark mashup from HM, this is just sooo good)

While they're good, I haven't played the games the the originals are from (except Sanae) so I can't really compare. But they are pretty good.

I should probably import SA and UFO soon.

microfolk

Aaaaaah we're all talking about 2hu music I'm so happy~

Haha I don't think my music tastes are worth anything, I can't really articulate why I like something, it could be something like "I like the bassline of this song and that's it" or "This small 4 second sample in this 6 minute, non-repeating song really does it for me", and also my music discovery is pretty terrible as well (if I am in a position to listen to anything, I will usually opt for a podcast instead). Regardless, here's a meager list that I have scraped together, and I've also included the spinoff mainline games as well (to pad out my list :p).

Some Mystia arrange.
dBu arrange of Rumia's theme, and I'll throw in the Lunate Elf arrange too.
This calmer arrange of Cirno's theme from K-wave Lab.
A not-so-plain version of Plain Asia.
This ending theme to EoSD I really, really like by Floating Cloud.
I also happened upon the Tokyo Active NEETs while looking for their arrange of the first stage of PCB but the start of this video was the best I got. These videos also seem like promotional videos for their arrange album. I listened to their EoSD one and it's great. And here's the playlist of the rest of their promos. I will have to seriously look into acquiring their albums.

I haven't found a metal arrange that I've really liked so no rep there. I also haven't found this great jazz/swing (I get the two confused a lot) version of Love-Coloured Master Spark.

Anyway, this is a deep hole that I'm about to fall into and I actually got work to do so that'll be it for now. :p

This is really really fun since I've checked if half of the artists you just posted made an arrangement of Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial, especially Floating Cloud and Tokyo Active NEETs since they are two of my favourites circles. :p Both of their C86 release are astoundish by the way, in case I forgot to mention before.

You can say that swing is a subgenre of Jazz which ditch improvisation in favour of orchestral composition and a focus on making a danceable (is this even a word) tune. I'm pretty sure about this definition but in case I'm wrong I hope someone will correct me.

CtC's arrange of pocket watch is pretty decent. At the very least it makes for a good stage theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lboMpXxXUlo

I should really check CtC one of these days, the arrangements I've heard are really good. I also think that this arrangements of Blue Sea of 53 Minutes is far better than the original version it's incredible.
But my main problem with The Maid and the Pocket Watch of Blood is more that it's a criminally underused track, when talking about Sakuya everybody focuses on Flowering Night (which is a beautiful theme, of course), and maybe Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial if that circle is more metal oriented. :p
I'm lucky that minimum electric design made this beautiful rock arrangement though I prefer the instrumental version from Yukari Telegraph, but I can't find it on youtube.
Also this piano arrangement but abab is the based god of piano arranges along with Marasy he's incredible.
And since we were talking about Love Coloured Masterspark...

Speaking of Maid and the Pocket Watch of Blood, have you listened to this arrange before?
Orchestral arrange by Foxfactory
Personally, it's my favourite arrange of the song, very elegant.

On the topic of Spin Off Arrangements, I'm particularly fond of this remix of Voile, the Magic Library from Hisoutensoku. as well this remix of the main theme into Iku's pre-battle theme in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody.

And while not a remix of any existing theme (By ZUN or U2 otherwise), I believe this has got to be the best not-ZUN theme from all of the fighting game spinoffs.

I should really check CtC one of these days, the arrangements I've heard are really good. I also think that this arrangements of Blue Sea of 53 Minutes is far better than the original version it's incredible.

CtC's remix of Blue Sea of 53 Minutes is one of the first Touhou-related songs I've listened too, and to this day I still hold it in very high regard and consider it to be one of the best arranges of any Touhou song I've ever listened to. It just works so well, it's amazing how they could make a song that's otherwise about Merry and Renko on a train into something so haunting and beautiful.

demidar

You can say that swing is a subgenre of Jazz which ditch improvisation in favour of orchestral composition and a focus on making a danceable (is this even a word) tune. I'm pretty sure about this definition but in case I'm wrong I hope someone will correct me.

Sounds about right. I wouldn't actually know though, since my music knowledge is limited to a high school music class that has long since dribbled out my ear.

Speaking of Maid and the Pocket Watch of Blood, have you listened to this arrange before?

Nice arrange of Sakuya's stage theme. An elegant arrange for the Perfect, Elegant Maid.

And while not a remix of any existing theme (By ZUN or U2 otherwise), I believe this has got to be the best not-ZUN theme from all of the fighting game spinoffs.

That pre-battle theme is so... un-Touhou-like. It's weirding me out!

shockdude

Demetori's metal/rock arrangement of pocket watch is also pretty good. Then again it's Demetori; all of their stuff is good.
And for fun: Trance Master Spark.

That pre-battle theme is so... un-Touhou-like. It's weirding me out!
No kidding. A Touhou song in a major key, madness.

CtC's remix of Blue Sea of 53 Minutes is one of the first Touhou-related songs I've listened too, and to this day I still hold it in very high regard and consider it to be one of the best arranges of any Touhou song I've ever listened to. It just works so well, it's amazing how they could make a song that's otherwise about Merry and Renko on a train into something so haunting and beautiful.
CtC is an amazing fangame, you should absolutely check it out. Blue Sea of 53 Minutes is even more haunting and beautiful when listened to within the game's context. An english patch for the game is a must; reading a wiki isn't the same.

microfolk

Oh my I should totally listen to some more album from Fox Laboratory, as I've stated before their C86 is sweet and this arrangement too is really nice~

CtC is an amazing fangame, you should absolutely check it out. Blue Sea of 53 Minutes is even more haunting and beautiful when listened to within the game's context. An english patch for the game is a must; reading a wiki isn't the same.

I played it just once but it's pretty cool, though there is one thing that really hampers my enjoyment and that I've found it's present in almost every single fangame I've played: the sounds are terrible! There is no sound when the enemies shoot bullets, the item get sound is weak and oh god the enemy's explosion sound is ridicolous. I know I'm being extremely nitpicky but I've found that the sound design of Touhou's games is extremely important in how I like this series far more than any other danmaku I've played, and I can't understand why the fangames don't copy this aspect 1:1.
Despite this I'll definitely play the game some more, I just wanted to vent something I've been thinking for a long time. :p

Also I'm playing some Touhou 12 and it's going pretty good, in just two days I've managed to reach Byakuren with 2 lives after a disastrous playthrough, the amount of resources the UFO system throws at you is almost as ridicolous asTouhou 14, though the fourth stage is a clusterfuck of bullets and I don't think I'll try to plan a UFO route for that, it's too much effort for almost no gain since I can get to max lives as soon as Stage 3.

shockdude

I played it just once but it's pretty cool, though there is one thing that really hampers my enjoyment and that I've found it's present in almost every single fangame I've played: the sounds are terrible! There is no sound when the enemies shoot bullets, the item get sound is weak and oh god the enemy's explosion sound is ridicolous.
Enemies should definitely be making sounds when shooting bullets. Are you sure your installation isn't corrupt? Are you playing v1.00, v2.00, or v2.01?
Imo ZUN's spellcard declaration sound is pretty ridiculous compared to CtC's :p

I know I'm being extremely nitpicky but I've found that the sound design of Touhou's games is extremely important in how I like this series far more than any other danmaku I've played, and I can't understand why the fangames don't copy this aspect 1:1.
IIRC ZUN's terms of service prevents doujin game developers from using his game assets (e.g. sound effects) in their games.
Imo CtC's sound design is more than adequate. They get pretty close to the source material while having their own style.

Despite this I'll definitely play the game some more, I just wanted to vent something I've been thinking for a long time. :p
Keep in mind that half of what makes CtC is its presentation. Thus, if you haven't already installed the English Patch (source), I highly suggest doing that.

Edit: Demidar, you weren't kidding about VoWG Hard. It's literally "here's a wall of bullets, enjoy."
Using ReimuA, entered Stage 6 with 7 lives (bomb everything lol). 3 of those lives were lost due to inexperience with Kanako's attacks. The last 4 were lost to VoWG.

demidar

Virtue of Wind God is waaaaaay harder than Suwako's final spell card, in my opinion, because at least Mishaguji-sama is theatrical. Virtue of Wind God seems either random or targeted meaning it's possible to trap yourself.

demidar

And to support my previous post, here's a Marisa B run of MoF Extra. I try to not use the glitch though, and I was entirely locked down to focus during the final spell card.T

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=34732.

A few bombs used on the final spell card, but no deaths! On the other hand, I had two preventable deaths to Froggy Braves the Elements and one to Seven Stones and Seven Trees, so my score could've been a lot better.

I also finally beat Hard with Reimu C as well. Youkai Buster is the worst. But that also means I'm done with MoF for now, I'll probably go back and try to beat the Extra stages of previous games while I'm waiting for SA to come.

microfolk

Enemies should definitely be making sounds when shooting bullets. Are you sure your installation isn't corrupt? Are you playing v1.00, v2.00, or v2.01?
Imo ZUN's spellcard declaration sound is pretty ridiculous compared to CtC's :p

IIRC ZUN's terms of service prevents doujin game developers from using his game assets (e.g. sound effects) in their games.
Imo CtC's sound design is more than adequate. They get pretty close to the source material while having their own style.

Keep in mind that half of what makes CtC is its presentation. Thus, if you haven't already installed the English Patch (source), I highly suggest doing that.

Yes I'm playing the translated version, and I'm still trying to decide if I can appreciate or not the plot... Not to say it isn't good it's fantastic but oh my god it's so sad I don't know if I want to play Touhou and feel sad ahahaha.

Maybe I'm playing an old version I'll check it out but the main offender continues to be the enemies' explosion sound (which is danmafuku's default one I think? It's the same in other scripts from what I've seen in some youtube videos), it feels like I'm popping a baloon.

But instead of playing CtC I've spent the last days clearing both UFO on Normal (here I wrote about my encounter with the last boss) and TD, and both of them were far simpler than imagined. UFO because it should be the hardest normal clear after SA from what I've gathered and SA made me suffer for weeks, instead after switching from Sanae B to Reimu A (Sanae B is a beautiful shot type but Murasa is a pain with her if you don't shotgun half of her attacks and I played the fourth stage far too many time for the challenge in this very topic) it only took five serious runs I think? My clear was terrible but hey I still cleared the dreaded UFO it still counts. :p
And I knew TD was simple but even with my ridicolous experience with the game I still managed to 1cc it in less than a day and I did it with Youmu which is the trickiest character! The game is very fun when you make some good trancing routes and try to shotgun the bosses as long as possible but instead of spending some more time with both of these games I wanted to move up from Normal mode since I've got a 1cc on every single mainline game!
Goodbye Normal Mode and welcome EoSD Hard Mode, I'll play with you with a loooong time. I already made a 2 credit clear with Reimu B to unlock all the stages in practice mode and I think I can manage it without too much problems since I know the stages by heart but it's so much fun. This is the second Touhou I'm playing on Hard after PCB but I'm enjoying myself to much, I'll definitely try to get a 1cc on Hard with every single shot type and maybe try to score a little bit, aiming for a fast 1cc with a single character and then moving onto the next game was fun on Normal now I want to consolidate my skills and try to become more reliable with full runs.
Also I plan to clear the Extra Stages of all games, I feel like both Yukari and Mokou were the easy mode of the Extra Bosses. :p

And to support my previous post, here's a Marisa B run of MoF Extra. I try to not use the glitch though, and I was entirely locked down to focus during the final spell card.T

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=34732.

A few bombs used on the final spell card, but no deaths! On the other hand, I had two preventable deaths to Froggy Braves the Elements and one to Seven Stones and Seven Trees, so my score could've been a lot better.

I also finally beat Hard with Reimu C as well. Youkai Buster is the worst. But that also means I'm done with MoF for now, I'll probably go back and try to beat the Extra stages of previous games while I'm waiting for SA to come.

Congratulation on both your clears! And oh boy if you feel like MoF's Reimu C is bad (and don't get me wrong she's terrible) you'll have fun with SA.
Also known as: how is it possible that Reimu A is far better than every other shot type in every single aspect and the only other good shot type is Reimu C which btw is ridicolously difficult to use.
I'm curious to see how difficult will it be for you after MoF's Hard, SA's Normal clear was by far the most difficult for me and even now after a good month I think I'll still have troubles with the fifth stage's boss, she's mean. Also it seems like I can't do well with limited resources and SA's system may be the most cruel of all the series (long story short you gain life's parts if you don't die during spell cards and non spell cards. Play well and get a decent number of lives play badly and meet an horrible and premature fate)

EDIT: oh my god I wrote a wall of text without even noticing it. As always please pardon me for my badly-written ramblings, I hope I didn't write anything too ugly or uncomprehensible. :\

shockdude

Finally did a Hard 1CC...of CtC :p

I think I figured out why I like CtC so much. While ZUN syncs his music to his stages, CtC takes it a step further by syncing its music to the game's dialogue.

CtC is a standard danmaku game with good music and a decent story starring Marisa. Yet as you listen to the music and read the dialogue, you start to feel the same emotions as Marisa. As you play through the game and listen to the music, these emotions get stronger and stronger. When you reach the final boss, the combination of emotions and fitting music make an otherwise standard Stage 6 boss fight become this epic battle of awesome.

What I'm trying to say is that CtC is a surprisingly immersive game because of how well the music sets the tone throughout the game.

Immersion in a shmup. Who would've thought.
I could also be crazy, but w/e.

Yes I'm playing the translated version, and I'm still trying to decide if I can appreciate or not the plot... Not to say it isn't good it's fantastic but oh my god it's so sad I don't know if I want to play Touhou and feel sad ahahaha.
Haha, just you wait. It'll get better. Interpret that statement as you will.

Maybe I'm playing an old version I'll check it out but the main offender continues to be the enemies' explosion sound (which is danmafuku's default one I think? It's the same in other scripts from what I've seen in some youtube videos), it feels like I'm popping a baloon.
When selecting CtC in Danmakufu, if you see "THC R2.00", you have either 2.00 or 2.01; both are good enough.
Yeah the "balloon pop" is Danmakufu's default explosion sound. However, the enemy firing sounds are designed specifically for CtC. Other CtC-specific sounds include the main menu selection sounds, lasers, the timeout sound, and the bassy sound when shooting at a boss. Do those sounds work for you?

demidar

Congratulation on both your clears! And oh boy if you feel like MoF's Reimu C is bad (and don't get me wrong she's terrible) you'll have fun with SA.
Also known as: how is it possible that Reimu A is far better than every other shot type in every single aspect and the only other good shot type is Reimu C which btw is ridicolously difficult to use.
I'm curious to see how difficult will it be for you after MoF's Hard, SA's Normal clear was by far the most difficult for me and even now after a good month I think I'll still have troubles with the fifth stage's boss, she's mean. Also it seems like I can't do well with limited resources and SA's system may be the most cruel of all the series (long story short you gain life's parts if you don't die during spell cards and non spell cards. Play well and get a decent number of lives play badly and meet an horrible and premature fate)

EDIT: oh my god I wrote a wall of text without even noticing it. As always please pardon me for my badly-written ramblings, I hope I didn't write anything too ugly or uncomprehensible. :\

I heard SA is one of the hardest games in the series, and I plan on jumping into Hard at the start so this'll be fun (I can't tell if I'm being sarcastic or not). But it'll be nice to hear from some of the earlier characters again.

What I'm doing now though is alternating between playing through EoSD on hard and trying the Extra stage. A hard playthough doesn't seem too hard, it's just about learning about the new spell cards that I haven't seen in my normal playthrough and then devising strategies to deal with them. The Extra stage is really killing me though with its lack of visible hitbox. I managed to get up to Maze of Love and I don't really know how to deal with that.

So I read up on this CtC game and that game sounds really depressing.

shockdude

I heard SA is one of the hardest games in the series, and I plan on jumping into Hard at the start so this'll be fun (I can't tell if I'm being sarcastic or not). But it'll be nice to hear from some of the earlier characters again.

What I'm doing now though is alternating between playing through EoSD on hard and trying the Extra stage. A hard playthough doesn't seem too hard, it's just about learning about the new spell cards that I haven't seen in my normal playthrough and then devising strategies to deal with them. The Extra stage is really killing me though with its lack of visible hitbox. I managed to get up to Maze of Love and I don't really know how to deal with that.

So I read up on this CtC game and that game sounds really depressing.

IIRC SA has the hardest Normal mode, while UFO had the hardest Lunatic mode before it was dethroned by DDC.

EoSD's hitboxes aren't too hard to figure out. For Reimu it's the tiny white dot in the center of her sprite, and for Marisa it's the center of her bow. Also please don't try to micrododge Maze of Love at the bottom of the screen; there's a safer way to deal with it.

CtC isn't just depressing. Once you accept its non-canon nature, it becomes convincingly depressing, and it's great. It's got some cool spellcards as well; Alice's, Remilia's, and Patchouli's are a lot of fun.

microfolk

Well this was unexpected:

cZmp13O.png

It was... An incredibly messy run that I thought was doomed since I've had lost two lives against Meiling, but somehow I've managed to defeat Remilia losing just one life (and finishing the game on my last one too!) so ??? wow

The good thing is that I think I've ironed out the routes for every single stage so with some effort I think I'll be able to clear the game with every single shot type pretty soon, then I'll have to learn how to do the Extra stage without losing two lives every single time, Flandre doesn't seem too difficult at least until Clock that Ticks Away the Past.

demidar

Well this was unexpected:

It was... An incredibly messy run that I thought was doomed since I've had lost two lives against Meiling, but somehow I've managed to defeat Remilia losing just one life (and finishing the game on my last one too!) so ??? wow

The good thing is that I think I've ironed out the routes for every single stage so with some effort I think I'll be able to clear the game with every single shot type pretty soon, then I'll have to learn how to do the Extra stage without losing two lives every single time, Flandre doesn't seem too difficult at least until Clock that Ticks Away the Past.

Good job. I was having a bit of trouble with Remilia myself but that was mostly due to unfamiliarity with her new spells. Unfortunately I got busy so I couldn't chase it up, and I won't now since I got SA and UFO which I will start today.

Flandre is hard :S

HGH

Banned
Honestly the move to digital distribution was a really big thing already. I'm sure they'll announce something in due time. Heck, Comiket is really not that far off.

In the meantime, here's a video of some fancy attack animations from the latest Super Robot Wars style fangame. They're pretty intricate.

upandaway

Honestly the move to digital distribution was a really big thing already. I'm sure they'll announce something in due time. Heck, Comiket is really not that far off.

In the meantime, here's a video of some fancy attack animations from the latest Super Robot Wars style fangame. They're pretty intricate.
That escalated quickly haha. Feels a bit slow but looks fun.

I gave DDC some more time a bit back, and I'm starting to think stage 4 is the hardest stage for me. Am I being weird? I can't even pinpoint what the problem is, it's always something different.

demidar

Those SRW games just get more and more elaborate. I wish they were translated.

I've put a lot of hours into Subterranean Animism and holy wow there are a lot of mechanics. This kind of reminds me of the jump from PCB to IN. Even graze came back. The only thing I wish the game had was portraits for your youkai partners as well.

I've pretty much hit a wall with stage 5. I can't really discern a safe path from all the bullets, they look like they're just fired randomly so streaming could end in a death if I'm not careful. Each of Orin's interludes each kick the shit out of me if I don't have enough shot power, and Orin's boss battle's zombie fairies is tricky to handle (tricky because I rarely reach her so I have no experience handling her Spell Cards).

Much like MoF, I really like the dark music in Stage 2, but the one in MoF is more upbeat and cheery than this one. Don't really know how to explain it.

Yuugi, why do you have to use so many lasers :'(

Top Bottom