• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tower of Shadow (wii) official site opens

zigg

Is it just me, or does the
sexy
butterfly look like it's controlled by the Remote pointer? i.e. using the pointer to control the light source?

If so, that is really damn cool.

Sagitario

zigg said:
sexy
butterfly look like it's controlled by the Remote pointer? i.e. using the pointer to control the light source?

If so, that is really damn cool.

I believe she indeed is controller by the pointer...

Nice trailer, I like the music...
The style gives me an Ico vibe...

ZAK

Dascu said:
Have you heard anything about a Rocket Knight Adventures game by Climax? They've still got a secret Wii/PSP project in the works, and some German site reported a while ago that it's a new RKA game. If it's true, I'm expecting it to be announced next week.
:^O waaaaaat

And the trailer is pretty nice too.

You know, this is a really good thread for things for me to be disappointed about later.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Read the article on this in the new Nintendo Power, and all of a sudden, this game's very much on my radar. Looks pretty special.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
They've renamed this to Lost in Shadow. Here's the press release.

HUDSON ENTERTAINMENT CHALLENGES GAMERS TO AIM HIGH WITH THE ARTISTIC PLATFORMER LOST IN SHADOW

Mixing Innovative Adventure, Puzzles and Movement, Lost In Shadow Brings a New Dimension to Wii

San Mateo, Calif. – Sept 1, 2009 – In 2010, Hudson Entertainment will give gamers a glimpse into Lost In Shadow - a striking vision that follows a shadow of a boy as he attempts to climb around and up a mystical tower. Along the way, players must solve mysteries, puzzles and fight off enemies that try to impede the boy’s progress. Published by Hudson Entertainment, the North and South American publishing arm of HUDSON SOFT, Lost In Shadow will be exclusive to WiiTM.

“Lost In Shadow is different from anything else seen on Wii before - mixing unique platform elements with levels of puzzles into a stylized environment for a beautiful gameplay experience,” said Dai Kudo, director of consumer products at Hudson Entertainment. “The innovative shadow-based gameplay and artistic vision makes Lost In Shadow a truly breakthrough concept in videogames.”

In Lost In Shadow, players are confronted with a mysterious Tower in an alternative world. The Tower is filled with moving shadows yet at the same time, casts a large shadow on everything beneath it. With the help of a winged sylph known as “Spangle,” players can move lights in the foreground to create new shadowy walkways to previously inaccessible areas. Unaffected by gravity while traveling through this medieval landscape, the shadow boy solves mysteries and fights off enemies who stand in his way. The game’s combination of light, shadow, background and foreground creates a unique blend of novel gameplay features, morphing landscapes and artistic visuals.

AniHawk

ShineALight said:
Definitely getting this. Wii's getting a decent amount of sidescrollers/platformers.

That was the last thing I expected from the system. It's very welcome, though. Good to see platformers having a sort of resurgence in general this generation anyway.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
AniHawk said:
That was the last thing I expected from the system. It's very welcome, though. Good to see platformers having a sort of resurgence in general this generation anyway.

I wish there were more action-packed, dynamic platformers (of the Mario or Megaman kind), as opposed to all these zen/puzzle-focused/Metroid-y platformers we're getting. Pulling it off like Knytt without becoming boring seems hard to me, and I don't think I've seen anything succeed in that regard (other than Knytt, but it's not coming to consoles). Despite your opinion on NyxQuest, I'm not willing to give it a shot (unless I can try it out at a friend's place) because it still looks too much like a LostWinds-like game with linear levels. Barely an improvement :/.

Maybe Tower of Shadow will be like that, but judging by the art direction and concept of the game, I expect another contemplative/puzzle platformer, which makes poor Kilrogg a sad bear.

KevinCow

Banned
zigg said:
sexy
butterfly look like it's controlled by the Remote pointer?

I'd control her with my pointer.

Yes, I just bumped this thread for an immature joke that barely even makes sense. Well mainly that. I guess I also wanted to say this looks really awesome and I'm glad someone linked to it from the Shadow Walker thread.

Agnates

Banned
Is there a new thread for this?

A new trailer is out. It looks nice, though the visuals look like ass to me (honestly, it should look almost like the CG with such simple designs, NyxQuest on WiiWare looks better than this also, and if I remember right this is meant to be a retail platformer, yes?), but overall it seems neat as long as there aren't many close ups, and the levels shown here make somewhat more sense than the random boxes and glitched shadows of past media. Nice audio too.

@above: yes, I think you can control the butterfly with the pointer and manipulate certain light sources with her to change the shadows.

OM NOM NOM

GIVE ME RELEASE DATE NOW
Agnates said:
the visuals look like ass to me (honestly, it should look almost like the CG with such simple designs, NyxQuest on WiiWare looks better than this
And that, kids, is why you should never use drugs.

sublimit

Banned
Agnates said:

Wow thanks for posting,great trailer!I think the concept of this game is great and has a lot of potential if done right.It's one of my most anticipated titles for this year.

Agnates said:
though the visuals look like ass to me (honestly, it should look almost like the CG with such simple designs, NyxQuest on WiiWare looks better than this also, and if I remember right this is meant to be a retail platformer, yes?)

What was it that you didn't liked about the visuals?Everything i have seen from this game so far looks amazing IMO (considering Wii's limitations) and the art direction especially is top notch.

Agnates

Banned
Er? No, it doesn't look anywhere near to pushing the Wii. Again, look @ NyxQuest and even Lost Winds, WiiWare titles.

And here, this is what looked like ass:
eggiC7gMT9Vp5DiBk8r4J3cLAvSz28wY.jpg
EXZ6lYqjT6qrQhi8bJ9Kxys3mY4xB5l9.jpg
jP9Ao5oxxk3aztANo4uynt1nFFj16FnA.jpg
VqxzaM4Yx1469RnOe97NST9SWC9IMJ7J.jpg

There are, sadly, plenty more where these came from. That's PS1 level stuff with some shadowing on top, not pushing the Wii to its limit stuff... crates, nearly triangular pipes, and weird, nonsensical, simplistic shapes just to have shadows to walk on. These are basic primitive shapes and with crappy texturing on top. It's completely artificial level design too. The shadows look completely weirded out in that one shot. Good considering Wii? Good art direction? Lol, no, more like crap + nonexistent art direction, go look at Klonoa if not those WiiWare games I mentioned, and those are far from Wii's best also. Yeah it has real time-ish shadows, big deal, so does Silent Hill without looking like ass. And those other platformers may not have such shadowing but they have other effects depending on the level and heavy use of physics. But, like I said, from afar, as in this new video, it looks just about neat enough, but I hope the atrocious levels in the screens are scrapped.

AniHawk

The problem is the background is the focus. I think the game wouldn't really work if you were distracted by extravagant graphics in the foreground considering you don't really interact with them.

Agnates

Banned
Yeah, I'm sure that was their problem, they couldn't possibly make that pipe cylindrical, it would be distracting, or alter the position of the crates and objects so they aren't in a boring straight line in the 3D space since their shadows would still create platforms for the character, with the light source at the appropriate position. Textures of decent resolution, especially since stuff repeat so much, also would be distracting! And of course it's not like the graphics could be equally good in the foreground and in the background which would then mean the shadows would once again stand out if the appropriate color tones were used </sarcasmedit :p >

I don't really have high hopes for this (It's Hudson after all) but it looks pretty interesting and more platformers are always a good thing so I'm keeping my eyes peeled. The trailer was definitely great so at least they got that one right.

Vagabundo

AniHawk said:
The problem is the background is the focus. I think the game wouldn't really work if you were distracted by extravagant graphics in the foreground considering you don't really interact with them.

I'm sure that it is a problem until you adjust. The challenging part of the game might be retrain your brain.

It's certain piqued my interest in trying it; I enjoy games that challenge how I look at things.

It certainly could be frustrating though.

Agnates

Banned
Btw the website has a "demo" to "play" (not really) and when you "finish" it you get this wallpaper:
wallpaper_1440x900.jpg

It also has lots of screens. Mostly somewhat nicer than those old ones, though many still look bad. Also, some people on page 2 were discussing one particular pretty screenshot. That was concept art.

Just saw the trailer and was pretty impressive actually. Though I don't think I'll bother to pick it up if it's retail. Had it been wiiware I would have been there day 1.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Looks good. Glad to see Wii owners getting something that isn't a guided first person experience, a minigame collection or Imagine: Dickz.

Didn't know they ported Ico to the Wii :p

etiolate

Banned
This is right up my alley. The 'demo' gives a nice little idea of the gameplay. I imagine you'll be shifting shadow lengths as well. It would be cool if moving the butterfly/light source would bend a vertical shadow into a steep hill to slide down or climb.

TunaLover

Looks pretty, the platforming sequences looks very polished, it seems you will have a decent amount of options to build your way through. It could be cool if it have splitted directions, like a pseudo 3D game but with 2D mechanics =D. Like in Paper Mario.

Top Bottom