• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Towerfall sold best on PS4 ($500k sold, 7k units on Ouya)

When other indies see these guys selling 500K+ on the PS4 with more and more customers coming into the fold every day .. yeah ... this thing might challenge Steam soon.

ethomaz

Banned
When other indies see these guys selling 500K+ on the PS4 with more and more customers coming into the fold every day .. yeah ... this thing might challenge Steam soon.
To be fair seems like Awesomenauts and Fez sold more than Towerfall... and SteamWorld Dig come close too.

Indies are selling really good on PS4.

Road

Amazing.... look at the TOP SELLER PSN SALES IN MARCH.

PS4 version did > 247k.

EU.

1. inFamous: Second Son (New)
2. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (New)
4. Thief (New)
7. Awesomenauts Assemble! (New)
8. Fez (New)
19. TowerFall Ascension (New)

US

1. inFAMOUS Second Son
2. METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES
3. Awesomenauts Assemble!
4. Thief
5. FEZ
6. TowerFall Ascension

So... all these games sold more than ~250k thousand downloads?

Missing Asian PSN sales, but still... Sounds wrong.

Are we're sure it's not 50k? I can't watch the video.

We are also ignoring that there's all of April to reach that 500k number.

Indeed. Let's wait for the April PSN best sellers to see if TowerFall is still in.

It was close tho, right?

r0IqJ0n.gif

Bro, that is disturbing on so many levels.

To be fair seems like Awesomenauts and Fez sold more than Towerfall... and SteamWorld Dig come close too.

Indies are selling really good on PS4.

Which is very good to hear as a lover of indie's atm.

Can't wait for games like Rogue Galaxy, OlliOlli, Starbound, Hotline Miami, etc.

Hotline Miami 2 may break 1,000,000+

hawk2025

Not challenge, but if it continues and improves on having careful and almost simultaneous indie releases, it will very much be a viable platform for indies to prioritize.

And that's with "only" 7 million consoles so far.

Come to think of it, the number seems a bit... off. I wouldn't be too surprised if it was 50k total. Hmm.

Dragon

Banned
It's an awesome game that deserves the sales. Can't tell you how much fun I had with beers and a buddy of mine for hours one night a month or so ago.

PC will catch up to and pass the PS4 version shortly. I, along with countless others, are waiting for a steam sale.

And tons of people are waiting for the game to go on sale or free for ps+. I think the real issue that steam has is that they have too many things coming out and games cant get the marketing attention they need to do well. Sometimes a more curated model like PSN does wonders for sales for those who are lucky enough to be part of those marketing deals.

epmode

PC will catch up to and pass the PS4 version shortly. I, along with countless others, are waiting for a steam sale.

It's so, so good. Even the single player mode!

I'm sad because practically no one I saw at PAX East heard of the game and it would have been perfect in the comsole rooms or whatever they were called.

I think most indies know better.

Plus there's no reason to go exclusive since Sony doesn't have any sort of policy that cuts off indies from PC releases. They hyped Octodad quite a bit and weren't bothered with it launching first on PC.

Interfectum

Interesting that it sold more on PS4 than Steam. Could be a sign of an over-saturated market on the Steam store and/or starving gamers on PS4.

ethomaz

Banned
So... all these games sold more than ~250k thousand downloads?

Missing Asian PSN sales, but still... Sounds wrong.

Are we're sure it's not 50k? I can't watch the video.
PS4 version sold the best... 7k for Ouya... 500k all plataform (PC/PS4/Ouya)... so minimum of 247k for PS4.

And yeap... these others games sold more than Towerfall in the biggest markets (US and EU) but you need to face maybe Towerfall sold 150k in US (#6) and 50k in EU (#19).

Edit - I forgot April sales... so the sales in March can be lower.

I'd totally forgotten this was the Ouya golden child. Crazy how no one talked about it until the PS4 release, and then suddenly it was the hot new game everyone had to try. Looks really awful for Ouya.

Not surprised about PC not doing as well, it's really not a conducive setup for local multiplayer in most cases. I mean, you CAN do it, and god knows I spend most of my time gaming on PC, but it wouldn't really occur to me to plug multiple controllers into my PC to play a multiplayer game.

Hellshy.

500k across all platforms with the PS4 version making up most of the total.

Or it could end on on ps+ and there will be potentially even more earnings on ps4 then pc. Why does everything have to be a pissing contest. Congrats to the One developer who created this game. I dont think it would sell as well on pc unless there is online multiplayer added.

Not challenge, but if it continues and improves on having careful and almost simultaneous indie releases, it will very much be a viable platform for indies to prioritize.

And that's with "only" 7 million consoles so far.

Come to think of it, the number seems a bit... off. I wouldn't be too surprised if it was 50k total. Hmm.

Nah he states it is doing well enough to support him for a long time.

You wouldn't get that sort of financial backing from 50,000 sales of a 15$ indie game.

"It's doing definitely well enough for me to support myself for quite awhile. That's really encouraging."

"Another reason it's done so well on PS4 is support from Sony." He added. "They've featured and promoted it really well."

It is front and center on the PSN indies page, along with other sections of PSN. So 500K sales would not shock me.

Isn't 500k for all the platforms?

Yeah. Given that the 3 platforms are Ouya, Steam, and PSN, and they give a number for Ouya, mathematically it's > 246.5k, and realistically, it's probably above 250K. And given that 2 other indie games placed above it in March in the US and EU, that means that, at least right now, there's a very nice amount of sales to be had for indie games on PSN.

hawk2025

PS4 version sold the best... 7k for Ouya... 500k all plataform (PC/PS4/Ouya)... so minimum of 247k for PS4.

And yeap... these others games sold more than Towerfall in the biggest markets (US and EU).

Either way, it sheds a bit of light on Ground Zeroes' digital sales. The game did around 350k physical if I'm not mistaken. 150k or so for digital would be a very high split!

Rolf NB

Look, a PS4 millionaire. And he hasn't even experienced the software gobbling power of the Vita yet. He'll have to build a swimming pool just to store all that money.

Exuro

I'd totally forgotten this was the Ouya golden child. Crazy how no one talked about it until the PS4 release, and then suddenly it was the hot new game everyone had to try. Looks really awful for Ouya.

Not surprised about PC not doing as well, it's really not a conducive setup for local multiplayer in most cases. I mean, you CAN do it, and god knows I spend most of my time gaming on PC, but it wouldn't really occur to me to plug multiple controllers into my PC to play a multiplayer game.
How does it's doing well mean it's not doing well?

ethomaz

Banned

Either way, it sheds a bit of light on Ground Zeroes' digital sales. The game did around 350k physical if I'm not mistaken. 150k or so for digital would be a very high split!
Ohhhhh I forgot that.... April sales... you are right.

But even so the sales of the others Indies (eg. Fez) are really good.

Saty

PS4 version did > 247k.

EU.

3. Call of Duty: Ghosts (1)
4. Thief (New)
5. Battlefield 4 (2)
6. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (3)
8. Fez (New)
9. SteamWorld Dig (New)
10. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (4)
11. FIFA 14 (6)
12. Outlast
13. Assassin’s Creed IV: Freedom Cry (7)
14. Rayman Legends (10)
15. NBA 2K14 (8)
16. Strider (5)
17. Need for Speed Rivals
18. Trine 2: Complete Story
20. Resogun

US

1. inFAMOUS Second Son
4. Thief
5. FEZ
6. TowerFall Ascension
7. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
8. SteamWorld Dig
9. Outlast
10. STRIDER
11. Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
12. Call of Duty: Ghosts
13. Assassin’s Creed Freedom Cry
14. NBA 2K14
15. Battlefield 4
16. Flower PS4
18. Rayman Legends
19. EA SPORTS FIFA 14
20. DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition

Are you trying to suggest that everything above Towerfall did more than ~250k? Because you have one big error. The 250K PS4 figure pertains up to recent days - End of April - while the chart you are using is only for March. Towefall PS4 didn't sell 250k in March.

ethomaz

Banned
Are you trying to suggest that everything above Towerfall did more than ~250k? Because you have one big error. The 250K PS4 figure pertains up to recent days - End of April - while the chart you are using is only for March. Towefall PS4 didn't sell 250k in March.
No. I'm saying digital sales on PS4 is doing amazing... my guesses it that Towerfall did ~100k in US March and ~30k in EU March... that is my minimum guesses with Towerfall doing the minimum of 250k.

Warewolf

This is great news! Kind of obvious though right? How many people have a setup that allows them to have four different local players on PC? Unless there is a multiplayer keyboard option (is there? I haven't played it.) Local multiplayer is always more at home on Consoles.

N.Domixis

Banned

PS4 version did > 247k.

EU.

3. Call of Duty: Ghosts (1)
4. Thief (New)
5. Battlefield 4 (2)
6. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (3)
8. Fez (New)
9. SteamWorld Dig (New)
10. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (4)
11. FIFA 14 (6)
12. Outlast
13. Assassin’s Creed IV: Freedom Cry (7)
14. Rayman Legends (10)
15. NBA 2K14 (8)
16. Strider (5)
18. Trine 2: Complete Story
20. Resogun

US

1. inFAMOUS Second Son
4. Thief
5. FEZ
6. TowerFall Ascension
7. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
8. SteamWorld Dig
9. Outlast
10. STRIDER
11. Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
12. Call of Duty: Ghosts
13. Assassin’s Creed Freedom Cry
14. NBA 2K14
15. Battlefield 4
16. Flower PS4
18. Rayman Legends
19. EA SPORTS FIFA 14
20. DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
Holy fucken chicken shoryuken. Indies are doing great on ps4.

Nice, glad the game is finally getting the exposure it deserves. Surprised it's doing well on PS4 than PC but still, a great achievement nonetheless.

funkypie

Banned
I don't understand why they never added online play for a game like this makes no sense. I have no interest in it until then.

Platy

The Ouya sales probably means that 75% of people who has an ouya has the game =P

Also this makes me want even more for this game to be released in a Nintendo platform to se a comparison on sales
Want to see if the Smash Bros crowd likes another fun 4 player party fighter to wait for Smash bros 4

Also the fact that there are MUCH more people with 4 controllers on WiiU than on PS4

PranooY

I don't understand why they never added online play for a game like this makes no sense. I have no interest in it until then.

It is developed by Matt Thorson alone, so you can't expect too much.
I think not adding online had allowed him time and effort required to polish the game, which is good. Also he said he would add online functionality at a later stage, which would be great I suppose.

Top Bottom