• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Towerfall sold best on PS4 ($500k sold, 7k units on Ouya)

Well that's not really unexpected. Towerfall Ascension is primarily a local MP game and PCs are very rarely positioned in such a way to be good means to play local MP games which probably in turn discourages developers to add local MP to PC games or ports. Vicious cycle and all that

And well Ouya is Ouya so yeah

33,333.33 copies (assuming it's $15 on Ouya also?)
To be fully exact you cant just divide the 500k with 15 because it's between 2 regions with multiple countries with different currencies (and that's assuming every copy was at 15 bucks/euros/whatever, which apparently isn't the case).

MercuryLS

Banned
This game would have been a word of mouth sales monster if it had online MP. I truly believe that. Oh well, here's hoping the creator has made enough bank with this game to pursue it for the sequel.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Well that's not really unexpected. Towerfall Ascension is primarily a local MP game and PCs are very rarely positioned in such a way to be good means to play local MP games which probably in turn discourages developers to add local MP to PC games or ports. Vicious cycle and all that

And well Ouya is Ouya so yeah
Laptops are great for local MP though. It's part of the reason why indies are making them. They all own laptops for development.

18,000 for such a fantastic product that is cheap and right there on PSN is not enough!

Buy it people! BUYYY IT

But hey, as long as the dev. is making money off it, good for him.

it's not confusing to get the controllers like it is for PC

It's not that confusing, is it? The 360 controller is the standard these days, and failing that, there's standard USB controllers. Does he just mean that a lot of people don't have them?

Tagyhag

Ha, I was gonna say, 500k sounded like way too many units for this game, big difference between that and 35k.

It looks neat but with no online multiplayer it's definitely a game made for consoles.

yurinka

Wow, awesome sales! I'm one of these 7K Ouya owners and I can say that these awesome 500K units sold are well deserved. It's a great game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yeah no offense but that's not a compelling local MP experience to the average consumer
A laptop? People that play local multiplayer aren't average consumers anyway. Plus, a 4 player game of Towerfall requires $240 worth of gamepads on the PS4. The niche for that is probably larger on the PS4 but it's not a mainstream activity anymore.

A laptop? People that play local multiplayer aren't average consumers anyway. Plus, a 4 player game of Towerfall requires $240 worth of gamepads on the PS4. The niche for that is probably larger on the PS4 but it's not a mainstream activity anymore.

Eh average consumers were willing to dish out hundreds on rock band and guitar hero every year before the bubble burst and while local MP in general is going the way of the dodo [hopefully indies can jurassic park its ass] I don't see an average consumer setting it up on their laptop but perhaps my vision of what such a consumer would and wouldn't do is swayed by my friends. I do agree it is sadly not very mainstream anywhere anymore besides perhaps Wii U

Eurogamer fucked up the OP. Sorry about that =/

They originally listed as 500k copies sold and it turned out to 500k revenue, thanks to the mods for fixing this.

Saty

Ouya's CEO comment: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-04-28-towerfall-dev-says-ouya-version-sold-around-7-000
Update: Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman has responded to the comments made by Towerfall developer Matt Thorson, saying that the game's success on other platforms is actually evidence that Ouya works as intended.

"21 percent of Towerfall's total revenue comes from Ouya, which is pretty impressive when you consider the legacy and size of the Steam and PlayStation communities," she said in a statement widely circulated to the press. "Plus, Ouya helped put Towerfall and Matt on the map. His story signals that Ouya works: We are finding the next great developers and making them household names, while rewarding their great games with real money in their pocket."

dock

So did 45'000 people spend £150 to buy three additional PS4 controllers?

It's great that the PS4 is getting good couch multiplayer games early on, but the price of controllers is making it less and less likely that we'll see great four player games.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I might double dip and get this for PS4. I just got done playing 8 rounds with kids on my PC WITH 360 controllers. So many lulz.

KoopaTheCasual

I'm so confused by the people bemoaning how expensive 4 player local co-op is. What did you people do before last gen? Controllers weren't exactly $10 back in the day either.

Y0j1mb0

Bought this fantastic game for the PS4 and haven't regretted it. My sons and I roll on it regularly. Awesome stuff.

Donrule01

Banned
Ouya selling 7k units is still good money to the developer. Depending how much it went for its still 70-100 grand gross.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Ouya selling 7k units is still good money to the developer. Depending how much it went for its still 70-100 grand gross.

It is.

But it isn't a ringing endorsement of Ouya as a platform considering this was one of the hardest pushed and most successful games for it.

If this is what the "top game" on the platform does, what about everybody else? I'd guess 95% of the other games for it haven't broken 1,000 units yet.

Phediuk

No online, no buy. I do not have a group of friends who all want to play Towerfall with me who can all come over at the same time and all have PS4 controllers.

The barrier to entry for this game is just too high.

Bought this fantastic game for the PS4 and haven't regretted it. My sons and I roll on it regularly. Awesome stuff.

It's honestly one of the few games in recent memory that I feel bad for people who haven't played it, especially the couch co-op!

Top Bottom