• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Towerfall sold best on PS4 ($500k sold, 7k units on Ouya)

Are you trying to suggest that everything above Towerfall did more than ~250k? Because you have one big error. The 250K PS4 figure pertains up to recent days - End of April - while the chart you are using is only for March. Towefall PS4 didn't sell 250k in March.

Unless the game has gone on sale since the end of March, there's a decent chance that the order of the games hasn't changed very much, meaning that the games that sold more than it in March also sold more than it in April. We'd have to see what the April charts look like to make sure of that, though (which should be coming sometime next week, I would think).

RedAssedApe

Banned
Nice, glad the game is finally getting the exposure it deserves. Surprised it's doing well on PS4 than PC but still, a great achievement nonetheless.

actually makes perfect sense with no online. i dont think pc gamers are used to grouping around a tiny monitor (respective to the size of most tvs)

dLMN8R

Why are we 100+ posts into this thread and no one actually read the article to realize it's $500,000 in sales, not 500,000 copies sold?

Still great for an awesome game, but you're looking at an order of magnitude fewer sales than what the thread is suggesting.

[edit] clearly this was a Eurogamer problem :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Thirst is real! Keep supporting indies ps4-gaf! :)

hawk2025

Why are we 100+ posts into this thread and no one actually read the article to realize it's $500,000 in sales, not 500,000 copies sold?

Still great for an awesome game, but you're looking at an order of magnitude fewer sales than what the thread is suggesting.

Because the article did not say $500,000 originally.

mikeebi3

title fail

"Towerfall sold best on PS4 and grossed $500K overall"

not 500k copies on PS4, 500k earth dollars between all platforms.. you do the math

and I still need more controllers so people can play with me T-T

Tabular

Banned
Who cares if Ouya only sold 1.4% as much as on PS4. It's got so many games we can't be bothered to support any one of them. PS4 NEEDS Towerfall cause that's pretty much all it has... right guys? Lol.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
It's the perfect game to spread naturally. Anyone who plays it with me buys it the moment they can because it plays so damn well.

Super low latency local multiplayer is an easy sell and more devs should realise this.

PranooY

Really crappy that the OP chose to copy/paste pretty much everything from the article except for that detail - the detail that was sitting right in the original article's title.

Yes, But I think its Eurogamer's fault for using $500k and 7k copies in same article.

Ohh, I think they had changed it from 500k copies to 500k $.

Really crappy that the OP chose to copy/paste pretty much everything from the article except for that detail - the detail that was sitting right in the original article's title.

because eurogamer updated the title and added stuff to the original article (Towerfall shifted 500K copies, doing best on PS4)

the original article said shifted 500K and didn't mention anything about $ at all.

Oh that puts this and the PS4 download list into a far better perspective. I mean better as in more normal because 500k copies sounded like really huge (for PC too).

If all the copies sold for 15 bucks (not that exact in reality of course, but just to make this simple) it would be 500k / 15 = about 33k copies across all the platforms. 7k of that for Ouya, so about 26k for PC and PS4 total (and at least 13k+ for PS4).

Still I'd say it's relatively good for the game.

Which is exactly why it may be more attractive to release games on PS4 instead of PC
That's not a reason really. The PC sales are so lucrative that a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise touch the game might end up buying it.

fvng

Towerfall is a couch gaming experience with friends, it's not as fun playing online with friends in front of a computer. I'm not surprised. Playing online on Steam will never be as good as playing in the same room together, now get off my lawn

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
It was close tho, right?

r0IqJ0n.gif

What the actual fuck. That's bordering on Aphex Twin levels of fucked up.

ethomaz

Banned
Guys the original article title and content...

Towerfall Shifted 500K Copies, Doing Best on PS4

Towerfall developer Matt Thorson has revealed to Eurogamer that his retro archery-based competitive multiplayer spectacular has been more successful on PS4 than its PC brethren on Steam.

"It's actually doing better on PS4, but it's still doing well on PC," he said in an interview over Skype. "It's doing definitely well enough for me to support myself for quite awhile. That's really encouraging."

Thorson attributed part of Towerfall's PS4 success on the fact that consoles are generally in people's living rooms, hooked up to their TVs by default, whereas PCs are less frequently set up to entertain groups. "I think it's just a console game, ya know?" he said of Towerfall. "People have controllers - it's not confusing to get the controllers like it is for PC - and people have it in their living rooms already. I think a lot of people still sit down with their friends when they play their consoles, whereas they don't do that on PC. Even if it's a single-player game. I know me and my friends will sit down and one of us will be playing a game while everyone else is just hanging out."

"Another reason it's done so well on PS4 is support from Sony." He added. "They've featured and promoted it really well."

When asked about the original Ouya version of Towerfall, Thorson estimated that it had sold about 7000 copies on the Android console. "Being the best game on Ouya isn't a huge deal, but it is nice. It still sells on there."

Eurogamer contributor Joe Denton adored Towerfall upon its PS4 and PC release last month where it featured some new content and the added "Ascension" subtitle. "This is the type of game that creates memories and dissolves friendships, soundtracked by the pained swears of the defeated and the uproarious cheers of the victors," he wrote in his Towerfall: Ascension review.

Full copy... it was a Eurogamer mistake... they changed the article.

Don't blame the OP.

fvng

Has Kelee Santiago jumped off the sinking ship that is Ouya? I wonder if TGC would take her back with open arms.

Eurogamer is saying it grossed $500k, not sold. Thread is misleading and probably should be fixed or deleted since it's spreading false information.

Dolor

Not surprising it sold better on PS4. Not nearly as many games releasing recently for PS4 as there are for PC, and the early PS4 adopters are probably pretty eager to get their hands on what they can.

hawk2025

I find it interesting that the people complaining about the thread and chastising the OP for not giving the full story are, in the end, the ones that don't understand the full context of how the article and the thread evolved.

And shame on Eurogamer for editing the article with no warning that it has been edited.

Z3M0G

This wasn't even a PS+ free-be right? Holy hell that's impressive!!

If this game sells 500k, what does that tell us about full AAA games like Infameous? Would we assume more or less than 500k?

This wasn't even a PS+ free-be right? Holy hell that's impressive!!

If this game sells 500k, what does that tell us about full AAA games like Infameous? Would we assume more or less than 500k?

$500k accros all platformers not 500k copies, still impressive.

Zia

Wow, so it actually sold pretty well on Ouya (respectively). Unusually poor reporting from Eurogamer.

Biker19

Banned
This game & other games like Dragon's Crown, Demon's Souls, & Dark Souls I & II proves that games don't have to be a blockbuster AAA title to sell well on consoles. :)

It's the word of mouth & how well the games are marketed that sells games.

So 33K copies, minus the 7K copies from Ouya, minus whatever it sold on PC.

Ya, not as impressive then if ~14K people bought your game out of 7 million users

This game & other games like Dragon's Crown, Demon's Souls, & Dark Souls I & II proves that games don't have to be a blockbuster AAA title to sell well on consoles. :)

It's the word of mouth & how well the games are marketed that sells games.
Read it again. Eurogamer fucked up so the OP and the title were wrong. It's 500k bucks revenue so about 33k copies sold in the 3 platforms total.

Top Bottom