• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toy Story 3 too sad for comfort?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darko said:
FUCK YALL

_40873093_brad_bird_getty.jpg

Brad Bird looks like he's ready to slap a bitch.

Captain N

I've enjoyed every single Pixar movie so far..That's probably why I am excited about Toy Story 3, but I am totally holding out hope for it to be good. Newt has got me the most excited though.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Wall-E is the only bad Pixar movie. Overhyped overexplained science-fiction with a terrible 2nd half. I never had a film break my heart so much. It isn't terrible but it is the only one where I felt where its heart was synthetic.

Toy Story 2 was the reason why I gave up all my toys. Before moving to Austin (well now I am moving to Philadelphia perhaps), I didn't have enough room for my old dolls (Baby Smurf, Ernie, My Pet Monster, Alf, etc) in my car even though I never wanted to give them up and someday give them to my kids but I noticed this mexican family was picking up some other toys I left on the curb and the kids were excited to see them so I brought out my old dolls and the kids were even more excited. It made me feel good.

Wall-E is the only bad Pixar movie. Overhyped overexplained science-fiction with a terrible 2nd half. I never had a film break my heart so much. It isn't terrible but it is the only one where I felt where its heart was synthetic.

Care to explain that more? I've always thought the "second half sux" argument was just a way of misunderstanding the true intent of that masterpiece.

AlternativeUlster

1. Ratatouille - *****
2. The Incredibles - *****
(for reference, Iron Giant also gets ***** making Brad Bird the only director that has had all his films be perfect masterpieces so far)
3. Monsters Inc - **** 1/2
4. Toy Story - **** 1/2
5. Toy Story II - **** 1/2
6. Finding Nemo - ****
7. A Bug's Life - ****
8. Cars - ****
9. WALL-E - **

AlternativeUlster said:
1. Ratatouille - *****
2. The Incredibles - *****
(for reference, Iron Giant also gets ***** making Brad Bird the only director that has had all his films be perfect masterpieces so far)
3. Monsters Inc - **** 1/2
4. Toy Story - **** 1/2
5. Toy Story II - **** 1/2
6. Finding Nemo - ****
7. A Bug's Life - ****
8. Cars - ****
9. WALL-E - **

Honestly, this is probably how my list would look, mostly, except WALL-E would also have five stars and Cars would be unrated since I haven't seen it (and have no interest in it, really).

AlternativeUlster

BrandNew said:
Care to explain that more? I've always thought the "second half sux" argument was just a way of misunderstanding the true intent of that masterpiece.

Wall-E was hyped to me as being this hard science fiction masterpiece where the 2nd half end up being this chase fest of Wall-E trying to find Eve, Eve trying to find Wall-E, Wall-E "dies" which was a coward way of causing tension, it breaks everything that the first half established into a generic romp. I don't know what is worse, something that seems to have all this great potential or something that doesn't even have that.

Costanza

Banned
Putting some actual thought into it, my rankings are:

Wall-E - *****
Ratatouille - *****
Toy Story - ***
Toy Story 2 - **
Finding Nemo - **
Monsters Inc - **
A Bug's Life - half a *
Cars - half a *

and I've only seen half of The Incredibles so I can't really give that a score.

AlternativeUlster

The thing with Cars was that I had my expectations really really low, didn't see it until its final weeks at theaters, and then all along while watching it I felt like its heart was in the right place and I could tell that this would be tons of little kid's favorite Pixar film along with Little Nemo.

bartris

Neo Member
Captain N said:
I'm not sure if anyone wants to know the outline of what will happen in Toy Story 3 so I will cover it up with Spoiler tags.

Toy Story 2 Ending
at the end of Toy Story 2 Buzz and Woody make peace with the fact that Andy will grow up one day.

Toy Story 3 opening
Andy grows up and is leaving for college

Toy Story 3 according to IMDB
Woody, Buzz, and the rest of their toy-box friends are dumped in a day-care center after their owner, Andy, departs for college. Meanwhile, Hamm, Rex and Mr. Potato Head begin a quest to find their long lost twin brothers.

I don't know about you guys & gals, but it seems like Toy Story 3 will probably be even sadder than Toy Story 2. I'm not afraid to admit that I may have gotten a little choked up during TS2. I can't see how TS3 won't be sad.

I'd bet money that this is not the real plotline of Toy Story 3. This concept has been floating around for the past decade. There is no reason for Andy to have grown up at all, he is not real, regardless of what period of time has now passed between TS2 and TS3.

I hope that we do get a teaser for TS3 at the beginning of Up!, but I think that Disney may hold that spot for The Princess and the Frog, as they did with Wall E and Bolt and Bolt and Up.

Count me in as someone who welled up at the beginning of Wall E, as someone who deals with loneliness and depression issues, that movie definitely spoke to me from its onset.

agrajag said:
Dude. Dude. Finally got to read that. Holy shit. I don't know if I'll ever be able to watch those movies the same again. Wow. That's like when I read the article pointing out that once WALL-E gave EVE the plant, she became "pregnant". Mind = blown.

bartris said:
I'd bet money that this is not the real plotline of Toy Story 3. This concept has been floating around for the past decade. There is no reason for Andy to have grown up at all, he is not real, regardless of what period of time has now passed between TS2 and TS3.
No, I'm pretty sure that's what it's going to be. The main reason being, they want to END the Toy Story franchise with TS3, and that's the way they've wanted to do it for some time. That's the entire theme of the movie - what will happen to the toys once Andy has grown up and moved on from them.

Kritz

Banned
WordAssassin said:
No, I'm pretty sure that's what it's going to be. The main reason being, they want to END the Toy Story franchise with TS3, and that's the way they've wanted to do it for some time. That's the entire theme of the movie - what will happen to the toys once Andy has grown up and moved on from them.

I know it won't happen, but I would love a sad ending from this. Kind of like in Wall-E,
when he loses his emotions/personality, but sans the "OH IT'S AAAALLLL BETTER" part

Maybe I just want to see a bunch of children cry? I don't know.

Captain N

bartris said:

I hope that we do get a teaser for TS3 at the beginning of Up!, but I think that Disney may hold that spot for The Princess and the Frog, as they did with Wall E and Bolt and Bolt and Up.

Count me in as someone who welled up at the beginning of Wall E, as someone who deals with loneliness and depression issues, that movie definitely spoke to me from its onset.

During up we'll probably see an extended The Princess and The Frog trailer. If you go see it in 3D you'll most likely also be treated to a Toy Story 3D trailer which will be hitting the big screen October 2nd.

wRATH2x

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Let the franchise go please. The plot sounds laughably bad, and I can't believe anyone finds that sad.

Oh yeah.....

Incredibles 2 on the other hand could be fuck awesome. Mr and Mrs Incredible get kidnapped and the kids team up with their superhero grand parents to save them!

Thanks for the contribution.

P.S.

I fucking love Brad Bird,hes work on the simpsons can never be forgotten,but Incredibles is still overrated.

Baconbitz

Banned
Captain N said:
Most of Disney didn't want to do Toy Story 3 in-house. Tom Hanks said he wouldn't come back without Pixar. They booted Michael Eisner out of Disney and bought Pixar.
Who's playing Woody then? If Woody isn't being played by Hanks then it sounds like theatre or not this'll be a cash in unless besides Hanks they have a much of the cast as possible. I know one of the actors died.

bartris

Neo Member
WordAssassin said:
Dude. Dude. Finally got to read that. Holy shit. I don't know if I'll ever be able to watch those movies the same again. Wow. That's like when I read the article pointing out that once WALL-E gave EVE the plant, she became "pregnant". Mind = blown.

Hey, perhaps your right, though it seems to be retreading a little of Jessies story in Toy Story 2. i think it was in the Commentary of that movie that John Lasseter indicated his intentions for a third, but then included the Jessie montage in Toy Story 2 instead.

Baconbitz said:
Who's playing Woody then? If Woody isn't being played by Hanks then it sounds like theatre or not this'll be a cash in unless besides Hanks they have a much of the cast as possible. I know one of the actors died.
Tom Hanks will be reprising his role as Woody, he had however indicated that he was not interested in doing so for the planned Disney Bastard Version of Toy Story 3, that was in production at their Circle 7 Animation (Disneys Pixar sequel studio) before Eisner quit and Iger pulled off the Pixar-Disney merger. Lasseter then closed Circle 7, and the planned Toy Story 3 production that revolved around Buzz Lightyear being recalled, and the Toys having to rescue him again. Also canned I believe was Monsters Inc 2, which is now rumoured to be in production for 2013.

AlternativeUlster said:

And yet many people feel exactly the opposite.

Ratatouille still my favorite Pixar. Just watched it last night again, and it works so perfectly. I love the message that Brad Bird expresses in his films that Anton Ego says best : "Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere". It takes the everyone is beautiful and unique idea that most animated and children fare stuff down our throats but shows it in a more real light. We all have talents, but some are better than others, and most of us just suck at most things. You can see the same theme in The Incredibles, but it's way more literal.

bartris said:
Tom Hanks will be reprising his role as Woody, he had however indicated that he was not interested in doing so for the planned Disney Bastard Version of Toy Story 3, that was in production at their Circle 7 Animation (Disneys Pixar sequel studio) before Eisner quit and Iger pulled off the Pixar-Disney merger. Lasseter then closed Circle 7, and the planned Toy Story 3 production that revolved around Buzz Lightyear being recalled, and the Toys having to rescue him again. Also canned I believe was Monsters Inc 2, which is now rumoured to be in production for 2013.
There were plans for up to Toy Story 5, Monster's Inc 2, Incredibles 2, Finding Nemo 2, and a Finding Nemo TV show. I'm sooooo glad Circle 7 was shut down. Sucks for the people that worked there, but I'm pretty sure most of them were integrated into WDFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom