• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TPCi officially announce Magearna, a new Mythical Pokémon

Nanashrew

Banned
Though I may not like them all, I do have a soft spot for mimic Pokemon like Voltorb, Vanillite and others that imitate man made things.

It's a fairly common trope, Voltorb being the closest of the trope imitating item balls.

The Pokemon world is filled with deception.

The first gen is the best, just look at this master crafted design.

183px-124Jynx_OS_anime.png

Certainly the series has never again made any designs that are on the same level as that masterpiece.

Its not like i dislike every new pokemon design but this one just looks awkward. Why would a robot have this stupid ass ball dress? Just so we can tell that its female?

Because it's clearly designed after a Pokeball and looks like it can roll up into one based on the missing part of the "dress" being on its head.

Gen-wars will never die, will they?

That said, only a couple of Pokémon have ever felt "off" to me design-wise. For whatever reason, I've never warmed up to Keldeo.

250px-647Keldeo.png

Still trying to figure out why.

The Klink line is pretty awesome too with their gimmick of adding new gears while keeping the same basic motion.

klink.gif
klang.gif
klinklang.gif

I just wish Klinklang had a better movepool.

I like the concept, but the way one of their faces disappears is too creepy for me. Maybe it's also the rim?

I like the concept, but the way one of their faces disappears is too creepy for me. Maybe it's also the rim?

If you look closely, the there is still a face. On the Klang you can see two wholes, one circular and one square, and then a small arrow ^ making a slightly different face.

roknin

Looks pretty cool. Darnit now I want Z to happen even more...

I like it. Although people just seem to be making drive-by posts like they hate anything that is 'different' from Gen 1 and 2.

Of course. Easiest way to "look cool" or whatever.

People also have this really weird blindspot for Gen 1 (and rarely 2), where the designs there were apparently perfect and none of the new designs "make sense" or are some weird sign of them "running out of ideas".

...despite most of the designs since being far more rooted in mythology and/or nature, being better explained, and far less generic than earlier generations.

Is it part of a new gen or is it part of the latest gen?

Part of a new gen, in all likelihood.

Like, it's not impossible to think that TPCi and Game Freak have changed their overall strategy to introduce a new Pokémon midway through a generation, but if we assume that Magearna is the first of a new generation, then it fits with the same pattern of beginning to reveal a new generation of Pokémon as soon as they've finished with the previous gen's Mythical Pokémon that they've held to since Gen III was revving up.

Celebi was officially revealed mid-2000 (I think? Serebii's archives don't go back that far); Azurill, Wailmer and Kecleon were revealed March 2001.
Deoxys was officially revealed February 2004; Munchlax was revealed May 2004.
Arceus was officially revealed February 2009; Zorua and Zoroark were revealed February 2010.
Genesect was revealed August 2012; Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie, Xerneas and Yveltal were revealed January 2013.
Volcanion was revealed December 2015, Magearna was revealed February 2016.

RagnarokX

It make sense that magearna is teamed up with volcanion in the movie. She's a steampunk clockwork princess and he's a fire/water monster whose shtick is that he creates steam.

Nightbird

They deserve to be dispelled when they're just generic shitposts without explanations as why they don't like them.

This Pokemon thread is full of negative opinions but the difference is that people aren't being assholes about them. There's a huge difference between "every Pokemon after gen 1 fucking sucks" and "I don't like this Pokemon because reasons"

giphy.gif

When your post is closer to this

Pokemon designs going straight down the toilet.

than to this

Yeah I'm not into its design. It's very...busy and odd looking. And I don't think Pokémon when I see it.

,then you should really not be surprised that everyone jumps on you. Because only one of them doesn't come across as unreasonable.

Part of a new gen, in all likelihood.

Like, it's not impossible to think that TPCi and Game Freak have changed their overall strategy to introduce a new Pokémon midway through a generation, but if we assume that Magearna is the first of a new generation, then it fits with the same pattern of beginning to reveal a new generation of Pokémon as soon as they've finished with the previous gen's Mythical Pokémon that they've held to since Gen III was revving up.

Celebi was officially revealed mid-2000 (I think? Serebii's archives don't go back that far); Azurill, Wailmer and Kecleon were revealed March 2001.
Deoxys was officially revealed February 2004; Munchlax was revealed May 2004.
Arceus was officially revealed February 2009; Zorua and Zoroark were revealed February 2010.
Genesect was revealed August 2012; Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie, Xerneas and Yveltal were revealed January 2013.
Volcanion was revealed December 2015, Magearna was revealed February 2016.
It's unusual and has never happened where the movie stars and debuts two new mythical legendary pokemon from two different generations. Lugia starred in his own movie after Mew and Mewtwo had their movie. Latias/Latios starred in their movie after the last Gen 2 Mythical(Celebi) starred in its own movie. Lucario and Mew were the star of the next movie after the last Gen 3 Mythical pokemon(Deoxys) had its movie. Zoroark and Zorua starred alongside Celebi after the Arceus' movie. The first Gen 6 pokemon to star in a movie didn't happen until after X/Y released.

It's unusual and has never happened where the movie stars and debuts two new mythical legendary pokemon from two different generations. Lugia starred in his own movie after Mew and Mewtwo had their movie. Latias/Latios starred in their movie after the last Gen 2 Mythical(Celebi) starred in its own movie. Lucario and Mew were the star of the next movie after the last Gen 3 Mythical pokemon(Deoxys) had its movie. Zoroark and Zorua starred alongside Celebi after the Arceus' movie. The first Gen 6 pokemon to star in a movie didn't happen until after X/Y released.

That is at least partially down to the limited number of Mythical Pokémon in the earlier generations and the later hype cycles that they used for the latter generations after they got burned by the Diamond and Pearl delay, in fairness. Avoiding revealing Mythical Pokémon concurrently is a lot easier when you've only got one or two a generation. I also don't fundamentally think the exact qualification of the Pokémon revealed matters all that much, in terms of kicking off the reveals.

Also, the intention was absolutely to have Mega Mewtwo Y represent Gen VI in the Genesect movie, and they had Sylveon in the accompanying Pikachu short to boot.

CorvoSol

Can you tell me Gen V's legendary pokemon?

Drill But and it's buddy Blue Eyes White Dragon

One Winged Sephiroth Dragon

My Little Pony

My Three Big Ponies

Red Pikachu

And uh, probably some other bullshit throwaway stuff.

Most of Gen V and VI were good, but dear God this new pokemon looks like ass. And legendary designs have been pretty bad since Gen IV. Which is fair, because unlike Gen V and VI, Gen IV was complete and utter ass in the design department.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I like this fanart (there's been plenty but they're on the other thread)

CbSmoVDUMAIbGqD.png

Though I think rather than Hoopa it should be someone else.

Sure the "let's dispel all negative opinions" isn't missing

the implication that they are worth even noting is hilarious, you make me laugh sometimes

They had pokemon appear earlier though even before the third version came out (stuff like a bunch of Gen 2 mons, Munchlax, etc.). I guess you could argue they are regular mons over legendaries, but still!

Mr-Joker

Banned
They deserve to be dispelled when they're just generic shitposts without explanations as why they don't like them.

This Pokemon thread is full of negative opinions but the difference is that people aren't being assholes about them. There's a huge difference between "every Pokemon after gen 1 fucking sucks" and "I don't like this Pokemon because reasons"

This so much, there is a good reason to why Pokémon fan don't like genwunner and it isn't because they dislike gen 1, but because genwunner are forever stuck in the past and refused to keep up with the time but for some reason feels the need to shit post on the post gen 1 Pokémon despite

A; not touching the game since the original Red and Blue

B; Failing to realise that some Pokémon get rejected or cut before getting recycled again for the later gen, something that we have seen many times over the course of the series 20 years.

This is why I was annoyed that Game Freak and the Pokémon company opting to pander to the genwunner for the 20th anniversary making it a celebration of gen 1 rather than a celebration 20 years of Pokémon as a whole.

Red/blue in the chest piece.

Golden eyelashes, silver gear.

Ruby eyes, Sapphire chest piece

Black and white trim on skirt

Boom.

Means nothing as Magearna would have a Red and Green in the chest piece as Japan got Red and Green, rather than the Red and Blue version that we got.

Top Bottom