• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TPCi officially announce Magearna, a new Mythical Pokémon

JoeM86

Fun fact. I've heard the "_____ looks like a Digimon" for as long as I have been a part of the community. I remember people saying it about this

152.png

Joey Ravn

Banned
Terrible design. Completely unoriginal and unnatural-looking. They should stick to the originals.

What's next? A pokéball pokémon? A couple of magnets stuck together? A pile of toxic mud? A fighting monkey? A cobra? A bull? Eggs?

Gen 1 is the best.

/s

im_dany

I think they're going through a dead end with all those new Pokemons. They should've put the emphasys on new adventures instead of putting out 100+ new creatures every game, and the design is becoming tired after 20 years. If they would've made 2/3 games for each gen now it would feel more fresh IMHO. (not counting parallel games of course)

I'm not saying only the first 151 were good, because there's good Pokemons in the most recent gens too (and bad ones in gen 1/2), but most of them feels like either rehashes of old ones or extremely inconsistent with the rest of the series.
I think the best overall designs were Gen 1 (but that's easy, they didn't have anything before so everything felt new) and Gen 5 (still haven't played B2/W2 because I took a pause from D/P to ORAS, but I bought Black recently and really liked it).

JoeM86

I think they're going through a dead end with all those new Pokemons. They should've put the emphasys on new adventures instead of putting out 100+ new creatures every game, and the design is becoming tired after 20 years. If they would've made 2/3 games for each gen now it would feel more fresh IMHO.

I'm not saying only the first 151 were good, because there's good Pokemons in the most recent gens too (and bad ones in gen 1/2), but most of them feels like either rehashes of old ones or extremely inconsistent with the rest of the series.
I think the best overall designs were Gen 1 (but that's easy, they didn't have anything before so everything felt new) and Gen 5 (still haven't played B2/W2 because I took a pause from D/P to ORAS and bought Black after playing through that one and liked it).

If they were to no longer add new Pokémon, they would lose the huge selling point not just for the games but for marketing. It would cause the series to stagnate and die. New blood is required in the series for it to feel new. If it was just the same Pokémon over and over and over, people would lose interest.

There's also not rehashes. Just because there's a bird doesn't mean it's the same as all other birds. Look at types, movepools, stats, concept etc.. Looks != the entire thing for Pokémon.

Fun fact. I've heard the "_____ looks like a Digimon" for as long as I have been a part of the community. I remember people saying it about this

152.png
The only Pokémon that even remotely looks like a Digimon to me is Galvantula. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean that as an insult, I love Galvantula, but for some reason he reminds me of Digimon and I have absolutely no idea why.

Azuran

Banned
I think they're going through a dead end with all those new Pokemons. They should've put the emphasys on new adventures instead of putting out 100+ new creatures every game, and the design is becoming tired after 20 years. If they would've made 2/3 games for each gen now it would feel more fresh IMHO. (not counting parallel games of course)

Uh, they're not going throught a dead end at all considering Gen VI was one of the strongest set of Pokemon they made so far.

They're not going to stop making new Pokemon considering they're the biggest selling point of the series. Pokemon is way more than just the games.

Uh, they're not going throught a dead end at all considering Gen VI was one of the strongest set of Pokemon they made so far.

They're not going to stop making new Pokemon considering they're the biggest selling point of the series. Pokemon is way more than just the games.
Yeah, Gen V and VI had lots of great Pokémon and there are still an uncountable amount of animals, myths and objects they can base Pokémon on. Also the "rehash" argument has always bothered me, it makes no sense.

Toxi

Banned
The only Pokémon that even remotely looks like a Digimon to me is Galvantula. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean that as an insult, I love Galvantula, but for some reason he reminds me of Digimon and I have absolutely no idea why.
Bisharp is totally a Digimon.

For me it would be Blaziken. I always refer to it as Blazikenmon.

Diffense

Well, I figured that the name would be essentially the Japanese name as that has been the case for most "special" Pokemon in recent times. I'm fine with the name. It seems like a play on Machina, mage and gear.

Unless GF pulls something unexpected Magearna is obviously Steel type. Most Steels have another type and if I were to guess here I'd say she's also Fairy. In the past they might have gone Psychic to reflect the "magical" aspect of the concept but now there's a better choice.

Robin64

I like the notion of a man-made robot from just 500 years ago having the classification "mythical".

I wonder if they'll go into detail of how exactly it's a Pokémon. Like, what is a Pokémon anyway? Deep Monday morning thoughts.

im_dany

If they were to no longer add new Pokémon, they would lose the huge selling point not just for the games but for marketing. It would cause the series to stagnate and die. New blood is required in the series for it to feel new. If it was just the same Pokémon over and over and over, people would lose interest.

There's also not rehashes. Just because there's a bird doesn't mean it's the same as all other birds. Look at types, movepools, stats, concept etc.. Looks != the entire thing for Pokémon.

I'm not saying they shouldn't add more Pokemons, but I'd like to see the B/W->B2/W2 transition more often instead of going new gen with every sequel (or rehashing the first two games in a third one like they did most of the times).
Make 2 (or 3 if it's big enough) different adventures for each gen, make a remake and then the gen is done and you move to the next one.

I know the look isn't everything but it's the first thing you notice, not the movepool or the type. It's something that they're doing slightly better than before (Gen 4 is the worst offender IMHO), but the fact that new Pokemons are already coming out and we haven't even got the 3rd game in Gen 6 makes me worried.

Diffense

I'm not saying they shouldn't add more Pokemons, but I'd like to see the B/W->B2/W2 transition more often instead of going new gen with every sequel (or rehashing the first two games in a third one like they did most of the times).
Make 2 (or 3 if it's big enough) different adventures for each gen, make a remake and then the gen is done and you move to the next one.

I know the look isn't everything but it's the first thing you notice, not the movepool or the type. It's something that they're doing slightly better than before (Gen 4 is the worst offender IMHO), but the fact that new Pokemons are already coming out and we haven't even got the 3rd game in Gen 6 makes me worried.

I'm guessing you're a rather unique case...not wanting new Pokemon. Fortunately they have you guys covered with remakes and re-releases.

If they stopped making new Pokemon for sequels I'd definitely lose interest. If people are calliing NEW Pokemon designs "rehashes" I wonder what they would say if Pokemon games literally always had the original 150 + only a few more, if any. Some people weren't happy with Gen VI's emphasis on Megas and the smaller number of new Pokemon in Kalos compared to Unova.

BTW, I played Gen IV the most of any gen and Empoleon is probably my favorite starter design while Garchomp my favorite pseudo-legendary! I'm guessing that every Pokemon is liked by at least one person. I mean, there are even Garbodor fanboys and girls and that's a bursting bag of garbage...lol.

JoeM86

That's what they are doing so I don't understand your complaint

Espada

I like the notion of a man-made robot from just 500 years ago having the classification "mythical".

I wonder if they'll go into detail of how exactly it's a Pokémon. Like, what is a Pokémon anyway? Deep Monday morning thoughts.

Well, we've had manmade pokemon before. Hell, things like Golurk and Sigilyph are both manmade and at least a thousand years old. I wonder what makes this one mythical beyond a marketing term and stats. Still, it's cool to see what appears to be our first Gen VII critter.

Robin64

Well, we've had manmade pokemon before. Hell, things like Golurk and Sigilyph are both manmade and at least a thousand years old. I wonder what makes this one mythical beyond a marketing term and stats. Still, it's cool to see what appears to be our first Gen VII critter.

Yeah, indeed, and Porygon even. But I do wonder if you can just make a robot in this world and boom, it's a Pokémon. Or if there's more to it. I doubt it'll ever be explored, though.

While I think the "It looks like a Digimon" stuff has always been nonsense (save for a few of the legendary designs), I do think this design is awful if I'm honest.

Looks like the unholy amalgamation between a Klink, Espurr, Leavanny, Diancie and a Pokeball. Can we just go back to having simpler legendary Pokemon again rather than all these overdesigned dragons and whatever, please?

Forkball

Think of Pokemon like trading cards. Do people who play Magic still roll with decks they made in 1996? I doubt it. No one would care about it if they didn't keep churning out a constant supply of expansions. The fact that any gen 1 Pokemon is viable today is a miracle.

Can "it looks like a Digimon" be considered a negative comment anymore? Gaf loves Digimon and the latest entry was quite well received.

RagnarokX

Mythical is just the official classification for event pokemon.

We've had man-made pokemon since the first game.

Artificial Pokemon:
Gen 1:
Porygon: computer program.
Voltorb/Electrode: some pokedex entries say they first appeared at a pokeball plant.
Grimer/Muk: mutated toxic waste.
Mewtwo: bioengineered from Mew's DNA.

Gen 2:
Porygon 2: Porygon gets a firmware upgrade.

Gen 3:
Baltoy/Claydol: Clay figures created by humans that came to life through exposure to mystic rays.
Castform: Created by the weather institute to help predict weather.
Banette: A child's doll that came to life.

Gen 4:
PorygonZ: Another upgrade causes an error.

Gen 5:
Trubbish/Garbador: Garbage mixed with toxic waste and came to life.
Golett/Golurk: golems created by scientists over 1000 years ago.
Genesect: Instead of just reviving a fossil pokemon why not turn it into a cyborg?

Gen ?:
Magearna: mechanical pokemon created 500 years ago.

And then you have pokemon like Rotom and the Aegislash line who are ghosts that possess and use man-made objects as their bodies.

And the weirdest is probably Yamask and Cofagrigus. They're literally the ghosts of dead humans.

Dragun619

yo, Those eyes look like some pair of elton john's early pink shades collection, hah.

But yea, not feeling this design at all.

Forkball

This has been a question for a long time. :p Porygon, one of the original generation of Pokemon, is a computer program. Its evolution, Porygon 2, is an upgrade of the computer program. Porygon 2 has its own evolution, Porygon Z, that's the result of illegal user mods.
Porygon is probably the result of genetic engineering via Mew. Mew is said to have the DNA of all Pokemon, but it should instead be said that all Pokemon have the DNA of Mew. We know for a fact in the games that humans at one point had Mew and used its DNA to create Mewtwo. One can assume that they did many experiments with Mee's DNA, one of which could have been Porygon. How you fuse DNA with computer code, I don't know, it's just one of those science magic things like how Pokeballs work.

Deepest lore.

So she was created 500 years ago, and according to Bulbapedia Pokéballs where first made at least 300 years ago. Based on "findings" on an old ship.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Poké_Ball

So does her design now prove that Pokéballs where already in existence 500 ago, or that they where based on her?

I don't think she looks like a half-millenial old design though, that's my main gripe.

Nightbird

So she was created 500 years ago, and according to Bulbapedia Pokéballs where first made at least 300 years ago. Based on "findings" on an old ship.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Poké_Ball

So does her design now prove that Pokéballs where already in existence 500 ago, or that they where based on her?

I don't think she looks like a half-millenial old design though, that's my main gripe.

Well, it certainty proves that there were attempts to create pokeballs before the apricorns. But outside of that:¯_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah I'm not into its design. It's very...busy and odd looking. And I don't think Pokémon when I see it.

And before everyone jumps on me for saying that (which is happening a lot in this thread), it doesn't mean I think all Pokémon designs are awful these days. It doesn't mean I think the originals are the best. I'm simply not really into this design.

I actually like a lot of modern Pokémon designs, with BW being a highlight for me. Personally I feel Gen IV has the least appealing designs.

Were they drawn to the power-plant due to it's high levels of electric energy, or did that energy spawn them? Pokéballs are already designed to contain a life-force, so empty misplaced Pokéballs lying around or in storage make for prime real-estate.

But are they mimics or spirits of possession?

The deepest lore.

ash_ag

Were they drawn to the power-plant due to it's high levels of electric energy, or did that energy spawn them? Pokéballs are already designed to contain a life-force, so empty misplaced Pokéballs lying around or in storage make for prime real-estate.

But are they mimics or spirits of possession?

The deepest lore.

Voltorb's big secret
but then what is a soul and
what is life?

Its not like i dislike every new pokemon design but this one just looks awkward. Why would a robot have this stupid ass ball dress? Just so we can tell that its female?

So with Volcanion and now this in the movie... There's no Zygarde anymore in it or...?

Zygarde doesn't look like it was ever in it- certainly the reveal trailer back in December gave the impression that it wasn't. Its appearance in the teaser at the end of the last movie seems to just be a general hype thing rather than a specific tease; remember, for example, that Lugia and Ho-oh appeared in the teaser for the Zoroark movie and were nowhere to be seen in the finished product.

Judging by the posters, though, Zygarde Core might still be with the group in the movie, so there's that.

Its not like i dislike every new pokemon design but this one just looks awkward. Why would a robot have this stupid ass ball dress? Just so we can tell that its female?

Because it's a Pokéball!

Top Bottom