• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TPCi officially announce Magearna, a new Mythical Pokémon

Zubz

Banned
I like it, but I also love Golem-esque monsters, and that includes automatons.

With the Zygarde Formes, I just assumed we were waiting on Z, but now I have to wonder if we're looking at Gen 7 coming up here? I mean, ORAS' Megas weren't programmed into XY, so it's entirely possible that Magearna could be locked into a Z version/added via patch.

Either way, something big's definitely coming.

I think it looks ok. Not the biggest fan. Maybe it'll grow on me when I see it animated. Wonder what its midriff is since it has different colors compared to the rest of its body.

kennyamr

Reminds me of
rosie-robot.gif
lol
same

Theorymon

My question is when Pokemon switched from Legendaries to Mythical Pokemon.

AFAIK, Legendaries that are obtainable without events such as say, Articuno and Landorus, are still called "Legendary Pokemon".

Additionally, Pokemon like Groudon and Xerneas have an extra "restricted" qualifier on them.

It's the event Pokemon that are now called Mythical Pokemon, stuff like Mew and now Magearna

Crayolan

Another new artificial pokemon, another day of people complaining about things that have always existed in pokemon as if they are changes.

Pokemon that are based on man-made objects or actually are at least partially man-made:

Wait, how are Gyarados, Meowth, Elekid, and Wobuffet man-made?

Tingle

Meowth has a coin attached to his head, which is man-made.

Elekid's head is literally an electrical plug.

Wobbuffet is a punching bag.

This last one is a stretch, but I think Gyarados is based on those Chinese dragons that people walk under. I disagree on the choice of that one.

They aren't man-made, but are all based on man-made objects (which makes no sense in nature) I guess is their argument.

Elekid's head is literally an electrical plug.

This last one is a stretch, but I think Gyarados is based on those Chinese dragons that people walk under. I disagree on the choice of that one.

Isnt meowth generating coins? payday was his unique move in gen1.

Elekid's head is literally an electrical jack.

Meowth is a maneki-neko.
manekineko.png

RagnarokX

Gyarados is based on Koinobori; a japanese wind sock designed to look like carp. This is why gyardos is water/flying.
Meowth is based on lucky cat statues.
Elekid is an electrical plug.

I said the list included pokemon based on man-made things. Statues and wind socks count even if they make organic creatures out of them.

Toxi

Banned
Gyarados is based on Koinobori; a japanese wind sock designed to look like carp. This is why gyardos is water/flying.
Meowth is based on lucky cat statues.
Elekid is an electrical plug.

I said the list included pokemon based on man-made things. Statues and wind socks count even if they make organic creatures out of them.
It's funny how one of the most impressive and powerful Pokemon ever is based in on a freaking windsock. I guess it's fitting considering what Gyarados evolves from.

Nightbird

Here we go again, another Thread, another time people try to mask their shitpost as criticism.

Here's the ultimate life-hack:
If you are gonna criticize the new designs, you should remember that almost all of your issues also apply to the older Pokémon. If you don't want to be seen as an unreasonable asshole, you gotta explain in detail why you think the newer ones are bad (Tipp: " They are not interesting to me" is actually a valid reason as long as you don't try to generalize based on that)

A manmade gear pokemon made 500 years ago? wat
This is a universe where 3000 years ago a man made an ultimate weapon that fired into the sky and killed countless Pokémon. Oh and firing the weapon had the side effect of making him immortal. What's wrong with a 500 year old robot. Manmade Pokémon also already exist.
The Pokémon world is not our world.

Tingle

Here we go again, another Thread, another time people try to mask their shitpost as criticism.

Here's the ultimate life-hack:
If you are gonna criticize the new designs, you should remember that almost all of your issues also apply to the older Pokémon. If you don't want to be seen as an unreasonable asshole, you gotta explain in detail why you think the newer ones are bad (Tipp: " They are not interesting to me" is actually a valid reason as long as you don't try to generalize based on that)

Yeah, this post is definitely the right way to look at things. I generally favor the first two generations of Pokemon, but not because I find them superior, its just pure preference. Also, people pretending there are no good designs out of the hundreds of Pokemon added since Gen 1 aren't doing themselves any favors, and pretty clearly are just dismissing the series at that point.

That, and I typically like the man-made Pokemon. Just because you don't one uncommon archtype of Pokemon, it doesn't make the other ~100 Pokemon in that generation any worse.

It kinda looks like a nurse as well. Maybe it's a Pokemon Center in Pokemon form, stick a pokeball in that hole in it's midriff and it heals the Pokemon inside.

Lanrutcon

I'm confused.

What qualifies a robot as a Pokemon, since it's not a natural species? Can any machine be a Pokemon? Is it just a matter of age, or functionality, or does the machine need some kind of driving AI to give it the semblance of sentience? Doesn't that mean that corporations could create killing machines and enter them into the Pokemon World Championship?

"Next up, Ash's Pikachu vs Cybertronics Inc's newest mobile weapons platform!"

:p

spiritfox

I'm confused.

What qualifies a robot as a Pokemon, since it's not a natural species? Can any machine be a Pokemon? Is it just a matter of age, or functionality, or does the machine need some kind of driving AI to give it the semblance of sentience? Doesn't that mean that corporations could create killing machines and enter them into the Pokemon World Championship?

Pikachu would probably win since he can overload the robot.

Toxi

Banned
I'm confused.

This has been a question for a long time. :p Porygon, one of the original generation of Pokemon, is a computer program. Its evolution, Porygon 2, is an upgrade of the computer program. Porygon 2 has its own evolution, Porygon Z, that's the result of illegal user mods.

I'm confused.

I assume sentience would be a big deciding factor.

Azuran

Banned
Pokemon threads in Gaming side are the worst. Someone create a bingo already for all the dumb stuff people tend to say. I think we got at least 2 of them in the first page alone.

This has been a question for a long time. :p Porygon, one of the original generation of Pokemon, is a computer program. Its evolution, Porygon 2, is an upgrade of the computer program. Porygon 2 has its own evolution, Porygon Z, that's the result of illegal user mods.
Porygon is the original Digimon.

RagnarokX

It kinda looks like a nurse as well. Maybe it's a Pokemon Center in Pokemon form, stick a pokeball in that hole in it's midriff and it heals the Pokemon inside.

Where do you live where nurses wear crinoline ball gowns?
OjZRUTt.jpg

Magearna's gown has scallop patterns on it that look like ruffles or sashes and the bottom part looks like sashes or an under dress.

FSLink

Banned
Pokemon threads in Gaming side are the worst. Someone create a bingo already for all the dumb stuff people tend to say. I think we got at least 2 of them in the first page alone.

The shit-posting is so terrible.
I don't even like this design but at least I don't say lazy shit like "lolz only the first 151 were any good".

It also derails any Pokemon topic. /sigh

Porygon is the original Digimon.
Porygon shinkaaaaaaaaa

Top Bottom