• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TPCi officially announce Magearna, a new Mythical Pokémon

We're having an awful lot of new Pokemon appearing in the anime without much information given to us about how they'll be handled in the games lately, aren't we?

I mean, first the Zygarde forms and now this.

so what else is missing in the "Pokemon thread in Gaming board" checklist? We already got "Digimon", "designs after Gen 1 are shit", "they're lazy/not trying anymore", "GIF replies"...

I feel like it's still missing one more in the checklist but I couldn't put my finger.

I think it's "I remember when Pokémon were based on animals."

Delio

Going by this thread a lot of people missed the last one. That or it's just drive by shit posting. EITHER WAY I still like Magearna and I wonder what type she will be. Still banking on Steel/Fairy.

Pokemaniac

We're having an awful lot of new Pokemon appearing in the anime without much information given to us about how they'll be handled in the games lately, aren't we?

I mean, first the Zygarde forms and now this.

Zygarde forms are admittedly unusual, though not unheard of. This is pretty clearly a tease of Gen VII, which we're at about the right time to start getting.

Toxi

Banned
Deoxys isn't supposed to be a Pixie legendary like Magearna. He's closer to Darkrai and Genesect than Mew and Manaphy.
Magearna is not confirmed to be a pixie. If anything, it resembles Diancie, who is not a pixie.

I don't like it. Too much going on, why does the ancient robot need gold plated rabbit ears or obnoxious eyelashes? Yah we get it's feminine from the pokeball dress, that's actually pretty cool. The eyelashes on the other hand are overboard

meme opinion coming through.
The rabbit ears actually are part of its gimmick; it can fold into a Pokeball shape.

RagnarokX

Another new artificial pokemon, another day of people complaining about things that have always existed in pokemon as if they are changes.

Pokemon that are based on man-made objects or actually are at least partially man-made:

uLr1ICC.png

I don't like it. Too much going on, why does the ancient robot need gold plated rabbit ears or obnoxious eyelashes? Yah we get it's feminine from the pokeball dress, that's actually pretty cool. The eyelashes on the other hand are overboard

meme opinion coming through.

Pretty sure they're meant to evoke pigtails rather than bunny ears.

Sterok

So we have a probably gen 7 Pokemon announced, yet Floette-Eternal is still not officially announced. How very odd.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think it's "I remember when Pokémon were based on animals."

Aha! Thanks!

Going by this thread a lot of people missed the last one. That or it's just drive by shit posting. EITHER WAY I still like Magearna and I wonder what type she will be. Still banking on Steel/Fairy.

Latter. The previous thread also wasn't "attractive" enough (they wouldn't know Coro Coro)

So we have a probably gen 7 Pokemon announced, yet Floette-Eternal is still not officially announced. How very odd.

As many have said before we'll likely get a final Gen VI game this year with Gen VII next year. I don't think they'll actually announce Gen VII until after the final Gen VI game comes out.

Magearna isn't even that bad, its story fits its actual design, its a man-made pokemon by using machines unlike Mewtwo who was a direct clone of Mew.

Lebon14

if the other thread is to be believed, many people like it and the usual haters are drive-by shitposters (i.e. they never bothered the more "subtle" original thread)

it's the usual Gaming Pokemon thread

So, in other words, the usual Super Paper Mario screenshot applies:

So, I stand by my opinion: it's a pretty darn cool design!

EDIT: instead of "games I never played", it's "stuff I don't like and to shit on those who do by posting negative comments"

Zygarde forms are admittedly unusual, though not unheard of. This is pretty clearly a tease of Gen VII, which we're at about the right time to start getting.
It's actually kinda early. The Zygarde form is clearly teasing Pokemon Z, on top of naming the anime, Pokemon XY&Z. Given the higher sales of B2/W2, I can see them doing something similar with it being a sequel and a new section of Kalos is unlocked. Now while I'd love another half generation of Pokemon to be in Z like some have speculated, that's not realistic. However, I really don't think one new pokemon in Z is a big deal. I'd say the most likely thing is the Volcarona distributed will unlock a special event in Z to get Magearna. Especially since Gen 6 is the only gen missing that Mythical legendary with Mew stats.

I don't see them teasing two unanounced games. Especially when the recent few gens, they reveal the first new pokemon the same year the game releases.

Toxi

Banned
Let’s dispel once and for all with this fiction that Gamefreak doesn’t know what it's doing. It knows exactly what it’s doing.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
chances of Magearna getting "folded"/"compact" mode?

then again Genesect has that but in the games it's only its "come out" animation

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
If by "just had" you mean nearly 6 years ago, then sure.
Oh man, it was that long ago huh. Time sure does fly!

I also didn't notice the little feet or the huge ear things. I probably would have preferred if it looked a little more robotic and... artificial.

Pokemaniac

It's actually kinda early. The Zygarde form is clearly teasing Pokemon Z, on top of naming the anime, Pokemon XY&Z. Given the higher sales of B2/W2, I can see them doing something similar with it being a sequel and a new section of Kalos is unlocked. Now while I'd love another half generation of Pokemon to be in Z like some have speculated, that's not realistic. However, I really don't think one new pokemon in Z is a big deal. I'd say the most likely thing is the Volcarona distributed will unlock a special event in Z to get Magearna. Especially since Gen 6 is the only gen missing that Mythical legendary with Mew stats.

I don't see them teasing two unanounced games. Especially when the recent few gens, they reveal the first new pokemon the same year the game releases.

It's far more likely that Volcanion will get a new form in Z rather than unlocking Magearna.

The fact that Z hasn't been announced yet really doesn't preclude new generation teases. This situation has happened before, with Munchlax and Emerald, specifically.

V-Faction

I'll give my honest opinion, since I neglected to in the initial reveal thread:

Not a fan. I'm not into girly-sweet styled Pokemon. I love me some artificial Pokemon like Metagross, Magnezone, Klinklang and Aegislash, but that's not a factor here--it's the maid look, it's the pokeball dress. Lopunny, Leavanny, Bellossom, Lilligant... was never really into those fancy-shmancy delicate designed Pokemon.

And, it's another mythical, a.k.a. who knows when/where we'll get it. It could honestly be a cool and useful Pokemon... that we have almost zero chance of using in a normal run. Ho-hum.

Arcia

Banned
It looks really cute, I like it! Also the entire concept of an ancient man made automaton Pokemon is awesome.

RagnarokX

I'll give my honest opinion, since I neglected to in the initial reveal thread:

Not a fan. I'm not into girly-sweet styled Pokemon. I love me some artificial Pokemon like Metagross, Magnezone, Klinklang and Aegislash, but that's not a factor here--it's the maid look, it's the pokeball dress. Lopunny, Leavanny, Bellossom, Lilligant... was never really into those fancy-shmancy delicate designed Pokemon.

And, it's another mythical, a.k.a. who knows when/where we'll get it. It could honestly be a cool and useful Pokemon... that we have almost zero chance of using in a normal run. Ho-hum.

I think it looks more like a magical girl princess than a maid. The pokeball dress looks like a ball gown. A poke ball gown. Way too fancy for a maid. The gear is more like a tiara/diadem/crown than a maid headband. In fact the crown is like the statue of liberty's, kinda.

So there is totally going to be some sort of shield crest that can be installed on the front right? The eyes appear to be evoking oscilloscopes with the eye lashes as steam vents. The central gauge is throwing me off. I get the idea of the arrows is to measure pressure but I don't understand the meaning of blue and pink. Maybe it can change the level of pressure giving it different abilities (or types) which can be represented by where the arrows are pointing to? Or maybe it builds up pressure over time?

Arcia

Banned
So there is totally going to be some sort of shield crest that can be installed on the front right? The eyes appear to be evoking oscilloscopes with the eye lashes as steam vents. The central gauge is throwing me off. I get the idea of the arrows is to measure pressure but I don't understand the meaning of blue and pink. Maybe it can change the level of pressure giving it different abilities (or types) which can be represented by where the arrows are pointing to? Or maybe it builds up pressure over time?

Obviously that's where the Fire Emblem goes, duh.

RagnarokX

blue = less
red = more
It's just markings for the arrows. Or a temp gauge.

And yeah; the way the lines are drawn implies that some shield-shaped crest is missing from the dress. Maybe it's a hold item that gives her a special form.

Ivan 3414

It's like they just stopped trying after gen 1. The designs just continue to get worse

It's like they kept trying after gen 1, the designs continue to be good.

It's like they all just stayed consistently the same, all gens have good and bad

Let’s dispel once and for all with this fiction that Gamefreak doesn’t know what it's doing. It knows exactly what it’s doing.

I'm loving this series of posts

Top Bottom