• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tracer's butt victory pose will be removed from Overwatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

LycanXIII

Not sure if serious. In the game it's from the back.
dNjMwWY.png

Her breast is still pretty emphasized there.

I guess the times where you had the freedom to create whatever type of character you wanted and make them with any characteristics you wanted, be it sexy or not, are over.

Fan reaction (apparently a very vocal minority in this case considering the pools and petitions) always wins in the end and the companies can't really ignore them anymore, they need to cater to everyone.

Puritan America wins again...

Widowmaker is still in the game.

Yukinari

This.

I dont even know what to think... its okay to shoot people in the face or do violence on them with weapons... but a butt is NOT OKAY... what? He didnt care that men were shooting women (or women shooting men, or men shooting men, or humans shooting monkeys) but yoga-pants-butt is where we flip our shit? I dont get it...

He should buy her Mortal Kombat X. After all its only a few organs and spines.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Not sure if serious. In the game it's from the back.
dNjMwWY.png
So she's meant to appear as though she's looking behind herself is what you're saying and that what you posted earlier was disingenuous in regards to where her eyes were directed?

stufte

Not showing the female characters butt in a sexualize manner?

Blizzard seems to think so.

They never spoke to it being pandering or not. They just said they didn't want to offend anyone, which is a weak reason all day long.

And if you think that's what sexualized looks like, don't go out in public in the summer, women wear yoga pants.

Riposte

First they came for my Xenoblade g-strings, and I did not speak out because Potato-chan is fucking uguuly.

Then they came for the butt slap, and I did not speak out because Mika is a shit character, should have been Makoto.

Then they came for the butt pose, and I did not speak out because there is a hundred of these moba-shooter shits now, one of them has to get it right.

Then they came for my butt - and there was no one left to speak for me.

Hopefully Spider-Butt is safe, but you never know. the war on butts continues unabated.

You didn't answer my questions at all. So does that mean all characters? What's your stance on the widow maker pose? You keep saying you aren't for puritanical practices but I'd like to get your opinion of what that means.

For the characters that are its appropriate for. Widow Maker is one such character that I feel is appropriate but even still people dislike her for being sexulized. There's nothing puritanical in asking for female characters to more than doa extreme characters.

Renkax

After Mika's CA booty spank got removed. Any other booty being patched out has no match. 😤

But sad that they did it.

Jarmel

Banned
For the characters that are its appropriate for. Widow Maker is one such character that I feel is appropriate but even still people dislike her for being sexulized. There's nothing puritanical in asking for female characters to more than doa extreme characters.

Somehow I don't think we've reached DOA levels. Just a wild assumption on my part.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mercy is probably about halfway between Widowmaker and Tracer on the sexuality scale. If you look at her costumes or her Halloween outfit in the Recall trailer it's clear she is meant to be much more flirty than Tracer, but not "I left half my armor at home, and let me put up my kiss spray," like Widowmaker.

I think if they noticed they had something like this pose for Mei or Zarya, it would also be removed though, because again it doesn't fit those characters' personality.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
But if you read most of these posts people are saying shes not sexualized. Shes being coy. But for some reason because you can see a woman from behind in skin tight clothing then suddenly its sexual. And no she doesn't have a "please stare at my ass" look in her eyes or pose that suggests that. The majority seems to feel the same. And I'm not saying that to speak up against censorship. I'm saying that because as an adult grown male I never looked at this pose and thought "look at her trying to show off her ass". I look at certain games and think "yea they know what they're aiming for" but this pose to me isn't that.

I don't necessarily disagree on Tracer not 'drawing' attention to her ass 'herself' in the pose, but it doesn't mean that others won't take it in a different way than Blizz intended, or, apparently, desires for that character.

Presumably, putting a larger context to the short and not-so-great-worded Blue Post, Blizz removing the pose is being done to pull Tracer more in-line with that they want the character to depict (after realization from a fan that it could be construed differently)

Basically, it has very little to do with what the consumers want, it's more focused on what Blizz wants to be producing, content-wise.

At least....that's what I'm assuming is part of the intent of the Blue Post, insofar as removing the pose for Tracer, yet leaving Widowmaker alone.

LiK

Mercy is probably about halfway between Widowmaker and Tracer on the sexuality scale. If you look at her costumes or her Halloween outfit in the Recall trailer it's clear she is meant to be much more flirty than Tracer, but not "I left half my armor at home, and let me put up my kiss spray," like Widowmaker.

Nirolak, my man!

Oh, so there's no strong defense for the pose to stay and instead we're going to try and make some weird leaps in logic to link guns as being hypocritical?

Oh, so there's no strong defense for the pose to stay and instead we're going to try and make some weird leaps in logic to link guns as being hypocritical?
No strong defense for it to go either but i love how both sides like to dismiss each other keep going.

Options hurt no one

MogCakes

It's always a dicey line with fictional characters. Your female clothing is wearing tight yoga pants? Are you a male or female? Suddenly the identity and motive of the creator comes into question. What of the case of different interpretations of a fictional character? "I don't care that you, the creator, intended for her to have a sense of sexuality. My interpretation of her is that she is non-sexual and I demand you cater to my version."

I know little about Overwatch or the character Tracer however, so I can't say anything specific or make any conclusions. All I know is she's wearing tight butt-hugging yoga pants and if she isn't supposed to be sexual then her visual design in the ass department doesn't make sense.

TheHater

I see girls at the gym and the beach with a lot less on posing. Should we ban/ask them to stop?

People bitch about every little things these days.

I didn't bring up DOA and that extreme case that was you to try and shortcut the discussion. I'm trying to pinpoint your point of view with actual examples and all you do is dodge them. You have a very strong opinion on the matter so I figured you'd have a clear set of dos and donts since you are clearly for this change.

So if Blizzard changes widow maker's pose you'd be against it then? Even though it's in the same game, where the same kid can be "exposed to it"

sonicmj1

It bugs me that someone can post "this doesn't fit with my interpretation of the character so it shouldn't exist in a game," and despite a clear majority of the comments disagreeing with that person, the dev removes the option from the game. If it's a selectable option, the more sensible response is "cool, it's not required, so don't use it if you don't want."

I mean... Tracer wanting to look cute and striking a pose like that seems EXACTLY like Tracer to me, based on everything I've seen of Tracer. The "hey, she's spunky and wholesome" thing just seems like really fucking weird projection.

If the developers didn't want to do it, there was very little pressure forcing them to remove the pose.

As you said, one person made one forum post, and they didn't get all that much support on the forum either. So if their views were completely without merit, it would have been very, very easy for Blizzard to ignore the thread completely, or to do as you suggested. Very few people would blame them.

What this tells me, considering that this decision probably took the approval of a bunch of people on the team, is that Blizzard was sympathetic to that poster's view of who Tracer was, and they decided after reading the arguments for and against in that thread that her character would be better served without that pose in the end.

Whether they're right or wrong is one thing (I don't think it matters all that much either way), but I don't think you can look at what led to their decision and say that they were somehow forced into it. And if Blizzard decides during the beta phase of their game that they want to change something, I can't really get too upset about them exercising that right.

I think if they noticed they had something like this pose for Mei or Zarya, it would also be removed though, because again it doesn't fit those characters' personality.

Yeah! Besides everyone knows Symmetra is the best looking woman, tracer who?

Work with what you got, man. It's a pose. Frankly I find the belief that because Tracer is fun and silly and a good friend, she can't do anything remotely sexy is a bit silly, I think it draws a false dichotomy. But what's done is done. Shit's out. It'll be alright.

I see girls at the gym and the beach with a lot less on posing. Should we ban/ask them to stop?

People bitch about every little things these days.

Big difference between real-life people going out in public to do stuff of their own volition and a fictional character.

I guess the times where you had the freedom to create whatever type of character you wanted and make them with any characteristics you wanted, be it sexy or not, are over.

Fan reaction (apparently a very vocal minority in this case considering the pools and petitions) always wins in the end and the companies can't really ignore them anymore, they need to cater to everyone.

People are free to create whatever character they want, and people are also free to critique things. Creators are free to take that feedback into account and do with it as they will. It's always been that way.

Lime

The whole "American Puritanism, why are guns okay but sex is bad?" thing is just a narrow-minded excuse for appealing to straight dudes.

So not only it is a false dichotomy, but it's also just an excuse for straight dudes to keep on getting the same type of narrow definition of sexuality.

It serves as a good litmus test though

I think you can only get really mad about this if it was a total tonal swap for the whole game. If suddenly Widowmaker changed, Mercy was even more toned down, etc. At that point you can argue, wait the actual artistic themes of this game are being compromised.

As is Tracer isn't a traditional "Sexy" character like Widowmaker so I could see them changing the pose. On a personal level I'm not thrilled its being changed but also not furious about it. I just don't think the pose is very overtly sexual at all.

But at the end of the day this isn't that big a deal. I think the Mika butt slap has a lot more weight for outright censorship as that is a clearly sexualized character anyways.

I didn't bring up DOA and that extreme case that was you to try and shortcut the discussion. I'm trying to pinpoint your point of view with actual examples and all you do is dodge them. You have a very strong opinion on the matter so I figured you'd have a clear set of dos and donts since you are clearly for this change.

So if Blizzard changes widow maker's pose you'd be against it then? Even though it's in the same game, where the same kid can be "exposed to it"

I wouldn't mind it.

they have the freedom to do whatever they want

Blizzard is choosing to react to public outcry.

this is the same Blizzard that tries to make every game for everyone instead of just trying to make something as good as it can possibly be even if it means fewer people will like it

It bugs me that someone can post "this doesn't fit with my interpretation of the character so it shouldn't exist in a game," and despite a clear majority of the comments disagreeing with that person, the dev removes the option from the game. If it's a selectable option, the more sensible response is "cool, it's not required, so don't use it if you don't want."

Devs are afraid of controversy these days. They might actually have to defend their decisions.

No strong defense for it to go either but i love how both sides like to dismiss each other keep going.

Options hurt no one
Well, I'm seeing one side trying to somehow link this to guns to create a better defense, while the other is leaping to... nothing? Agreeing that Widowmaker still having the pose is fine?

No one is asking to take butts away. They're asking for character personalities to stay within their realm in a personality driven game. It took 3 days for Blizzard to seemingly shrug and come to the same conclusion.

Kinyou

No one is asking to take butts away. They're asking for character personalities to stay within their realm in a personality driven game. It took 3 days for Blizzard to seemingly shrug and come to the same conclusion.
But when you read their response they didn't come to that conclusion at all. Instead it's about not offending anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom