• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania Turbo announced (PC/PS4/X1) TM2 Environments + 1 New

Skyzard

Banned
This had a random track creator thing, which is awfully cool. If that VR shoutout is real... then holy shit.

Nah it's decent! I missed the trailer link somehow and was looking at the screenshots...probably coming in super cynical from the ED and battlefront news stuff too.

Track platform looks great, environment additions are nice - Japanese style building lights are awesome.

Definite buy.

Kumubou

The Trackmania games are really, really good and I'm glad Ubisoft and Nadeo are continuing with the series after what happened with Trackmania 2.

Are the created tracks cross-platform? It seems like an insane question to ask, but given Microsoft's sudden about face with that and some of Bethesda games offering that now, who knows. If you're not aware, the community for these games goes absolutely nuts with the editor -- it's glorious. I know Nadeo's biggest complaint regarding console versions previously was a lack of modding support on consoles, so either that's been addressed or Ubisoft threw a bunch of money at them and told them to stick it in their ears.

Oh man, the VR support -- people's bodies aren't ready.

sn00zer

The Trackmania games are really, really good and I'm glad Ubisoft and Nadeo are continuing with the series after what happened with Trackmania 2.

Are the created tracks cross-platform? It seems like an insane question to ask, but given Microsoft's sudden about face with that and some of Bethesda games offering that now, who knows. If you're not aware, the community for these games goes absolutely nuts with the editor -- it's glorious. I know Nadeo's biggest complaint regarding console versions previously was a lack of modding support on consoles, so either that's been addressed or Ubisoft threw a bunch of money at them and told them to stick it in their ears.

Oh man, the VR support -- people's bodies aren't ready.

For the first time Uplay might actually be a good thing if they can do this

"Are the created tracks cross-platform? It seems like an insane question to ask, but given Microsoft's sudden about face with that and some of Bethesda games offering that now, who knows. If you're not aware, the community for these games goes absolutely nuts with the editor -- it's glorious. I know Nadeo's biggest complaint regarding console versions previously was a lack of modding support on consoles, so either that's been addressed or Ubisoft threw a bunch of money at them and told them to stick it in their ears."

After all the work Nadeo's put into their online platform for TM2 (which was their "reasoning" for not releasing on steam initially), you'd think it should be able to support sharing tracks cross platform.

It should be a digital only release. I doubt this will go anywhere if it is a boxed, full priced game. More like a Trials-esque game if anything.

Yeah that was my thinking. I definitely put it in the same league as trials, that one more go crack.

Really hope it has the simultaneous multiplayer as well. That was our go to lunchtime game in at least 2 offices I've worked in.

gillty

Banned
So this is releasing on PC? Is Trackmania 2 dead?

I guess its been 4 years now since Canyon, and Maniaplanet never really went anywhere. I always had the impression that Nadeo really had no idea what they were doing.

SigSig

I guess its been 4 years now since Canyon, and Maniaplanet never really went anywhere.

Don't forget Valley! nd people are actively building new gamemodes for Maniaplanet. It really isn't as dead as people are making it out to be. It WAS however an even bigger fail of communication than the Wii U.

"I guess its been 4 years now since Canyon, and Maniaplanet never really went anywhere. I always had the impression that Nadeo really had no idea what they were doing."

You may not have noticed, but Valley (And stadium 2) were released 2 years ago.

I'm guessing this is going to be the equivalent of Trackmania United Forever for Trackmania 2. Stadium, Valley, Canyon, and Lagoon in one package.

Lemonte

I guess its been 4 years now since Canyon, and Maniaplanet never really went anywhere. I always had the impression that Nadeo really had no idea what they were doing.

I'm still playing Canyon daily. I love how canyon car handles. I'm not going to abandon it completely.

sn00zer

"I guess its been 4 years now since Canyon, and Maniaplanet never really went anywhere. I always had the impression that Nadeo really had no idea what they were doing."

I'm guessing this is going to be the equivalent of Trackmania United Forever for Trackmania 2. Stadium, Valley, Canyon, and Lagoon in one package.

I really hope they release these settings, current setting seems a bit too busy for the gameplay

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
kinda fun to see console people pleasantly surprised by how fun Trackmania looks, since it has been on PC for so long

it's surprisingly easy to forget its fundamental coolness until you see somebody else excited

Be aware though, that it's not like other racers you'd play because there is no car-on-car collision, since it's entirely a time trial focused game. This is something they were very careful not to show in the footage at the conference.

All the other cars on the track are essentially just real-time ghosts of what other players are doing at the moment.

gillty

Banned
Don't forget Valley! nd people are actively building new gamemodes for Maniaplanet. It really isn't as dead as people are making it out to be. It WAS however an even bigger fail of communication than the Wii U.

Sure, but how were sales?

The only affect those releases had on me as a Canyon player was an ever shrinking player base via fragmentation. Canyon did okay, but it never really took off, and the community was pretty unhealthy.

I hope this is United Forever for TM2.

I'm still playing Canyon daily. I love how canyon car handles. I'm not going to abandon it completely.
I agree that the Canyon car really was the best. Have hundreds of hours in Canyon.

Skyzard

Banned

Hmm that was my first impression but at least they added some stuff too :) My own fault anyway for not playing them much apart from canyon and a bit of stadium I guess.

Trackmania lives on, that's fine.

sn00zer

Im wondering how to set up my controller because im so used to using the arrow keys....maybe L1 and R1 to turn, X to accelerate, down on dpad to brake

JP

So happy about this, my favourite thing this E3 so far. Always really liked the look of TrackMania but this will be my first one so cam't wait.

Kumubou

With all of the crap Trackmania 2 gets, I really hope they run back Canyon and Valley, as those are the two most fun environments in the entire series for me. Stadium is obvious as it's the most popular (since it's what the free version of the game used back in Trackmania Nations) and it's also the easiest to drive (as the cars are absurdly grippy). So for anyone not familiar with the series and has even a halfway decent PC, go download Trackmania Nations Forever, as it's completely free.

It should be a digital only release. I doubt this will go anywhere if it is a boxed, full priced game. More like a Trials-esque game if anything.
You know Trials Fusion had a retail release, right? I could see a similar setup here working, where the base game is a cheap(ish) digital release and the retail release is more expensive, but comes with a season pass for all of the DLC.

LONG LIVE CLOSED WORLD ARCADE RACING!
They're corridor racers, get it right. :V

After all the work Nadeo's put into their online platform for TM2 (which was their "reasoning" for not releasing on steam initially), you'd think it should be able to support sharing tracks cross platform.
You would think, but RedLynx put a ton of effort into Track Central for Trials and they couldn't use that across platforms, although Microsoft's policies may have been the big hang-up there (which is now resolved). At least they were able to push out community featured tracks to all of the platforms, and Nadeo could probably do the same thing if it came down to that.

Top Bottom