• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania Turbo announced (PC/PS4/X1) TM2 Environments + 1 New

SigSig

At this point, they should just upgrade all copies of Trackmania² to a full Trackmania² release made of Canyon, Valley, Stadium and Lagoon.
Nadeo please :( PLEASE :(
You already did stuff like this, it wouldn't even be a stretch.

Also, as long as Trackmania Turbo is manialink-enabled, the infrastructure for sharing tracks crossplatform is already there.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
kinda fun to see console people pleasantly surprised by how fun Trackmania looks, since it has been on PC for so long

it's surprisingly easy to forget its fundamental coolness until you see somebody else excited

Be aware though, that it's not like other racers you'd play because there is no car-on-car collision, since it's entirely a time trial focused game. This is something they were very careful not to show in the footage at the conference.

All the other cars on the track are essentially just real-time ghosts of what other players are doing at the moment.

The trackmania multiplayer/time trial mashup is what makes Trackmania so fun. No need to hide it when it's the defining feature of the game. The problem with most driving multiplayer games is that one mistake and then you're out of it for the rest of the race, which is madly stressful and frustrating. With Trackmania, there's always a chance you'll clock the game winning time on that next reset, no matter how badly you did on the first run.

They only hid it because clipping into ghosts just doesn't look great graphically.

Though it seems like it'd be a little more boring without a keyboard to chat with people and weird server mods.

Skyzard

Banned
At this point, they should just upgrade all copies of Trackmania² to a full Trackmania² release made of Canyon, Valley, Stadium and Lagoon.
Nadeo please :( PLEASE :(
You already did stuff like this, it wouldn't even be a stretch.

Also, as long as Trackmania Turbo is manialink-enabled, the infrastructure for sharing tracks crossplatform is already there.

Lagoon?

Also, but I paid for those :p Why would you expect them for free? Because some of them didn't really deliver? That's even worse for the customers!

SigSig

Lagoon?

Also, but I paid for those :p Why would you expect them for free? Because some of them didn't really deliver? That's even worse for the customers!

Lagoon is the new environment.
I also paid for all of them. If you knew Nadeos histry, you'd know how an upgrade like this wouldn't be all that unrealistic.

Ferrio

Banned
There's going to be youtube videos devoted to people trying to finish certain tracks without puking using the morpheus isn't there?

Skyzard

Banned
Lagoon is the new environment.
I also paid for all of them. If you knew Nadeos histry, you'd know how an upgrade like this wouldn't be all that unrealistic.

So you want it for the server population to increase (and then maps too I guess)? Fair enough. I haven't played them in a while but now that I mention it I do remember it being a bit thin.

So is lagoon part of Trackmania turbo...or something else coming for the trackmania 2 series?

SigSig

So you want it for the server population to increase (and then maps too I guess)? Fair enough. I haven't played them in a while but now that you mention it I do remember it being a bit thin.

So is lagoon part of Trackmania turbo...or something else coming for the trackmania 2 series?

It's part of Turbo and will probably also be an environment for TM². And yeah, I want TM² to already get unified into a single package. Since most people are playing on Steam, where the multi-environment mode doesn't work, this way of distributing fragments the player base big time (steam players playing canyon can't get on valley servers etc.), effectively killing off the game.
Nadeo is really cool about this, allowing people who bought the game on Steam to just download it outside of Steam, but nobody knows you can actually do this and, to be honest, it's a solution for a problem, which shouldn't exist in the first place.
Also, Nadeo, if you are listening:
Trackmania Complete with TM² x TM United Forever pretty please?

Any chance for ps4-pc cross play??

Is this f2p? I had one trackmania a ways back on my laptop, I recall it being f2p? (I don't always recall correctly :/ )

Trackmania Nations (and Nations Forever, which is a free huge DLC to the free Trackmania Nations) is a former entry of the Trackmania series and is, in fact, free.
You can download it here: http://trackmaniaforever.com/nations/

Since then, Stadium has been expanded even further and it will be one of the environments of Trackmania Turbo, so you can play the free game to git gud for when Trackmania Turbo hits.

GodofWine

Any chance for ps4-pc cross play??

Is this f2p? I had one trackmania a ways back on my laptop, I recall it being f2p? (I don't always recall correctly :/ )

Edit : its $40.

Lemonte

4 environments, 4 different gameplays

Race through stunning environments with beautiful new graphics, each with its own gameplay experience:

Lagoon Rollercoaster: Defy gravity in a tropical paradise archipelago.
International Stadium: Skills and precision are key to master this environment focused on performance.
Canyon Drift: Drift your way through this North American grand valley.
Dirty Valley: Jump through the hills in an immersive countryside setting.

Sounds like perfect TM2 pack

Twentieth

It's part of Turbo and will probably also be an environment for TM². And yeah, I want TM² to already get unified into a single package. Since most people are playing on Steam, where the multi-environment mode doesn't work, this way of distributing fragments the player base big time (steam players playing canyon can't get on valley servers etc.), effectively killing off the game.

This is why I'm ready to let TM2 die. If Turbo unifies the playerbase again, I'm all for it.

Skyzard

Banned
Nadeo is really cool about this, allowing people who bought the game on Steam to just download it outside of Steam, but nobody knows you can actually do this and, to be honest, it's a solution for a problem, which shouldn't exist in the first place.
Also, Nadeo, if you are listening:
Trackmania Complete with TM² x TM United Forever pretty please?

I didn't realise it had those issues! Used to just load one of them up on steam...it was a bit messy switching between them for sure. Okay cool, +1 from me too then.

OHHH RIGHT

Lagoon Rollercoaster: Defy gravity in a tropical paradise archipelago.

Okay, so it is the 3 games plus another one. I should have skipped valley, but that canyon environment left a lot to be desired.

SigSig

This is why I'm ready to let TM2 die. If Turbo unifies the playerbase again, I'm all for it.

Oh, I'm also all for Turbo! But people, who already bought the Trackmania² environments shouldn't get left behind. They already bought like 75% of Turbo, yet would have to buy it again.
Some sort of discount would be really neat to not loose those players.

thelastword

Banned
Looks amazing, just tampered with it on PC many moons ago, but it reminded me so much of one of the first games I played on PC (STUNTS).

SigSig

I didn't realise it had those issues! Used to just load one of them up on steam...it was a bit messy switching between them for sure. Okay cool, +1 from me too then.

If you want to experience Trackmania² in a much more enjoyable state, copy the key from steam, download the Maniaplanet launcher on the official Trackmania site and just log into your account!
The keys *should* be compatible. Then you can switch environments without restarting and play multi-environment!
IIRC it's also possible to mix parts and physics from different environments (as in drive Canyon with Valley car) but don't quote me on that one.

I've probably put in a 1000 hours into Trackmania Forever. I dunno if this will have the same crazy modding and mostly German community. #GPSBackwards

Skyzard

Banned
If you want to experience Trackmania² in a much more enjoyable state, copy the key from steam, download the Maniaplanet launcher on the official Trackmania site and just log into your account!
The keys *should* be compatible. Then you can switch environments without restarting and play multi-environment!
IIRC it's also possible to mix parts and physics from different environments (as in drive Canyon with Valley car) but don't quote me on that one.

Thanks for the headsup! Guess I ought to delete the steam versions :(

IIRC I was playing non-steam canyon ages ago and then it came to steam and they gave us a copy I think and probably thought that was as good as it gets...anyway.

I'd also appreciate a discount on Turbo based on ownership of the other (up to) 3 TM2 titles, of course. Shit, I even bought shootmania storm ... :p

SigSig

Any chance of wheel support on Ps4?

Trackmania is really hard to drive with a wheel. The announcement didn't really show this, but you regularly reach 800+ km/h.
Gamepad is the controller of choice for most, but there was a hardcore crowd, who played Island with a wheel so if you are dead-set on it, it could work out.

batbeg

split screen multiplayer = i will get this game

Hotseat multiplayer is actually great for this game even without it due to the nature of the game, I think. I sunk dozens of hours into the Wii version even after dozens in the PC version.

SigSig

split screen multiplayer = i will get this game

Trackmania² has 4-players-splitscreen, so I don't see any reasons why Turbo wouldn't have it.
That said, hotseat works really well on short tracks, just passing the controller around. It's a great partygame, even!

eFKac

Why didn't I know about this franchise before? This looked like pure fun to play!

Looks too fast for VR imo, but may give it a shot anyway.

SigSig

Hey can you update the title that it includes the TM2 environments? Hopefully includes the levels as well

Even if it doesn't, somebody will just recreate them. An awesome thing on United Forever was being able to play Trackmania, Trackmania Power Up, Trackmania Sunrise, Trackmania SUnrise Extreme, Trackmania United and Trackmania United Forever campaigns all in a single game. Like, added on top of the 924926340786723480234 user created tracks.

Why didn't I know about this franchise before? This looked like pure fun to play!

Looks too fast for VR imo, but may give it a shot anyway.

You can play an older entry of the series here for free: http://trackmaniaforever.com/nations/
It only has one environment, but there is literally more user created content available for it, than you could ever play in your entire life.

Twentieth

So hyped to play a TrackMania that half the screen isnt covered by garbage UI.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Finally we have a UI upgrade. The old one was 10 years old and it showed.

Edit: I hadn't noticed they mentioned uPlay but not ManiaPlanet. Also the release date: 27.11.2015

Top Bottom