• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tragic death leads family to memoralize son with MW3 urn.

RIP. Sad story. If that's how they choose to remember him, more power to them. People saying it's "tacky" or whatever can stfu.

Exactly, wtf is wrong with some of you? If his family felt it was important for him to be remembered that way, then so be it.

What. The fuck.
pbn1i.png

I'm very sorry to hear about the guy's death but this picture made me chuckle for some reason.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Rest assured guys, if your friends showed your love of game X when you die, the rest of us will try not to ridicule you.

Jeez.

Anyways, R.I.P. to the kid, dying while trapped in a fire like that is just, damn.

Personally I'd choose something a bit more subtle, like an image of a game pad to honor his hobby. For a movie enthusiast perhaps a film reel or a director's chair or something. Symbolic and timeless stuff.

Choosing a specific entertainment product seems a bit shallow. If it's fine for them, then be it, but I think there's more to people's reactions than how we consider gaming.

How is this any different from being buried with a Patriots jersey, considering football teams are just as much brands and products that need to be marketed as videogames?

Kaizer

Banned
R.I.P. , sorry he had to go that way. Everyone's entitled to their opinion but when it comes to remembering our loved ones
after death, we shouldn't judge others. If the COD tattoos help the family cope and carry on, then there isn't a problem.

M-PG71C

A complete shame over his death. That sucks, may he RIP. I find the CoD bit a bit...well funny. But I can't shame a man over something he loved. There are people who bury with them their books/music. I don't see how this is different.

Sad story. If the game was such a big part of his life then there is nothing wrong with this. Whatever makes his family feel better, I guess.

Risible

Holy shit at the callous matherfuckers posting up in here. A young man died. His family and friends are remembering him as best they can. All of you posting shit like "So tacky" can fuck right off, you heartless cunts.

hey, i want to be buried in a coffin shaped like the ark of the covenant from Raiders.

i don't really see anything wrong with it. also RIP.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Seems like a weird thing to do, but it's what the kid would have wanted. I can respect that.

I can relate in a way, since I've asked my family to bury me in this coffin when my time comes:

Vrooe.jpg

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Holy shit at the callous matherfuckers posting up in here. A young man died. His family and friends are remembering him as best they can. All of you posting shit like "So tacky" can fuck right off, you heartless cunts.

To play devil's advocate, a lot of people that you don't know die every day. Why do you care so much about this one? Just because you heard about it? Because it was a person who played games?

okenny

Banned
Seems like a weird thing to do, but it's what the kid would have wanted. I can respect that.

I can relate in a way, since I've asked my family to bury me in this coffin when my time comes:

Vrooe.jpg

Please never drink and drive... The irony alone would kill.

Risible

To play devil's advocate, a lot of people that you don't know die every day. Why do you care so much about this one? Just because you heard about it? Because it was a person who played games?

I'm not saying I do care so much about this one.

What I am saying is I have enough compassion and common human decency to not mock the method whereby his friends and family are memorializing him.

RIP

I want to be buried in a Nintendo coffin, something like this
%5B9429%5Dsuper-nintendo-coffin_w606w.jpg

plant a small Union Jack where my head will be and a Seal of Quality in the center

While this doesn't really appeal to my sensibilities, I'm not upset with this. In fact, it's nice that his family didn't see his enjoyment of this game as something that was a negative influence in his life.

RIP.

Alphahawk

I do not see how this is tacky. He liked Call of Duty, it was important to him, therefor his parents chose to remember him through that....

I can understand the urn, but slapping brands on themselves and at the graveside? Life is about more than crappy faddy brands and videogames. If its what he would have wanted, fair enough, but the real tragedy is he didn't live long enough to find greater meaning in his life. Poor kid.

Akainu

Vrooe.jpg
One less hipster in the world.

I couldn't stop looking at her teeth.

UraMallas

I do not see how this is tacky. He liked Call of Duty, it was important to him, therefor his parents chose to remember him through that....

I think it's just too specific. MW3 has been out for a month and that's what defines this young man as a person? I think the "3" really makes me scratch my head the most. Modern Warfare? Okay, the series is about 5 years old and he is a young man. But 3? Well, there will be a new Call of Duty in 11 months.

But, for real, RIP. It's such a horrible way to die. :(

I think it's just too specific. MW3 has been out for a month and that's what defines this young man as a person? I think the "3" really makes me scratch my head the most. Modern Warfare? Okay, the series is about 5 years old and he is a young man. But 3? Well, there will be a new Call of Duty in 11 months.

But, for real, RIP. It's such a horrible way to die. :(

he's 18. Think of what would define most of our lives if we were cut short at that age. My coffin probably would have been a kleenex box.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm not saying I do care so much about this one.

What I am saying is I have enough compassion and common human decency to not mock the method whereby his friends and family are memorializing him.

Here's how I see it. The story of a person dying is not remarkable. It's sad, always, but not remarkable. The noteworthy part is the MW3 thing. And that made me go "ugh." So I, like some other people, commented on that aspect.

I also don't think death magically excuses something from criticism. And I'll be clear that I'm not criticizing the victim in any way. But just as the family has a right to memorialize him any way they see fit, I have the right to react to their choice honestly. I wouldn't react that way to their faces, of course, but they are strangers in a news story.

I also agree with the point made on this page that MW3 couldn't possibly be the best way to define or remember this person.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Some kid got killed in a motorcycle accident down the street from me. His parents wrapped a N64 controller around the power pole he died next to. Every time I drive by, I think about stopping and grabbing it. What a waste.

RIP. Sad story. If that's how they choose to remember him, more power to them. People saying it's "tacky" or whatever can stfu.

It's probably beating a dead horse, but, yeah. Let them remember him however they want. RIP kid. Unless you've kind of experienced from an observer's perspective the sheer gut wrenching sadness these families experience when a tradgedy like this happens you probably wouldn't understand.

I once wrote a story about a kid, 17 I think, who was killed in a car wreck. He worked in the local mall and everyone I talked too just went on an on about how much of a huge DDR fan he was.

Top Bottom