• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky Second Chapter out October 29th on PC and PSP

So... I'm curious as to the ratio of platform ownership for this title from the fellow Gaffership.
Using this poll, we can then cross-examine the owners from Steam Spy, and come to an incorrect conclusion about how enthusiasts are split across the platforms.

http://strawpoll.me/5842096

PSP & Vita has years of hype head start and a strong, established audience, but PC is slowly establishing itself as a Japanese gaming force.... Which will GAF choose?
How did you know what happened to me? o_O

I chose the third option D:

j/k

Steam, because it is the better version + cards :p

Can't wait to play it. Waited for this day since I played FC on PSP

The PC version is going to be clearly superior, I CAN'T GOD damn wait.

I'm replaying FC right now, there's no way I'll finish it by Thursday but I'm having a blast.

Hope the Steam emoticons are good, I like to use the Ys ones in chats a lot but the FC ones weren't so hot. :p

If I did this, would it mean anything to you?
:poc:

Nyoro SF

If I did this, would it mean anything to you?
:poc:

Yes, I use that one, but people get the wrong idea... A LOT. lol

The best emoticon is the Ys Origin one with Feena with her hands together. That one really pisses people off if you use it sarcastically for some reason, lmao

Planning to get the PSP version on Vita, for save transfer from FC, portability, and dat OLED. Also, mapping right stick to camera controls works quite well. I'm finally approaching the end of my first playthrough of FC, can't wait to hit that cliffhanger.

redcrayon

So... I'm curious as to the ratio of platform ownership for this title from the fellow Gaffership.
Using this poll, we can then cross-examine the owners from Steam Spy, and come to an incorrect conclusion about how enthusiasts are split across the platforms.

PSP & Vita has years of hype head start and a strong, established audience, but PC is slowly establishing itself as a Japanese gaming force.... Which will GAF choose?
Vita for me, portability is my primary concern over anything else.

Eusis

As much as I'd like PC: PSP/Vita. More convenient right now, never got my replay on PC done, I got my "perfect" save so I want to use the damn thing.

The real main (visual) problem the PSP version has is the lack of 32-bit color. Nayuta suffered worst from it, but even FC/SC has real problems with dithering and transparency and some sections of t he game can look pretty ugly. Even with its old, designed-for-ten-years-ago textures, the PC version of Trails in the Sky is so visually superior as to almost be a joke. The HD portraits and UI elements just seal the deal even harder.

Just a humble editor's opinion, of course, but if you care about presentation the PC version wins hands-down.

Eusis

It is why it's tempting to blow it off and just replay on PC THEN get to SC. Never mind that it has been 4+ years and a refresher would be good.

But the length of the games! I feel like Id be better off just getting it out of the way on Vita then replaying from start to end on PC.

I started FC on PC because as great as portability is, I still do about as much gaming on my laptop as I do on my portables. Plus my job I worked then (and now) had downtime where I can actually play on my laptop for a bit.

And of course I play SC on PC because that's where my clear save is as well as the prior reasons.

I just thought of something. I think my save and game files for FC are on a different partition from where I'll be installing SC. Would it be best to move FC over so there's no issues in the game finding the file?

Yeah, I played FC both on PSP and PC and it's a night and day difference.
FC actually holds up surprisingly well, there's a timeless charm to its visuals.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I have FC on both PSP and PC. I will be getting SC on PC for a variety of reasons. It looks way better, and my max-BP clear file is on PC. On top of that, I hear there is data-transfer between SC and 3rd as well, and if 3rd does get released I highly, highly doubt it will be released on PSP.

FLD

It is why it's tempting to blow it off and just replay on PC THEN get to SC. Never mind that it has been 4+ years and a refresher would be good.

Jesus, I can't even imagine going into SC after that long of a gap. Lol.

In just a year, I managed to forget so much of FC. I vaguely remembered most of the main story beats but replaying it made me realize that I'd forgotten pretty much all the important details and specifics of the lore and plot. I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't replayed FC just a few months ago I would've been confused as all hell going into SC.

I have FC on both PSP and PC. I will be getting SC on PC for a variety of reasons. It looks way better, and my max-BP clear file is on PC. On top of that, I hear there is data-transfer between SC and 3rd as well, and if 3rd does get released I highly, highly doubt it will be released on PSP.

It is extraordinarily unlikely that a possible 3rd release would be on PSP. Even getting SC on PSP at this point was something of a pleasant surprise. If 3rd does happen, it will probably be a PC exclusive.

Yeah, I played FC both on PSP and PC and it's a night and day difference.
FC actually holds up surprisingly well, there's a timeless charm to its visuals.

It also helps that some of the visual elements, like the spell particle effects and shadows, scale to your render resolution. The shadows in SC in particular look absolutely fantastic at 1080p+ - I can tell you that from experience. Even at that resolution they remain pixel-perfect. And yeah, the sprites hold up extremely well even at HD resolutions.

Varion

Yeah, you can transfer your save over to 3rd too. It makes a lot less of a difference than FC -> SC (basically just a reward you get when you start the game, because Estelle isn't the protagonist anymore), but it's still an incentive nonetheless. Enough to be worth playing the PC version if you want to play the PSP one? Not really.

But yeah, the odds of the PSP version of 3rd being localised are...zero, basically. It's not happening.

Eusis

It'd probably require a CRAZY miracle to get 3rd out at this point on PSP. I have higher hopes of Falcom just porting the games all to PS4 for the sake of posterity, and hopefully not tying it down with Evolution licensing baggage.

Hell, I imagine working out a deal for the Evolution licensing is more likely, but then again I can't underestimate how some Japanese companies can be about this stuff

Nyoro SF

I'm just skimming through lparchive as a refresher. Nice, easy, and quick.
I also reread the Carnelia novels a couple of weeks ago.
Might reread the 100 Days War in the next day or so.

It'd probably require a CRAZY miracle to get 3rd out at this point on PSP. I have higher hopes of Falcom just porting the games all to PS4 for the sake of posterity, and hopefully not tying it down with Evolution licensing baggage.

For better or worse, the Evo versions are the "posterity" versions. Though with the way the Vita is going...

Does anyone know what carries over from FC to SC if you import a save?

I'm curious if my save will suffice or if it's worth tracking down a "perfect" save online somewhere.

Aeana

I'm curious if my save will suffice or if it's worth tracking down a "perfect" save online somewhere.

Your starting level is based on the level of your party from the end of the game. And you get a couple of nice items if you got all 368 bracer points. Beyond that, quest NPCs react differently, and might give you some non-essential items.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

NPC interactions will be different depending on your interactions in FC.
Some rewards based on your bracer rank/BP.
Estelle's level, between 35 and 40.

Items and stuff don't carry over.

PSP, because that's what I played the first on (four years ago, wow), so I'll be importing that save.

Estelle would start at the same level as the end-game FC? Wouldn't that completely break the game?

Nope. The level cap in FC was 50.

The level cap in SC is 100.

If you don't import a save, in fact, your buddy in the prologue will rather outlevel you.

You are getting into Serious Shit in this game. The levels reflect that.

I'm buying both so I can't vote x)

Do we already know the price by the way?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Estelle would start at the same level as the end-game FC? Wouldn't that completely break the game?

Specifically, the starting level seems to 35 if you don't import a save. At most you can get 5 extra levels, but with the game's exp scaling that will really only benefit you at the very beginning.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nope. The level cap in FC was 50.

The level cap in SC is 100.

If you don't import a save, in fact, your buddy in the prologue will rather outlevel you.

You are getting into Serious Shit in this game. The levels reflect that.
Specifically, the starting level seems to 35 if you don't import a save. At most you can get 5 extra levels, but with the game's exp scaling that will really only benefit you at the very beginning.

Ah, all righty then. Will definitely import!

Bladenic

Really mad at myself for buying and starting a new FC play on Vita, then dropping it when I fucked up the perfect points cuz I saved over my save without realizing you had to catch the rabbit thing without it seeing for max points. So no perfect save for me, I missed like 3 points in my old save. Now to see how to transfer my PSP file to Vita.

FLD

So, what exactly determines the starting level in SC? I just had a look and my clear save is level 40. Do I need to be at 50 to get the boost?

Aeana

So, what exactly determines the starting level in SC? I just had a look and my clear save is level 40. Do I need to be at 50 to get the boost?

Level 35 or Under - Level 35.
Level 36 to 39 - Start with characters at the corresponding level.
Level 40 or Above - Start at level 40.

Eusis

For better or worse, the Evo versions are the "posterity" versions. Though with the way the Vita is going...
I wonder though with the licensing stuff going on. Would it more practical to stick with that for future ports? Can they own it all outright? Or would they just keep licensing it to Kadokawa and all for porting around? I just want whatever will make it the most exportable... though, I guess if they actually do put on PS4 they'd hopefully go "ok, we got to get this sorted out so we can get outside companies to actually release this."

max_505

Gonna buy and play it on Steam first, then I'll eventually double-dip on the PSP version when I buy a Vita again. After seeing how good FC looked on PC, it sealed the deal for me.

At this point I just want TitS to get so popular that it's ported to even half the number of systems you can play Doom, Tetris, or Ys I on. That's assuming we'll even have that many non-PC platforms coming in the next couple of decades, lol.

At this point I just want TitS to get so popular that it's ported to even half the number of systems you can play Doom, Tetris, or Ys I on. That's assuming we'll even have that many non-PC platforms coming in the next couple of decades, lol.

TitS backported to PC-98! TitS on Tiger Electronics! TitS on mobile! (This was actually an idea Aeria Games had at one point)

A TitS PC-98 demake in the style of White Witch could be really cool, but I don't think Falcom's done any demakes like 5pb's PC-8801 version of Steins;Gate. Obviously this would have to run on PC-9821 (or earlier) hardware for me to fully appreciate it.

Psxphile

Getting the game on PC: after all the trouble Sara and the other members of Team TitS went through to get the game out to us, it would personally feel like a slap to their collectively cheeky faces to NOT play it on PC.

Nyoro SF

Getting the game on PC: after all the trouble Sara and the other members of Team TitS went through to get the game out to us, it would personally feel like a slap to their collectively cheeky faces to NOT play it on PC.

Well, they and Falcom worked together a ton on the PSP version too.

Everyone's worked very hard for this day...

So no slaps. :p

Top Bottom