• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky Second Chapter out October 29th on PC and PSP

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay, so I just want to download an .exe of the game. I don't want to use Steam or any other type of client running in the background... this is why I should purchase on GOG.com, right? Or can I download just the game its executable through Steam?

Steel

Banned
So you would definitely suggest the double dip on FC? I don't want to play the second game on Vita.

Well if that's an absolute for you, then yeah. Then again you might finish it up FC on vita and download someone else's tranferrable save on PC if that's possible.

wrowa

So you would definitely suggest the double dip on FC? I don't want to play the second game on Vita.

I don't think the save transfer is actually important. If you didn't play a completionist playthrough of FC, then it shouldn't matter.

However, you definitely have to see the ending of the first game. :p

Ultimadrago

I'm so happy I played this game late. I wouldn't have been able to handle the wait much longer than that! Kudos to those that waited for years after their first play through to get their hands on this game officially translated!

Llyranor

Niice!
Okay, so I just want to download an .exe of the game. I don't want to use Steam or any other type of client running in the background... this is why I should purchase on GOG.com, right? Or can I download just the game its executable through Steam?
You need Steam to play the Steam version.

Get the GOG version of you want no DRM.

Persona7

Banned
I need to read the localization blog again

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/112257788515/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-second

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/126706403020/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-second

Yes, you can purchase the game and immediately download the .exe from your account page on GOG.com through your web browser. After that you can backup the .exe to any storage medium. If a update comes out you can easily log in and download the update too.

jonjonaug

Wow. I wasn't following the progress of this closely, but with all the chatter about Trails of Cold Steel coming out first, I thought 2016 for sure.

Will buy!

EDIT: Is there some sort of game save transfer between TitS 1 and 2. I have 1 on PSP, and sort of drifted away from it about half way through. Should I finish that version up, or would it be better to double dip and start fresh on PC?

EDIT 2: If the latter, can you put the first game on sale on Steam XSeed? Thanks! :p
There is save transfer. From some Googling: Estelle's starting level is affected by it, you carry over your BP and get some rewards at high ranks, and NPCs you helped the first time around will remember you.

kswiston

Well it's only ever been 40 dollars on the PSP version.

Trails in the Sky first chapter was 30 bucks at launch on Steam so thats about what I expected.

The first chapter actually launched at $19.99 on Steam. $30 is already asking $10 more from PC fans. I think that is ok in this case since it is a new (to the west) game instead of a 3 years late port. However, a lot of PC sequels have crashed and burned because their pubs raised the price over the original that most people got on discount.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Niice!

You need Steam to play the Steam version.

Get the GOG version of you want no DRM.

Welp, I don't even think I can run this game on my POS work laptop. It says it requires 1.8 ghz and my laptop only runs 1.7GHZ. Does GOG.com pretty easy about refunds if the game runs like this on my computer?

I'm so happy I played his game late. I wouldn't have been able to handle the wait much longer than that! Kudos to those that waited for years after their first play through to get their hands on this game officially translated!

Its been almost 2 years since I finished it man ;_;

ITS ALMOST HEREEEEEE

Steel

Banned
Welp, I don't even think I can run this game on my POS work laptop. It says it requires 1.8 ghz and my laptop only runs 1.7GHZ.

Shit, the cost of buying a PSP + this game is going to be kinda pricey for just one game!

May as well get a vita or vita TV(which will probably be cheaper than the PSP anyway, just be sure to get the whitelist hack on it ASAP before update).

Good trailer. They could have just used much of the original Falcom made for FC, and it's not easy making something that can appeal to new players without spoiling the beats, but the music choice works as expected and it's going to appeal to a large Steam/GOG audience.

kswiston

Well if that's an absolute for you, then yeah. Then again you might finish it up FC on vita and download someone else's tranferrable save on PC if that's possible.

I don't think the save transfer is actually important. If you didn't play a completionist playthrough of FC, then it shouldn't matter.

However, you definitely have to see the ending of the first game. :p

There is save transfer. From some Googling: Estelle's starting level is affected by it, you carry over your BP and get some rewards at high ranks, and NPCs you helped the first time around will remember you.

Thanks for all of the replies. I will have to go back and see how many hours I sunk into my PSP playthrough. I haven't played the game in about 3 years, so perhaps a fresh start will be better anyhow. I heard that the PC version was the definitive version (of those we have localizations for).

A 50% off sale would make this decision easier :p

khaaan

You can thank me, guys.

I'm so pumped. What kinds of improvements are there over the first one? Quick glance over some screens makes it seem like the gameplay and visuals haven't changed which might mean I need a short break. After 45 hours I'm not sure if I can jump into another 45+ right away.

Nzyme32

So...... I'm getting the impression for many people that these games are good. Can someone give me a basic overview of what the games are about / gameplay, and where to start?

The first chapter actually launched at $19.99 on Steam. $30 is already asking $10 more from PC fans. I think that is ok in this case since it is a new (to the west) game instead of a 3 years late port. However, a lot of PC sequels have crashed and burned because their pubs raised the price over the original that most people got on discount.
It was 15$/€ on Steam launch

Oh yeah it was 20 my mistake.

Another 45? Try 80 hours.

I was gonna say isn't Second Chapter like twice as long than the First Chapter?

YES. It's finally happening. After four long years of waiting, I can finally see what happens next. I'm so excited. Tonight I guess I should work on transferring my save file from the PSP to my Vita.

And as fate would have it, I have both the 29th and 30th off from work.

vall03

Really happy that we finally have a release date for SC after all these years. But the thing is, this is one of the things I hate with XSEED when they announce release dates. Its either a few weeks or even days. Now I can't fucking file a paid leave for the game... *sigh*

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So...... I'm getting the impression for many people that these games are good. Can someone give me a basic overview of what the games are about / gameplay, and where to start?

Imagine a really really good SNES/PSX era JRPG with a fantastic well written translation. The selling part of this game is its writing. Every character is so well written, the plot is engaging, and the combat system is very strategic.

I'd rank it up with a Top 3 JRPGs of all time list. The only draw back is that (at least the first game) is very slow to get things developing. The first few hours aren't "boring", but they are slower paced as you take a lot of time getting to know characters before you're thrown into the "meat" of the story.

Dio

Banned

They're extremely story-driven, indepth with tons of world building. There is an overarching story that connects all of the titles.

Are you familiar with the type of 90s 'adventure' feeling that you get from games like Lunar and Grandia? That's the type of atmosphere these titles have.

As for combat, the combat is similar to Grandia's, in that there is a 'turn order' mechanic and it uses spells/attacks that have areas of effect on a field. You can delay enemy turns with certain spells and attacks, and speed yourself up. There's elemental stuff as well.

Start with Trails First Chapter, you don't need to touch any of the ones before that. Second Chapter is a direct sequel and you should not play it without playing FC first.

It's a story-focused traditional JRPG with likable characters & very strong world-building.

The gameplay is traditional JRPG, in which you travel in parties to towns, and have non-random encounters in the maps/dungeons. The combat system is a mix of turn-based system where you can move your characters within a battle space ( so you have to get close to enemies directly to attack them, etc) and select actions within that area of movement.

Trails in the Sky FC ( the prequel to this game) is the starting point that many people are familiar with.

wrowa

I think sales have a good chance to be lower anyway, since most people probably haven't played through FC (and thus have no need for SC). Of course, there's still the people to account for who only played on PSP and will now play SC on PC, but... I kind of doubt that they'll make up for the loss. So, what I'm trying to say is, I think it's a good idea to milk fans before trying to reach a wider audience during Steam sales.

Top Bottom