• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky Second Chapter out October 29th on PC and PSP

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
What are you exact specs?

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Speed 1.7 GHz
Number of Cores 2
Video Card Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Manufacturer Intel
Chipset Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Dedicated Memory 64.0 MB
Total Memory 1.5 GB
Memory 3.5 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 32-bit
Service Pack 1
Size 32 Bit
Edition Enterprise
Display Maximum Resolution 1366 x 768

Nzyme32

Imagine a really really good SNES/PSX era JRPG with a fantastic well written translation. The selling part of this game is its writing. Every character is so well written, the plot is engaging, and the combat system is very strategic.

I'd rank it up with a Top 3 JRPGs of all time list. The only draw back is that (at least the first game) is very slow to get things developing. The first few hours aren't "boring", but they are slower paced as you take a lot of time getting to know characters before you're thrown into the "meat" of the story.

They're extremely story-driven, indepth with tons of world building. There is an overarching story that connects all of the titles.

Are you familiar with the type of 90s 'adventure' feeling that you get from games like Lunar and Grandia? That's the type of atmosphere these titles have.

As for combat, the combat is similar to Grandia's, in that there is a 'turn order' mechanic and it uses spells/attacks that have areas of effect on a field. You can delay enemy turns with certain spells and attacks, and speed yourself up. There's elemental stuff as well.

Start with Trails First Chapter, you don't need to touch any of the ones before that. Second Chapter is a direct sequel and you should not play it without playing FC first.

It's a story-focused traditional JRPG with likable characters & very strong world-building.

The gameplay is traditional JRPG, in which you travel in parties to towns, and have non-random encounters in the maps/dungeons. The combat system is a mix of turn-based system where you can move your characters within a battle space ( so you have to get close to enemies directly to attack them, etc) and select actions within that area of movement.

Trails in the Sky FC ( the prequel to this game) is the starting point that many people are familiar with.

Excellent, thanks. I'll get FC soon then

With a price like that, I'm thinking XSEED knows how unapproachable the sequel is without having experienced FC (and reading a story summary doesn't help you know how best to play SC, as in going around fastidiously talking to everyone for the smallest hints of anything). So doing a higher price with better discounts in the near future is a strategy worth following.

Looking forward to seeing an OT, but rest assured I continue to stalk the forums to answer questions!
Thank you so much for all the work you and your partners at XSEED have done on SC! Honestly I'm amazed Sony got it through master testing so damn quick, especially for a game with an unorthodox PSN release (2 UMDs and all that).

Tenebrous

FC was simply one of the best RPGs I've ever played... Hell, one of the best games I've ever played. I'll be buying this the very first second I can!

aCroEXT.gif

What transfers in the first game to SC?

I've got a chapter 4 save, probably going to try really REALLY hard to beat it this weekend. I know BP points transfer, but beyond that I have no clue.

Do some of the books get sequels?

Nyoro SF

My only question is this; someone told me that if you transfer your FC save over, Estelle keeps all her levels and gets a bonus item. Doesn't this kind of... break the game? I don't want SC to be a cakewalk by any means just because I imported a save, nor do I want to struggle against Nightmare just because Estelle is now a superhuman and everyone else has to play catchup.

I googled around but no one has really answered this in GFAQs and whatnot.

MrDoctor

Can I complete a replay of FC within a single week while still attending to other priorities? WE'LL JUST HAVE TO FIND OUT!

Hikami

Yes!
Hope I can finish Disgaea 5 and Tales of Zestiria by then. SC will be getting all my attention once it's out.

kurahador

I need to replay the first one, but my PSP is broken and I only have UMD copy. Shit!!
Please do a sale for the first one XSEED.

Rezae

Ugh... 1st world problems.. PC or Vita? Looks a bit sharper on PC, plus you get some of the Steam little perks such as achievements, cards/wallpapers, playtime tracking, etc...

But being able to play this monster of a game anywhere on the Vita is tough to turn down. Not sure I want to sit at my computer that long, or tell my family the TV is mine for the next 2 weeks...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Ugh... 1st world problems.. PC or Vita? Looks a bit sharper on PC, plus you get some of the Steam little perks such as achievements, cards/wallpapers, playtime tracking, etc...

But being able to play this monster of a game anywhere on the Vita is tough to turn down. Not sure I want to sit at my computer that long, or tell my family the TV is mine for the next 2 weeks...

I know, this game was perfect for a portable system. Even though my laptop is "portable", not as convenient as a PSP.

Maybe I can find a cheap one...

kswiston

So...... I'm getting the impression for many people that these games are good. Can someone give me a basic overview of what the games are about / gameplay, and where to start?

To me (from what I finished), TiTS felt like a PS1/early PS2 era JRPG. It doesn't have all the unnecessary sub-systems bloat that a lot of modern JRPGs have, the battle system is quick and fairly intuitive.

The magic system is sort of like a cross between the materia system from FF7 and the djinn system from Golden Sun from what I remember. You unlock various magic spells by equipping combinations of orbs of different elements to your characters. This gives you a lot of room for customization.

The story was pretty straight forward up until the point that I left off. Maybe there is a big twist coming, but it wasn't full of ridiculous nonsense that made little sense.

The characters weren't super original, but they weren't MOE blobs either.

My only question is this; someone told me that if you transfer your FC save over, Estelle keeps all her levels and gets a bonus item. Doesn't this kind of... break the game? I don't want SC to be a cakewalk by any means just because I imported a save, nor do I want to struggle against Nightmare just because Estelle is now a superhuman and everyone else has to play catchup.

It doesn't.

th4tguy

I've been playing TiTs for over a year (usually about 15-20 min before going to sleep at night). I'm on the 2nd level of the final dungeon. I was really looking forward to playing actual Vita games. I guess that will have to wait.

What are the benefits of having a past save?

Persona7

Banned
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Speed 1.7 GHz
Number of Cores 2
Video Card Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Manufacturer Intel
Chipset Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Dedicated Memory 64.0 MB
Total Memory 1.5 GB
Memory 3.5 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 32-bit
Service Pack 1
Size 32 Bit
Edition Enterprise
Display Maximum Resolution 1366 x 768

I think you will not have any issues playing this game on these specs.

mrmyhthef

If the sequel has exp scaling like the first game I'm sure the others will be able to catch up no problem. As for the bonus item, as far as I can tell it increases drop rates of items, doubt it's severely gamebreaking on its own.

Not really, unlike most rpg sequels SC's stat escalation continues right from the previous title instead of just starting everything off from level 1 again.

khaaan

The story was pretty straight forward up until the point that I left off. Maybe there is a big twist coming, but it wasn't full of ridiculous nonsense that made little sense.

I think even with its twists, it is a fairly straightforward story. I felt that most of the good stuff doesn't happen until the final quarter though.

aravuus

Two days after Divinity: OS EE, a bit over week before FO4

Fuck, what a timing

Just gotta try and prioritize, I guess. I personally thought FC was just good, but it got a lot more interesting towards the end so I'm really excited about SC.

Ohh man!

Hype meters to the max!

Would love it if they could release something like the edits they did and played around with in their Editing stage lol

Top Bottom