• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky Second Chapter out October 29th on PC and PSP

jackal27

Banned
Friend just messaged me this hahaha:

BueJOqb.jpg

This is perfect timing. I'm in Grancel in the first one on PC. If I can get it done by next week, it will be the... third JRPG I have ever completed.

It comes.

At last.

It comes.

Y'all have no idea how good this feels.

I assume there's not going to be any limited amount of physical PSP copy since there seems to be no mention about it in any articles. I also recall Xseed mentioning early on when they announced the localization of SC that they wouldn't be releasing a physical PSP copy and besides it wouldn't really make any sense to release a physical copy for PSP game now but I'm checking just to be sure.

No, no physical release. A practical physical release in stores for a PSP game is essentially impossible at this juncture. Even selling it online-only would be a dicey proposition.

epmode

Does the third chapter being released still depend on the sales of the second chapter release?

TC is a long way away so I doubt it. I think the plan is to get the later games in the series out first so we can hopefully catch up to Japan, then go back. TC has a PC port so it should work out.

Linkark07

Banned
Dunno if I should buy this first for PSP or PC through GoG. Only finished it in my Vita, haven't started the PC version yet.

Varion

Does this game end on a cliff hanger too? I know there's Third Chapter game.
Nightengale basically already answered this, but nope. It's the kind of ending that wraps everything up really nicely while still leaving some unanswered questions and plot hooks to pick up later. It's definitely a satisfying end in its own right though.

Back before FC PC came out and actually did really well, most series fans were basically saying 'SC is the only place you can stop localising them if you have to abandon the series. Go any further, and that's when the real overarching story starts opening up.' So, yeah, I think in general people will come out of it feeling happy and fulfilled after this one. Though there's no reason to believe it will be the end of the series in the west now, at least.

i just started Zestiria and havent even touched TiTS yet
this isnt fair
hell i barely started Hearts of Stone
calm down RPG game makers

So can i just buy FC and SC on the Vita PSN store (EU) under the PSP games section then and be done with it or is that too easy cos it sure sounds too good to be true?

Dio

Banned
i just started Zestiria and havent even touched TiTS yet
this isnt fair
hell i barely started Hearts of Stone
calm down RPG game makers

This game has been out for nine years in Japan. It's just a happy coincidence that the localization made it in a time when a shitload of RPGs are dropping.

Psxphile

Back before FC PC came out and actually did really well, most series fans were basically saying 'SC is the only place you can stop localising them if you have to abandon the series. Go any further, and that's when the real overarching story starts opening up.' So, yeah, I think in general people will come out of it feeling happy and fulfilled after this one. Though there's no reason to believe it will be the end of the series in the west now, at least.

Ha ha, yeah. We were content that it'll end at SC and probably never see the rest of the series but at least we'd be left with a sense of conclusion... and then someone discovered trailsofcoldsteel.com.

panic.gif

I am late to the thread but

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEAH!

I am so stoked right now. I hope this sells bucket loads. They already have 3 guaranteed sales from me as I promised two friends I would gift them each a copy if they actually played FC.

jackal27

Banned
So can i just buy FC and SC on the Vita PSN store (EU) under the PSP games section then and be done with it or is that too easy cos it sure sounds too good to be true?

That's about the size of it. There will be other games in the series in the future, but these two are a self contained story.

Ha ha, yeah. We were content that it'll end at SC and probably never see the rest of the series but at least we'd be left with a sense of conclusion... and then someone discovered trailsofcoldsteel.com.

panic.gif

Ain't no gettin' off this train we're on.

(wait wrong series shit)

ZoronMaro

I hope this means FC will finally go on sale on PSN, or at some point before I leave the country next month. I didn't get very far on PC, but I've been waiting for it to go on sale on PSN for a year since I got my Vita. Why does Persona go on sale every week, but stuff like this never gets any exposure?

StereoVsn

no, Vita/PS3.

It's really unfortunate that Falcom got away from PC gaming. Maybe if Tits 2 / Xanadu sell well, they will consider at least getting a porting house to do the work. They did say they are aware.

Heck, Vita/PS3 as a Western release platform choices just suck and this will sell zilch beyond the usual niche crowd. Steam/PS4 would double/triple sales in the West (or more, depending how badly the game is going to do). I shudder at the thought of the sequel in 2016 coming out for PS Vita/PS3 (still will buy day 1 no question, but that audience is going to be very small).

Meneses

Haven't played the first one yet (only a couple hours into it before I stopped) even though I have it on PC and Vita.

Will probably get this one anyway just to support it, depending on the price in EU.

She reacts in a negative manner to all of Oliver's flirting.
Her initial anger is because he is "one of those men... who likes other boys." She also calls him a "pervert." For his part, Joshua says he is "scarred for life" by Olivier's advances, which is very different to how he treats Schera hitting on him.

You can cover it by saying she's a 16 year-old kid from a rural area who
is defensive about someone hitting on Joshua
, but it neatly slots into the usual regressive sexual politics that are omnipresent in Japanese games, and it's sort of played for hyucks in an uncomfortable way.

It didn't ruin the game for me or anything, but it did take me aback, and it did make me like Estelle a lot less.

It's really unfortunate that Falcom got away from PC gaming. Maybe if Tits 2 / Xanadu sell well, they will consider at least getting a porting house to do the work. They did say they are aware.

Heck, Vita/PS3 as a Western release platform choices just suck and this will sell zilch beyond the usual niche crowd. Steam/PS4 would double/triple sales in the West (or more, depending how badly the game is going to do). I shudder at the thought of the sequel in 2016 coming out for PS Vita/PS3 (still will buy day 1 no question, but that audience is going to be very small).

But the audience for these types of games is pretty heavily represented on both PS3 and Vita. Cold Steel should do just fine.

You were okay with
Olivier flirting with a stated minor
, though?
Not really, but the game is okay with
Schera flirting with a stated minor
; Estelle and Joshua aren't balking at
Olivier's flirting because he's older; they're balking at it because it's same-sex.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but what all does the save transfer do for you from FC -> SC? I beat FC on the PSP years ago, but didn't buy the Steam version yet. I would more than likely buy the Steam version, but I wouldn't really want to replay the first game at this point (it's way too late for that). Do you get special items/outfits/cutscenes? Would it be possible to download a save file and use that instead?

Shizuka

Not really, but the game is okay with
Schera flirting with a stated minor
; Estelle and Joshua aren't balking at
Olivier's flirting because he's older; they're balking at it because it's same-sex.

Agreed, although I usually picture my games in the 90s, where that kind of comment was "accepted" as not a discrimination. It happens in other games, specially the japanese ones with yuri couples. It's certainly not a nice comment though, and localization could filter that to a more acceptable comment if they wanted to.

Enk

makes good threads.
Gah! I'll be out of town then. I guess it will be something else to look forward to when I get back. I'm glad I waited until last month to do my ToS playthrough and still have all the story details fresh in my head.

sbs2601

Neo Member
Her initial anger is because he is "one of those men... who likes other boys." She also calls him a "pervert." For his part, Joshua says he is "scarred for life" by Olivier's advances, which is very different to how he treats Schera hitting on him.

You can cover it by saying she's a 16 year-old kid from a rural area who
is defensive about someone hitting on Joshua
, but it neatly slots into the usual regressive sexual politics that are omnipresent in Japanese games, and it's sort of played for hyucks in an uncomfortable way.

It didn't ruin the game for me or anything, but it did take me aback, and it did make me like Estelle a lot less.

Someone should check the script for the original Japanese version. IIRC there was no mention of the word "pervert (hentai)" in that part of the dialogue.

Aeana

I'm really happy for everyone involved that it'll finally be out the door, and I'm super excited for those who haven't played to finally get the next chapter of the story.

And for me, it's about time for a replay so I'm ready to dive in too.

Top Bottom