• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| Time's the Charm

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Controller buttons don't work- you have to set it to f6/7 or something then assign controller buttons to f6/7. Dumb but there you are.

On a completely different note, Chapter 4 door spoilers:
Lechter two of those phrases aren't even in the cat dictionary, stop cheating.

After playing some more, I'm pleased with the difficulty level here compared to FC and SC. Standard encounters are still easy enough, but the boss battles are a lot more interesting - you get enemies that heal each other, reflect attacks, lots of status effects and large AoE attacks.

I love it too.
Bosses encounters feel like mini-puzzles and really make you think out of the box.

The combat system truly shines in 3rd

zakujanai

I can't believe the chests have different messages in depending on the time of day in chapter 2. Already missed a load of day ones from when it turned to evening, I'll never get the complete Trails of Chests now!

Wouldn't be Trails if there wasn't an easily missable story collect though.

Jolkien

Chapter 3:
I just got destroyed by the boss at the end of the silver road, holy crap. I'll have to try something different because I got obliterated lol

Controller buttons don't work- you have to set it to f6/7 or something then assign controller buttons to f6/7. Dumb but there you are.

Chapter 4 door spoilers:
Lechter two of those phrases aren't even in the cat dictionary, stop cheating.

Oh, thanks for the hint.

Ascheroth

I can't believe the chests have different messages in depending on the time of day in chapter 2. Already missed a load of day ones from when it turned to evening, I'll never get the complete Trails of Chests now!

Actually evening doesn't have different messages from what I've checked, only night.

Tonton

w a t

speaking of trails in the chest tho I hope someone is compiling it all because i'm not

Why would you even
not have her in the support spot? +20% drop rate and +30% Sepith is too useful.

I like to swap around all of the party members in these sorts of games so I was trying her out to see how she was. Unfortunately, I think she's just gonna stay back as potential support, since it looks like her physical power is so bad without an orbment set or crafts to make up for it.

Ascheroth

w a t

speaking of trails in the chest tho I hope someone is compiling it all because i'm not
You mean like
WySEHfd.png
:p

Though I'm sure someone else will be faster than me :)
I like to swap around all of the party members in these sorts of games so I was trying her out to see how she was. Unfortunately, I think she's just gonna stay back as potential support, since it looks like her physical power is so bad without an orbment set or crafts to make up for it.
Haha, I did the same.
I even tried if I could use her as a thief (The Dark Blade enemies in Chapter 2 have some rare armor drops according to the bestiary). But who would have thought, she can only steal common drops :p

zakujanai

Actually evening doesn't have different messages from what I've checked, only night.

That's good but I still missed one because I found a house at night opposite the bar that I'd not been in previously (TдT)

w a t

I was trying but I'm pretty sure I'm failing. I want to see it all pieced together.

That's good but I still missed one because I found a house at night opposite the bar that I'd not been in previously (TдT)

I was trying but I'm pretty sure I'm failing. I want to see it all pieced together.
I'm trying too. After my next play session if I have time I'm going to go through my screenshots and see what there is so far.

Gu4n

Chapter 3:
I just got destroyed by the boss at the end of the silver road, holy crap. I'll have to try something different because I got obliterated lol
Can you believe they cranked up the difficulty of that fight even further in the PSP version? I think that was the only time I had to rely on Retry Off-set. Man. Good luck!

I wasn't expecting Moon Door 3 to be quite so long. It was really good, but it wound up eating my whole play session last night.
Neat to see Lechter for the first, and very different than I've seen him in the future games we've gotten. It was also nice to be seeing a lot of the Jenis cast again, as well as seeing characters like Anton and Ricky when they were still in school.

These doors are really managing to hit every Trails related itch for me.

Chapter 3:

I did it in my first attempt, but it was definitely a really challenging (and enjoyable) fight, and it took me a really long time to get through.

w a t

You mean like

:p

Though I'm sure someone else will be faster than me :)

Haha, I did the same.
I even tried if I could use her as a thief (The Dark Blade enemies in Chapter 2 have some rare armor drops according to the bestiary). But who would have thought, she can only steal common drops :p

Xseed didn't sell me this game hard enough :

Jolkien

Can you believe they cranked up the difficulty of that fight even further in the PSP version? I think that was the only time I had to rely on Retry Off-set. Man. Good luck!

Took me two other try but I did it ! I really wonder if the adds are weak to blind, Wish I'd put Tita in that party, pretty glad I made it through. It must be awful on Nightmare.

Fisherman's Guild in Grancel.

Thanks. Dunno how I missed it. I was there, guess I forgot to go upstairs.

Also, Star Door 3
I knew what happened in Ambria was bad, but holy shit!
It's also INCREDIBLY fucked up that Weissman was killed by the thing that likely drove him to Ouroboros in the first place. The Salt Pale orphaned him, (though is that the right word? He was an adult at the time) and he eventually dies by it anyway.

Gu4n

Took me two other try but I did it ! I really wonder if the adds are weak to blind, Wish I'd put Tita in that party, pretty glad I made it through. It must be awful on Nightmare.
Haha. As soon as I obtained an Attack 4 Quartz, I popped it into Tita's orbment for this very purpose. Combined with Julia's buff and a happy critical around the corner, I had a relatively easy time with them this time around.

Happy to hear people are loving the Doors so much. They're probably my favourite part of the game - not to discredit the main story - so I was a hit worried when the rumour (?) was spread that 'The 3rd is a side story' and 'just a dungeon crawler'. Power to you, folks. And keep the impressions coming.

Question about the speed hack:

Does this need to be enabled? I can't tell if it's working of not.

In you first image I didn't check anything. In your second, where it says "1.000" You need to change that number to enable the speedhack. Someone suggested 1.4 for a normal level that you can leave on and still play at, and that's what I use, as it merely makes the battles snappier. If you want further gradients of speed you need to set the other hotkeys.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I think I heard somewhere that this is the shortest of the 3, but my time has been at an extreme crunch and I haven't even gotten anywhere in Persona or Zelda yet. Gonna still pick it up to support this franchise (SC is one of the best RPGs ever imo).

Dessa

Neo Member
Whoah. I've been pondering this series for ages, but have never heard "Suikoden" uttered in the same breath until now. I think it's time I go and try this out. Y'all got me hyped.

Whoah. I've been pondering this series for ages, but have never heard "Suikoden" uttered in the same breath until now. I think it's time I go and try this out. Y'all got me hyped.
Make sure to start with trails in the sky and then play them order. Don't start with this one first

Oreiller

You should really start with the first game (it's called Trails in the Sky FC) if you're interested in the series, you're going to be totally lost otherwise.

Thud

That Soul Blur by Kevin was the final blow...and it was way too close.
AoE heavy damage+AT Delay is really really nasty, probably my least favorite Chaos Blade effect this guy has.

What difficulty are you playing on?

It only scratched me on Normal.

Jolkien

Wow in Chapter 4 the monster called Great Abyss drops a god tier weapon for Zin. I wonder how many other monster drop powerful weapons. Even with a support with drop rate bonus and the drop rate quartz it takes a while to get the full drop list. When you steal do you get a different loot ? A lot of enemies only has 1 more drops for me to find, or you just get something random on their loot table ?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
One thing I'm loving about this game are the huge numbers of your HP and the damage you take, and the extremely menacing designs of all of the enemies. It makes it feel like one giant endgame to the Sky series, where everyone is already super powerful. Not to mention you start at or around level 100...

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Wow in Chapter 4 the monster called Great Abyss drops a god tier weapon for Zin. I wonder how many other monster drop powerful weapons. Even with a support with drop rate bonus and the drop rate quartz it takes a while to get the full drop list. When you steal do you get a different loot ? A lot of enemies only has 1 more drops for me to find, or you just get something random on their loot table ?

It's just common drops, I've been told for stealing.

Jolkien

One thing I'm loving about this game are the huge numbers of your HP and the damage you take, and the extremely menacing designs of all of the enemies. It makes it feel like one giant endgame to the Sky series, where everyone is already super powerful. Not to mention you start at or around level 100...

Yup you start at 90 (I was higher than this in my SC game) I'm now up to lvl 111. Wonder if we'll finish as high as in Cold Steel 2, I think I finished that one around 150

MrCinos

That Soul Blur by Kevin was the final blow...and it was way too close.
AoE heavy damage+AT Delay is really really nasty, probably my least favorite Chaos Blade effect this guy has.

I'm playing on Hard and the fight was surprisingly easy, thanks to my party composition. Julia & Tita both have been amazing so far. Julia is a broken tank vs physical bosses due to her cheap CP guard that nullifies damage (whilst CP can be easily refilled by Ries). Tita's Smoke Cannon works extremely well on just about any trash mob//hecnhman so far + her normal attack deals 1k damage and has 10 range thanks to the early Cannon from Red chest and accessory, she alone makes every random encounter a joke.

Ascheroth

Is there actually a way to see all of a monsters locations in the monster book? That line is way too small and only shows the most recent one with the others cut off.

Been grinding Time/Space/Mirage Sepith with the rare monsters in Chapter 2 and I think I could now maybe work on the orbment setups before starting chapter 3 proper. Did some Slot upgrading already though.
Although it bothers me to no end that I have 3-3500 each from those Sepith and around 2000 of each of the elemental ones - except just 600 for Earth, gah.

To be honest I find it pretty interesting how different my playstyle here is compared to FC and SC. I'm barely using Arts.
My go-to AoEs are Kevins Mortal Punishment (gave him the 2 CP regen accessories you get from the SC save) and Tita. The others have just been normal attacking mostly with a few Crafts and Arts here and there.
The CP water makes it an easy decision to drop S-Crafts as well (thank Aidios for the skip-function)
Kevins S-Craft combined with the insane CP regen from the accessories is pretty nice for bosses.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I've not been using Tita much, Silver boss aside, but it's amazing how much better she felt in the time I did have her. Healing isn't much of an issue anymore but her craft was a godsend at the start, and her attack felt buffed enough that she can actually hurt enemies with highish Def. Most improved player from SC.

Based on that, I'm kind of terrified that they may have nerfed Agate into the ground.

Loz246789

I can't believe they bothered to make this.

I'm so glad they bothered to make this.

Having a door dedicated to those three random goons becoming junior bracers is such a kiseki thing to do, it's great.

Young Magus

Yo

Im in CH.6 in which
I gotta bring along Anelace. Any tips/quartz bulids to make her a good party member? Same question for Estelle btw

Jolkien

Star Door 5

When Cassius said ''It's a great honor that after so many years, he still cares so much about and inexperienced and utterly lacking swordsman like me'' .. I'm like WHAT ?
I had no idea Anelace was Master Ka-Fai grand daugther, I love all these connection in these games. I wonder if Anelace knows Rean.

Oreiller

Oh man, that star door in chapter 5 that sets up
the conflict between Olivier and the Chancelor
in Cold Steel was great.
I always thought it was a shame that we didn't see Osbourne that much in the CS games, so it was cool seeing him interract with Olivier. I also love how its music was reused in the ship in CS2.

I am also quite intrigued by
Lechter
as a character. I still don't know what to think of him,
but it seems they're really building him up for future games I guess. He wasn't that present in the Cold Steel games but he was referenced by Lloyd and Rixia in the divertissement of CS2, so I guess he plays a more significant role in the Crossbell arc?

Anyway, love this game. It also manages to make me quite hyped for the yet non-localized games.

Yo

Im in CH.6 in which I gotta bring along Anelace. Any tips/quartz bulids to make her a good party member? Same question for Estelle btw

I'm not in chapter 6 yet, but try to beat her opponent in star door 5. The weapon you get by doing so is quite broken, put some attack and action quartz on her and she'll destroy everything in sight.

Nyoro SF

Discovered 2 "bugs".

One is that if you use Detection to see treasure chests on the map, the chests will appear off the level surface (floating in space) if you move the map around.
Second is that I equipped Scent on Kevin, but then I took it off, but it's not registering; every monster is still attacking me as if I have Scent equipped.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
(The 3rd spoilers/dates from Zero)
Renne is abducted in S.1196 and saved by Ouroboros late S.1196/early S.1197. So at the start of that door, she was about 5-years-old.

Now I feel sick again.

Also, not sure whether it's a Dorothy quirk or just an inconsistency error, but she congratulates Nial with his 30th birthday while it's his 31st (per birthday provided in the Jenis School Festival machine).

So the order of events is:
Renne gets left behind because of her parents debts ->
The place she's at gets attacked and burned down and she gets abducted by the DG Cult->
She gets experimented on survives the experiments and is "enhanced" not unlike Tio -> The DG Cult gets dismantled which frees her and she somehow lands at the place described in the star door -> she is rescued by Ouroboros?
I feel like I have the cults involvement not correct in this description.
Thanks in advance!
-------------
Nearing the end I think I'm going to be in the camp that thinks this is definitely one of the best kiseki games. It does make me wish for the occasional structural change given that all the other ones(can't speak to Ao) are rather similar. Feels like a bit of cheat though cause 3rd would work like at all without FC and SC it's only because I have a sense of the characters that things like (character reveal spoiler)
Richard's
story don't come off as empty but genuine. A lot of my favorite scenes are connected to that character and something I felt was a bit "anime" in SC becomes really earned here.

rickyson1

am I missing something here?

there's a door I found that needs 20 recipes to open and so far at the start of chapter 5 I only have 7,i'im pretty sure i've opened every single chest in the game thus far

just making sure there's not some other way to unlock recipes that i'm missing

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

there's a door I found that needs 20 recipes to open and so far at the start of chapter 5 I only have 7,i'im pretty sure i've opened every single chest in the game thus far

I've gotten recipes through doors too.
7 sounds really low though. Have you eaten all the food you get from chests?
Cause you only learn the recipe if you eat it.

Psxphile

Have you been eating food items? You automatically learn recipes that way. The only ones you find in the wild are food items you can't eat (attack cookies, etc.).

Top Bottom