• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| Time's the Charm

I want to play this, but so busy with other games and life. Just one question (about the trilogy on general) is Sara valestein in this while she's still a bracket? That'd move it up my priority list quite a bit.
AFAIK Sara's not in this game, and I'm not sure about either of the Crossbell titles. I think she was first introduced in Sen no Kiseki.

varkuriru

You'll never see it comiiiing...

hUQP571.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sun Door 1

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH I WAS SO CLOSE TO WINNING AGAINST GILBERT!!! An hour down the drain (yes, it took me that long)

Chapter 4

Who else thinks Olivers going to be even more of a menace to society than the black orbment Gospels ever were ?

Harsh truth , joshua ...

Such truth

Moonlight

Banned
One thing that really surprises me about the game is how enjoyable the Doors are in general. I got a little worried about the dungeoneering focus of the game and after the first door sort of expected them all to be optional cutscenes you'd get for completing combat trials, and while that's definitely true of a couple of them, I'm really impressed by how they managed to include all of the cool side-stuff that Trails does so singularly well in spite of the vastly different structure. In a certain way it's actually even better than the other games because the nature of the doors mean everything needs to be condensed to its' purest form.

One thing that really surprises me about the game is how enjoyable the Doors are in general. I got a little worried about the dungeoneering focus of the game and after the first door sort of expected them all to be optional cutscenes you'd get for completing combat trials, and while that's definitely true of a couple of them, I'm really impressed by how they managed to include all of the cool side-stuff that Trails does so singularly well in spite of the vastly different structure. In a certain way it's actually even better than the other games because the nature of the doors mean everything needs to be condensed to its' purest form.

This is part of the reason while it's my favorite Trails game.

It's everything I love about the series condensed to this tight little package of fairly nonstop goodness.

Can't wait for people to get further into the game.

Young Magus

Star Door 5
Have you ever felt like you gonna get fucked up bad and still was excited for a boss fight?

That's how I felt when you fight Alan. Even Silver Will kicked in :0

These rare weapon drops are so good. Found a gun in chapter 3 that is actually making Josette deal more damage than every other character.

Oh my god that dialogue during kloe chapter , lechter , anton , hans , everything's perfect ...

Oh i still kinda missed being able to talk to everyone in sight....

This is why trails is the best at world building

vkrili

Anyone got a good story summary for both FC and SC? I'd like to refresh my memory.

Estelle and Joshua stop a coup and become bracers, gaining many new friends and allies along the way. Joshua turns out to have been an Enforcer of Ouroboros when his broken spirit was repaired by Weissman after the Hamel incident. Weissman uses the Gospel Plan to drag the Liber Ark out of the dimension that Celeste Auslese had sealed it in, and wants to use the Aureole, which is the Sept-Terrion of Space, to make superhumans. Weissman tries to use the Stigma he had planted on Joshua to have him kill Estelle, but Kevin had used his Gralsritter powers to allow Joshua the chance to destroy it. The crew defeats Weissman and he runs away, but Kevin catches up to him and kills him by shooting a bolt at him that turns Weissman to salt. Campanella shows up and takes the Aureole. The game ends with Joshua and Estelle leaving Liberl to help other nations while they search for Renne.

Also: Chancellor Giliath Osborne of Erebonia attempted to invade Liberl under the pretext of 'aiding' them, but Olivier, actually Prince Olivert Reise Arnor of Erebonia, and Cassius manage to stop the invasion.

That's the absolute barebones. There's Let's Plays on the LPArchive if you want something meatier.

zakujanai

If any other gene did this much asset recycling it'd be terrible, but I'm enjoying this quite a bit so far. Chapter 2 is a nice break from the space dungeon, already got one of by favourites in the party now. I enjoyed him getting more screen time in star door 1, along with one of the best women in these games. I guess the Queen is a good female character to but my hatred of monarchy in real life gets in the way of me being able to appreciate her more.

My partner missed the start of Star door 1 because a neighbour came to collect their mail and I jokingly told her she was missing "Julia's Day Off" (in reference to Ferris Bueller) so it was mildly amusing to reach the end and see it was entitled exactly that.

vkrili

I want to play this, but so busy with other games and life. Just one question (about the trilogy on general) is Sara valestein in this while she's still a bracket? That'd move it up my priority list quite a bit.

And op mentioned going to places from the first two games. I was under the impression this
was a dungeon crawler taking place entirely inside someone's mind (or is that a spoiler?)
Sara isn't in the game, but her backstory is expanded upon.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Star door 15 / and Zero spoilers(cause I need clarification on the timeline of events)
What a gut punch. That was pretty sickening to read.
So can someone help me sort out the timeline on events?
Renne being in that situation is after the DG cult experiments?

Oh my god that dialogue during kloe chapter , lechter , anton , hans , everything's perfect ...

Oh i still kinda missed being able to talk to everyone in sight....

This is why trails is the best at world building
People sort of downplayed how there's still a good amount of NPC dialogue in 3rd because of Doors like this.

I think Moon 3's the most interesting Door I've sat through yet, and it does so much right as a dramatic episode and self-contained comedy. You've got surprising development for one Jenis regular (
Jill
), a different perspective on Kloe's thought process before FC (and how keeping track of
Lechter
helped), lots of tone changes and simultaneous contrasts which still work because the writing's subtle and ambiguous but not confusing, and a great conclusion which can be interpreted at least a few different ways. It's well worth the 2 hours or less I took.

Lechter really is bizarre, relaxing atop the union roof one second he's seen and absolutely out of sight the second after. If he's not using teleportation or invisiblity Arts/magic, then it's him stretching the limits of stealth escape (he's basically the Trails version of Droopy). But I believe he knew Kloe had finally outsmarted him in a way he couldn't answer. She kept prompting him to open up personally, rather than simply tease her into revealing more, and she wins by forcefully capturing and bringing him back to the council room when he truly least expected anyone to do it. It's no surprise why he suddenly left Jenis if, being a genius cheater who manipulates others, he had a crisis of pride and needed to retreat. Kloe herself would downplay the edge she has over Lechter, but for him, beating everyone else in the exams (without studying), getting a personal portrait co-starring Sieg, and appearing helpful to Dean Collins and the janitor all the time doesn't mean anything if he's unable to refute Kloe. As calculated as he is, Lechter expected her to either give up on him or confide in a different, less meaningful way before yanking him back to his job. Now I'd like to know if he's simply afraid of intellectual and/or empathetic rivals like Kloe

In a certain way it's actually even better than the other games because the nature of the doors mean everything needs to be condensed to its' purest form.
When even minor worldbuilding/character scenes in these Doors get as much attention as major plot points and conversations from the main arc, it's no wonder the script's been so polished and enriched.

Gu4n

Star door 15 / and Zero spoilers(cause I need clarification on the timeline of events)
What a gut punch. That was pretty sickening to read.
So can someone help me sort out the timeline on events?
Renne being in that situation is after the DG cult experiments?
(The 3rd spoilers/dates from Zero)
Renne is abducted in S.1196 and saved by Ouroboros late S.1196/early S.1197. So at the start of that door, she was about 5-years-old.

Now I feel sick again.

Also, not sure whether it's a Dorothy quirk or just an inconsistency error, but she congratulates Nial with his 30th birthday while it's his 31st (per birthday provided in the Jenis School Festival machine).

Eternia

Star Door 2 was indeed a chilling story.
It just hit me right there that it's unsettling the kind of power the Church have already used and where it came from.

Star Door 3 was a pleasant event I needed to see.
I really missed talking to NPCs in general. The world being quite empty (intentionally) has been bumming me out so having conversations with most of the major characters in one spot was great.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think I like the door stories more than I do any of the main stories in the other Trails games. They don't feel hinged to the central plot and can stand on their own. Characters can interact without the presence of the lead protagonist. Characters/areas can show up purely for the purpose of the narrative being told without the need to be shackled to any gameplay progression. Someone mentioned it distills the story down to a much purer form, and I think that's a really good way of putting it.

That said, this is the kind of game that can only work as an addendum to a world you already care about. It's the perfect epilogue to the other two Sky games.

It also makes me miss the 2D of the older games. At least Sen/Cold Steel III will actually look nice in 3D.

Young Magus

Ch.5
AWWWWWWWWWWW SHHHHHHHIIIITTTTTTTTT SON! THE MOMENT IVE BEEN WAITING FOR SINCE IVE GOT SPOILER YEARS AGO VIA YOUTUBE. RICHARD IN THE PARTY!

Also any tips for
Estelle
and Ries bulids?

desmax

Chapter 5 spoilers

Any tips for the boss? I can beat the 3 spiders, no issue; but the one that comes after beating them has this attack that regenerates a lot of HP.

Should I just throw my S-Crafts at it?

Massicot

Chapter 5 spoilers

Any tips for the boss? I can beat the 3 spiders, no issue; but the one that comes after beating them has this attack that regenerates a lot of HP.

Should I just throw my S-Crafts at it?

The trick to that fight for me was to use delay attacks.

Ascheroth

Holy crap you guys at chapter 4/5 already :O
I'm still in 2.

Also, the chests totally have different quotes at night that also count towards the achievement. Sneaky.
You don't have to tell me, game! I will be there Day 1 when it comes out on PC.
And please tell me Cold Steel also has chest quotes.

desmax

Holy crap you guys at chapter 4/5 already :O
I'm still in 2.

Also, the chests totally have different quotes at night that also count towards the achievement. Sneaky.

You don't have to tell me, game! I will be there Day 1 when it comes out on PC.
And please tell me Cold Steel also has chest quotes.

On console CS 1 doesn't have them.
CS 2 has "trial chests", which basically are trap chests, but they require you to fight with certain party members. Attempting to open them without the required people will give you a quote.

Basically

Droplet

Uuh, did anyone come across some battle lines that were left in Japanese? Specifically
the battle with Aina's uncle (when he shouts his orders) in Schera's moon door
. One of Estelle's lines in the fishing minigame when she loses a fish still seems to have a newline character (\n) in it too.

I'm also getting a loooot of frame dropping in some places. I got it in the last round of the fishing minigame, which seems to make it pretty much impossible. My roommate and I suspect that there's a memory leak somewhere. It certainly seems to fix itself when we save and restart, but obviously in some places (the fishing game) it can be kind of hard to do that.

vkrili

Uuh, did anyone come across some battle lines that were left in Japanese? Specifically
the battle with Aina's uncle (when he shouts his orders) in Schera's moon door
. One of Estelle's lines in the fishing minigame when she loses a fish still seems to have a newline character (n) in it too.

I'm also getting a loooot of frame dropping in some places. I got it in the last round of the fishing minigame, which seems to make it pretty much impossible. My roommate and I suspect that there's a memory leak somewhere. It certainly seems to fix itself when we save and restart, but obviously in some places (the fishing game) it can be kind of hard to do that.
Turn on hardware vertex shading.

Theswweet

Just beat the game. The entire last chapter is basically nonstop feels from beginning to ending, and easily cements it as my favorite in the series. It really strikes me just how mature and tactful it is, and how it's not afraid to get down-to-earth sentimental at times. I'm definitely never going to forget this game, and it might've just overtaken my spot for favorite game of all time.

Gu4n

Just beat the game. The entire last chapter is basically nonstop feels from beginning to ending, and easily cements it as my favorite in the series. It really strikes me just how mature and tactful it is, and how it's not afraid to get down-to-earth sentimental at times. I'm definitely never going to forget this game, and it might've just overtaken my spot for favorite game of all time.
Congratulations! The ending is indeed a perfect way to end an already unforgettable trilogy.

Ugh, in Chapter 2 I really REALLY was hoping
that Josette wouldn't still suck,
but she does. The fainting craft and a defense debuff that actually does damage (unlike the Zieg craft outside of FC) is all well and good, but Josette being weaker than even Kevin is very sad. I just attempted the new version of the big Chapter 1 SC boss, and I'm gonna have to shove her back in the bench.

Ascheroth

Ugh, in Chapter 2 I really REALLY was hoping
that Josette wouldn't still suck,
but she does. The fainting craft and a defense debuff that actually does damage (unlike the Zieg craft outside of FC) is all well and good, but Josette being weaker than even Kevin is very sad. I just attempted the new version of the big Chapter 1 SC boss, and I'm gonna have to shove her back in the bench.

Why would you even
not have her in the support spot? +20% drop rate and +30% Sepith is too useful.

DPB

After playing some more, I'm pleased with the difficulty level here compared to FC and SC. Standard encounters are still easy enough, but the boss battles are a lot more interesting - you get enemies that heal each other, reflect attacks, lots of status effects and large AoE attacks.

I found the Haze quartz not that long ago too, so I can skip most of the battles and fight bosses at a lower level, which is my preferred way of playing these games.

Top Bottom