• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| Time's the Charm

BluWacky

Well fuck me, I'm not even close to finishing FC, but I gotta support this.

This is the dilemma I am currently facing.

I'm maybe about halfway through FC. I'm only about a chapter in to Cold Steel 2.

I want to support the series - I don't LOVE it like some people do, but it's fun enough and I want to support quality JRPGs coming Westwards - but it just seems silly to spend £50 buying two games (SC and Third) that I am nowhere near getting around to at present.

I suspect, however, that if I wait to buy both games (but especially Third) then my purchase "won't count" in terms of making the localisation anywhere near profitable, worth doing again in future etc. etc.

'tis a dilemma!

Massicot

I remember typing out his callouts in English somewhere in a "monster" file but maybe it was a dummy file... Not uncommon with Falcom's stuff to have. I'll do a search and have that mishap patched later today with Sara's help.

I saw something similar with the first fight in the Nightmare arena with an NPC character, just a heads up.

weemaster

Can't wait to start this. Currently finishing up persona 5 and after that i feel like replaying the first two games before starting this one.

Gu4n

I found star door 3, but not star door 2. Did I miss something?

I'm in Grancel Castle
Oh, boy. You forgot one of the most important Kiseki rules: never neglect a church building!

I remember typing out his callouts in English somewhere in a "monster" file but maybe it was a dummy file... Not uncommon with Falcom's stuff to have. I'll do a search and have that mishap patched later today with Sara's help.
It's in AS01200. Also found untranslated strings in AS02140 and MS02710, but I think the latter is a Schera related dummy file.

...Why is there is a turn bonus that makes you do no damage? Are you meant to get that onto the enemy turns?
If you can't force an enemy on that turn, starting casting -- or manipulate the flow so your favourite caster gets to work on turn.

I hate dungeon grindy games, but love TitS.

Should I just play on easy if I want to experience the story?
There isn't a real grind, but the game is considerably harder than its two predecessors. Swapping equipment/orbments can be rather time consuming, so easy mode is recommend if you want to smooth progress.
Or equip Attack 4 on Tita in Chapter 3

I'm partway through Chapter 3 now, and it's really awesome.
The two different roads both are really cool, and I love the whole splitting the party up and then switching between them angle. That's always a really cool thing to do in an RPG. I did the Golden Road first, and the boss fight at the end was definitely a challenge (and really neat). Currently going through the Silver Road.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I'm partway through Chapter 3 now, and it's really awesome.
The two different roads both are really cool, and I love the whole splitting the party up and then switching between them angle. That's always a really cool thing to do in an RPG. I did the Golden Road first, and the boss fight at the end was definitely a challenge (and really neat). Currently going through the Silver Road.

If you're on hard mode, uh, be prepared. It has the toughest mandatory fight I've seen so far.

Thud

Star Door 2 is
in a room in the chapel

Enter the room left of the entrance and go upstairs

Oh, boy. You forgot one of the most important Kiseki rules: never neglect a church building!

I did, but I forgot to check the additional rooms! Anyhow I couldn't open it right away . So nothing of value is lost :p.

Finished Chapter 2 while I was at it.

Baliis

The Trails games are all pretty good about grinding. If you're under leveled for an area you get a ton of xp. If you're at/over leveled for an area, you hardly get any. Makes it easy to catch up, but difficult to just over level everything.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Not escaping a fight OR escaping from 300 fights net you a neat quartz at the end of the game.
Thanks! Sounds fun.
-----------
Regarding moon doors
Another question the achievement for moon doors says x/6.
But the UI part in game makes it seem like there are only 5.
Is there a hidden moon door or just a typo?
The amount of characters you get is truly staggering(especially gameplay wise man I don't have enough sepith and money to keep everyone gameplay ready :-x) and it's very interesting how each of them all integrate rather well and doesn't feel under served.
3rd is really a game that wouldn't work at all without playing the previous ones but it's great because it relies on the character work that was done in the previous games. Not quite done yet but I'd say it's also my favorite gameplay wise, I just love the pace and freedom you can progress with. It's a nice change for once to not have to worry about missing quest points and filling out the book.

Massicot

Thanks! Sounds fun.
-----------
Regarding moon doors
Another question the achievement for moon doors says x/6.
But the UI part in game makes it seem like there are only 5.
Is there a hidden moon door or just a typo?
The amount of characters you get is truly staggering(especially gameplay wise man I don't have enough sepith and money to keep everyone gameplay ready :-x) and it's very interesting how each of them all integrate rather well and doesn't feel under served.
3rd is really a game that wouldn't work at all without playing the previous ones but it's great because it relies on the character work that was done in the previous games. Not quite done yet but I'd say it's also my favorite gameplay wise, I just love the pace and freedom you can progress with. It's a nice change for once to not have to worry about missing quest points and filling out the book.

One of the doors has two parts.

Jolkien

Exploring a certain location in Chapter 2 and I stumble upon a rare enemies spawn that rains Time,Space, Mirage sepith. That was a nice surprise, now I wonder if I should farm for some more.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I like it because it flies in the face of what you may have trained yourself to do up until this point (abusing crafts).

Oh, it was a cool fight- a lot more fair than the SC hard mode tough fights, anyway.
I kind of ended up abusing crafts anyway- Tita and Ries' area attacks to clear the Max Guard (nice touch that there was two of those- the fake prepared his CP well) then La Forte'd S-breaks just about did the job. Still more thought than I put into a lot of bosses in FC/SC, thoughI can see how on nightmare you'd have to go the defence route, though you'd presumably still need to race against the healing?

I have missed the gameplay 'level' from the Sky games- it's nice to have to choose carefully what enemies to hit as opposed to nearly every craft in the game having a giant radius.

Just playing on Normal for my first time through, since I was under the impression that the Sky games weren't really balanced for higher difficulty modes.

That's fair enough, just warning people in general because I saw a couple of posters asking how Hard Mode was.

As mentioned above it's hard to actually 'grind', but if you mean you don't like dungeon crawling in general easy will probably get it over the quickest.

Ok I tried to download cheatengine and maybe I got the wrong link.
LSucego.png

Is there a version that doesn't try to install all this shitware?

Psxphile

I've been enjoying the game and taking it in at my own pace (in Chapter 2, just got
Joshua
). Still concerned that the game FMVs (including the updated ones that were patched into the previous titles) skip around so much... wasn't it bad enough that I can't get rid of this infernal stutter in-game (reduced but not completely gone) that it now has to plague me during video playback too?

0oceV6O.jpg

^ also what's up with this icon that shows up in the system tray whenever a video plays? XviD? I thought I deleted that codec years ago...

Ascheroth

Star Door 2:
Yoooooo, holy crap. This story about the Salt Pale was immensely intriguing and chilling. I'm also assuming Kevin is currently in the possesion of this... inhuman weapon. Holy crap.
This game is so good.

Hatsuu

XSEED
It's in AS01200. Also found untranslated strings in AS02140 and MS02710, but I think the latter is a Schera related dummy file./spoiler]

Thanks, but no need to worry about this stuff in the future. It's stuff we can find looking through the files ourselves. It's a bit weird when someone not involved with the project is telling us stuff down to the filenames...

Most issues being reported in general are known minor bugs that we're still working through. It's just the every odd typo missed that we're trying to clean up. Overall, definitely our smoothest launch by far, thankfully.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Star Door 2:
Yoooooo, holy crap. This story about the Salt Pale was immensely intriguing and chilling. I'm also assuming Kevin is currently in the possesion of this... inhuman weapon. Holy crap.
This game is so good.

Also gives you more perspective on Sara's past now knowing the exact thing that happened to her home. Makes me want to meet more faces of the northern jaegers.

Psxphile

Video playback is incredibly smooth for me, and I also don't get that icon. Maybe it's related?

Sara said in one of the Steam bug threads that ffdshow can cause the videos to lag but as far as I'm aware I don't have that installed on my system. I primarily use CCCP which uses LAV instead.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Do the stats for 'Ran away' reset on NG+? Asking for a friend.

Ran away from a single fight I couldn't be bothered with in Chapter 1 and I'm not about to restart now.

Gu4n

I'm 14 hours in, early chapter 4 right now. Loving every bit of it, and keep discovering new tidbits of lore I missed before. I particularly enjoy the unusual team combinations and dialogues these spawn.

Also, there are seeds for future instalments everywhere in this game: for the Crossbell arc, for the Erebonia arc, and beyond. Amazing.

Thanks, but no need to worry about this stuff in the future. It's stuff we can find looking through the files ourselves. It's a bit weird when someone not involved with the project is telling us stuff down to the filenames...

Most issues being reported in general are known minor bugs that we're still working through. It's just the every odd typo missed that we're trying to clean up. Overall, definitely our smoothest launch by far, thankfully.
OK, sure! Glad to hear things have been so smooth.

And Star Door 3 was just really sweet.
Lovely seeing all of those characters again, hearing some great music (I definitely had a rush of glee when Let's Be Lively kicked in at the start of the party) and getting followups on so many different characters post SC. And that fireworks scene at the end was just beautiful.
I still have to view Zin's doors since I just got him, but Star 3 does a really great job characterizing
the kind of leader figure Kloe's becoming, and Joshua nearly crying when thanking Kevin for his freedom is fascinating to contrast with how they chat at the start of Chapter 4. I like the implication that Estelle's not gonna have any trouble accompanying Joshua on his journey, but she could have had more of a moment than just cat-fighting with Josette over food

On CH.4 right now,
Ries gettin fed up with Kevin's BS was a good way to start the chapter and the flashbacks in each chapter's intro is working well with the lord's/knights double speak to Kevin that happens after a big boss fight. The story tells you so much with so little and its a nice build up. Also, Joshua did his homework and quickly pickes up on Kevin's true role in SC, tho I'm not too shocked he caught on quick
Some crazy implications start just with Ries and Joshua confronting Kevin right here. It's pretty obvious from the flashbacks (which all distort what really happened, ex. Don reminiscing on the Capuas' lost life but with Josette and Kyle's at their current age on-screen) how much Kevin's either repressed over time or has lied about to his companions. Ries's moment is so well-scripted, but I also like Joshua's because he puts on an interesting poker face even when Kevin brags about how he manipulated Estelle and then Joshua simply to get a moment alone with Weissmann. Joshua probably knows Kevin's bluffing when he says he cared fairly little about saving Cassius's son, and so Kevin's already shedding part of his disguise
. Kevin seems to mirror Joshua's internal conflict, but without the
broken-doll
metaphor and something more disturbing underneath.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really wish I had more time to play this game. I just started Chapter 3 last night. So far it's looking like it might be my favorite Trails game so far. Curse you, life responsibilities!

Young Magus

Some crazy implications start just with Ries and Joshua confronting Kevin right here. It's pretty obvious from the flashbacks (which all distort what really happened, ex. Don reminiscing on the Capuas' lost life but with Josette and Kyle's at their current age on-screen) how much Kevin's either repressed over time or has lied about to his companions. Ries's moment is so well-scripted, but I also like Joshua's because he puts on an interesting poker face even when Kevin brags about how he manipulated Estelle and then Joshua simply to get a moment alone with Weissmann. Joshua probably knows Kevin's bluffing when he says he cared fairly little about saving Cassius's son, and so Kevin's already shedding part of his disguise
. Kevin seems to mirror Joshua's internal conflict, but without the
broken-doll
metaphor and something more disturbing underneath.

EXACTLY.
Thats why it made so much sense for Joshua to confront Kevin. Not only he went though the same conflicts of keeping folks at a distance but also hes had a history of picking up on trails and plots, e.x the scene with wessimenn in the last hour of FC. Hell he might've thought something was up with Kevin during SC

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Lol spoiler regarding Schwarzritter I think(it's an observation/guess I have although if true it's definitely a spoiler)
So is the weird Schwarzritter dude Loewe?
I just had a moment in the game with Joshua making a very interesting *deep in thought/sad face* when the topic comes up around him. That hinting at some emotional connection + in typical fashion his hair color possibly being a very big give away.

Anyone who's beaten SC knows who Schwarzritter appears to be.

EXACTLY.
Thats why it made so much sense for Joshua to confront Kevin. Not only he went though the same conflicts of keeping folks at a distance but also hes had a history of picking up on trails and plots, e.x the scene with wessimenn in the last hour of FC. Hell he might've thought something was up with Kevin during SC
I really wonder if Estelle's going have to a similar connection with Ries later on.

Soph

Alright finished Second Chapter on Hard finally, time to start up the 3rd! This game is supposed to be the hardest right? So best not start on Nightmare?

Alright finished Second Chapter on Hard finally, time to start up the 3rd! This game is supposed to be the hardest right? So best not start on Nightmare?

How'd ya like it? :) It's personally my favorite of the four I've played (bought the 3rd but MAC PROBLEMS so really can't play it atm)

Jolkien

Remind me guys, can we double buff in the skies game, I forgot ? I know we can in Cold Steel but I totally forgot in these.

Top Bottom