• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| Time's the Charm

Star Door 14, Cold Steel 1 spoilers:

So surely someone by now has put up valid theories on who the other Anguis/Grandmaster is? It seems like there's tons of hints within the dialogue. One of them is in control of the 13 factories, one of them says "hee hee" repeatedly, etc.

I've only played Cold Steel 1 and not 2/Crossbell yet, so ignore me if this is pointless speculation on already revealed characters, but if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

After CS 1 I was convinced Osbourne is the Grandmaster and he faked his assassination. It's been a year since I played it so maybe this makes no sense.

So surely someone by now has put up valid theories on who the other Anguis/Grandmaster is? It seems like there's tons of hints within the dialogue. One of them is in control of the 13 factories, one of them says "hee hee" repeatedly, etc.

I've only played Cold Steel 1 and not 2/Crossbell yet, so ignore me if this is pointless speculation on already revealed characters, but if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

After CS 1 I was convinced Osbourne is the Grandmaster and he faked his assassination. It's been a year since I played it so maybe this makes no sense.

all i can is that there's one Anguis in CS 1-2... didn't do Zero and Ao, but i assume there's at least one in them too

as for the Grandmaster, nobody knows, maybe in CS 3?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

I'm pretty sure
13 factories man was namedropped in SC- he's not appeared on screen in any game I've played though. Anguis 4 I've seen the theory that he's Lechter from the other doors, which is apparently more explicit in japanese due to the sentence enders they both use? 2 is Vita from CS1, and one of them is namedropped in CS2 and I think appears in Zero/Ao.

And the Grandmaster is obviously Dorothy. I mean, obviously.

Tonton

all i can is that there's one Anguis in CS 1-2... didn't do Zero and Ao, but i assume there's at least one in them too

as for the Grandmaster, nobody knows, maybe in CS 3?
CS2 mentions another Anguis that appears in Zero/Ao, dunno if there are any others in those games

Major series spoilers for all 7 games:

Between all 7 games, we know of 5 of the Anquis, the 2nd, 3rd (was Weissmann, then this spot gets filled again in Ao), 6th and 7th. We know nothing of the identities of the Grandmaster (other than an audio drama where they were voiced by a woman), 1st, 4th and 5th.

Nyoro SF

Major series spoilers for all 7 games:

Between all 7 games, we know of 5 of the Anquis, the 2nd, 3rd (was Weissmann, then this spot gets filled again in Ao), 6th and 7th. We know nothing of the identities of the Grandmaster (other than an audio drama where they were voiced by a woman), 1st, 4th and 5th.

We also have really big, obvious hints for
the 4th and 5th Anguis identities, and there aren't many candidates left for the 1st, either.

[Sky the 3rd, CS I]
I think that the Sixth Anguis is most likely the Pater-Mater project leader who's name-dropped in Star Door 10, Professor Novartis.

The "hee hee" one is the Second Anguis who reveals herself at the end of CS I, Vita Clotilde.

[Sky the 3rd, CS I]
I think that the Sixth Anguis is most likely the Pater-Mater project leader who's name-dropped in Star Door 10, Professor Novartis.

The "hee hee" one is the Second Anguis who reveals herself at the end of CS I, Vita Clotilde.

Novartis is what I was thinking, since we got some more info on him in this game. I totally forgot that the opera singer revealed herself in CS1!

I absolutely love how detailed the foreshadowing is in these games, but due to their length and the years in between playing, I can never remember half of the details! I need to play CS2 in the next few months.

The end of Chapter 6 was great.
I was expecting a tougher fight with it being Loewe and all (especially considering how tough he was at the end of SC), but I beat that on the first try without any real challenge. Although I guess maybe that was intentional to show how the characters have gotten stronger in the months since then. It was nice to see Joshua being able to move on from things, and the conclusion of the chapter was really good. Overall, Chapter 6 was just a great chapter, with such a variety of areas and character focus in it.

The start of Chapter 7 (including the conclusion of Kevin's backstory) was just astonishing, and probably some of the most captivating story material I've seen yet in a Trails game.
Geez, Kevin's whole life his dark. I can't believe his mother tried to kill him. And while I saw him being responsible for Rufina's death coming, I didn't see the Lord of Phantasma's identity reveal coming until just a minute or so before it happened.

This game is so good; even beyond the normal level for the series. Wow.

This game is basically a Kiseki fandisc and the whole premise/setting mostly an excuse to execute on that, but it's really well done with some of the best writing in the series.

I like that the game keeps finding excuses to give Richard his military uniform despite not being in the military anymore just so Falcom doesn't have to make a new character model for him.

FLD

Holy shit, the Chapter 6
Cassius fight
is some goddamn bullshit! I don't think I'm underleveled, my equipment and orbment loadouts are about as good as they could possibly be and I can bring him down to the last third of his health but that motherfucker keeps wiping my entire party by getting like 3 turns in a row out of fucking nowhere. UGH! It's so frustrating...

Holy shit, the Chapter 6
Cassius fight
is some goddamn bullshit! I don't think I'm underleveled, my equipment and orbment loadouts are about as good as they could possibly be and I can bring him down to the last third of his health but that motherfucker keeps wiping my entire party by getting like 3 turns in a row out of fucking nowhere. UGH! It's so frustrating...

That fight is definitely a bitch (but it feels appropriately so). Even with a good strategy, there's still a fair amount of luck involved, and it took me quite a few times (I even had one occasion where I had him to under 1000 health, but never got another turn to attack).

FLD

That fight is definitely a bitch (but it feels appropriately so). Even with a good strategy, there's still a fair amount of luck involved, and it took me quite a few times (I even had one occasion where I had him to under 1000 health, but never got another turn to attack).

It's certainly a fight that should be very challenging but that was just unfair lol.

Anyway, I ended up abusing retry offset (twice), which I usually try to avoid. I feel so dirty. :(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I like that the game keeps finding excuses to give Richard his military uniform despite not being in the military anymore just so Falcom doesn't have to make a new character model for him.

He already had a civilian model in SC. It was a boring look though and they would have had to redo all his existing combat spritework.

Holy shit, the Chapter 6
Cassius fight

When he use his skill to raise his stats is the moment when you need to finish it quickly .. no matter the difficulty.
It's frustrating but it's worth it

He already had a civilian model in SC. It was a boring look though and they would have had to redo all his existing combat spritework.

So then Olivier was right after all!

AIorR8Y.jpg

Kvik

I think by Chapter 6 everybody should be decked out in Onyx, Wood and Sapphire Gems. This way SPD will be about 80-90 and Kloe should have the time to buff everyone with Clock UP EX, whilst Joshua decked out with CP auto-buff spamming Evil Eye in every opportunity.

They gave Schera a new look for no real reason though.

She's cuter in that new hairdo.

Err, wouldn't it just be a matter of importing the previous model's animations and just putting them through the usual pre-render pipeline?

The story reasons for why Richard is still in his army uniform make perfect sense, and while those very well could have been just to spare the extra work, considering that they went to the effort of giving Schera a new look I doubt that. It's kind of important to his frame of mind during the game.

Tigerfog

Finally beat it. Definitely my favorite Trails of game so far. Writing was so good. I was disappointed that in the after everything
Renne still run away after Joshua and Estelle tell her they want to be her family
. Is the conclusion to that in Ao/Zero?

That's right. The conclusion to that specific point is at the end of Zero no Kiseki.

Got to plane 4 and I'm really starting to get why some people really do love this game
Kevin is probably the most well written and complex main character of any JRPG I've ever played. The back to back scenes of Ries calling out his bull shit and Joshua acknowledging how Kevin basically put him and Estelle through hell for his mission was so expertly done I can't think of many developers who could have pulled it off

WHEW. Finally got a chance to get several hours in.

Fighting Right On is a common battle theme! LAWDAMERCY that's too much (almost). I ain't complaining.

I have added to my Trails Faces collection quite a bit from just two new characters. Excellent.

Really liking some of the returning characters in this getting a "seasoning" and/or maturing from their previous adventures/growing up.

SO MUCH LORE.

SerRodrik

Done.

Great game, I adored all the little details the doors added. Like
what Cassius was up to during the first game, which was a plot detail I never expected to be elaborated on.

I guess my next stop is the Cold Steel games. I'm going to miss these characters though.

desmax

WHEW. Finally got a chance to get several hours in.

Fighting Right On is a common battle theme! LAWDAMERCY that's too much (almost). I ain't complaining.

I have added to my Trails Faces collection quite a bit from just two new characters. Excellent.

Really liking some of the returning characters in this getting a "seasoning" and/or maturing from their previous adventures/growing up.

SO MUCH LORE.

Nope, Determination of Fight is the main one

speaking of schera, about the ending of 3rd :

i always thought that schera and olivier would make a good couple.... and the ending seems to hints that olivier asker her about that.... hope it will be answered in one game

Arthea

Given how soon you're given Haze quartz in 3rd, you should always surprise enemies.

yeah, sometimes things just don't go according to the plan, especially when you are trying to avoid that battle and fail.
good that it happens not that often, bad when it happens with earthquake worms on steroids

Knurek

yeah, sometimes things just don't go according to the plan, especially when you are trying to avoid that battle and fail.
good that it happens not that often, bad when it happens with earthquake worms on steroids

Solution: Always keep one of the heavy hitters above 100 CP.

vkrili

I think by Chapter 6 everybody should be decked out in Onyx, Wood and Sapphire Gems. This way SPD will be about 80-90
I loaded up my save because I felt that was too low and checked what everyone's speed was before that fight.

Kevin had 139, Estelle had 119, Joshua had 109 and Richard had 111.

Ah Damn that end of chapter 7 is something.

How the hell did he get thrown in gehenna ? How the heck did he manage to gather 7 high ranking devils pursuing him ?

No wonder #0 is spending so much time with him, he kept delivering on all fronts of the comedy

Top Bottom