• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon |OT| - Bigger, Badder, Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
It can't possibly be worse than Revenge of the Fallen.

Actually, I shouldn't say that.

Anyway, I was planning on skipping any third instalment after that previous thing, but: (1) whoever is in charge of marketing the franchise is doing the third consecutive home run because damn they make the movie look enticing, and (2) it appears Bay is somewhat aware of how shit the previous one was.

If everything goes wrong and I end up suffering through a bad movie again, at least I'll be paying my respects to the inevitably amazing sound and special effects.

:bow ILM

Solo

Its interesting how time/the second film colors things. I recall the first movie was quite well received here, but based on this thread you'd never think so.

Solo said:
Its interesting how time/the second film colors things. I recall the first movie was quite well received here, but based on this thread you'd never think so.

spiderman356k.gif

Dead

well not really...yet
Could this potentially be the first Trilogy where the 3rd is the best, and 2nd worst?

I can't think of any others at the top of my head...

- J - D -

Dead said:
Could this potentially be the first Trilogy where the 3rd is the best, and 2nd worst?

Iron Man. Well, that's a bit early to judge, but IM2 sucked so hard I can't imagine the 3rd being any worse.

Also, uh, Star Wars prequel trilogy?

Dead said:

Indiana Jones.

Last Crusade > Raiders > Temple of Doom.

THERE WERE ONLY THREE MOVIES!

I do want to see this. It's going to be a stupid, dumb movie, but the action looks good.

Everything about the wingsuits has been great so far. I liked the part in the feature where one of the stunt guys says "Michael Bay was watching the news and there was a segment about wingsuits. He thought it was cool and it's now a scene in the movie"

The actual movie clip has a line like "WE GOTTA GET IN CLOSE. A WINGSUIT IS OUR ONLY OPTION."

Fuck yeah, Michael Bay. I hope the wingsuit scenes are as cool as skydiving from Point Break.

Dead

well not really...yet
Linkzg said:
I do want to see this. It's going to be a stupid, dumb movie, but the action looks good.

Everything about the wingsuits has been great so far. I liked the part in the feature where one of the stunt guys says "Michael Bay was watching the news and there was a segment about wingsuits. He thought it was cool and it's now a scene in the movie"

The actual movie clip has a line like "WE GOTTA GET IN CLOSE. A WINGSUIT IS OUR ONLY OPTION."

Fuck yeah, Michael Bay. I hope the wingsuit scenes are as cool as skydiving from Point Break.
lol, during the Micheal Bay and James Cameron meet, Cameron said he came up with the skydiving stuff in Point Break just from a thought he had while in a plane and Bay was like "I thought of the building crumbling in TF3 while doing crunches"

iirate

sionyboy said:
Indiana Jones.

Last Crusade > Raiders > Temple of Doom.

THERE WERE ONLY THREE MOVIES!

The only problem here is that, well, you're dead wrong.

Raiders >>> Last Crusade > Temple of Doom

Transformers 2 was dogshit, but damn if the marketing for this film isn't working on me. Seeing the trailer in IMAX...holy shit, it was awesome. Not gonna be burned for the third time, though.

Solo said:
But that was always bullshit. S-M2 was great in 2004 and still is now.

It really wasn't.

Solo

Lionel Mandrake said:

What I said then:

Well, I have now seen this year's most highly touted blockbuster, and guess what? It is a Michael Bay movie, through and through. All the positive and (mostly) negative things that come with a Bay production are all present and accounted for here. The over-saturated look to the film? Check. The slow-motion money shots? Check. The abundance of cheese? Check. The now-imfamous Bay tracking shot circling a character? Check. A 90 minute movie stretched into something an hour longer? Check.

Now, not everything that is wrong with the movie is Bay's fault. In fact, I had fewer issues with the Bay-isms than I did with the overwhelming stupidity of the movie itself (although I did feel that the this was Bay's worst edited movie; there is a usual slickness to his movies that I didn't find here). In short, I guess I am blaming the source material for a lot of the issues, as crazy as that sounds. Giant robots who can shift into a variety of highly-pimped GM vehicles come to earth to fight over a MacGuffin, er, a giant cube? One which just happens to be located under the Hoover Dam, along with the Darth Vader of robots? Said robots who are advanced enough to bring down the defence network in less than a minute, yet can't stop a teenage boy? One of my most hated cliches is "just turn you brain off and enjoy it". What? Blockbusters can be plenty entertaining without treating the audience like idiots, thank you very much.

I didn't hate everything, as evidence by my passing score. Just pretty much the entire screenplay, some of Bay's usual wankery, the editing, the bland musical score, and a good chunk of the acting. Alright, that does make it sound like I hated everything, but really, there was a fair bit to enjoy here. As much as many, myself included, rag on Bay, he really knows how to shoot an action scene. Bay as usual is at his best when the shit hits the fan. The movie contained several of the most exciting action scenes in recent memory, so kudos to Bay and the effects team there. The CG in the movie is spectacular, and possibly the very best ever up to this moment in time. I really dug the look of the Autobots and how real they looked when they shifted shapes (my only gripe is that Prime and Bumblebee aside, most of the other 'bots were pretty generic looking, and often hard to tell apart).

The best parts of the movie were threefold: Shia LaBeouf, the humor, and the Spielberg-ian first hour of the movie. I am starting to see why LaBeouf is becoming the next big star in Hollywood. He has that every-man look to him, so we identify with him, and he has really strong comedic skills. Speaking of comedy, the biggest and best surprise for me was how funny the movie was in certain scenes (namely the scene in Sam's house with the Autobots outdoors, and anything Sam's hilarious mother said). Those scenes in particular, along with the nice relationships between Sam and his dad, and Sam and Bumblebee, felt straight out of a Spielberg Transformers movie (had he ever made one), and I really liked that. Perhaps if Spielberg had directed, then the film would have had soul, something which the final Bay product lacked. In fact, that is a nice way to sum up Tranformers: pretty, funny, but shallow and ultimately soulless. Don't go out of your way to see it, but at the same time, don't pass it up if the opportunity arises to catch it.

Man, I can't recall the last time I wrote something that long. Not a single fuck do I give anymore for that. Brevity is a virtue. Also, I think Im more postive on it now then I was then.

Also, I love the score - WTF 2007 Solo?

mjc

Solo said:
What I said then:

Man, I can't recall the last time I wrote something that long. Not a single fuck do I give anymore for that. Brevity is a virtue. Also, I think Im more postive on it now then I was then.

Also, I love the score - WTF 2007 Solo?
I agree, the first one is largely entertaining. Flawed, but entertaining.

Solo said:
But that was always bullshit. S-M2 was great in 2004 and still is now.
Sadly, the gif rings true for many here. Also, The Dark Knight came along and most champion that more, even if Spidey 2 is the best comic book movie ever made.

Dead

well not really...yet
Man, the first Transformers is just pure distilled popcorn entertainment. Sure theres a number of scenes that are totally extrenuous, but overall, its the very definition of Blockbuster.

If this is even better, this will be a great time at the movies.

TUROK

This movie is going to be so packed with action that I might just spontaneously combust in the movie theater. I can't wait to see it.

Solo

Dead said:
Man, the first Transformers is just pure distilled popcorn entertainment. Sure theres a number of scenes that are totally extrenuous, but overall, its the very definition of Blockbuster.

Definitely. Great balance of spectacle and humor. The second is utter dogshit. Im hopeful this one will be as good as or better than the first one.

G-Fex

G-Fex said:
Yeah I have a feeling that they will just be secondary characters and eyecandy special effects orgy meanwhile the story will concentrate on a stupid human couple perhaps? Maybe a kid or kids and their family? Maybe tom cruise even?

yeah, hollywood ftw.

LOOK AT THAT! I called it years ago before the first movie came out.

I CALLED IT!

Dead said:

If this is even better, this will be a great time at the movies.

I would accept the definition of popcorn entertainment, but these days the word blockbuster gets thrown around way too easily for any big-budget flick that makes a decent profit.

Puddles

Banned
Solo said:
My gut feeling tells me this is going to be one of the very best blockbusters of this summer, like the first was in 2007. Kind of hilarious since the second was unequivocally the worst blockbuster of 2009.

LMAO.

Transformers (2007) was a terrible, terrible film.

I really loved the first one, yet completed hated the second..... so I have no idea what I'm gonna think of this one lol. Its weird going in with 0 hype really, being such a TF fan, but thats what the 2nd movie did to me.

Also I don't like the new girl.

JdFoX187

Banned
I loved the first movie, and fairly liked the second. There were some stupid fucking moments, and the treatment of Devastator was absolutely wretched. But it still had some great action. Hoping they toned down some of the ridiculous shit from the second and make this a more streamlined war movie. It appears that's what they're doing, but all of the action scenes shown appear to be from the climatic battle in Chicago. Hope they're just hiding a bunch of it for later.

MechDX

Started playing the videogame today. If Mirage is anything in the movie like the character in the game
he is a complete jackass to humans

Despera

Banned
Any reports on the quality and intensity of the 3D effect in this?

Hopefully it aint as shitty as 99% of these so called 3D movies.

ezekial45

Banned
I get the impression that this movie is going to try and be too serious. The first movie did a good job with balancing things, so i hope they try and follow that.

the chris

Despera said:

One person said in the Green Lantern thread how the 3D effects in the Transformers trailer was more impressive than the 3D effects in Green Lantern, take that for what you will though.

ezekial45 said:
I get the impression that this movie is going to try and be too serious. The first movie did a good job with balancing things, so i hope they try and follow that.
As long as it doesn't go over the top with stupidity like the second one.

duckroll

I'm going to make a blind guess, but I'll say TF3 should average out at around 70% fresh on RT.

Despera said:

TF3 will be the best 3D movie (in terms of 3D visuals) since Avatar. That much is known for a fact.

TUROK

Jack Scofield said:
Only fans of the films are allowed in this thread?
No idea where you got that from. Debating on the quality of the previous films is obviously fair game, but "lol Transformers is terrible" is just blatant douchebaggery.

artist

Banned
the chris said:
One person said in the Green Lantern thread how the 3D effects in the Transformers trailer was more impressive than the 3D effects in all of Green Lantern, take that for what you will though.
Corrected.

JdFoX187

Banned
TUROK said:
No idea where you got that from. Debating on the quality of the previous films is obviously fair game, but "lol Transformers is terrible" is just blatant douchebaggery.
Especially from someone who has posted essays in the past decrying how shitty Transformers is.

just in case you couldn't wait another 3 hours, Transformers: Dark of the Moon will open in select 3D & IMAX theaters on Tuesday the 28th at 9pm. Paramount projecting $150m in 5 days.

Phloxy

Expendable. said:
just in case you couldn't wait another 3 hours, Transformers: Dark of the Moon will open in select 3D & IMAX theaters on Tuesday the 28th at 9pm. Paramount projecting $150m in 5 days.

Any listing of theatres?

artist

Banned
Expendable. said:
lowballin'

TF1 did $133M in 5 days.
TF2 did $200M in 5 days.

JdFoX187

Banned
irfan said:
lowballin'
There's a lot of good will to be made after Revenge of the Fallen. X-Men: First Class was an awesome movie and well received by critics, but was significantly hurt by its predecessors. I predict the same here. Dark of the Moon will no doubt cross $300 million, but I don't know if it'll hit $400 million again.

Dead

well not really...yet
Despera said:

Unanimous opinion seems to be that Transformers 3 is the first film to really make use of 3D since Avatar and that everything in between has been a joke in comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom