• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers Devastation (Platinum Games) boss videos on Facebook

naib

Far as I can recall 3 good TF games were mainly shooters but were all good in their own way:
The PS2 TF Armada game
The Cybertron games by High Moon Studios

If you have a decent pc or laptop, the HM studios games on sale every Winter and summer sale so def. check them out.
While the designs aren't G1 precisely the characters are based on G1 and it has many references to it.
I will. Thanks!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It looks quite repetitive and looks to have little replay value. I'm having a hard time getting excited for this.

It's a character action game. Replay value is inherently tied to higher difficulties, working towards higher encounter grading, and whatever unlocks/secrets are to be found and earned. Most character action game repetition lives and die on enjoyment, structuring, and pacing of encounters, along with variants of in-between sequences to make the flow interesting.

And at worst this looks serviceable in all those areas.

It's a character action game. Replay value is inherently tied to higher difficulties, working towards higher encounter grading, and whatever unlocks/secrets are to be found and earned. Most character action game repetition lives and die on enjoyment, structuring, and pacing of encounters, along with variants of in-between sequences to make the flow interesting.

And at worst this looks serviceable in all those areas.

Worth $50? Or should it be cheaper?

So is this going to be shitty like their last licensed game or what?

By all accounts this is a full featured game more like Bayo or Revengeance than Korra.

Look, the last game was $15? What were you people expecting, exactly?

Don't respond to PadWarrior, he has a habit of just going into a topic and saying I DON'T LIKE THING because he can.

By all accounts this is a full featured game more like Bayo or Revengeance than Korra.

Don't respond to PadWarrior, he has a habit of just going into a topic and saying I DON'T LIKE THING because he can.

?? I think you have me confused with someone else.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Worth $50? Or should it be cheaper?

Value is subjective. Unless it turns out to be a shit game it will be, to me, worth $50. Rising was fairly short and seemed a bit rushed to me, and had fewer unlocks other Platinum titles like Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101, but it was still worth full price on release to me and I wound up playing through it like...five or six times, excluding chapter replays. I actually bought it twice; first on PS3 then on PC.

But I love character action games and find them immensely replayable when they're well designed, which Platinum's titles always are. It's like a platformer; I don't just play to the last level and call it quits. I insist on finding all the little collectables, unlock bonus stages, and get good scores because that's where the replay values lies.

Fmal

Banned

There are plenty of $15 games that aren't boring and shitty.

Def. worth $50. Keep in mind that MG Rising released on consoles for $60, and while it's a short game it's replayability helped it.

Value is subjective. Unless it turns out to be a shit game it will be, to me, worth $50. Rising was fairly short and seemed a bit rushed to me, and had fewer unlocks other Platinum titles like Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101, but it was still worth full price on release to me and I wound up playing through it like...five or six times, excluding chapter replays. I actually bought it twice; first on PS3 then on PC.

But I love character action games and find them immensely replayable when they're well designed, which Platinum's titles always are. It's like a platformer; I don't just play to the last level and call it quits. I insist on finding all the little collectables, unlock bonus stages, and get good scores because that's where the replay values lies.

Thanks for the responses.

naib

?? I think you have me confused with someone else.
Well, you're still here bumping the tread.

Everyone else is excited or curious. It's a little early to hate on it. We can do that Tuesday.

Edit : I said I was tapping out. Sorry.
Just let us old folks be excited for a couple days. :)

Yeah. It's all about the replay value and how much you want to put into it. Metal Gear Rising took me 5-6 hours on my first playthrough, but my time counter read 27 hours by the time I got the platinum. If I like Transformers, I expect I'll also go for 100% trophies, which I can see taking a similar amount of time with 5 difficulties, 5 characters to beat the game as, and 50 challenge missions. 20-30 hours is easily worth $50 to me.

I don't know what the game calls witch time, but I don't care because I will be calling it Prime Time.

Everything about this is sounding fantastic. All the footage looks good. Parries, upgrading, wailing electric guitars. Take my money, Platinum.

I don't know what the game calls witch time, but I don't care because I will be calling it Prime Time.

Everything about this is sounding fantastic. All the footage looks good. Parries, upgrading, wailing electric guitars. Take my money, Platinum.

"Focus" according to the introduction. But Prime Time is way better even if it's not just Prime that can do it.

Grief.exe

The cool thing about Beast Wars was it played around with time travel, Voyager leading Megatron to earth, and came full circle with the G1 series.

The latter was mindblowing to me as a kid, the lore of Beast Wars was pretty interesting.

Well, you're still here bumping the tread.

Everyone else is excited or curious. It's a little early to hate on it. We can do that Tuesday.

Edit : I said I was tapping out. Sorry.
Just let us old folks be excited for a couple days. :)

Old folks? Dude I grew up with Transformers. Been watching G1 since it debuted in 84. G1 is my jam. I want a good G1 game that's why I came to this thread and have been doing tons of video watching. No hate from me. Just because my opinion so far has been different from most here doesn't make me a hater.

just gotta wait till this tuesday!!!!

how hard do we gotta beg for Drift DLC???

Have they hinted at any DLC? Besides the preorders?

biteren

Old folks? Dude I grew up with Transformers. Been watching G1 since it debuted in 84. G1 is my jam. I want a good G1 game that's why I came to this thread and have been doing tons of video watching. No hate from me. Just because my opinion so far has been different from most here doesn't make me a hater.

its fine, you got concerns. i once saw somone play Rising on a Ustream and began questioning the lenth of the game before i got bombarded with STFU Hater!! over all the game was a good lenth that i played multiple times.

your getting a quality Transformers game. unless you dont like devil May Cry or somthin...

Monocle

The cool thing about Beast Wars was it played around with time travel, Voyager leading Megatron to earth, and came full circle with the G1 series.

The latter was mindblowing to me as a kid, the lore of Beast Wars was pretty interesting.
Yeah, it was way more ambitious than it had to be. Lots of neat tie-ins with the earlier series. Some great cameos from G1 characters.

Justinh

Oh yeah. Didn't they find The Ark and actual Optimus Prime was there just like...hibernating or something? I can't remember what happened, I just remembered he was hueg!

Karak

Have they hinted at any DLC? Besides the preorders?

Actually ya. I don't see anything wrong at all with what your worried about. Whether this fulfills it is going to be answered later.

There is most assuredly a couple categories of lovers of these kinds of games. Those that want a very in depth but varied long game-play experience and those that are ok with a far shorter experience with things like the challenge levels and stuff like that and perhaps get their variety from timers, combat adjustment and loot. And probably 100 subdivisions between those or a mix of those.

Did you mess around with the unlockable difficulties or challenge mode at all? Wondering if they hold up.

Well they are basically Batman challenge rooms. If you like that sort of thing you will probably be happy.

Amedo310

Not that it means much, but game feels already better than the Japanese Takara Transformers beat em up on PS2 and I'm a huge fan of that game.

Karak

So they don't have any inherent...issues? Like Rising's slow ass unskippable intro animation that plays every time you retry a challenge?

Oh gotcha. No. You go into the mission select, select your difficulty and jump. Its also nice because you still get collectibles so grinders will love it. And they included the equip and upgrade menus in the challenge area. So you can do all that from one menu.

Oh gotcha. No. You go into the mission select, select your difficulty and jump. Its also nice because you still get collectibles so grinders will love it. And they included the equip and upgrade menus in the challenge area. So you can do all that from one menu.

YNbv9ZV.gif

its fine, you got concerns. i once saw somone play Rising on a Ustream and began questioning the lenth of the game before i got bombarded with STFU Hater!! over all the game was a good lenth that i played multiple times.

your getting a quality Transformers game. unless you dont like devil May Cry or somthin...
Only played the 1st one briefly and it felt fine to me.
Actually ya. I don't see anything wrong at all with what your worried about. Whether this fulfills it is going to be answered later.

There is most assuredly a couple categories of lovers of these kinds of games. Those that want a very in depth but varied long game-play experience and those that are ok with a far shorter experience with things like the challenge levels and stuff like that and perhaps get their variety from timers, combat adjustment and loot. And probably 100 subdivisions between those or a mix of those.

Well they are basically Batman challenge rooms. If you like that sort of thing you will probably be happy.

Can you replay any boss battle you want?

You can replay the chapters, and many of the boss battles or their pre-battles are challenge rooms.

Even that sounds pretty interesting compared to standard character action fare - the shooting mechanics really look to mix things up in a positive way. But yeah, an easy boss rematch option was the number one thing I wanted from Rising, and it was added into the eventual PC port. With 50 challenges, I'm hoping most or all the boss fights are represented.

HOLY SHIT THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED

3O7EcOL.gif

Monocle

In terms of content and bonus stuff, is this game at least comparable to Metal Gear Rising? I felt like that game was pretty packed for a shortish title with a rushed development.

TreIII

Already had this sucker preordered, but now I'm even more anxious for this puppy to arrive. So much good stuff...

In terms of content and bonus stuff, is this game at least comparable to Metal Gear Rising? I felt like that game was pretty packed for a shortish title with a rushed development.

Just eyeballing completion times on Youtube playthroughs, it looks to be (game time spoilers)
a bit shorter than Rising - somewhere around 4-5 hours in length
, though it has way more challenge missions (50 vs Rising's 20), and the different playable characters look more game altering than any of the unlockable weapons in Rising.

Monocle

Just eyeballing completion times on Youtube playthroughs, it looks to be (game time spoilers)
a bit shorter than Rising - somewhere around 4-5 hours in length
, though it has way more challenge missions (50 vs Rising's 20), and the different playable characters look more game altering than any of the unlockable weapons in Rising.
Good, that sounds promising. I'm more concerned with gameplay variety than mission length anyway.

Good, that sounds promising. I'm more concerned with gameplay variety than mission length anyway.

Variety looks promising. There's (very minor spoilers)
traditional melee fights, more shooter-based encounters (snipers on rooftops, etc), driving sections, a turret section, and some other stuff. Unique/named bosses and minibosses like the Constructicons seem to be introduced at a breakneck pace. There seem to be a small handful of questionable bird's-eye camera sections, though the core gameplay doesn't change in these. They'll probably be a bit divisive, but don't seem anywhere near the worst gimmicks Platinum's used before.

In other words, it seems pretty packed for its length.

Monocle

Variety looks promising. There's (very minor spoilers)
traditional melee fights, more shooter-based encounters (snipers on rooftops, etc), driving sections, a turret section, and some other stuff. Unique/named bosses and minibosses like the Constructicons seem to be introduced at a breakneck pace. There seem to be a small handful of questionable bird's-eye camera sections, though the core gameplay doesn't change in these. They'll probably be a bit divisive, but don't seem anywhere near the worst gimmicks Platinum's used before.

In other words, it seems pretty packed for its length.
I'm mostly interested in the core gameplay, because that's what Platinum does best. I can tolerate alternate segments as long as they're not as obnoxious as some of The Wonderful 101's.

I'm mostly interested in the core gameplay, because that's what Platinum does best. I can tolerate alternate segments as long as they're not as obnoxious as some of The Wonderful 101's.

My thoughts exactly lol. Even stuff like driving sections seem to be integrated well, thematically and mechanically. I mean, Transformers can transform and drive whenever they want. Compare that to playing a human character who fights with melee, then all of a sudden you're flying a jet or something. I think there's a seamlessness here with the different gameplay styles that isn't present in many character action games. It just makes sense.

Top Bottom