• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers Devastation (Platinum Games) boss videos on Facebook

Karak

What's wrong with Grimlock ? All the footage I've seen of him in the game has been fantastic.
Well thats footage. Not playing which is a bit different in this circumstance.

They added needless complexity to him. In fact...we all are sort of sitting here puzzled. For him to run you have to hammer the B button, no one else needs that, additionally his timing is well outside the spectrum of the others(I can live with that). In fact I would just say his timing for all things is...off compared to everyone else. To the point the other people though my controller was dying. In tight battles, or tight areas as a whole, it adds complexity so on the hardest difficulty it can make him fairly unfun when you add that to his unique weapon type, Also he has some cool specials but they are only available in one form and not the other, unlike most of the other autobots and its timing is also totally different. Its almost like they got excited and brought in a character from the sequel lol.

Basically the one character that could be about brute force and simplicity still is but with some added complications that absolutely didn't need to be there. Super puzzling additions really when you look at the game as a whole. Not as puzzling as the 2d sections lol

Still doesn't make him unplayable. Just a bit of amaturish design among a great deal of far better stuff.

I guess the only thing I can say is. I was getting S's and A's throughout. Switched to him and C's and a couple B's. That will rise but no other autobot had such an odd changeup.

EDIT: I guess in a way you could compare him to say Wolf in VF. Which was my favorite character in that game but was a brute yet required far more complex interactions than many. Its just...it feels odd in this particular title.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I haven't been keeping up with the latest news on this, but it's looking sick. One of my friends is a die hard Transformers fan, too. I'll definitely be showing him this game.

Grief.exe

If you stick with that well look on the bright side
1- We might get some cool mods by the time you get the game
2- Lots of startegies and tips would be made over time improving one's enjoyment of playing the game
3- You can clear your backlog in time to play the game

It will actually end up working out perfectly, since I am addicted to Kerbal Space Program right now.

Give that a month, then I can focus on Transformers.

Not as puzzling as the 2d sections lol

A bit puzzling, yeah. Luckily, the core gameplay doesn't seem to change in these. I've been skimming footage and believe I only saw a single required 2D section (fetching the red energon), and the player got through it relatively quickly. Are there any more that aren't in side missions? I haven't played the game yet, but from what I've seen they're nowhere near the worst gimmick sections in Platinum's games. Just a bit odd in concept, though they seem pretty harmless.

Tizoc

Anyone got a GIF of Optimus doing a Power Geyser? Read online it's one of his special attacks :X

Justinh

Melee uncommon. Does this game have drops?

Yeah, apparently you can like "infuse" your weapons with more powerful ones to make them stronger, give them new abilities, or something like that. I'm not too sure but that's what I gathered.
edit:Oh, I spent way too long looking for a picture of the immobilizer

I'm pretty sure I saw Wheeljack holding an immobilizer in some preview video a while ago.

You know, that thing...
AZxxMQ2.jpg

Has actually anyone seen it in the game, or was I imagining things?

Karak

Yeah, apparently you can like "infuse" your weapons with more powerful ones to make them stronger, give them new abilities, or something like that. I'm not too sure but that's what I gathered.
edit:Oh, I spent way too long looking for a picture of the immobilizer

I'm pretty sure I saw Wheeljack holding an immobilizer in some preview video a while ago.

You know, that thing...
AZxxMQ2.jpg

Has actually anyone seen it in the game, or was I imagining things?

There is a metric shitton of weapons and upgrading

A bit puzzling, yeah. Luckily, the core gameplay doesn't seem to change in these. I've been skimming footage and believe I only saw a single required 2D section (fetching the red energon), and the player got through it relatively quickly. Are there any more that aren't in side missions? I haven't played the game yet, but from what I've seen they're nowhere near the worst gimmick sections in Platinum's games. Just a bit odd in concept, though they seem pretty harmless.

There are more. Not a ton.
The real issue is there feel not only like filler but they look bad. Grimlocks 2d level looks like something out of a damn past generation game and controlls wonky because its like a fake 3d. Luckily ya they only show up a couple times. Its the fact that everyone sitting around a table looked at those parts and said..."you know what guys, this is good enough." lol

Justinh

There is a metric shitton of weapons and upgrading

Yeah, I just found the trailer with it. It looks like he uses it for his super move.
JfrAc2X.gif

I noticed that in the Our Way video actually.

Turns out he does it in the Official Gameplay Trailer, too.

Tdo34FG.gif

I guess I need to pay more attention to things, lol.
What's the Our Way video?

edit: Oh, you mean that music video. I hadn't watched that until now.

editaboogaloo: Dammit, compelled me to buy the soundtrack digitally from Amazon.
I think this song sounds like it'd fit well within a videogame. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxVoETPSrXU

Fantomex

Do you guys know if only GameStop and Amazon got the preorder skins? I just checked best buy and no mention of the 3 dlc skins

Karak

Can you go into detail about the moves you can buy in the shop and the skills on the weapons? Are the skills game changers or are they just basic stat boosts?

The move purchases are very very basic. Consider them just a bit of fun even with all of them unlocked its not any great shakes and not a fighting game or anything.

Weapons are dropped with random skills and depending on rarity can indeed be huge boons depending on how you like to play and character type. Far more there than in moves and depending on the major villians you fight you can expect to get some insane stuff and very very iconic.

You can merge weapons to create more powerful ones but if both weapons have skills you can only keep 1 of the weapon skills. That can sort of suck.

You can also create circuitry upgrades. Thing something like a CPU upgrade for a car except here is either a somewhat easy QTE or a somewhat hard QTE depending on how you good you will create circutriy on different levels.

Good, excellent, Legendary. IF you fail it you make a dude.

Karak

sorry if you mentioned this before, but have you played Platinums other games? how does this stack up to them

Yep all of them.
I am working up the review now and mulling it all over. Probably out tomorrow morning since I ended up getting mine from retail and not from PR.

Tizoc

This looks awesome.
I know nothing about Transformers. Where do I start? :p

That's a tricky one, this game is based mainly on the popular 80s cartoon.
You don't HAVE to watch it to enjoy the game but if you're interested just watch Season 1 of the 80s cartoon, then watch the 1986 movie.
That's about all you need if you want the fastest/quickest stuff.

Yep all of them.
I am working up the review now and mulling it all over. Probably out tomorrow morning since I ended up getting mine from retail and not from PR.

Did you mess around with the unlockable difficulties or challenge mode at all? Wondering if they hold up.

naib

Arghhh.

Good thing you guys don't run Platinum.
Indeed. Y'all are missing the point.

Even if this ends up being some janky garbage, this looks like a Transformer game that's speaking to my inner child.

I can't wait.

Monocle

Yeah most disliked it because it was not like what they watched as kids :V
It's still a good TF series even on its own.
Beast Wars has plenty of fans who were introduced to Transformers through that show. As far as I know it's generally well liked by the fan community.

The characters and story are consistently good.

TSM

Wait, is Beast Wars not something people liked? That was my introduction to Transformers growing up.

I remember when it was on TV. It looked terrible to me then and that youtube link hasn't done anything to improve my opinion now. It doesn't help that it's so very very ugly.

Beast Wars had a solid story and was... Well no it wasn't a looker, but that was 90s CG. See also Beast Machines, ReBoot, the early animations for Toonami, etc. I can't say the 80s cartoon looks particularly great either when you go back and look at it now.

It made Megatron into a dragon so, I mean, that's pretty cool. I really liked a lot of the designs out of that series too.

Tizoc

I find Beast War's dated CGI to be a product of its time and I rather sympathize with it. I have a soft spot for it despite how ugly it may look, mainly because the team did what they could with the tech they had, and they did great stories too.

Besides it's not like the 80s cartoon was a masterstroke in animation :p
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Animation_error

naib

I think it's a generation gap thing. Nothing wrong with it per se, but it wouldn't fit into this game's style. The main reason I'm stoked about this game is that it looks like the Tranformers I grew up with. The toys I played with.

At some point those separated. When the design got more complicated than the toys themselves.

Justinh

I thought Beast Wars was alright. I bailed by the time Beast Machines came around, though.

The only episode that I can really remember liking was the one where Starscream first came around.

Other than that...I didn't dislike it, I'll leave it at that.

I think it's a generation gap thing. Nothing wrong with it per se, but it wouldn't fit into this game's style. The main reason I'm stoked about this game is that it looks like the Tranformers I grew up with.

I don't think we ever said anything about it being this game. But a future game would be awesome.

I mean it's a pipedream, but hell, so was this game. Platinum makes miracles happen.

TSM

I find Beast War's dated CGI to be a product of its time and I rather sympathize with it. I have a soft spot for it despite how ugly it may look, mainly because the team did what they could with the tech they had, and they did great stories too.

Besides it's not like the 80s cartoon was a masterstroke in animation :p
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Animation_error

Except that Beast Wars was just as ugly back when it came out. It's not that it's ugly now. It's that it's always been ugly.

But yeah the 80's cartoon was nothing special in the looks department.

naib

I don't think we ever said anything about it being this game. But a future game would be awesome.

I mean it's a pipedream, but hell, so was this game. Platinum makes miracles happen.
10-4. I gotcha.

What's unique about this game is that it's old school G1 transformers. That's all I want.

Ive never played the other transformer games. But I heard the last one was decent? I can appreciate people wanting the P* treatment on other iterations.

I'm just stoked that these models aren't over-complicated. With all the Michael Bay greeble.

Edit : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeble

It looks like they've done a great job of making the models look visually interesting without all that unnecessary crap. I want Optimus to look like he'll transform into a truck. Not a spaceship.

Tizoc

10-4. I gotcha.

What's unique about this game is that it's old school G1 transformers. That's all I want.

Ive never played the other transformer games. But I heard the last one was decent? I can appreciate people wanting the P* treatment on other iterations.

I'm just stoked that these models aren't over-complicated. With all the Michael Bay greeble.

Edit : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeble

Far as I can recall 3 good TF games were mainly shooters but were all good in their own way:
The PS2 TF Armada game
The Cybertron games by High Moon Studios

If you have a decent pc or laptop, the HM studios games on sale every Winter and summer sale so def. check them out.
While the designs aren't G1 precisely the characters are based on G1 and it has many references to it.

Top Bottom