• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

AutumnAve

Hey...........you wanna see something cool.

transformers_themovie_reg_FB__79218.1377180345.1280.1280.jpg

They were sold here, maybe will be again...maybe.

That's beautiful. I want one, badly.

Mike M

Nick N
I just completed the third season of Prime, and... Well, that was really nothing like I thought it would be, but really all my expectations going into it were based on the toyline where there were a billion Predacon dragons and everyone and their mother had upgraded to new forms. But in the show, there's just a couple new paint jobs, Prime got an upgrade, and Predaking was the only Predacon. Maybe all that other stuff comes into play in the Predacons Rising movie thing? Or maybe not, it would be pretty cost prohibitive to remodel the entire cast for a CGI show, I would imagine.

I'm really baffled by the existence of the toy Thundertron though. He was kind of unique since he was released under the Prime line, but was listed as being a "Star Seeker" out for revenge on Cybertronians and had a wolf as an alt-mode. I guess I just mentally filled in the blanks that the Star Seekers and Predacons would be adjuncts to the Autobots and Decepticons, but nope. He's just some random comic book character? OK then, whatever.

I wasn't really big on the first season of Prime... It was OK, but I was really not crazy about the "Unicron is Earth" thing, and the design of Unicron was pretty awful. But it really picked up in season 2, which laid a lot of groundwork that it built upon in season 3. In the end, it was a pretty top tier TF show. Knock-Out may just be my favorite character ever, he and Starscream made a great pair when they were together.

Beast Wars came up next on Netflix, and holy shit is it rough looking after a decade and a half...

Mike M

Nick N
"What?! I'm joining the winning team!"
I really hope he does become an autobot.
That... Would be an interesting dynamic. Previous defections (Dinobot, Black Arachnia, Armada Starscream, Prime Dreadwing) have largely been of the "noble warrior" variety. Knock Out is a sociopathic Vanity Smurf opportunist who didn't bat an eye on experimenting on the remains of his weirdly intimate partner.

The resulting zombie plague episode was his and Starscream's best moments...

NEO0MJ

That... Would be an interesting dynamic. Previous defections (Dinobot, Black Arachnia, Armada Starscream, Prime Dreadwing) have largely been of the "noble warrior" variety. Knock Out is a sociopathic Vanity Smurf opportunist who didn't bat an eye on experimenting on the remains of his weirdly intimate partner.

Black Arachnia was really only interested in saving her own hide at first, though Silverbolt's goodness rubbed off on her in the end.

I just completed the third season of Prime, and... Well, that was really nothing like I thought it would be, but really all my expectations going into it were based on the toyline where there were a billion Predacon dragons and everyone and their mother had upgraded to new forms. But in the show, there's just a couple new paint jobs, Prime got an upgrade, and Predaking was the only Predacon. Maybe all that other stuff comes into play in the Predacons Rising movie thing? Or maybe not, it would be pretty cost prohibitive to remodel the entire cast for a CGI show, I would imagine.

I'm really baffled by the existence of the toy Thundertron though. He was kind of unique since he was released under the Prime line, but was listed as being a "Star Seeker" out for revenge on Cybertronians and had a wolf as an alt-mode. I guess I just mentally filled in the blanks that the Star Seekers and Predacons would be adjuncts to the Autobots and Decepticons, but nope. He's just some random comic book character? OK then, whatever.

I wasn't really big on the first season of Prime... It was OK, but I was really not crazy about the "Unicron is Earth" thing, and the design of Unicron was pretty awful. But it really picked up in season 2, which laid a lot of groundwork that it built upon in season 3. In the end, it was a pretty top tier TF show. Knock-Out may just be my favorite character ever, he and Starscream made a great pair when they were together.

Beast Wars came up next on Netflix, and holy shit is it rough looking after a decade and a half...

Thundertron was from the novels. There was a band of pirates called "Star Seeksers" at the end of Exiles that abducted some Junkions. Can't remember specifics as I read the book over a year ago.

As for Prime, I liked the Unicron is Earth thing. It was a nice way to reconcile Unicron without him completely consuming (heh) the Prime storyline. Making him a planet eater a la G1 would take the focus completely off of the characters they built to that point. Design and voice of Unicron was awful though. Yeah Orson Welles has big shoes to fill, but John Noble just sounded like an old deaf guy.

Hurley

So I was watching the 1986 movie on Blu ray again and I was wondering does anyone know which Cyclonus made it to Season 3? Like we see Cyclonus and his "armada" which came from Bombshell and Skywarp but after the movie there's only ever one Cyclonus shown?

In my mind I'd prefer it to be Skywarp because it would just make more sense to me (plus I think skywarp is cooler then Bombshell lol) but has there been an established canon for this that just flat out says who it was?

Or is this just like a taboo subject within Transformers communities?

Mike M

Nick N
So I was watching the 1986 movie on Blu ray again and I was wondering does anyone know which Cyclonus made it to Season 3? Like we see Cyclonus and his "armada" which came from Bombshell and Skywarp but after the movie there's only ever one Cyclonus shown?

In my mind I'd prefer it to be Skywarp because it would just make more sense to me (plus I think skywarp is cooler then Bombshell lol) but has there been an established canon for this that just flat out says who it was?

I think the official word is that Bombshell became Cyclonus, Thundercracker became Scourge.

I think it's for the best to just assume Cyclonus is a new character that was created from the parts of dead Decepticons. While it would make sense for him to be an upgrade from Skywarp (purple to Thundercracker/Scourge's blue) the storyboards specifically show the "main" Cyclonus forming from Bombshell. The reason "His Armada" even exists is just a holdover from the early script, where Cyclonus and Scourge would have both had minions.

Typically the way to deal with this is to just make your own choice as to who became Cyclonus. The fiction itself can't even seem to choose. Cyclonus has appeared next to Skywarp in the late Beast Machines comics and been referred to as a former bug by the latter, on the changing 2006 DVD cover Cyclonus and Skywarp are in the same place, and in the UK comics he was neither, instead previously being a Decepticon known as Life Spark.

Hurley

I like the idea of Cyclonus being a new character and not just a old character that's been upgraded, that''s how the IDW series has portrayed it? (at least where I'm up to)

I think in terms of the G1 movie/seasons I'll just pretend he's Skywarp.

Fuck Bombshell.

Speaking of the G1 seasons, I started to re watch some of season 3 again after I finished with the film and I really like the idea behind Galvatron and his insanity just sucks how poorly executed it was, with him just acting like a screaming child most of the time.

The episode Webworld was pretty funny though.

NEO0MJ

I like the idea of Cyclonus being a new character and not just a old character that's been upgraded, that''s how the IDW series has portrayed it? (at least where I'm up to)

Yeah, in the IDW-verse he and Scourge are their own characters who have always existed in that continuity, not an upgraded form of another character.

Edit: And also Galvatron.

NEO0MJ

It has better proportions than the official one at least.

Maybe, but the official version is more than good enough and I always thought that one of the main reason 3rd party products should exist is to bring us what Hasbro and Takara wouldn't, not offer us the same thing.

Since this is a Transformers OT i'll just come out and say it - G1 should only be watched for Nostalgia purposes now. Transformers Prime has eclipsed it in every way.

I still enjoy the movie a ton and I think that still works, but yeah the cartoon didn't necessarily have the best writing. I've only really watched G1, and Beast Wars (and dabbled a little bit into Beast Machines).

I wish they could come out with a new series which was based on G1 complete with G1 robot designs and cars (I know some of the companies that they licensed back in the day won't allow it but they could just use generic designs for those cars). I don't like all of these bayformers inspired designs they have nowadays :(

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
MMC's Feral Rex will be the Predaking to end all Predakings.

Totally true. Feral Rex looks way better than that custom up there.

I think the official word is that Bombshell became Cyclonus, Thundercracker became Scourge.

It greatly varies between fans and even source material for the movie. In general it's agreed that it's best to assume that Unicron formed them out of various pieces of generic soldiers. Frankly I prefer that to Thundercracker ending up as that idiot Scourge forever.

Hurley

So I'm currently up to "All Hail Megatron" #1-14 & 16, which would make them 80-94 in the chronological reading order that I've been following from the wiki and I'm wondering is it okay for me to just jump ahead and start reading More Than Meets the Eye or would it be best if I just keep reading the previous issues and just work my way to the newer stuff?

Basically is MTMTE kind of like a "soft" reboot of sorts (but still set in the same universe) where you don't really need to of read the previous back catalogue?

Maybe, but the official version is more than good enough and I always thought that one of the main reason 3rd party products should exist is to bring us what Hasbro and Takara wouldn't, not offer us the same thing.
Well if you want to get technical, that supposed Metroplex is the FOC design whereas the official release is more of a G1 update, but I do agree with you.

Totally true. Feral Rex looks way better than that custom up there.
It's also my favorite of the 3rd party Predakings. MMC has come a very long way since Knight Morpher Commander.

Savitar

So I'm currently up to "All Hail Megatron" #1-14 & 16, which would make them 80-94 in the chronological reading order that I've been following from the wiki and I'm wondering is it okay for me to just jump ahead and start reading More Than Meets the Eye or would it be best if I just keep reading the previous issues and just work my way to the newer stuff?

Basically is MTMTE kind of like a "soft" reboot of sorts (but still set in the same universe) where you don't really need to of read the previous back catalogue?

I would jump ahead, AHM in a lot of peoples view went down fast and what came after was certainly considered crap aside from those two issues if I'm thinking they are the issues the later writers did in part.

Basically jump to the RID with the Death of Optimus Prime Annual in it and from there continue with RID or to with MTMTE or better yet.....both.

They don't require you to know anything about what came before as anything relevant they fill you in. The only thing you should check out is Last Stand of the Wreckers which actually does come into play a bit later.

Mike M

Nick N
3rd party Predacon combiners are old hat.

I want to see someone make an Autobot Maximal team that combined into... Idunno, Maximalord.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Early concept designs for the new movie are (apparently?) starting to pop up, and to absolutely no one's surprise they look exactly the same as the old ones.

tumblr_ms5fe5i7Tb1sn72iso1_1280.png

Mike M

Nick N
God, I am really bored of Transformers who turn into cars. I mean, I know they're Autobots, but c'mon. The movie is doubly egregious with the number of Decepticons who turn into cars as well.

Bring on the Dinobots.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm now getting info that the Drift picture is fanart, which at least explains why it looks exactly like the old designs.

Savitar

I really do not like the live action movie designs, I can see why people say they don't know who is who or what's what when some bots are going at one another because it's really hard to tell what parts of them is what. It does in some cases look like a bunch of metal parts jumbled together.

That point was really shown to me when I saw Pacific Rim and the mechs they used were so easy to follow due to being more solid parts without tons of parts interchanged and all over.

I really do not like the live action movie designs, I can see why people say they don't know who is who or what's what when some bots are going at one another because it's really hard to tell what parts of them is what. It does in some cases look like a bunch of metal parts jumbled together.

That point was really shown to me when I saw Pacific Rim and the mechs they used were so easy to follow due to being more solid parts without tons of parts interchanged and all over.

What I really couldn't stand about the movie designs was how much what was there looked and sounded like animals. Why is Megatron growling like a panther? He even had organic looking teeth. So stupid. No cohesion in vision for any part of the movie that didn't involve useless fleshlings.

Mike M

Nick N
While I wouldn't prefer the movie aesthetic over just about every visual interpretation of the franchise ever, I begrudgingly accept the rationale is sound enough. They are alien machines from space, their components made from the vehicles they transform into. The traditional TF design aesthetics that are essentially gray-skinned humans wearing helmets and boxes for sleeves doesn't look great alongside live action.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
If I wanted to get Last Stand of the Wreckers, should I get the hardcover edition with the bonuses or IDW collection 6? It's hard to justify delving into the awesome collections because of all the new Generations toys coming out.

Plus the first few are insanely out of print (especially Volume 4).

Savitar

I would go with the hardcover edition, it has some nifty little bonuses included like a written story. Profiles on the members of the group by Rung and I think all the covers included.

NEO0MJ

I'm now getting info that the Drift picture is fanart, which at least explains why it looks exactly like the old designs.

Same over here. It looks too similair to the G1 concept, down to the color scheme, which never happens with these designs.

Mike M

Nick N
Unproduced G2/GI Joe crossover toy.

I swear I saw concept art of other figures, but I maaaaay be misremembering. I'll see what I can't dig up.

It's a shame this never happened, even as a kid the idea of a cobranded Joe/TF made scary amounts of sense to me. Still does, actually.

I would imagine that making a transforming vehicle to scale with GI Joe figures would be cost prohibitive, though. I remember my Joe vehicles were pretty simplistic, snap together affairs that were mostly hollow. Even something small like a motorcycle would probably start at Voyager-class pricing.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Since we have an official Transformers thread now, I wanted to show you guys my custom Transformers Prime Japanese Openings.

I posted them in the Prime OT and people really enjoyed them. I'm also working on a Beast Hunters opening right now (and potentially a special Predacons Rising one).

Click on the images for a direct link to the videos.

Transformers Prime Japanese Opening - Blaze Out! (Pure HD)
Song: Blaze Out!
Artist: Psychic Lover
Original opening: "FEELING" by BigBang
Although the original opening was lively and upbeat, the song didn't truly fit Prime's aesthetic. So I completely remade the opening into something wonderful. Enjoy!

Transformers Prime Japanese Opening 2 - THE SUN (Pure HD)
Song: THE SUN
Artist: BINECKS
Original opening: "TRANSFORMERZ" by m-flo
Unlike the first opening song, TRANSFORMERZ was somewhat redeemable as an opening song for Transformers Prime.
However, I still feel the Japanese Transformers Prime openings do not do the series justice. So I made a custom opening to Season Two to match my Season One opening. Enjoy!

Mike M

Nick N
So wait, did you just splice new songs into it, or did you cut the intros from whole cloth? Nice work if it's the latter, though I have a long standing preference for openings that are animated specially for the opening alone, but thinking about it I think that's actually kind of a rarity for Transformers series, isn't it? G1, Animated, and Prime weighed against... everything else. Hell, even Animated was mostly clips from the show too...

Oh what the hell, opening theme compilation time!

G1 season 1
G1 season 2 <-- Hits me right in the nostalgia so hard. I remember this one much more clearly than the others.
G1 season 3 (Also outro)
Beast Wars season 1
Beast Wars season 2
Beast Wars season 3
Beast Machines (I don't think season 2 ever updated with the new cast or anything)
Robots in Disguise
Armada
Energon
Cybertron
Animated
Prime
Prime: Beast Hunters

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
So wait, did you just splice new songs into it, or did you cut the intros from whole cloth? Nice work if it's the latter, though I have a long standing preference for openings that are animated specially for the opening alone, but thinking about it I think that's actually kind of a rarity for Transformers series, isn't it? G1, Animated, and Prime weighed against... everything else. Hell, even Animated was mostly clips from the show too...

Yup! Completely from scratch. Even chose some of my personal favorite songs.

You really don't want to see the regular Japanese Prime openings. They have characters standing around, focus on the wrong type of action, and...oh heck, have fun.
Transformers Prime Japanese Opening 1 - BIGBANG by FEELING
"BOYS NOIZE" in da hooooouse PARTY PEOPLE

And if your ears and eyeballs haven't already been incinerated:
Transformers Prime Japanese Opening 2 - TRANSFORMERZ by m-flo
Transformers Prime Japanese Opening 3 - TRANSFORMERZ Remix by m-flo
Transformers Prime Japanese Opening 4 - TRANSFORMERZ Remix (New footage) by m-flo

Fortunately they made TRANSFORMERZ tolerable, but they didn't have very good clip composition. Let's spend five seconds on Jack in his Cybertron exploration suit!

Mike M

Nick N
What... what the fucking fuck... That's just bizarre.

And now for something completely unrelated, here's something I didn't notice for 20 years...
3641639_640px.jpg

In the G1 cartoon, all the Decepticon symbols had a third, middle point on the crest. It seems like the animators were working off the version of the logo that featured the shiny metallic embossed look.

The "side" of the embossment between the two points could easily be mistaken for a third point if they weren't looking closely/had a bad image to work off of.

What... what the fucking fuck... That's just bizarre.

And now for something completely unrelated, here's something I didn't notice for 20 years...
3641639_640px.jpg

In the G1 cartoon, all the Decepticon symbols had a third, middle point on the crest. It seems like the animators were working off the version of the logo that featured the shiny metallic embossed look.

The "side" of the embossment between the two points could easily be mistaken for a third point if they weren't looking closely/had a bad image to work off of.

The decepiticon symbol has gone over a few slight alterations over time. Most drastically when the first Bayformers movie came out, changing the 'eyes' and making it more into a face as opposed to simply an emblem.

transformers-decepticon-logo-papercraft.jpg

The Autobot logo has had much more subtle changes in its 20+ years.

Mike M

Nick N
The decepiticon symbol has gone over a few slight alterations over time. Most drastically when the first Bayformers movie came out, changing the 'eyes' and making it more into a face as opposed to simply an emblem.

transformers-decepticon-logo-papercraft.jpg

The Autobot logo has had much more subtle changes in its 20+ years.

Actually, the Bayformers alterations to the eyes is about the *only* change over the years, there's always been two variations on the symbol from the start.

The "low eyes" variant seems to have been used exclusively for packaging and promotional material, this is the one you see with the embossed metallic color gradient look.
I think this is the exact image file I got my tattoo based on...

The "high eyes" variant with the pointy bottom of the central crest was used on decals that went on the figures themselves.

Here's G1 Megatron's sticker sheet, you can see the "low eyes" version in the logo, but the "high eyes" is used for the decals.

Megatron__14967.1322613460.640.640.jpg

Mike M

Nick N
So apparently my wife has been going nuts trying to track down Masterpiece Soundwave as a gift for me, managing to find one store in LA that had one in stock, but they wouldn't let her order it because they couldn't ship out of state, nor could they transfer it to the store in Santa Barbara where my mom was going to be this weekend for a wedding for her to pick up. They did tell her that their system shows a shipment of them heading up to the Seattle area in the next couple weeks, so at least there's that.

God I love my wife.

Top Bottom