• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender journalist at EG Expo called "this person" on stage at MS event (See OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to get in the way of a good mob, but are we sure this happened as stated? I mean, all we've got is a one-sided accusation of this happening, from one person's perspective. It was a public event, surely there were hundreds of other witnesses, or maybe video, right?

I agree. If this happened as described it's very bad of course, but we need to make sure it actually happened as described.

Are there any other sources backing up her account?

TheStevo

Banned
When hiring a comedian to do something like this you have to be very careful. They have charisma and can think quickly on their feet, but they will make fun of every and anything. I've seen guys take a news paper on stage and just read through the obituary, cracking jokes the whole time.
Nothing is off limits to comedians.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Where is all this coming from?

"This is why I regularly consider dropping out of this industry."

Never focus on all the people that dont call her an it, but when there is one, hundreds of thousands of people all thrown under the bus. I can understand being angry and lashing out, but it doesnt really do any good and makes her plight a little harder to sympathise with.

Dennis

Banned
Without offending and judging those GAFfers who made really bad and pointless posts, thank you fellow Mods for removing them.

The removal of the posts has the (perhaps intended) consequence that new posters enter, make the same kind of offensive post and are quickly banned. Post removed. Cycle repeats.

MoeB

People should just refer to each other by their sex and not their gender. The English language should be blamed for its implementation of grammatical gender.

Vaiim

Poor woman. Nobody deserves to be treated like that.

Microsoft is definitely partly to blame for giving some bigot a stage, but the most of the blame lies with this "comedian".

Nothing. That's how this shit works.

If you don't properly vet the people you hire or make very clear what they CAN and CANNOT say (which is especially important when hiring a comedian), stuff like this can and will happen. When you hire someone, you are responsible for them. You can't just put someone on a stage with no direction.
I said be specific. What information do you have on their vetting process? If you don't actually have specific information on what they did or didn't do, then you are really jumping to conclusions by saying it was their fault.

Hate to get in the way of a good mob, but are we sure this happened as stated? I mean, all we've got is a one-sided accusation of this happening, from one person's perspective. It was a public event, surely there were hundreds of other witnesses, or maybe video, right?

I agree. If this happened as described it's very bad of course, but we need to make sure it actually happened as described.

Are there any other sources backing up her account?

I'll be blunt here:

Unless she outright said 'yo I'm trans but it's cool to mislabel me gender wise' there's no justification.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
People using this to bash Microsoft are idiots, but this guy is also a total idiot. It's 2013, can't we be getting past this stuff?

Microsoft are responsible for the people they hire to represent them at events like this. He obviously isn't an employee of the company but he has still been chosen to represent them in a public fashion. They want the benefits of having these kinds of entertainers at their events so they definitely should face the consequences if bad things occur, as they have.

Now Microsoft is a very good employer for LGBT concerns, so if they react as they should with apologies and by firing/ending the contract with this guy etc., then they shouldn't be criticised too harshly.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
it's vigilantism if she wants to know the name of the shithead who ruined her day and get a personal apology?

There's potential if she then decided to release the name after it was given to her. The best solution for everyone would be if the CEO/President of the company offers one instead.

Was this thread started so people could blame Microsoft or actually discuss the situation because most of what I read was MS hate.

This is like the when the FA hired that comedian for the Players Player of The Year award before the summer and he used the N-word.

Nothing a organisation the size of MS can do to predict what their hired off-contract personnel are going to say.

theRizzle

I said be specific. What information do you have on their vetting process? If you don't actually have specific information on what they did or didn't do, then you are really jumping to conclusions by saying it was their fault.

I don't think you understand the difference between "fault" and "responsible".

What I'm saying is when you pay someone to do a job for you, you are responsible for how they handle themselves in that job. Full stop.

Whools

I'd like to play Devil's Advocate for a second. While I can understand the anger from people here, I do tend to agree with the old George Carlin school of thought that anything can be made a joke of / made fun of by a comedian. Nothing should be off limits.

That being said, shame on the dude for carrying it on for so long, and for not having the balls to come out and apologize to her in person. I'm certain he must have been made aware that she was requesting to speak with him, and clearly he realized he fucked up. If anything, though, we can take some comfort in the fact that by refusing to handle the situation, he's likely hurting his own career even more than he already did.

He dehumanised her, and directly mocked someone who agreed to come on stage at a gaming presentation, not a comedy gig, he was over the line, and like you said, he probably knew it, but isn't courageous enough to apologise.

Sidenote, does anyone know if he mocked any other people, from different social groups?

Orayn

People should just refer to each other by their sex and not their gender. The English language should be blamed for its implementation of grammatical gender.

Uh... Gender is what people identify with in social contexts, why would you suggest we stop using it in language when communicating with others?

The_Monk

The removal of the posts has the (perhaps intended) consequence that new posters enter, make the same kind of offensive post and are quickly banned. Post removed. Cycle repeats.

If this is what it takes to keep a mature and proper discussion while being polite then I'm more than okay with this. I know it's the Internet but that is not an excuse.

Mesoian

There's potential if she then decided to release the name after it was given to her. The best solution for everyone would be if the CEO/President of the company offers one instead.

Unfortunately, it's REALLY unclear who that is right now.

Damn,

I'm sure everyone at microsoft is hugely embarassed by this and they seem to be a pretty friendly LGBT company, but fuck man. You'd think that after xbone reveal and e3 debacles they would have scaled back and made sure they were running a tight ship.

Instead the Xbox One trail of tears continues in its lead up to launch.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Holy hell at her Twitter page. Jeebus, how do these people tweet so much ignorance, using their real names? It blows my mind. It's literally saying: Hey look at me, I'm a bigot! Yay!

Joni

Nothing a organisation the size of MS can do to predict what their hired off-contract personnel are going to say.
The people present also blew off her attempts to get an apology. Their team there handled it quite badly. Microsoft itself will handle it quite well, but a lot of people present will need to get a nice re-education course.

Sorian

Banned
To shitty comedians maybe.

While its true that nothing is off-limits to comedians, a good comedian would also know his or her audience and would have a pulse of humanity at large. There is a way that this could be a joking matter but not as it was presented today. There was no joking or cracking wise here, there was just some hateful speech that got a cheap laugh from a minority of the audience. The real shame here is that now that poor woman's twitter feed is being harrassed by every 12-year-old MS fanboy and bigot in the nation.

theRizzle

To any comedian.

Are you a comedian?

The idea that nothing is off-limits to comedians is crazy. The vast majority of comedy is a solo act telling made up stories to a crowd. In that sense, yes mostly anything goes because we all know the "story" you are about to tell probably didn't happen and is just a crafted joke.

Have you ever seen a comedian on stage attack someone's gender, race or sexual orientation directly?

It's never funny. It's annoying and insensitive.

Trame

They didn't hire the guy knowing that he would do this, so how is it their fault that it happened? Of course they need to address it after the fact, but how can you blame them for the fact that it happened? What was the specific mistake they made? What did they do before the comment was made that makes this their fault?
They could have checked to see what kind of material the guy has done in the past, but it's possible he's never done anything like this and realistically you can't prevent someone from going crazy on stage in advance if they decide to.

The part that's more Microsoft's responsibility is making sure their employees don't go "oh, I'm sorry that you were offended" and refuse to give the comedian's name to try to stop you from raising a complaint anywhere else. They also could have, you know, stopped it when it started, but let's say their staff didn't know how to respond to it unfolding on stage: they would have done well to apologize to her afterwards and also not specifically be assholes.

Mumford

I saw retweets from a third party earlier (I believe it was one of the Thomas Was Alone devs) talking about how uncomfortable he and his friends were made by this situation. It's rather sad that today's industry is plagued by despicable moments like these. (The last one that comes to my mind was the Killer Instinct scripted rape joke that was supposed to be funny apparently, but I digress.)

Zornack

I'd really like an account of the story from someone else who attended the stage show. Based on her appearance accidentally calling her a he doesn't seem absurd. Calling her it? Totally unacceptable, but it's too easy to jump to conclusions after only hearing one side of the story.

Theecliff

Banned
Not only is this whole thing bad enough, but some of the twitter responses she's got are already fucking disgusting. What the fuck is up with some people in the gaming community? Embarrassing.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Those comments on her twitter. And here I thought those GAF posts were bad.
They were bad.

Wow, what a jerk. I think some of the reactions for a lot of recent stuff like this are overblown, but this guy went way too far and deserves the scorn.

Also, what did the post that got deleted say?

Syf

Banned
Stuff like this really brings out the worst in people on the internet.. the mods here have been cleaning up well, but holy shit at some of the stuff being said to her on her Twitter page.

Pretty scary to live in a world where people are this kind of human garbage:
It's not so much the world.. the world is a shit place and it probably always will be: see wars and killing. But.. this is an entertainment industry and we're plagued by all these frustrating issues. That's what really doesn't make sense to me. Our problem seems to be more deep seated.

TheStevo

Banned
Nothing is off limits to anyone. They just have to deal with the consequences of people reacting to it though.
Indeed, as I said earlier, sometimes racism or sexism (or purposely offensive jokes) in comedy can cross lines and the reactionary response can be aptly negative. And other times we have to hold a thick skin and again aptly recognize that the vast majority of comedy is not "personal" but it's a reactionary shift oriented product of what's in front of comedians. If a guy walked out and was 400lbs, what do you think what would have happened? The problem I see of course is the person walking out had no idea of what's going on and who's presenting. It's a different context entirely from a comedy gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom