• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Travis Scott PS5 commercial (he really did have the PS5)

Kanton

I know who he is, i actually have one song from him on one of my playlists. But its gonna take more before i replace quality food with garbage junkfood... even if the kids like it. Sony is thinking broad here, they know how to business!

The Shift

Banned
IzmMWWh.gif

Guys, there are more things out there than just video games. That guy Travis Scott has music that you probably heard and just didn't know it was him. He has designed Nike shoes that are very popular. He had his own Fort Nite event. He literally has his own McDonalds meal. You had to have at least heard his name. Am I just a filthy casual who just so happens to be on these forums as well :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Megatron

Stop with this console war bs, Travis Scott is way more known then that Daniel guy marketing the Xbox. Pretty sure Microsoft only decided to use a black guy after seeing Sony do it first.

Everyone is using black people in Their advertising right now to prove how woke they are. It would be more surprising if they weren’t doing it.

Autotune is a tool. Nothing else. It's like complaining about a vocoder

Music is and always was subjective, so you saying he got no talent is like saying I like apples but dislike strawberries.
He obviously does something right though, otherwise he wouldn't be where he is.

Aight bro, if thats all you have to do then go ahead. You should have a nr 1. album by next week by how you talking.

I dislike a lot of music so having an opinion is completely fine. If you go the extra mile by trying to judge art objectively though, then you just end up sounding like a pretentious douche.
I listen to all kinds of music, from all era's and all genres, some popular stuff, some completely obscure stuff and even if I dislike a certaint song or work of an artist I'd never act like my preferences are better than other's.
Criticism is fine and all, but it should be constructive and helpful. This type of thought ("this artist is objectively bad because of autotune and lyrics about drugs, back then musicians at least played real instruments") doesn't help though, because it's limited to your opinion/your preferences. How does it come, that some people can go back to songs from the 80s for example and enjoy them or at the very least respect the effort but other people listening to newer tracks end up shit talking them to the ground in the likes of "anyone can do this" or "its just mumbling" etc.?
Well you certainly had to go through the whole thread to find my posts, what gives? Using auto tune in maybe a song or two is fine, but when you rely on it for just about every song, that's when you start to lose my interest.

Where did I say he has no talent since you dug through the thread for my posts? I never said that, so please don't try and imply that I said something I didn't.

Why can't I not like Travis Scott music then? I love good music for what it is, but when you don't have lyrical quality, what am I going to listen to? His instrumentals that he didn't produce? As an example, I liked old school Kanye, and he used auto tune a bit back then but he at least had good lyrical content before he went crazy a couple albums back.

I never understood the mentality of gatekeeping an artists music. Simply if you don't like em, you don't like em. Hate me all you want, but it won't change my opinion on what's good or not.

Bonus round: I've produced music, built all kinds sound systems/studios, and have the greatest appreciation of music out of anyone I know. Just cause I don't care for your favorite artist, doesn't mean I don't like good music. It just doesn't align with what you perceive as good music.

Rap is shit and an affront to the community that gave birth to Blues, Soul and the almighty Jazz. Nice marketing move by Sony, but God is that “music” trash...
Rap is not shit :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for stating your opinion as fact though
The community also gave birth to rock and roll and techno

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Well you certainly had to go through the whole thread to find my posts, what gives?

I was reading the whole thread, you just sticked out with that old head mentality the most. Sorry if you dislike being quoted on a forum.

Where did I say he has no talent since you dug through the thread for my posts? I never said that, so please don't try and imply that I said something I didn't.
You didn't outright say he is talentless, but you implied it several times. What else are you supposed to get from this?

"No offense, but that isn't helping lol. They should have went with someone more talented to say the least."

Why can't I not like Travis Scott music then?
I have never said you are not allowed to dislike an artist. Go read again.

I love good music for what it is, but when you don't have lyrical quality, what am I going to listen to? His instrumentals that he didn't produce?

Well yeah? Sounds more like you have a appreciation for lyrics and poetry, but a lot of artists don't care about being lyrical and only use vocals as an additional layer for their music, which is what you should listen to if someone doesn't deliver on that front. Also Travis is known to produce a lot of his own, so there is that.

Hate me all you want, but it won't change my opinion on what's good or not.
Which is not my goal. Again, work on your reading comprehension.

Bonus round: I've produced music, built all kinds sound systems/studios, and have the greatest appreciation of music out of anyone I know. Just cause I don't care for your favorite artist, doesn't mean I don't like good music. It just doesn't align with what you perceive as good music.
So did I and a lot of people. Doesn't make you special because you produced a few tracks 20 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinjaBoiX

I feel like Travis Scott is a cool dude but fuck me his music is fucking woeful. That whole genre of snare heavy, sub-bass, auto tuned mumble rap is an instant “off” for me. That’s not hip-hop man...
his voice is still great without autotune, he does it mostly for effects

See he sounds great here! The music could be better but at least he’s actually rapping, and pretty damn well too.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I don’t know who he is... I am that not into rap.. honesty don’t care much abt rap as well. Except old school.
But I think the atmosphere in the commercial is cool.

For the people thinking that if you like this ad you instantly have a bad taste in music... I can honestly tell you that my taste in music most likely shits on your taste all over quality wise and performance wise.

Yes; my horse is that high.

I was reading the whole thread, you just sticked out with that old head mentality the most. Sorry if you dislike being quoted on a forum.

You didn't outright say he is talentless, but you implied it several times. What else are you supposed to get from this?

"No offense, but that isn't helping lol. They should have went with someone more talented to say the least."

I have never said you are not allowed to dislike an artist. Go read again.

Well yeah? Sounds more like you have a appreciation for lyrics and poetry, but a lot of artists don't care about being lyrical and only use vocals as an additional layer for their music, which is what you should listen to if someone doesn't deliver on that front. Also Travis is known to produce a lot of his own, so there is that.

Which is not my goal. Again, work on your reading comprehension.

So did I and a lot of people. Doesn't make you special because you produced a few tracks 20 years ago.
So you are trying to say he's so talented, and I say I don't care for his lyrics, then you tell me this mumbo jumbo about artists using vocals to layer their tracks... So does he have good lyrical content or not? You don't even seem to be so sure about that yourself.

You need to work on your reading comprehension. There's nowhere that I said I produced tracks 20 years ago. I'm not sure why you are so triggered that I don't like Travis Scott. Its even crazier to me that you care so much about my opinions on the matter as well. I just enjoy good music. Rap is my favorite genre of music, but I just don't care for HIS music. I gave my option and you can't stand the fact that there are people out there that don't share the same sentiment. If you aren't trying to change my mind, then why are you so upset, unable to take the loss, and move on?

Rac3r

Travis Scott is huge. Astroworld 's first week streams are top 10 all time. Literally anyone I know in the U.S. who's under 35 knows who he is. Whether you like his music or not, it's genius marketing by Sony, and a huge demographic will see it. Meanwhile, Xbox has Jeff Grubb.

Sony's marketing team embraces peripheral persuasion and it's working well for them.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
So you are trying to say he's so talented, and I say I don't care for his lyrics, then you tell me this mumbo jumbo about artists using vocals to layer their tracks... So does he have good lyrical content or not? You don't even seem to be so sure about that yourself.
mumbo jumbo? Most music does not have deep lyrics if any at all. Not everyone cares about it, because above all music should sound good. Lyrical songs or songs with a deep message can be very nice and its an impressive skill, but its not an necessity for good music. Travis talks about the typical rapper topics and isn't a lyrical rapper in my book, but he shines with his production and compositions. His flow is nice too.
I am 100% sure about that, you on the other seem to only enjoy "lyrical miracle" type of tracks, hence the question what you suppose to do if a rapper doesn't shine with his lyrics.
There's nowhere that I said I produced tracks 20 years ago.
1w31zd.jpg

I gave my option and you can't stand the fact that there are people out there that don't share the same sentiment. If you aren't trying to change my mind, then why are you so upset, unable to take the loss, and move on?

Actually I don't give a flying fuck if you like him or not. I am also not upset. You are implying a lot of made up shit, but thats not what my og reply was about. Please fix your reading comprehension. Thanks!

Travis Scott is huge. Astroworld 's first week streams are top 10 all time. Literally anyone I know in the U.S. who's under 35 knows who he is. Whether you like his music or not, it's genius marketing by Sony, and a huge demographic will see it. Meanwhile, Xbox has Jeff Grubb.

Sony's marketing team embraces peripheral persuasion and it's working well for them.

At least Sony leveraged the connexions of one of its successful branches to promote another highly successful division. Could the company have learned its lessons after the many wasted opportunities that it has failed to capitalise on?

Just dropping on a PS thread to troll a bit and get a reaction out of some hoping for a dummy he can outclass. Funny thing is he got worked like usual. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
mumbo jumbo? Most music does not have deep lyrics if any at all. Not everyone cares about it, because above all music should sound good. Lyrical songs or songs with a deep message can be very nice and its an impressive skill, but its not an necessity for good music. Travis talks about the typical rapper topics and isn't a lyrical rapper in my book, but he shines with his production and compositions. His flow is nice too.
I am 100% sure about that, you on the other seem to only enjoy "lyrical miracle" type of tracks, hence the question what you suppose to do if a rapper doesn't shine with his lyrics.
So Travis doesn't have great lyrics... Talks about typical rapper stuff... His production isn't all that amazing. Look at Big Krit for a good example of his own lyrics, his own production, and he didn't talk about what every rapper does. Want another example? J Cole. Even kendrick Lamar. I don't care for either of these two, but those are better examples than Travis Scott.

Hell, Three 6 Mafia did it all. $uicideBoy$ followed suit.

Music doesn't have to be about being serious or always having deep lyrics. Travis just doesn't have great lyrical content or great production to me. I never cared for his stuff from Owl Pharaoh or his projects after that. And especially with the whole fortnite and mcdonald's ordeal... Hard pass.

50, T.I, Dr. Dre, Rick Ross, etc all have done ventures after their music, but they didn't stoop low to doing shows for 11 year old kids doing fortnite dances.

1w31zd.jpg

Actually I don't give a flying fuck if you like him or not. I am also not upset. You are implying a lot of made up shit, but thats not what my og reply was about. Please fix your reading comprehension. Thanks!
Me implying shit? You do realize you are the one quoting several people who don't like Travis's music. That's cringe. Are you his biggest fan? Are you gonna get paid for defending his honor in gaming forum?

isual

im not into travis scott music, but for those that do, what sort of emotion or environment do you get out of it?

Xbox has Snoop Dog... doesn't have the same clout with the younger generation as he used to but if deployed properly gets the job done.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
There's some self exposing ignorant racist idiots up in here.

Wipe off that dripping jelly and hate off your chin, they got their PS5s and YOU don't!! Deal with it and move tha fk on..

Sony should have given a PS5 to that piece of braindead shit in your avatar. A missed opportunity in tapping into the paedo gaming community....

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
. Look at Big Krit for a good example of his own lyrics, his own production, and he didn't talk about what every rapper does. Want another example? J Cole. Even kendrick Lamar. I don't care for either of these two, but those are better examples than Travis Scott.
You do realise that Kendrick and J.Cole are big? For someone that follows rap its almost impossible to have never heard about them. I also know about Big Krit. Thank you though.
Travis just doesn't have great lyrical content or great production to me. I never cared for his stuff from Owl Pharaoh or his projects after that. And especially with the whole fortnite and mcdonald's ordeal... Hard pass.
Thats completely fine.
50, T.I, Dr. Dre, Rick Ross,
None of them expect maybe Dr. Dre are still relevant in music. Travis Scott is though and he is only in the game for like 5 years.

You do realize you are the one quoting several people who don't like Travis's music.

Actually, I was quoting you. There were others I've quoted but I am only talking to you about Travis Scott.

Are you gonna get paid for defending his honor in gaming forum?
That would be quite nice actually, but sadly no. Do you get paid for hating on new age rappers, because they don't got the type of sound you grew up with and prefer?

You do realise that Kendrick and J.Cole are big? For someone that follows rap its almost impossible to have never heard about them. I also know about Big Krit. Thank you though.

Thats completely fine.

None of them expect maybe Dr. Dre are still relevant in music. Travis Scott is though and he is only in the game for like 5 years.

Actually, I was quoting you. There were others I've quoted but I am only talking to you about Travis Scott.

That would be quite nice actually, but sadly no. Do you get paid for hating on new age rappers, because they don't got the type of sound you grew up with and prefer?
There's plenty of good new age music out. That's what you just don't get about me. I listen to many genres and can appreciate a vast amount of music. I just don't like Travis Scott's music. I left my opinion, and you keep quoting me because I don't like his music lol.

Also who cares about what's relevant? I'm not going to listen to someone because a bunch of fortnite kids are bumping it from the backseat of their moms van, on the way to middle school. I personally find the best music is underground, and the best movies aren't the most popular ones. Just like the best food isn't McDonald's because of their popularity. I'd much rather a quality burger.

Different strokes for different folks bro. Let it go.

im not into travis scott music, but for those that do, what sort of emotion or environment do you get out of it?
You should ask @SpongebobSquaredance. There's some strong emotions going on about Travis Scott, that some of us just don't get. But that's the beauty of having our own opinions.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't like Travis Scott's music. I left my opinion, and you keep quoting me because I don't like his music lol
Thats fine, but why can't you say your opinion without acting all conceited about it.
That sentiment about autotune alone. You can't have audio fidelity. when using autotune? Thats stupid!
And people that like this ad and/or Travis Scott are sheep? wth!?
I am sure you can say your opinion without sounding like you are the measure of all things.

Also who cares about what's relevant? I'm not going to listen to someone because a bunch of fortnite kids are bumping it from the backseat of their moms van, on the way to middle school. I personally find the best music is underground, and the best movies aren't the most popular ones. Just like the best food isn't McDonald's because of their popularity. I'd much rather a quality burger.
Sure, but that is not the point. You've said " 50, T.I, Dr. Dre, Rick Ross, etc all have done ventures after their music, but they didn't stoop low to doing shows for 11 year old kids doing fortnite dances."
It wouldn't make sense for Travis Scott to cut back his music in favor of another venture. Not at this moment.
And I mean if this fortnite dance thing really upsets you that much, 50 Cent is a fucking troll and Rick Ross used to be a correctional officer. Is that better?

Thats fine, but why can't you say your opinion without acting all conceited about it.
That sentiment about autotune alone. You can't have audio fidelity when using autotune? Thats stupid!

Sure, but that is not the point. You've said " 50, T.I, Dr. Dre, Rick Ross, etc all have done ventures after their music, but they didn't stoop low to doing shows for 11 year old kids doing fortnite dances."
It wouldn't make sense for Travis Scott to cut back his music in favor of another venture. Not at this moment.
And I mean if this fortnite dance thing really upsets you that much, 50 Cent is a fucking troll and Rick Ross used to be a correctional officer. Is that better?
Me having an opinion is now being conceited? Should I not be confident in what I like or don't like? Its not like I'm telling everyone in here to NOT listen to his music. I just don't care for it, just like I don't care for the reliance of heavy auto tune, whining/mumbling over basic beats.

69 snitched, and people still listen to that shit, but that's besides the point. Other rappers made alcoholic beverages like Wayne, 50, Ross, Diddy, etc. But they didn't stoop to fortnite levels whether it be in their music career or after it. I only mentioned the little kids, because alot of them are the ones playing his music, and it further reiterated me not caring about his music even further. I prefer more adult stuff.

Anyways, I'm going to bed. Hopefully I won't have any more quotes after this.

Relativ9

his voice is still great without autotune, he does it mostly for effects

I looked him up, that clip is a thousand times better than any of the 4 songs I heard (most popular ones)...fuck me culture today is going to shit. I thought I would at least hit 35 before I turned into an out of touch old man complaining about "kids these days".

But hey, Sony needs to appeal to the wides possible audience I guess, would it be superior of me to assume that the kind of person that listens to Travis Scott music is the only kind of person who would let their purchasing decision be influanced by a celebrity endorsement/advertising campaign?

Last edited:
If I was their marketing target group, this would turn me off because associating yourself with trash musicians and their trash music would get you minus points from me. But, knowing today’s youth taste this will be smash hit probably. Too bad.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Me having an opinion is now being conceited?
Yes, it does sound conceited. Please go back to your older comments. It really comes off as if anyone who likes Travis Scott gets titled as having a shit taste with sheep mentality and whatnot. lol
And again, you having preferences is completely fine, but something like "autotune doesn't allow for audio fidelity" just sounds like you put an objection to music. Its about setting the tone, communication and language, you know.

69 snitched, and people still listen to that shit,
Yes, because its like a car crash. His songs don't have much staying power though, at least if you go by chart positions. I have no doubt he makes good money, but people only check in to see what the clown has done again. If there wouldn't be streaming I doubt he would be still successful.

Anyways, I'm going to bed. Hopefully I won't have any more quotes after this.
iu

Sony should have given a PS5 to that piece of braindead shit in your avatar. A missed opportunity in tapping into the paedo gaming community....

Aweeee that triggered your bum ass with Travis and now ma boi 69 you racist dum-dum..awee. Don't worry about my avi stay on topic.

Peep this, Travis will rock in the Sony community for years to come and he's got first dibs on PS5 and NOT you!! There's not a goddamn thing you gonna do about it....Orta 🤭

Ma dude Takeshi getting BILLION views off his new joints with no sweat, and i agree he should get a PS5 no questions asked. 69 a walking billboard here slashing all kinds of records in the music scene..King of New Yawk you bitch ass hater. All charges were dropped against him by hiring a girl to one of his videos while she was lying her age/fake ID so @#$% is you talking about? Stay in your lane snow ❄

Shut your Cave doors and keep playing your vidya gms little dude 👶, too ignorant and irrelevant...nneexxxxt!

Relativ9

On another note, why do people say things are "fire" now? Can't we just use the good old words like "awesome", "great", "fantastic", "spectacular", "amazing", or even *puts hand on hip; "fabulous"? It doesn't even work gramatically, "fire" is a noun not an adjective, you can't say that something is "pretty fire" without literally meaning that the particular physical phenomenon of fire you are observing is "pretty"...

iu

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Aweeee that triggered your bum ass with Travis and now ma boi 69 you racist dum-dum..awee. Don't worry about my avi stay on topic.

Peep this, Travis will rock in the Sony community for years to come and he's got first dibs on PS5 and NOT you!! There's not a goddamn thing you gonna do about it....Orta 🤭

Ma dude Takeshi getting BILLION views off his new joints with no sweat, and i agree he should get a PS5 no questions asked. 69 a walking billboard here slashing all kinds of records in the music scene..King of New Yawk you bitch ass hater. All charges were dropped against him by hiring a girl to one of his videos while she was lying her age/fake ID so @#$% is you talking about? Stay in your lane snow ❄

Shut your Cave doors and keep playing your vidya gms little dude 👶, too ignorant and irrelevant...nneexxxxt!

I'm sorry? I don't speak braindead.

Have a nice day.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Also it's good investment as he's already under Sony Music.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Easy to pick out the Era rejects in this thread.
Calling a person of colors music bad is racist... LOL yeah fuck off.

peronmls

Easy to pick out the Era rejects in this thread.
Calling a person of colors music bad is racist... LOL yeah fuck off.
It's just bad music with the same sounding beat. Unfortunatly the US and people in this world think barely opening you mouth in a song is amazing. Rap is just a lazy mans music. It's not "cool" or "chill". Just boring and uninspiring. It's just forced marketing that makes these people popular.

Last edited:

docbot

Banned
Why did they send it to some nobody? Instead of someone whom is famous like Eminem or Dr. dre etc, if it had to be a rapper?

And yes, this dude is _nobody_ because first time I heard about him were from this PS5 thing, even that sixty9er dude that looks like kids drawing paper is more universally known than this dude
mkay granpa

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Bringing in a high caliber rapper like Travis Scott was a good move for Nike, McDonald’s and SONY, it’s possible it’ll bring in more sales.

Top Bottom