• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trevor Noah is doing an absolutely excellent job with the Daily Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been a fan.

Bee >>>>>> Oliver

John Oliver was fine at first but his material is so formulaic ("Topic! It's like the A of B") that it's gotten distracting and hard to find especially funny. Also the yelling a kid's name thing sucks.

Reading the bolded made me laugh more than I should have.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I think he's doing TDS way better than Bee or Oliver would if they had to do episodes every day rather than get a full week between episodes. With that in context - I think he's doing a good job. Though hard for anyone to top Stewart / Colbert at their peak.

I think Trevor is doing a great job and being a great guy, even though some of his comedic bits are cringeworthingly lame.

But unfortunately, the footsteps he has to fill are just a couple of sizes too big. Stewart was an absolute legend, one in a generation, and he is sorely missed by me during the Rise (and Fall?) of Donald Trump.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Disagree. The correspondents are carrying the show. Particularly Jordan Klepper, he could be the next Colbert if CC wanted to do that. Roy Wood Jr is also great as is Desi and Hassan. I don't care for Ronnie all that much and the curly hair white girl (michelle i think) OMG KILL ME..

I've watched the daily show every night for almost a decade now. Trevor is serviceable and he's certainly making improvements but 'absolutely excellent', nah not quite there yet. He still laughs to much at his own jokes, he lacks the gravitas that certain subjects need, and his interviews are worse than Fallon.

SoulUnison

Banned
Ah, I was just catching up on some episodes from last week while I did my daily workout, and it's Michelle Wolf - I couldn't remember the name before. She's absolutely the weak link in the lineup right now. There's something about her voice and candor/delivery that make her unpleasant to watch. People say they don't like how Noah laughs at his own jokes and generally seems self-satisfied, and I've never gotten that vibe from him, but holy shit do I suddenly understand what you mean watching Michelle.

She reminds me of the woman from an Onion video from a few years ago who just keeps talking louder and louder on the phone about extremely personal and embarrassing topics until the anchorwoman finally calls her and tells her she needs to shut the heck up. She's got this nasal, whiny voice, she's constantly flubbing lines, and she's always smiling and laughing at her own bits harder than the audience ever is.

I just don't understand how she got the job at all.

A couple of her pieces have the only times I can think of in more than a decade that I've shut off an episode because I just couldn't handle how painful it was.

John Oliver was fine at first but his material is so formulaic ("Topic! It's like the A of B") that it's gotten distracting and hard to find especially funny.
Also the yelling a kid's name thing sucks.

At least he seems to have finally stopped screaming and repeating "Janice from Accounting" as though it's the greatest joke ever written.

I think he's doing TDS way better than Bee or Oliver would if they had to do episodes every day rather than get a full week between episodes. With that in context - I think he's doing a good job. Though hard for anyone to top Stewart / Colbert at their peak.

Yeah, the comparisons to Bee/Oliver/Maher are kind of weird. A weekly show (where you can work on material for a week and pick the best stuff to respond to) is VASTLY different from a show you're doing four days a week.

Tarydax

Banned
Trevor Noah just seems too disconnected, like he's playing a character and not being himself (it seems like he doesn't have a stake in whatever he would be talking about in a given episode). Even when he was just phoning it in, I liked Jon Stewart more as a host.

Roy Wood Jr. and Jordan Klepper are great, though.

Trevor Noah just seems too disconnected, like he's playing a character and not being himself (it seems like he doesn't have a stake in whatever he would be talking about in a given episode). Even when he was just phoning it in, I liked Jon Stewart more as a host.

Roy Wood Jr. and Jordan Klepper are great, though.
Trevor is certainly starting to grow on me, and all of the main correspondents are great. And Roy and Jordan work very well together. :) So all in all I think the show is finding its groove. :)

Infinite

Yeah, the comparisons to Bee/Oliver/Maher are kind of weird. A weekly show (where you can work on material for a week and pick the best stuff to respond to) is VASTLY different from a show you're doing four days a week.
That and particularly with maher and Oliver those shows aren't necessarily funny to me. I don't want Maher's show anymore so I can't comment on how that goes now but Oliver just plays the exasperated white man who's rightfully fed up with things that don't work. It's makes for something cool you can share on Facebook for all your liberal friends to nod and agree with while mashing he like button but it isn't funny for me. It's more informative than anything especially if the issue he's taking down isn't something I'm familiar with. Also Oliver's schtick is screaming "fuck you *insert issue here*, fuck you" while the audience laughs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom