• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Fusion has a dev team of 210?

Bsigg12

This is the first time the game has launched on more than one console rather than being ported after the fact. It makes sense to me.

MormaPope

Banned
This new Trials game is coming out on 4 platforms this time instead of 2, but that doesn't really explain a hundred extra people being needed. The time development time between Evolution and Fusion is a bit shorter compared to Trials HD -> Evolution, two years versus three years.

Guess Ubisoft feels confident that Trials will sell decently on PS4 and PC at launch.

lt519

Seems like a pretty high average salary.

Plus I doubt the workforce is entirely dedicated, probably includes a bunch of uPlay shit that is grouped in.

I hope you're right, but that average salary estimate was generous. Most play testers average the bottom of what I listed.

Since its a ubisoft game they probably needed devs to :

-squeeze in hunting
-squeeze in some kind of tower to "sync" with
-squeeze in 10000 meaningless collectables

and then probably an additional 50 people to take it all out after they realized its a motorbike game.

Zabka

Looking forward to the Uplay social web game that lets me earn Nitro Points (and the occasional Fuel Can) while away from my console.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't even know this game existed until today!

Then this is probably the last Trials we're gonna get. Between Ubisoft and Square-Enix I'm not sure which 'AAA' publisher has the worst management. This game will fall short of Ubi's expectations and then they'll blame used games, piracy, 'rising development costs', fans and everything else they can instead of blaming themselves. It's like these multi-million dollar companies are run by a bunch of dogs.

Mechazawa

Are all hands on deck for Trials at RedLynx?

And I have to imagine that a lot of those 100 extra people had a superfluous role in the game's development.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This is a Ubi game.

It's not 210 people actively dedicated to this project.

"they've been put to task squashing bugs, powering up servers, and for comparing notes with on the early days of next-gen development"

It just seems like a lot of "Hey, we need this. Can someone help us out real quick?" kind of stuff.

This is a Ubi game.

It's not 210 people actively dedicated to this project.

"they've been put to task squashing bugs, powering up servers, and for comparing notes with on the early days of next-gen development"

It just seems like a lot of "Hey, we need this. Can someone help us out real quick?" kind of stuff.

I sure as hell hope so.

I suspect these numbers are often misleading. Let's say 200 people "touched" the game. Maybe 100 of those people only worked on it in the final 3 months, as they were rapidly testing and making sure network stuff was all good.

Also important to note that the previous game only came out on the 360 at first. This game is showing up on 4 platforms day one. That's a lot more work.

Rlan

Also consider that this is the first multi-platform version of Trials ever at the same time.

Trials HD and Trials Evolution were Xbox Live Arcade only (but Evo got ported to PC much later on)

Trials Fusion is coming to PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3 and PS4 at the same time.

And they've been workiing on Trials Frontier, the mobile version as well. Both games probably use similar engines, so the team gets a fair bit bigger. Not to mention a lot of back end for the level editing stuff.

Well, it is a cross-gen title.

But I doubt Ubisoft has all these people working full-time on the game. They just want us to buy into more manpower = better game.

If that number includes their QA staff as well as devs, artists and producers, then I'm not really surprised.

Plus, the game is coming to a bunch of platforms.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sounds more like 100 extra staff from ubisoft for QA, server setup etc. so maybe technically the trials team was over 200 for a couple of months towards the end, but I very much doubt for the full two years.

But this does make me wary. Trials was one of those 'lightning in a bottle' games, made by a small team but just about perfect. Now they want to capitalise on that but adding so many cooks, I just hope they don't spoil the broth.

210 people split across four teams (it is releasing on four different platforms after all) is only 52.5 people per team.

Seems reasonable to me.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds more like 100 extra staff from ubisoft for QA, server setup etc. so maybe technically the trials team was over 200 for a couple of months towards the end, but I very much doubt for the full two years.

But this does make me wary. Trials was one of those 'lightning in a bottle' games, made by a small team but just about perfect. Now they want to capitalise on that but adding so many cooks, I just hope they don't spoil the broth.

I think Ubisoft likes to keep all their teams free flowing between projects, so it could be not just QA but artists and programmers that contributed some work for just one month before moving on to some other project.

Kura

Banned
I'll be happy if the online works flawlessly, not like Trials Evolution: Gold Edition on Steam.

Man, that was so broken = (

Trials HD and Evolution we're two of my most played games this generation. i've spent many nights shit talking friends on Xbox Live competing over times and records on all the different courses, or just playing around with the user created tracks. great memories getting drunk and competitive with my friends playing the Trials games for sure. can't wait to download Trials Fusion for Playstation 4 whenever i pick one up later this year.

210 people split across four teams (it is releasing on four different platforms after all) is only 52.5 people per team.

Seems reasonable to me.

Well, it's not exactly that cut and dry. There is usually a main team making the actual game and then smaller satellite teams that are porting it to whichever system.

So yeah, that adds some people. Next gen platforms (and PC... I hope, since they did nothing for the pc version of evolution) take bigger teams because of increased fidelity. That adds some people. Ubisoft is probably exaggerating, so that subtracts some people from the total.

In the end I don't think it's as bad as it sounds... but ubisoft and efficient don't belong in the same sentence.

Sendou

Seems fair to me. People shouldn't forget that Trials was pretty damn profitable this past generation. In fact Trials HD was one of the best sellers in XBLA's life. Don't underestimate the title just because it's not retail. I don't understand the attitude behind throwing a tantrum when the team making a game is little bigger. At worst it's just more people with jobs, you know?

Bedlam

Meanwhile I just paid $20 for a game made by a single guy and I'm enjoying it greatly (Banished). I also enjoy the fact that it has no microtransactions and the only DLC will be user made mods.

Well that explains the $40 season pass + game retail bundle I saw earlier today.

Yup!
JitNNp8.png
Well, that's it then. Not buying. I hate that shit.

Seanspeed

Banned
Meanwhile I just paid $20 for a game made by a single guy and I'm enjoying it greatly (Banished). I also enjoy the fact that it has no microtransactions and the only DLC will be user made mods.

Well, that's it then. Not buying. I hate that shit.
You're not buying it because it will have optional content added later?

KumaJG

Well, it's not exactly that cut and dry. There is usually a main team making the actual game and then smaller satellite teams that are porting it to whichever system.

So yeah, that adds some people. Next gen platforms (and PC... I hope, since they did nothing for the pc version of evolution) take bigger teams because of increased fidelity. That adds some people. Ubisoft is probably exaggerating, so that subtracts some people from the total.

In the end I don't think it's as bad as it sounds... but ubisoft and efficient don't belong in the same sentence.

Please do not remind me :(. Ubisoft has more delays than Sony, which is a big feat.

Sendou

Please do not remind me :(. Ubisoft has more delays than Sony, which is a big feat.

Well people have to remember that RedLynx was independent until recently. Just because now Ubisoft is helping them with some heavy lifting doesn't mean they wouldn't be efficient like they used to be.

Well it's french company so that's probably 50 managers, 100 office workers and 50 people working on game itself with 10 in Q&A.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Is this going to be MS exclusive again or on PlayStation as well? Perhaps the staff increase is to release on Xbox, PS and PC at the same time?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Just going to repeat what I said elsewhere about this: even with the rank incompetence of Ubisoft's garbage software production pipeline, I don't understand how a game that's pretty much materially identical to one that took like 15 people to make now takes 210 people.

Imagine an Xbox Arcade game with a $60 pricetag

Top Bottom